As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exiles/New Excalibur: Die by the Bored?

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just want Thunderbird back. Apocalypse makes everything better.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Put 1602 Daredevil on the team. I love that guy.
    Hell just about any 1602 character would be damn intresting on Exiles. ...'Cept for Virginia Dare, I never liked her.

Except that most of the issue will just be about the 1602 character reacting to 20th+ century technology.

"Egads! A metal land whale!"
    "That's a bus, Parquah...just like the last seven you pointed out."

cytorak on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Hell just about any 1602 character would be damn intresting on Exiles. ...'Cept for Virginia Dare, I never liked her.

Except that most of the issue will just be about the 1602 character reacting to 20th+ century technology.

A good writer would just glaze over that with a bunch of humorous panels showing the character being brought up to speed by Professor Morph.

Or the character could just adjust in a matter of seconds, surprising everyone.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    In the just announced Exiles Annual #1, the current team must fight an alternate reality version of Blink, Mimic, Nocturne, Morph, Thunderbird and Magnus! :shock:
    Wow. That sounds... really, really stupid.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So this Tony Bedard guy from Exiles is writing the two-part Hourman arc in JSA: Classified. Is he a pretty good writer? Reactions seem a little mixed in this thread.

Munch on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    So this Tony Bedard guy from Exiles is writing the two-part Hourman arc in JSA: Classified. Is he a pretty good writer? Reactions seem a little mixed in this thread.

He's not fantastic, but he's good enough.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I think his problem in regards to Exiles is mostly that he's run out of ideas. I mean he's been doing it for over four years now, and as a follow-up to three years by someone else. And it's not like a regular book where you have a single continuity which the characters occupy; each arc is a universe alternate to 616 (I mean, except for the couple issues where they visited 616, including the House of M tie-in that led to that horrible crap with Proteus).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I think his problem in regards to Exiles is mostly that he's run out of ideas. I mean he's been doing it for over four years now, and as a follow-up to three years by someone else. And it's not like a regular book where you have a single continuity which the characters occupy; each arc is a universe alternate to 616 (I mean, except for the couple issues where they visited 616, including the House of M tie-in that led to that horrible crap with Proteus).
    Plus for a big chunk of that four-year-run he was putting out like eighteen issues a year or something?

I know Axe really enjoyed the Hourman ongoing from a few years ago, and I think Bedard edited that run, so he's at least familiar with the character.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Plus for a big chunk of that four-year-run he was putting out like eighteen issues a year or something?

I know Axe really enjoyed the Hourman ongoing from a few years ago, and I think Bedard edited that run, so he's at least familiar with the character.
    Wait, what

When I said four years, I was assuming it was a monthly. He's done... uh, forty issues. Which is a little less than I thought.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Munch wrote:

Wait, what

When I said four years, I was assuming it was a monthly. He's done... uh, forty issues. Which is a little less than I thought.
    Fourty issues is still a lot of issues.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I like him, but he's not a superstar.

Did you read Negation or Route 666? He did both of those (I think he co-wrote Negation with Waid) and they're the best things that Crossgen put out.

Like hughtron said, he edited the Hourman ongoing, and it dealt with Tyler more than Rex and Rick, but he knows the characters and their history, and he has a pretty firm grip on all of them. He did an interview with Newsarama a few months ago where he talked about the arc, and it sounds really spot on.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    graizurisheregraizurishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mojo could have taken Nocturne and Thunderbird's baby out of her while she was knocked out. He has the technology. That would be an interesting baby. And he would have funny fingers. And an Endo skeleton. And also may be blue. And also trained by Mojo and or Longshot.

Why isn't this comic book writing itself. It's so easy it's greasy!

graizurishere on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Would T-bird's kid inherit the weird shit that Poccy did to his dad? I don't think he would, really.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    graizurisheregraizurishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Would T-bird's kid inherit the weird shit that Poccy did to his dad? I don't think he would, really.

I really don't know. But T-Bird did originally have tough skin. And it would be visually interesting to see some sort of evolution of that in a natural form. LIke Apocolypse unlocked in T-bird through unnatural means and so that is why he lost his sence of taste and what not. But I think, again, that it would be visually itneresting. The ddecendents of Wagner if not visually interesting. Or at the very least, you know, blue.

graizurishere on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I doubt it. That was all cybernetic stuff.

Not sure where graizur's comment came out of, anyhow. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nocturne aborted or something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yea. As a matter of fact, it's the only comic book abortion I know of. Pregnancies at all are pretty rare things. Kind of surprised it didn't get more attention.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Yea. As a matter of fact, it's the only comic book abortion I know of. Pregnancies at all are pretty rare things. Kind of surprised it didn't get more attention.

Umm...maybe I'm reading a different comic. I'm pretty sure Nocturne told Sunfire it was a miscarriage. She said she lost it at the hotel.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Umm...maybe I'm reading a different comic. I'm pretty sure Nocturne told Sunfire it was a miscarriage. She said she lost it at the hotel.
    And she lied.

If she had a miscarriage, she wouldn't have had that air-conversation with John about how she "couldn't go through it without [him]".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    And she lied.

If she had a miscarriage, she wouldn't have had that air-conversation with John about how she "couldn't go through it without [him]".

