As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    Was just having an interesting discussion with a friend regarding Twitch support. It's kinda weird that Sony didn't even have support for Twitch as of E3, and MIcrosoft demo'd Twitch streaming during their E3 presser, but the PS4 has Twitch streaming now, and the XBone won't have it until sometime next year.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Alex Navarro was very upset that someone in the comments to his review used the phrase "Knack Souls".

That's not why he was upset. He was upset because the person who called it Knack Souls basically went on to call him an idiot because he thought (correctly) that Knack was terrible. The person was your typical internet fanboy who thought Knack was this great transcendent franchise that was going to change gaming, like Dark Souls. Alex Navarro was not the only one who thought the guy was an idiot.

I'll be honest, I didn't read past that one post on Twitter saying "Knack review commenter compares it favorably to Dark Souls and even calls it "Knack Souls" and oh god just fuck everything right now."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Was just having an interesting discussion with a friend regarding Twitch support. It's kinda weird that Sony didn't even have support for Twitch as of E3, and MIcrosoft demo'd Twitch streaming during their E3 presser, but the PS4 has Twitch streaming now, and the XBone won't have it until sometime next year.

Given the amount of engineering backpedaling Microsoft had to do to remove the always-on stuff, it doesn't shock me. They just ran out of time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I dunno if it gets better later on, but Knack has been one big case of blue balls for me.

Just as you're finally getting enough relics to grow in size and you're wtfpwning rooms of enemies that were handing your ass to you a couple minutes ago, you run into a door/elevator/toaster that you have to give up ALL of your collected relics to turn on so you can continue and you start back at square one with tiny-Knack.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I wish Knack had done more with its sense of scale. As it is, it feels kind of faked. The "rooms" you're fighting in are all of approximate size to each other. The secret rooms with the chests are identical. I'm only about halfway done with the game, so maybe they do more with it later, but it feels like a bit of a lost opportunity as it is now.

• SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    That's not why he was upset. He was upset because the person who called it Knack Souls basically went on to call him an idiot because he thought (correctly) that Knack was terrible. The person was your typical internet fanboy who thought Knack was this great transcendent franchise that was going to change gaming, like Dark Demon's Souls. Alex Navarro was not the only one who thought the guy was an idiot.

FTFY

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I wish Knack had done more with its sense of scale. As it is, it feels kind of faked. The "rooms" you're fighting in are all of approximate size to each other. The secret rooms with the chests are identical. I'm only about halfway done with the game, so maybe they do more with it later, but it feels like a bit of a lost opportunity as it is now.

That's a great point. Totally agree.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Skunty wrote: »
    That's not why he was upset. He was upset because the person who called it Knack Souls basically went on to call him an idiot because he thought (correctly) that Knack was terrible. The person was your typical internet fanboy who thought Knack was this great transcendent franchise that was going to change gaming, like Dark Demon's Souls. Alex Navarro was not the only one who thought the guy was an idiot.

FTFY

Effectively the same game made by the same people, but I guess in service to the cause of pragmatism, you are correct.

e: And one could argue that while Demon Souls lit the spark, Dark Souls lit the fire.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Played Warframe with some friends for 8 hours last night... my 3 friends and I each spent $50 each at the store on Platinum

Well deserved if you ask me...

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I don't mind spending money in a F2P game that I know I'm gonna get time out of. Hopefully this ends up being one of those games.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I dunno if it gets better later on, but Knack has been one big case of blue balls for me.

Just as you're finally getting enough relics to grow in size and you're wtfpwning rooms of enemies that were handing your ass to you a couple minutes ago, you run into a door/elevator/toaster that you have to give up ALL of your collected relics to turn on so you can continue and you start back at square one with tiny-Knack.

IMO that's probably one of the game's biggest sins, besides the soul crushing difficulty.

I really do think there was a good game in there, but it probably needed about 2 more tuning passes to really unearth the gem inside. But that's just not a luxury that Launch games are afforded.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Speaking of Knack, I'm gonna stream it for a bit.

TheKruseMissile on Twitch if anyone is bored

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    David_T wrote: »
    Alex Navarro was very upset that someone in the comments to his review used the phrase "Knack Souls".

That's not why he was upset. He was upset because the person who called it Knack Souls basically went on to call him an idiot because he thought (correctly) that Knack was terrible. The person was your typical internet fanboy who thought Knack was this great transcendent franchise that was going to change gaming, like Dark Souls. Alex Navarro was not the only one who thought the guy was an idiot.

