As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    EA explains the reason for Titanfall exclusivity on XB1 and PC
    Titanfall is releasing exclusively for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC in March, 2014, and will never make its way to the PlayStation 4. In a recent statement, an executive at publisher EA explained the business reasons behind the shooter's exclusivity.

At the UBS Global Technology Conference, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that EA's partnership with Microsoft on Titanfall is a basic business agreement, and, for EA, it made sense to keep the next-gen title on Microsoft platforms.

"That's a process that's been done through the industry for many years," Jorgensen said. "There's lots of single-platform titles. Obviously, you work with the first-parties to make sure the economics make sense for all sides, and we made that decision on Titanfall."

Jorgensen described the dynamic between EA and Titanfall developer Respawn as a mutually beneficial relationship.

"It's a business partnership. We're trying to make sure that we've developed a great relationship with them," he said. "We helped them on marketing, we helped them on development where they need it. And we try to maintain a strong partnership with them over time."

This partnership is only one of many as the next generation approaches (and arrives, in the case of the PS4 in U.S. stores) and companies such as the aforementioned EA, and contemporary Activision make exclusivity decisions based on established marketing strategies.

And while Titanfall will always be a Microsoft exclusive, EA said that any potential sequels could possibly be coming to PS4.

"So obviously it's the first title that's committed to a single platform," Jorgensen said.

In another partnership, Respawn announced today that it will be coordinating with K'Nex to release Titanfall-branded building sets.

Titanfall releases March 11, 2014 in North America, and March 13, 2014 in Europe and Australia.

I swear the only thing I hate more than a suit is Suit talk

Anybody want to sift through that BS and explain WTF he is talking about? lol

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Looks like streaming from PS4 is going to get some more visibility on Twitch:
    http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/11/top-live-ps4-broadcasts-now-on-the-twitch-front-page/
    We’ve added the “Top PS4 Channels” feature to our front page, which displays the Top 6 PS4 broadcasters by live viewer count at any given time. Just scroll down the front page under “Top Live Channels”.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Titanfall is releasing exclusively for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC in March, 2014, and will never make its way to the PlayStation 4. In a recent statement, an executive at publisher EA explained the business reasons behind the shooter's exclusivity.

At the UBS Global Technology Conference, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that EA's partnership with Microsoft on Titanfall is a basic business agreement, and, for EA, it made sense to keep the next-gen title on Microsoft platforms.

"That's a process that's been done through the industry for many years," Jorgensen said. "There's lots of single-platform titles. Obviously, you work with the first-parties to make sure the economics make sense for all sides, and we made that decision on Titanfall."

Jorgensen described the dynamic between EA and Titanfall developer Respawn as a mutually beneficial relationship.

"It's a business partnership. We're trying to make sure that we've developed a great relationship with them," he said. "We helped them on marketing, we helped them on development where they need it. And we try to maintain a strong partnership with them over time."

This partnership is only one of many as the next generation approaches (and arrives, in the case of the PS4 in U.S. stores) and companies such as the aforementioned EA, and contemporary Activision make exclusivity decisions based on established marketing strategies.

And while Titanfall will always be a Microsoft exclusive, EA said that any potential sequels could possibly be coming to PS4.

"So obviously it's the first title that's committed to a single platform," Jorgensen said.

In another partnership, Respawn announced today that it will be coordinating with K'Nex to release Titanfall-branded building sets.

Titanfall releases March 11, 2014 in North America, and March 13, 2014 in Europe and Australia.

TL;DR: Because money.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options

"Microsoft gave us a shitload of money and we said "okay" without talking to Respawn about it."

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Microsoft offered them a lot of money to make Titanfall an Xbox One exclusive brand like Gears of War was for the X360. EA needed the cash since they have been in the hole lately, but didn't want to get locked into the X1 long term, so they cut a deal with Microsoft where MS has picked up chunks of the cost of Titanfall (probably Marketing plus some financing), but any potential sequels are not part of the deal.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Lmfao
    thanks guys

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha ha... Oh EA, there's nothing to explain. All they gotta do is go-

The reason why Titanfall is an Xbox exclusive is because $$$$$$.