Fair enough. Must have missed that. :(

I am kind of disappointed that Thunderbird's not actually waking up in the issue after the SS arc. It's just his dreams of what if he hadn't gotten replaced on the team.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    This might be a dumb question, but was there ever a Morph in the 616 universe (besides the AoA version, of course)?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    This might be a dumb question, but was there ever a Morph in the 616 universe (besides the AoA version, of course)?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_(Marvel_Comics)

robosagogo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Actually, one slipup they seem to make is that the Exiles Morph isn't AoA Morph, he just dresses and acts the same (including the Magneto-style neck thing, for some reason). But afaik I don't think AoA Morph has ever been shown on the times they've gone back there.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sigh...they had the perfect way to get rid of Sabretooth in issue 88,
    [spoiler:c1612f5a39]Galactus' Herald?[/spoiler:c1612f5a39] but alas, I am afraid we are in for a wacky comedy of errors when 616 Psylocke meets AoA Sabretooth...this fall on Fox.

cytorak on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    cytorak wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

A good writer would just glaze over that with a bunch of humorous panels showing the character being brought up to speed by Professor Morph.

That would be hilarious.
    "Let's take the subway."
    "..."
    "What? I can't read a fucking book when I randomly appear in a time unfamiliar to my own?"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    cytorak wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

That would be hilarious.
    "Let's take the subway."
    "..."
    "What? I can't read a fucking book when I randomly appear in a time unfamiliar to my own?"

Well, wasn't Rojas [spoiler:0900ceb2f7] Really Cap from the future thrust back in time, thus creating the 1602 universe[/spoiler:0900ceb2f7] or something like that?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Man, they just got rid of the Great Beast on the team. Don't bring in Virginia Dare/Snowbird.

1602 Daredevil would be rad, though.

Or the decapitated head of Strange.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Captain America from Mutant X should be brought in. In Hank McCoy from Mutant X. Or Angel from Mutant X. Or... any character from Mutant X.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Captain America from Mutant X should be brought in. In Hank McCoy from Mutant X. Or Angel from Mutant X. Or... any character from Mutant X.
    not Bloodstorm.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    not Bloodstorm.

But she's Storm, only she can turn into a rat!

Hensler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:

Man, I thought everyone forgot about Mutant X.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    [spoiler:7613986e0a]Galactus' Herald?[/spoiler:7613986e0a] but alas, I am afraid we are in for a wacky comedy of errors when 616 Psylocke meets AoA Sabretooth...this fall on Fox.
    I've not read Exiles yet, but they've had Holocaust in their team... how'd that work between him and Sabretooth and Blink?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Slagmire wrote:
    cytorak wrote:
    [spoiler:c3183b4c97]Galactus' Herald?[/spoiler:c3183b4c97] but alas, I am afraid we are in for a wacky comedy of errors when 616 Psylocke meets AoA Sabretooth...this fall on Fox.
    I've not read Exiles yet, but they've had Holocaust in their team... how'd that work between him and Sabretooth and Blink?
    [spoiler:c3183b4c97]Hyperion inhaled him after something like five minutes on the team[/spoiler:c3183b4c97]

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:858e7ce462]Space Ghost! [/spoiler:858e7ce462]

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wow, that Exiles annual was really good. Best Exiles story we've had in quite a while. I'd like to a return to that universe at some point - the classic line-up is still the best.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Personally, I wish they'd stay in one environment for an extended period of time again so that we can see a more developed alternate universe and some extensive character development for the new additions to the team. That or just get rid of some of them because there really isn't much too learn about Power Princess.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well, Psylocke will be replacing PP soon, if the internets are to be believed.

In regards to the annual, I wasn't really impressed. It was nice that Longshot was written in a way that I thought Longshot's powers were supposed to work, but I thought the story itself was a little bland.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:afb0f9c339]Damn you, White Queen. You don't know what you're messing with...[/spoiler:afb0f9c339]

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm disappointed with the first 2 issues of the crossover. Chris Claremont seems to be phoning it in.

cytorak on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    excaliburs line up is and always has been pathetic.
    no. Captain Britain has never been cool. they shouldve left the exiles as is, a bunch of reality hopping saviors. now theyre tied up with Excalibur's tedious multi verse protectors story line.

for right now, i think the exiles roster has been its least interesting ever. sorry to be a bitch about all this, but i remember exiles being awesome from comic to comic. replacing the brains of the comic from
    heather to kitty
    made the comic seem less interesting. at least we have the AI programmed with the sassy black attitude.

roster spoilers!
    but lets face it
    kitty and psylocke dont add up to sasquatch
    as a character. I LOVE what they did with longshot during the proteus arc. his good luck is actually getting some use outside of awkward plot hole filler. sabes' is same ol' creed. same with clarice and morph. i just feel that kitty and betsy's powers with the addition of mystiq and rogue, the reintroduction of thunderbird, exiles has stopped being the fun and diverse team they were in the first arcs but your run of the mill X-men wannabes (with the exception of nocturne).

too sad. maybe if they put juggs on the team...

delphinus on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    maybe if they put juggs on the team...

He's already been on an Exiles team. :)

Owenashi on