As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    SonySantaMonica@gmail.com ?
    Am I missing something?
    At least the twitter account is "Verified".

[edit] Make it a Load Bearing Kratos Statue.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    An authentic Playstation Home.

It takes ages to get in the front door, the furniture is bland, and there's a bowling alley that he can't use.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    SonySantaMonica@gmail.com ?
    Am I missing something?
    At least the twitter account is "Verified".

[edit] Make it a Load Bearing Kratos Statue.

Sounds like it's a temporary account. Here's the reddit thread by the way:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1qwk0d/he_lost_his_house_in_the_tornado_yesterday_but/cdhccj4

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AaronsxedgeAaronsxedge Tokyo, JapanRegistered User regular
    The update killed my netflix again. Ugh.

Also two people from PA added me (Thanks!) but I got an error when I tried to accept. My notifications say I have two new friends, but they are not on my friends list. Anyone had this problem?

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
    PSN: Aaronsxedgex | YouTube: Aaronsxedge
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Hmm, does initial remote play set up require that both the PS4/Vita be on the same wifi network or within range for direct connection?

Just spent 10 minutes or so trying to set it up with my girlfriend from our respective houses and it couldn't get them to connect. Not sure if it's because of above reason or if I need to do some port forwarding.

I think it has to be direct and the PS4 able to reach the internet, but I'm only half sure on both.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Is there any way to know when Amazon will get a new supply?

About a month ago I clicked an option on the Amazon page to be notified when PS4s would be in stock. During my lunch break last week I was notified through email and I was able to add one to my cart and order it in a few minutes. I think I was able to get one since I'm on the other side of the world and everyone else was asleep at the time. It was without warning though. I didn't see anything before that instance of an impending restock.

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2013

About a month ago I clicked an option on the Amazon page to be notified when PS4s would be in stock. During my lunch break last week I was notified through email and I was able to add one to my cart and order it in a few minutes. I think I was able to get one since I'm on the other side of the world and everyone else was asleep at the time. It was without warning though. I didn't see anything before that instance of an impending restock.

On the xbox side of things, I got an email yesterday afternoon from amazon that at 8am EST today they would be putting xbox ones in stock. We shared that email in the thread, and a few people were able to buy in.

Just sign up to be notified on Amazon about the PS4, and you will be given ample warning, so long as it doesn't fall into a spam folder or something.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Now that I understand how to play Resogun, I like it a lot more now. Phobos is a shitty ship, stay away from it...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    My opinion of Knack is starting to change drastically.

It was fun at first. Knack is cute, the art style is kinda cool, and it's a fun diversion.

After progressing through the game I'm starting to feel like something went really wrong during its development.

Your health bar? Worthless. You will die if you get hit twice, no matter how big your health bar is. Oh, unless the enemy has one of those one-hit-fuck-you attacks. Then you will respawn back at what has to be one of the most unforgiving checkpoint systems I've played in a while.

I can't decide if they wanted to make the game longer by artificially inflating enemy damage so you die a lot or someone on the dev team was a big fan of Dark Souls.

I've also decided the best way to play this game is as if you are speed-running it. It's all about hitting the enemies on screen before they have a chance to attack.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    That's why I hope Knack gets a sequel. Refine this stuff, fix the lame shit and they'd have a decent new franchise on their hands.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    If I start a new game without playing to the end, do I still retain the parts I've found? I was thinking about playing through on easy. :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    RalgRalg Registered User regular
    Have to say I'm absolutely flabbergasted by how well the PS4 is doing. Good.

• Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    If I start a new game without playing to the end, do I still retain the parts I've found? I was thinking about playing through on easy. :P

I'm not sure. I restarted on easy before even finishing the garden area at the beginning of the game. I want to say no, you'll lose those parts. But I did get the trophy for beating up 100 robots after starting over, so I think those kills carried over.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    I got Knack from Gamefly. Sure glad I didn't buy it.

Old-school difficulty has its place - in niche indie games like Super Meat Boy. In a launch game appropriate for children? What were they thinking?

I set it to easy and it's still a slog.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Alex Navarro was very upset that someone in the comments to his review used the phrase "Knack Souls".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Reading these things about Knack makes me glad I decided to sit on it, as I thought it looked like a PS+ Candidate in 2014.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Has anyone gotten acinitiates.com to work with the PS4 version of Black Flag, yet?

Its getting on my nerves that it isn't recognizing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The difference between Knack and Souls is that in Souls your character gains abilities over time to help tip the scales a little more in your favor.