So Alex got mad at someone for having a decidedly different opinion than him about a game he reviewed? No insulting Alex, or calling his review dumb? Alex got bent at someone for disagreeing with him? As much as I love Giant Bomb, Alex continues to feel like an out of place internet forum troll that the rest of the guys hired because he was an old friend. He can't even post a simple preview video without leaving trolling bullshit in the description. Hate the game, tear it apart (intelligently/descriptively) in your review, but your a person, and your opinion isn't the be all end all. Don't act like a shit head because people disagree. He has always sucked hard at that.

Aoi on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    My opinion of Knack is starting to change drastically.

It was fun at first. Knack is cute, the art style is kinda cool, and it's a fun diversion.

After progressing through the game I'm starting to feel like something went really wrong during its development.

Your health bar? Worthless. You will die if you get hit twice, no matter how big your health bar is. Oh, unless the enemy has one of those one-hit-fuck-you attacks. Then you will respawn back at what has to be one of the most unforgiving checkpoint systems I've played in a while.

I can't decide if they wanted to make the game longer by artificially inflating enemy damage so you die a lot or someone on the dev team was a big fan of Dark Souls.

I've also decided the best way to play this game is as if you are speed-running it. It's all about hitting the enemies on screen before they have a chance to attack.

All this is true. It was charming at first, and the unforgiving combat felt tight - but it's just the same goddamned room over and over, whether you're tiny Knack or colossal Knack - the dynamics and mechanics of combat are identical, making those giant fights feel largely identical to the small ones.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That's why I hope Knack gets a sequel. Refine this stuff, fix the lame shit and they'd have a decent new franchise on their hands.

Consider this, though - all the cash that went into funding Knack could have funded, say, a PS4-native Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper. Sony's already got some excellent kid-friendly mascots, attached to excellent games - and Knack ain't.

Also, on Resogun ships - Nemesis ftw.

Knack was developed by Japan Studio, so they were going to be paid regardless of whether Knack existed or not. Firing them is the only way you'd be able to fund a western game instead.

Regardless, I don't agree with you at all. I think one of the best things about Sony is the way they continually try out new things. Sure, some of them don't work (like Heavenly Sword last gen and Knack now) but at least they're different. If they only relied on established series like R&C and Sly, we'd also miss out on the gems like Tearaway.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Chance wrote: »
    My opinion of Knack is starting to change drastically.

It was fun at first. Knack is cute, the art style is kinda cool, and it's a fun diversion.

After progressing through the game I'm starting to feel like something went really wrong during its development.

Your health bar? Worthless. You will die if you get hit twice, no matter how big your health bar is. Oh, unless the enemy has one of those one-hit-fuck-you attacks. Then you will respawn back at what has to be one of the most unforgiving checkpoint systems I've played in a while.

I can't decide if they wanted to make the game longer by artificially inflating enemy damage so you die a lot or someone on the dev team was a big fan of Dark Souls.

I've also decided the best way to play this game is as if you are speed-running it. It's all about hitting the enemies on screen before they have a chance to attack.

All this is true. It was charming at first, and the unforgiving combat felt tight - but it's just the same goddamned room over and over, whether you're tiny Knack or colossal Knack - the dynamics and mechanics of combat are identical, making those giant fights feel largely identical to the small ones.
    That's why I hope Knack gets a sequel. Refine this stuff, fix the lame shit and they'd have a decent new franchise on their hands.

Consider this, though - all the cash that went into funding Knack could have funded, say, a PS4-native Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper. Sony's already got some excellent kid-friendly mascots, attached to excellent games - and Knack ain't.

Also, on Resogun ships - Nemesis ftw.

Knack was developed by Japan Studio, so they were going to be paid regardless of whether Knack existed or not. Firing them is the only way you'd be able to fund a western game instead.

Regardless, I don't agree with you at all. I think one of the best things about Sony is the way they continually try out new things. Sure, some of them don't work (like Heavenly Sword last gen and Knack now) but at least they're different. If they only relied on established series like R&C and Sly, we'd also miss out on the gems like Tearaway.

:^: agree with that.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    But Heavenly Sword was awesome :(

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hevenly Sword was pretty awful.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    Heavenly Sword was the greatest hat throwing simulator I've ever played. I'd love to see a PS4 version.

ain't got one
    But Heavenly Sword was awesome :(

It's super good-looking, has above-par writing, spectacular voice work and gorgeous art direction. A lovely experience.
    Hevenly Sword was pretty awful.

Its combat is dull as dishwater, nearly inscrutable (worst counter system ever?) and never evolves over the course of the game. A tedious game.

edited November 2013
    Heavenly sword 7 years later is still one of the best looking/voice acted games on the ps3

And this is a system with the uncharteds GOWs and TLOU

One of my top 5 favorite games on the PS3 (VC UNC2 TLOU and GOW3)

zllehs on
    zllehs wrote: »
    Heavenly sword 7 years later is still one of the best looking/voice acted games on the ps3

The saddest thing about it is the legacy of that game will be the upcoming straight to video movie whose CG looks worse than what was IN the damned game, and also is without the actor who made so much of the actual storytelling so well done. I really wish they had gotten a chance to expand on it. I really did like that game.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So IGN said this in their PS4 review:
    The other unfortunate side effect of PSN outages or connection issues is the inability to access content purchased digitally. Without a connection to verify your license for a game at system boot-up, the app or game becomes locked — even if it’s an offline single-player game. Disc-based games, on the other hand, can be played at any time, so those considering going all-digital should weigh that into their decision.

