As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Ethics 101: Hit It With A Hammer

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    AOS Son of Cole

That was such a quick, minor thing in Thor that I loved.

AC: Excuse me, Thor, was it? I'm Agent Coulson of Shield and we need to talk.

T: Do not worry Son of Cole, for I am on your side.

It really is one of my favorite Thor speaking to normal person interactions in any of the films.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    "Then give me one of those large enough to ride."

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    *smash*

Another!

Loved the callback to that in Thor 2

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I loved that exchange in the first Thor

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    For as much shit as people may give the first Thor's scenes of god-stuck-on-earth

I found a lot of that pretty funny

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What do you folks think of Batman Zero Year? I think it sounds really neat, at least in this interview. And that palette looks neat.

Hyb2NQR.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So DC, incredibly missing the point, edited the infamous Harley Suicide page

They replaces "naked in a bathtub with toasters" with "riding an ICBM".

So now she is just trying to get hit by lightning by holding onto a lightning rod, wearing a chicken bikini in front of alligators, climbing inside a monster's moth and Dr. Strangeloving it.

Apparently they thought the problem was just her naked in a bathtub, not trying to commit suicide.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So DC, incredibly missing the point, edited the infamous Harley Suicide page

They replaces "naked in a bathtub with toasters" with "riding an ICBM".

So now she is just trying to get hit by lightning by holding onto a lightning rod, wearing a chicken bikini in front of alligators, climbing inside a monster's moth and Dr. Strangeloving it.

Apparently they thought the problem was just her naked in a bathtub, not trying to commit suicide.

Well

Like its still bad

But sexualizing someone killing themselves is way way worse, yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Oh yes, but the fact that they just changed that instead of making the page they asked amateur artists to draw not about her killing herself insane

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    For reference, this is the winning page:
    harleyquinn.jpg

Which the writer defended saying it was meant to have a "Looney Tune" style

Which it most certainly does not

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Also

Why is she smiling

That doesn't match that dialogue at all

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    what in the fuck

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    is she lifting that radio tower?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    good god

what human being looks at that and goes "yeah all that writing and art is great just keep churning that out"

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Also

Why is she smiling

I would guess a lot of rewrites and redraws personally.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Also

Why is she smiling

no the point is that she is aware she's in a comic and so her voice is not matching the artist's rendition.

• Options
    she is literally not in control of her body although she has control of her voice

• Options
    Also

Why is she smiling

I think that matches up with the script page they put out for the contest?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    good god

what human being looks at that and goes "yeah all that writing and art is great just keep churning that out"

"We're looking for a new artist but please just imitate the house style."

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    on the "bright" side she's not actually trying to kill herself? It's just a "hilarious" misunderstanding because the writer didn't know what Suicide Squad was? Except they've already got her being drawn in a suicide attempt before she even mentions Suicide Squad?

just... awkward and painfully unfunny

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    she is literally not in control of her body although she has control of her voice
    There is an earlier page where, ugh, Mecha-Harley vomits and both of the writers are surprised by it so she has some control.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm so damn tired of "meta" fiction.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    "Hey you know how Harley Quinn has the potential to be one of our most complex and interesting characters"

"Yeah"

"Fuck that, let's make her Deadpool"

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Also

Why is she smiling

I wasn't aware the contest page had dialogue/captions in it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Also

Why is she smiling

I wasn't aware the contest page had dialogue/captions in it.

It didn't.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I'm only tired of lazy obvious crap passed off as metafiction.

when done well, "meta" fiction can be really enjoyable, and reward closer readings of the text. For this it needs to be both subtle, and the story should stand on it's own without the metafictional interpretation

I'm going to surprise no one who knows me by pointing to Gillen's Journey Into Mystery as an example of metafiction in comics done very well. On the surface it's a perfectly good story about Kid Loki and Old Loki, but at the same time it's a commentary on storytelling in comics, the illusion of change, and the inevitability of the status quo. But because Gillen never hits the reader over the head with that, someone could easily miss it altogether and still understand and enjoy the book, while someone who is paying close attention and is familiar with how superhero comics stories work can get even more out of the book.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I am curious if DC decided they wanted to rip off Deadpool and then decided Harley was the best fit for that (likely using some sort of complex equation like Deadpool+Boobs=Money!), or if they decided they wanted a Harley comic and then figured the best way to do that was to turn her into Deadpool?

Alternatively:
    "Nobody is buying a lot of the shit we're shoveling, so we're going to need another Bat-book."

"Tim Drake carried a solo title for like 20 years and people have been asking to read him outside of Teen Titans. Not to mention there are several prominent Bat-characters missing from the New 52 that people have been begging for. Or we could even give some focus to another Batman Inc character like Nightrunner. We could also reboot Gotham Central since it was critically acclaimed and would tie in when that Jim Gordon television show we might still have in development."

"Fuck that, let's just go with Harley Quinn instead."

"As an ongoing? Not a miniseries? Well, she did star in Gotham City Sirens so with some time to plan we may be able to come up with a plot concept to support an indefinitely-running ongoing title for her."

"Nah, just make her Deadpool and have her break the fourth wall all the time. People love that. No need to plan or put any thought into it, just slap Harley on the cover and have her engage in wacky hijinks and kill people. The constant bat-crossovers will keep the book afloat no matter what we do."

"But we already have a crazy character who constantly breaks the fourth wall, Ambush Bug. He even predates Deadpool."

"Ambush who? He doesn't sound like someone we can put in suggestive positions or draw naked in a bath tub."

"Well actually, he might be up for that..."

• Options
    see, a halfway clever self-aware joke DC could make about this would be to have Deathstroke make a comment about Harley being a ripoff of a ripoff

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I'm only tired of lazy obvious crap passed off as metafiction.

when done well, "meta" fiction can be really enjoyable, and reward closer readings of the text. For this it needs to be both subtle, and the story should stand on it's own without the metafictional interpretation

I'm going to surprise no one who knows me by pointing to Gillen's Journey Into Mystery as an example of metafiction in comics done very well. On the surface it's a perfectly good story about Kid Loki and Old Loki, but at the same time it's a commentary on storytelling in comics, the illusion of change, and the inevitability of the status quo. But because Gillen never hits the reader over the head with that, someone could easily miss it altogether and still understand and enjoy the book, while someone who is paying close attention and is familiar with how superhero comics stories work can get even more out of the book.

Meanwhile in his next book he has a villain called mom

• Options
    fair point, he's being somewhat less subtle in Young Avengers, and while I'm still enjoying it (a lot), it's not in the same league as JiM

I'm willing to believe that the change in tone is deliberate, he's said from the start that Young Avengers is supposed to be the comic book equivalent of a pop song.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The change in tone is absolutely deliberate.

There's nothing subtle about being a teenager.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    from the last episode of Agents of SHIELD:
    tumblr_mwkmvf1IZ91rqc10qo1_1280.png

Hoff rode a horse today! :]

• Options
    Good for you, Hoff. Live your dreams.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    superman-wonder-wonder-3-var.jpg
    Aaaaaahahahahahahah

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    what in jesus fuck

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman looks like an amputee in that pic.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    that is not very good art

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    woof

• Options
    Like that is straight up a Harlequin romance novel cover oh my god ahahaha

CYpGAPn.png