That's perfectly fine too. It's smart for MS to moneyhat themselves a killer exclusive for the early goings of the XBone.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

the amount of money MS offered EA/Respawn was enough to justify limiting the number of platforms the game would appear on. they could spend x dollars developing and releasing on the PS4 and hope to gain y dollars, but MS offered them z dollars and their eyes just lit up.

Respawn found this out when someone said "oh and here's the check from the MS exclusivity deal".

so basically MS get a game that they value highly all to themselves* and EA and Respawn get an early pay day.

*barring the PC market

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    SOE has big plans for Planet side 2 on the PS4 next year

"Crossplatform play is not planned"

:(

OTOH, I don't know how you'd have guys aiming with KBAM competing fairly with guys stuck using the analog stick to aim, so it's probably for the best.

I wonder if there is any way to link accounts/station cash...?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Didn't get an answer on the previous page.

--Do we know when Minecraft is coming out for PS4? And will it have any of the reskins available, such as the Skyrim or Mass Effect packs?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So IGN said this in their PS4 review:
    The other unfortunate side effect of PSN outages or connection issues is the inability to access content purchased digitally. Without a connection to verify your license for a game at system boot-up, the app or game becomes locked — even if it’s an offline single-player game. Disc-based games, on the other hand, can be played at any time, so those considering going all-digital should weigh that into their decision.

Uhh, I thought that issue was settled and requiring online connectivity for pretty much anything was not going to be a thing. What's up with this? Is it true, or are they just being IGN again?

I dont think that can be true. PSN was up and down for a couple days at launch and I played Resogun a lot with no problems.

100% bullshit. I have three games from PSN - one free, two purchased. NONE require me logging in or maintaining an internet connection. It is mind bogglingly stupid that they would go with this despite Sony being fanatical about their machine NOT calling home.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Heavenly sword 7 years later is still one of the best looking/voice acted games on the ps3

And this is a system with the uncharteds GOWs and TLOU

One of my top 5 favorite games on the PS3 (VC UNC2 TLOU and GOW3)

Noooo way is it best looking. Maybe you're looking at it through nostalgia glasses but it's not even close to what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla managed to put out on the PS3.

Voice acted? Sure, Andy Serkis and Anna Torv are awesome.

shit is HS old enough to feel nostalgia about it yet? lol

No I didnt say it was the best looking... just one of the best - UNC 2,3 both GOWs KZ3 TLOU all look better but then again they all came 2 years or more after HS lol

Late 2007 game, so yeah, it's been six years.

I'll still disagree over it being one of the best looking though. Sure, I thought it looked amazing at the time but games have come a long way since then.
    Lucascraft wrote: »

--Do we know when Minecraft is coming out for PS4? And will it have any of the reskins available, such as the Skyrim or Mass Effect packs?

It was a launch title but was then randomly pushed back for some reason. Might have something to do with Microsoft, as I can't imagine they were thrilled that one of their big E3 announcements was actually going to come out on PS4 first (though I guess Twitch did). So now it sounds like they're releasing the PS3 version first (a port of the 360 version) and then the PS4/Xbone/Vita versions later.

And apparently the PS4 version is going to be exactly the same as the Xbone version, so whether it has reskin packs will depend on what they do with both versions.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

We have no idea, but there are recent news stories floating around that say the developer doing the port job is focusing on the PS3 version atm, with Next-gen versions to follow. So....Spring/Summer, maybe? We do know the new systems will be able to support bigger, more PC like Minecraft worlds, but no word on what sort of custom skins / DLC will be available or supported AFAIK.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular

I have really come to hate the term, but this seriously is a big case of Microsoft Money Hats. Not cloud computing, not anything technical. Just Microsoft walking up to EA with so much money that they didn't even bother talking to the developer before they snuggled up and gave in.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Microsoft offered them a lot of money to make Titanfall an Xbox One exclusive brand like Gears of War was for the X360. EA needed the cash since they have been in the hole lately, but didn't want to get locked into the X1 long term, so they cut a deal with Microsoft where MS has picked up chunks of the cost of Titanfall (probably Marketing plus some financing), but any potential sequels are not part of the deal.

Even Gears is different than this situation. Epic worked with Microsoft from the start as far as that game, even pushing MS to upgrade their planned hardware for the system itself for their engine to sing on the platform, not to mention Epic owns Gears. This was publisher and platform maker making a money deal with no input from the dev, and no direct connection to the hardware like Epic/Gears had with the 360.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2013
    Ehhh.... well before that further deal locking titanfall 1 came out, they (Respawn) wrote a pretty in-depth blog explaining that they went to Sony and Microsoft asking for access to lots of dedicated servers, and Microsoft made them a much better technical offer.