You can get those in Knack also. After you've played through the game completely a couple times to pick up the random parts of the upgrades.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Knack, but not those guardians with swords in chapter five. Fuck those things.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Aw damn....
    So it looks like ACinitiates.com does not support the PS4 yet. They are working to correct it. :(

So I guess submit a support ticket if you have AC4 so that they try to correct this. There are quite a few unlocks that you get in the game, so it looks like it'll be worth it. Just visiting it earned me some very cool unique sails, outfits, and it looks like resources.

EDIT:
    And a new Sea Shanty! AHHH! I want it!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Alex Navarro was very upset that someone in the comments to his review used the phrase "Knack Souls".

Haha, that is actually perfect. The game is ridiculously malicious in its difficulty, but I still like it. Hopefully there's a Knack 2 that saves its bullshit for the higher difficulty levels, though, definitely. Either way I'm having fun getting pissed at it, but I also like the occasional Nintendo Hard games. That speedrunning analogy is particularly apt, I've thought a couple times while playing it that it'd be an interesting game to learn how to run. Lots of patterns to learn, execution to hit right, and little optimization decisions --- basically the speedrunning trifecta.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Reading these things about Knack makes me glad I decided to sit on it, as I thought it looked like a PS+ Candidate in 2014.

I am positive Knack will be the first PS4 retail title on PS+

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    You can try keeping an eye on the Amazon games Facebook page, or on their twitter feed: https://twitter.com/amazongames

vamen wrote: »
    Amazon had an option to be notified on the Xbone page when they had new ones available (which is tomorrow, FYI), so I assume the order page for Playstation 4 does as well.

Thanks for the FB and Twitter tip @nusu

@vamen I signed up for email updates two or three months ago and have never received an email saying there are ps4s in stock.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    RE: Knack

They need to make re-sizing a whole lot more of a gameplay mechanic than it is. Make it like Katamari, where your goal is to reach a certain size so you can clear specific obstacles or enemies.

Also, the elemental stuff needs to have more of a gameplay affect than simply changing the way he looks.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    RE: Knack

They need to make re-sizing a whole lot more of a gameplay mechanic than it is. Make it like Katamari, where your goal is to reach a certain size so you can clear specific obstacles or enemies.

Also, the elemental stuff needs to have more of a gameplay affect than simply changing the way he looks.

Only if we get the Katamari theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

Knack is repetitive but I am still having fun with it. Should be able to wrap it up tonight.

• Options
    FITorion wrote: »
    zllehs wrote: »
    Gaikai intergration is coming in early 2014

Along with BC its supposed to bring increased speed to everything
    Sony revealed during its PlayStation 4 announcement that the PS4's cloud service would be provided by Gaikai and that the two companies intend to deliver several cloud-based capabilities on the PS4.

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

While the PS4 hardware is not natively backward compatible, Gaikai has expressed interest in providing legacy PlayStation titles on PS4 through Gaikai's cloud streaming service. This service has not been explicitly outlined or confirmed by Sony, but Dave Perry, Gaikai's founder, has stated that Gaikai's technology "is so advanced that some day we could easily [run] PS1, PS2, PS3, and the PS Mobile games on any device, including the PlayStation 4."[1]

INSTANT DEMOS

Gaikai has stated that its streaming technology will be capable of providing instant access to game demos via the PlayStation Store.[2]

REMOTE PLAY

Gaikai will enable PS4 games to be played remotely on the PlayStation Vita. Visit the Remote Play Wiki to learn more about Remote Play. This has proven to be effective and seamless, as developers do not have to do much work for compatibility to work. The process is seamless and though not without it's bugs is overall smooth and enjoyable.

SOCIAL GAMING AND STREAMING GAMEPLAY

According to Gaikai, its cloud streaming service will allow players to stream live gampelay from their PS4 to a friend's TV. Players will also be able to take over a friend's game remotely in the case that they need help overcoming a difficult portion of a game.[3]

SHARING

With the addition of the DualShock 4's share button, Gaikai can enable players to upload videos and screenshots to social networks such as Facebook and Ustream.

Gaikai and the ability it will provide for me to play The Last of Us is the entire reason I bought a PS4. I did not own a PS3 and sure as heck wasn't going to buy one with the PS4 coming out. If only they made a PC version I wouldn't have to stoop to using a console.

I'm extremely skeptical of this cloud gaming thing working anywhere that isn't a place like Japan. I live in a rural area, and even with almost the best internet I can buy, I can just barely stream videos in HD. I bet cloud gaming will require a really, really good upload speed, which just doesn't happen when your ISP is about 100 physical miles away.