Uhh, I thought that issue was settled and requiring online connectivity for pretty much anything was not going to be a thing. What's up with this? Is it true, or are they just being IGN again?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    The other unfortunate side effect of PSN outages or connection issues is the inability to access content purchased digitally. Without a connection to verify your license for a game at system boot-up, the app or game becomes locked — even if it’s an offline single-player game. Disc-based games, on the other hand, can be played at any time, so those considering going all-digital should weigh that into their decision.

Uhh, I thought that issue was settled and requiring online connectivity for pretty much anything was not going to be a thing. What's up with this? Is it true, or are they just being IGN again?

Even when PSN went out, it was only a couple games that the developers specifically flagged this way that didn't work. That's odd. I'll have to yank the ethernet cable on my console later and give Need for Speed a go since it's digital.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Weird. I know the XBO put two "keys" on any digital download, the console and the Live ID, and as long as the live ID is present and connected to the internet you can play it anywhere, even another console... but you can always play the game offline on the primary console.

Come to think of it, isnt that how it worked on the PS3 and 360 too? Why would they change that?

It might just be IGN being IGN.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Noooo way is it best looking. Maybe you're looking at it through nostalgia glasses but it's not even close to what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla managed to put out on the PS3.

Voice acted? Sure, Andy Serkis and Anna Torv are awesome.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid

Noooo way is it best looking. Maybe you're looking at it through nostalgia glasses but it's not even close to what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla managed to put out on the PS3.

One of the best-looking games. A lot of that comes down to its art direction, but yeah - Heavenly Sword is fucking gorgeous.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

I dont think that can be true. PSN was up and down for a couple days at launch and I played Resogun a lot with no problems.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

I dont think that can be true. PSN was up and down for a couple days at launch and I played Resogun a lot with no problems.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering about what the hell they are trying to impart with that passage.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know about NFS (since it's EA) but Resogun & Contrast worked just fine at launch for me when the PSN was being wonky.

shit is HS old enough to feel nostalgia about it yet? lol

No I didnt say it was the best looking... just one of the best - UNC 2,3 both GOWs KZ3 TLOU all look better but then again they all came 2 years or more after HS lol

No I didnt say it was the best looking... just one of the best - UNC 2,3 both GOWs KZ3 TLOU all look better but then again they all came 2 years or more after HS lol

The part that makes it feel so weird to me is this. Remember Heroes on NBC? During the first season a character and her son are playing Heavenly Sword months before release. I remember seeing that and thinking it looked amazing. Heroes doesn't feel like THAT long ago.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »

The part that makes it feel so weird to me is this. Remember Heroes on NBC? During the first season a character and her son are playing Heavenly Sword months before release. I remember seeing that and thinking it looked amazing. Heroes doesn't feel like THAT long ago.

the painful memories never do... :(

Wraith260 wrote: »

Hahaha, awww. I am still completely unashamed of my love of the first season. The rest can just sink away into nothing, but eh.

Wraith260 wrote: »

ugh... too soon
    talk about a tragedy

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

It certainly is old enough to feel nostalgic about. The fact that it never got a sequel is a crime.

Twing twang.

Twing twang.

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I really wish Ninja Theory would take what they learned from DmC make another heavenly sword.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Got a couple questions.

1a) When is Minecraft coming out for PS4? I thought it was a launch title?
    1b) Is the PS4 version of Minecraft going to include any of the reskin packs that were released for 360, such as Skyrim or Mass Effect?
    2) How many of you are playing NFS Rivals? I'm looking at getting it, but it definitely looks like a game to play with a community. If I snag it, I will definitely want to join some PA folks for racing and cop chases.

• nowayman xynowayman xy Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Bestbuy online is now in stock as of 11/20/13 2:30 central time.

That'll probably only last for about an hour. I'm not sure if anyone is still looking for the console but I figured I'd share since I've lurked here so long.

Edit: I'm not a bestbuy employee or anything. Just figured that there might be someone else out there looking to get the console at its actual price instead of being gouged elsewhere.

Edit #2: and holy crap it's sold out, already.

nowayman xy on
    BF4: nowaymanblue
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Wasn't War Thunder supposed to be available at launch? I need me some combat flight sim!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
This discussion has been closed.