Titanfall is likely to fall on its face without a dedicated server, which microsoft is providing (along with a massive advertising budget) for a title that has a huge budget and a zero percent chance of selling as well as a game on the 360 or PS3 now. When the potential PS4 version of titanfall 2 comes out, there will be dedicated servers, or it will be a different game altogether.

This title is exclusive because early in a console generation, a money hat is really inexpensive, and will likely let the developer and publisher make the kind of AAA titles that demand a larger userbase than either console could provide at that point, even pooled.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Maybe this has always been but Helghan Soldiers are totally The Xtacles.

ED! on
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ehhh.... well before that further deal locking titanfall 1 came out, they (Respawn) wrote a pretty in-depth blog explaining that they went to Sony and Microsoft asking for access to lots of dedicated servers, and Microsoft made them a much better technical offer.

Titanfall is likely to fall on its face without a dedicated server, which microsoft is providing (along with a massive advertising budget) for a title that has a huge budget and a zero percent chance of selling as well as a game on the 360 or PS3 now. When the potential PS4 version of titanfall 2 comes out, there will be dedicated servers, or it will be a different game altogether.

This title is exclusive because early in a console generation, a money hat is really inexpensive, and will likely let the developer and publisher make the kind of AAA titles that demand a larger userbase than either console could provide at that point, even pooled.

Again, all money, little to nothing technical. And dedicated servers? And? It's not like they're some giant technical marvel in this day and age, even on consoles. The 360/PS3 versions of Battlefield have them, not to mention Killzone. Not only that, but it's EA. They don't even USE Microsoft's dedicated servers for their games, and never will. They wanted the new game from the guys that created the most successful FPS series in history, and they paid out the nose to make sure they were the only one to have it. It was a big pile of money to make sure they didn't have competition on this huge title. That's pretty much the start and end of it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    Not only that, but it's EA. They don't even USE Microsoft's dedicated servers for their games, and never will.

Titanfall makes extensive use of Microsoft Azure for dynamic dedicated servers. That's been their line from day 1. I fail to see why they would be lying... but talking about titanfall 1 in the PS4 thread seems a bit off.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Heavenly sword 7 years later is still one of the best looking/voice acted games on the ps3

Noooo way is it best looking. Maybe you're looking at it through nostalgia glasses but it's not even close to what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla managed to put out on the PS3.

No I didnt say it was the best looking... just one of the best - UNC 2,3 both GOWs KZ3 TLOU all look better but then again they all came 2 years or more after HS lol

The part that makes it feel so weird to me is this. Remember Heroes on NBC? During the first season a character and her son are playing Heavenly Sword months before release. I remember seeing that and thinking it looked amazing. Heroes doesn't feel like THAT long ago.

the painful memories never do... :(

Hahaha, awww. I am still completely unashamed of my love of the first season. The rest can just sink away into nothing, but eh.

Season One of Heroes gave us the episode "Company Man" which on its own justified the season, warts and all

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    The other unfortunate side effect of PSN outages or connection issues is the inability to access content purchased digitally. Without a connection to verify your license for a game at system boot-up, the app or game becomes locked — even if it’s an offline single-player game. Disc-based games, on the other hand, can be played at any time, so those considering going all-digital should weigh that into their decision.

Uhh, I thought that issue was settled and requiring online connectivity for pretty much anything was not going to be a thing. What's up with this? Is it true, or are they just being IGN again?

I dont think that can be true. PSN was up and down for a couple days at launch and I played Resogun a lot with no problems.

100% bullshit. I have three games from PSN - one free, two purchased. NONE require me logging in or maintaining an internet connection. It is mind bogglingly stupid that they would go with this despite Sony being fanatical about their machine NOT calling home.

I think the online check is only on consoles that aren't your primary

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »

The part that makes it feel so weird to me is this. Remember Heroes on NBC? During the first season a character and her son are playing Heavenly Sword months before release. I remember seeing that and thinking it looked amazing. Heroes doesn't feel like THAT long ago.

the painful memories never do... :(

Hahaha, awww. I am still completely unashamed of my love of the first season. The rest can just sink away into nothing, but eh.

