As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Killzone] Shadow Falls in 3 days.

13»

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Uh....That was Jeff playing.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Finished Killzone, enjoyed single player, definitely liked it more than 2 or 3.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Can you comment on a couple of things for me: What did you think of the games difficulty and did you feel levels were very empty, devoid of mans to shoot?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can you comment on a couple of things for me: What did you think of the games difficulty and did you feel levels were very empty, devoid of mans to shoot?
    It was relatively difficult until I started using tactical echo a lot. Still got difficult in spots, but nothing like the end of Killzone 2.

Didnt seem to feel devoid of enemies, maybe in 1 or 2 spots.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The ending of Killzone 2 has so many happy memories for me of watching my flatmate slowly be driven to genuine insanity by it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I had more problems with the ending of Killzone 3. That final spacecraft descent trying to shoot down incoming missiles was the worst way to end what was otherwise an enjoyable ground pounding shooter.

• BelgarionBelgarion Registered User regular
    I loved the Killzone series on PS3 so I'm guessing that I'll like the debut on PS4. I really am looking forward to what they can do with more development time.

I definitely liked the feel of this one better. Given 2 and 3 had you in the middle of wars, I liked the tone of this one a lot more.

• SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    @Drakeon

I picked this up last night and I'll have my PS4 today when I get out of work. My PSN name is Hellcore- if you want to add me to the list. I'd be down to shoot dudes with you guys.

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The end of Killzone 2 is one of my favorite things in video games. What a brutal fight. How's the multi?

fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So.....

Any one have any thoughts on Shadow Fall? Looking forward to getting it with my PS4, but the tumble weeds in here are worry some.

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    So.....

Any one have any thoughts on Shadow Fall? Looking forward to getting it with my PS4, but the tumble weeds in here are worry some.

This being my first game in the series, I'm enjoying it. The story itself is nothing exceptional so far but it's decent enough for a console FPS. It probably makes a bit more sense and sounds a bit less like claptrap to someone with series background. It's good though, a bit difficult at times but never to outragous levels. And maaaaaan is it pretty, I often have to stop to admire the surroundings. The OWL is cool, if that's a new thing?

Apparently there are some bullshit missions near the end, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I also haven't played multiplayer yet.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    The OWL is a new thing, yes. I'll probably get it once I get a PS4. I played the other three, so why not this one?

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just played multi for the first time on botmatch. Have you always been made of glass like this in multiplayer? If a bot farts a bullet in my general direction my head explodes. All it takes is a single not even burst, but spurt to die.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'll join you next year fellas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa_B0moeQ2Q

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I finally tore myself away from Black Flag to play this. Man, it looks gorgeous. Wasn't too fond of the space station level, which went a bit too creepy when I want to just shoot things, bit the mission afterward really gets back to things going boom.

-Loki- on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So, finished this up late last night. Probably won't get into the multiplayer at all. I usually don't play FPS on the console because I'm terrible without a mouse and keyboard. It's just what I grew up with. Anyhow. Enjoyed the game overall. A few of the "mess up and you die and you get to replay this whole sequence again" sections were annoying. Found a few of those quite frustrating.

Ending spoilers.
    Wait, that's it? Oh no, here's another mission where you play as another character and we're going to slightly change up the game mechanics. Also, as someone who hasn't played the previous games. Is the ending significant at all? It just seemed to sort of happen without much weight behind it. I mean, I get that she may have prevented further war by committing the assasination, but then what? Or is there going to be more sequels?

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So, finished this up late last night. Probably won't get into the multiplayer at all. I usually don't play FPS on the console because I'm terrible without a mouse and keyboard. It's just what I grew up with. Anyhow. Enjoyed the game overall. A few of the "mess up and you die and you get to replay this whole sequence again" sections were annoying. Found a few of those quite frustrating.

Ending spoilers.
    Wait, that's it? Oh no, here's another mission where you play as another character and we're going to slightly change up the game mechanics. Also, as someone who hasn't played the previous games. Is the ending significant at all? It just seemed to sort of happen without much weight behind it. I mean, I get that she may have prevented further war by committing the assasination, but then what? Or is there going to be more sequels?

There will always be more sequels to Killzone - and Shadow Fall's entire narrative feels like a set-up for whatever that is. For folks who're on the fence about Shadow Fall, here's an amateur review - I like it. It's the best-looking PS4 game, bar none, it plays well (aside from its problems with indicating to the player what they should do next, which becomes a non-issue on subsequent playthroughs) and it offers a really cool, incredibly good-looking BladeRunner-esque sci-fi universe to traipse through.