• Options
    You can try keeping an eye on the Amazon games Facebook page, or on their twitter feed: https://twitter.com/amazongames

Amazon had an option to be notified on the Xbone page when they had new ones available (which is tomorrow, FYI), so I assume the order page for Playstation 4 does as well.

@vamen I signed up for email updates two or three months ago and have never received an email saying there are ps4s in stock.

I think you didn't sign up for the package or bundle that came in stock. I got the email for the launch editions as soon as they came in stock last week.

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
  • Options

I think you didn't sign up for the package or bundle that came in stock. I got the email for the launch editions as soon as they came in stock last week.

Hm. I will have to look at that.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Now that I understand how to play Resogun, I like it a lot more now. Phobos is a shitty ship, stay away from it...

Phobos is an awesome ship. Its regular attack deals more damage than the other two ships & the Overdrive lasts longer than the other ships as well. Only real downside is that the boost ability takes longer to charge so it has to be relegated mostly to emergency escape instead of an attack.

• Options
    Can I still sign up for an Amazon email alert? I cannot find that option for the BF4 bundle or the basic bundle

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Phobos is actually my favorite ship. I don't like the fast one with the weak overdrive though. Usually I just go with balanced.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    So Vita folks, what games work best with remote play? Resogun seems to work pretty well as long as you remap the bomb and drop human buttons. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have any subtitles, so I find it very difficult to play when I can't turn my sound up. You don't get the audio cues when human's are in danger or keepers are spawning.

Killzone seems difficult to play via remote play due to lack of buttons.... what are people's opinions?

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I was able to do some ship combat in AC4 on my Vita without too much trouble.

That said, it's not a feature I expect to use much until there's some RPGs or other turn-based things that I like playing in bed. Generally, if I want to play a game, I want to sit on my couch and play it on my TV.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thanks to the patch yesterday I can not get enough Assassins Creed multiplayer on my Vita.

I like the story so much that I want to experience it on a big screen, so I havent touched it yet, but I'm sure its fine. But the multiplayer is just oooooooooooooooooh so sweet on the vita.

Also LEGO Marvel is fantastic on the Vita. Its perfect. Its what should have been the actual Vita game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Knack. Blah. I love the idea and the art style but the execution is so, so bad. Plus it seems to take itself way too damn seriously even with the lighthearted art style.

Pleasantly surprised by Killzone. Love the fact that it's not a complete brownfest.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I'm primarily planning on using the Vita remote play feature for horror games so that I don't have to worry about my young daughters walking in on me and getting nightmares.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

That's not why he was upset. He was upset because the person who called it Knack Souls basically went on to call him an idiot because he thought (correctly) that Knack was terrible. The person was your typical internet fanboy who thought Knack was this great transcendent franchise that was going to change gaming, like Dark Souls. Alex Navarro was not the only one who thought the guy was an idiot.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    My opinion of Knack is starting to change drastically.

It was fun at first. Knack is cute, the art style is kinda cool, and it's a fun diversion.

After progressing through the game I'm starting to feel like something went really wrong during its development.

Your health bar? Worthless. You will die if you get hit twice, no matter how big your health bar is. Oh, unless the enemy has one of those one-hit-fuck-you attacks. Then you will respawn back at what has to be one of the most unforgiving checkpoint systems I've played in a while.

I can't decide if they wanted to make the game longer by artificially inflating enemy damage so you die a lot or someone on the dev team was a big fan of Dark Souls.

I've also decided the best way to play this game is as if you are speed-running it. It's all about hitting the enemies on screen before they have a chance to attack.

All this is true. It was charming at first, and the unforgiving combat felt tight - but it's just the same goddamned room over and over, whether you're tiny Knack or colossal Knack - the dynamics and mechanics of combat are identical, making those giant fights feel largely identical to the small ones.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That's why I hope Knack gets a sequel. Refine this stuff, fix the lame shit and they'd have a decent new franchise on their hands.

Consider this, though - all the cash that went into funding Knack could have funded, say, a PS4-native Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper. Sony's already got some excellent kid-friendly mascots, attached to excellent games - and Knack ain't.

Also, on Resogun ships - Nemesis ftw.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Unless Knack somehow becomes a sales blockbuster I seriously doubt we'll get a sequel.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Rhiley wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I am positive Knack will be the first PS4 retail title on PS+

I doubt it. Sony has publicly said that they look for games with 70+ on Metacritic for IGC. Some games have of course been below that but it's not the norm.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
This discussion has been closed.