Season One of Heroes gave us the episode "Company Man" which on its own justified the season, warts and all

One of the best episodes of any TV show ever. Right up there with Lost's "The Constant" and Battlestar Galactica's "33".

• Options
    Louie wrote: »

You know, at first I just assumed the IGN guy was talking out his ass, but this is probably right. You can only have one primary PS4 on an account, which always has rights to that account's stuff and the primary flag is tracked on the console, but the other accounts ("secondary" accounts? I don't know what they're called) need to check in, as you can only have one secondary account running the game at any point in time.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Okay guys uhhh... anyone familiar with Amazon might wanna tell me what to do here?

I think somehow there was a mix-up and they've... Well, they've set me up to be sent two replacement PS4's. One is the entire bundle, the other just the console. Now... Uhm... What should I do? The extra one that's just the console hasn't shipped yet.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Okay guys uhhh... anyone familiar with Amazon might wanna tell me what to do here?

I think somehow there was a mix-up and they've... Well, they've set me up to be sent two replacement PS4's. One is the entire bundle, the other just the console. Now... Uhm... What should I do? The extra one that's just the console hasn't shipped yet.
    contact them.

You will totally end up paying for the second one, and scalpers are not getting much of anything above MSRP for PS4s because they can be fairly easily acquired.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    In Britain if someone posts you something that you didn't ask for you're legally entitled to keep it, no idea what the law is in the US though.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Maybe this has always been but Helghan Soldiers are totally The Xtacles.

"First, I put wig on head; then, I make love to your face."

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    bss wrote: »
    Louie wrote: »

You know, at first I just assumed the IGN guy was talking out his ass, but this is probably right. You can only have one primary PS4 on an account, which always has rights to that account's stuff and the primary flag is tracked on the console, but the other accounts ("secondary" accounts? I don't know what they're called) need to check in, as you can only have one secondary account running the game at any point in time.

This. . .I have no problem with.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    TPSou wrote: »
    In Britain if someone posts you something that you didn't ask for you're legally entitled to keep it, no idea what the law is in the US though.

That'd be something I wouldn't mind knowing, I mean even if they don't realize the mistake before it ships which is what I suspect will happen I'm not so sure getting another(hopefully functioning) PS4 would be entirely a BAD thing.

What I'm saying is Christmas Present.

Edit: Well after some digging I found this: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

Arthil on
  • Options
    Regardless of legality, it's kind of a dick move to keep something that was shipped to you accidentally.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Regardless of legality, it's kind of a dick move to keep something that was shipped to you accidentally.

It's a dick move to the seller /poster as they still have to make a delivery of their promised good to the actual buyer.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Well what this appears to be is that they had a mix-up with my request for a replacement console after I'd contacted them the night before about why I'd not even heard a word about the replacement being sent out, when I had requested it Sunday. I don't think they are going to actually ship the thing, as it only just appeared on there today.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    also worth keeping this question in mind from the above link
    Q. What should I do if the unordered merchandise I received was the result of an honest shipping error?
    A. Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (say 30 days) to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Tell the seller that you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or dispose of it after the specified time has passed.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Amazon will tell you to keep it anyways, they always side with the consumer on shipping errors. We need the guy who got two Vitas last year to chime in as he tried to do "the right thing" and they wouldn't even accept the return.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Probably because he was being honest and did try to do the right thing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'll offer to send it back if they actually send it to me then, if they do let me keep it that WILL be awesome of them cause my cousin and his family would be overjoyed with me suddenly bringing the thing over on Christmas.

@Aegeri I'd like to make it clear I wasn't intending on being dishonest, I've just never had anything like this happen before xP. I figured a few things might happen: They realize their mistake and cancel the order, They request to have it sent back and I do so/or offer to pay for it, I tell them about it and send it back/or they end up telling me to keep it.

I'm not a goose guys :(

Arthil on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    It's spelled out pretty clearly there in the law, it's his to keep if they messed up. He didn't deceive them into sending a 2nd PS4.

Give it as a gift or sell it, you don't have to have a guilty conscience over it.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    What's generally the best way to get a hold of one of these suckers? Go to a physical store and find out when their shipments usually come in?

This discussion has been closed.