It and ACIV:BF are easily the two big PS4 launch titles you shouldn't miss. And, unlike BF4, it never crashes.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    I just finished Shadow Fall. It's my Third Killzone game after the PSP and VITA titles. I will contain my rant in a spoiler, because spoilers...
    The final mission, and any stealth attempts at all, in this game are absolute shit. If a knife kill, or a silenced weapon alerts just as many people as a grenade, why have the mechanic at all? Echo's Cloak will only help you if you are 10-15 yards from an enemy, and god forbid there are more than one enemy near you. When I finally succeeded on the final mission, I went around bashing the skulls of Vektan Citizens in out of frustration, then proceeded to rush the objectives, and win.

Screw the Vektan people, we need a full Helghast campaign.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    I just finished Shadow Fall. It's my Third Killzone game after the PSP and VITA titles. I will contain my rant in a spoiler, because spoilers...
    The final mission, and any stealth attempts at all, in this game are absolute shit. If a knife kill, or a silenced weapon alerts just as many people as a grenade, why have the mechanic at all? Echo's Cloak will only help you if you are 10-15 yards from an enemy, and god forbid there are more than one enemy near you. When I finally succeeded on the final mission, I went around bashing the skulls of Vektan Citizens in out of frustration, then proceeded to rush the objectives, and win.

Screw the Vektan people, we need a full Helghast campaign.

That's... weird I didn't have much difficulty with Shadow Fall's stealth.

Does the sp get better? Cause I'm on The Shadow and the stealth mechanics are terrible. Should I even attempt stealth?

Does the sp get better? Cause I'm on The Shadow and the stealth mechanics are terrible. Should I even attempt stealth?

Stealth is only ever your opener. You can duck around corners, flank them and use it to your advantage in open combat, but you'll never get through SF going for full silence.

Just learn to maximize your use of the OWL - that's what SF's single-player is all about.

Yeah that first mission has that "Deniable Op" trophy so I thought stealth was possible. Been stuck on that mission for longer than I would like to admit.

Yeah that first mission has that "Deniable Op" trophy so I thought stealth was possible. Been stuck on that mission for longer than I would like to admit.

Don't feel bad. Once I got my gun, I was literally stuck in the very first room for like five minutes. It took me an unseemly amount of time to find the hole in the floor.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I finally got my PS4! This is the first game I tried because I wanted to see shinies. It's... Quite difficult? I'm on the first mission with the downed spacecraft. I love the open-plan nature of the level, but where the fuck are all these guys coming from? I'll seemingly clear an area, move forwards and get shot. I'll turn around, expecting some guy at Sniper range that I missed but no, there's a guy standing right behind me.

Also, the OWL is the shit.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I finally got my PS4! This is the first game I tried because I wanted to see shinies. It's... Quite difficult? I'm on the first mission with the downed spacecraft. I love the open-plan nature of the level, but where the fuck are all these guys coming from? I'll seemingly clear an area, move forwards and get shot. I'll turn around, expecting some guy at Sniper range that I missed but no, there's a guy standing right behind me.

Also, the OWL is the shit.

It's not as easy as most other FPSs, that's for sure. Keep moving towards your objectives and be ready to fight. Make liberal use of the sonar to locate incoming enemies. Don't let them flank you. The enemies can get aggressive as shit if you let yourself get pinned down.

Edit: forgot, hack those security alarms immediately.

Love this game. You're making me want to play through it again.

jeffinva on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Me too except I gave it to a coworker to keep as she didn't have any games for her ps4 and I did promise her it. Such a great game.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Co-op gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93DE0w9J-3w

PS4 needs RPGs before I pick one up.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So I'm late to the party, but i got this off an Amazon sale for $20. First off, the game is GORGEOUS. Destiny was really pretty as was Shadow of Mordor, but god damn. This game makes me REALLY happy there is a screen shot button. That's pretty funny, considering I'm like on the first board. The only thing that's off, and it's surprising, is the NPC's don't automatically track my poistion. The Dad in the intro was constantly staring at the floor having a heart felt conversation. That was odd.

That being said, I am getting FUCKED up. @Spaffy and I had similar experiences. I'm looking forward to putting more time into this. It's not the corridor shooter I was expecting. But so far, so good!

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Yeah, @DrunkMc, I enjoyed the game a lot, and it's definitely a great showcase for the graphical power of the PS4. It's linear and has some issues, sure, but as a fan of the KZ series, I really liked it. The MP was fun, too, while it lasted.

And yeah, it's fantastic for screenshots and video. It just looks so good.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This game bored me to death... It was pretty, but that was about it for me. Now, if we can get a Killzone game on PS4 that looks as good as or better than Shadowfall, but plays like KZ Mercenary...mmm! Day one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I picked this up on the cheap, and my god it looks incredible. So-so on the gameplay, but it's worth it to see the set pieces and amazing vistas. I think it was the 3rd mission (maybe) where you fly into the city when my jaw pretty much dropped.

I did notice it has the same weird issue as KZ3 where either my character is 4 foot nothing, or his eyes are in his chest, since everyone and everything looks weirdly tall.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu