As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Astonishing X-Men

123457»

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Kitty Pryde has been awesome for a long ass time. It's not something Whedon just invented because he has a fetish for asskicking women.

DJ Eebs on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Kitty Pryde has been awesome for a long ass time. It's not something Whedon just invented because he has a fetish for asskicking women.

I don't think anyone said that. What I specifically said was that she was underutilized for a long time.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

I don't think anyone said that. What I specifically said was that she was underutilized for a long time.

No, but it was implied, and not necessarily by you

DJ Eebs on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If you step back from the fun read that the first two arc make, you can see how terrible the stories are. They're well-written terrible stories. Some people claim that they're the best X-Men stories in 10 years... which is a sin.

This new arc has been the best, but a cure arc and the holodeck going crazy? Seriously. Horrible.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My position was this:

Dialogue: Awesome
    Stories: Not awesome

Scooter on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm not trying to flame or anything so don't take it that way .. but .. every issue I like Wheadon's X-Men less and less. It sometimes feels like Wheadon imagining Buffy charecters in an X-Men comic rather than going anywhere new. Anybody else agree, disagree .. ?
    Funny, I've been more or less the opposite. I disliked the whole Dangerous arc, and I had bad feelings about Torn at the beginning, but as it's gone on I've found it better, if no less confusing.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Whedon even admitted that Danger was pretty dumb.

I thought Ord was hilarious.

"What are you looking at? Shit, is that dragon behind me again?"

By the time I read that page, I was sold on the series.

The look on his face is priceless.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • graizurisheregraizurishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think the art is a big part of this title being really good.

graizurishere on
    edited September 2006
    I disagree... the best part of this series is how well Whedon seems to know the characters. While I agree the stories aren't the best, I also don't think they are the worst thing ever either... however the character interactions are spot on and awesome. Just look at the dynamic between Kitty and Emma. It's just spot on awesome.

Oh, and the dialogue. Oh, and Lockheed... now there was an under-utilized character.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

It's not even that the stories were particularly bad per se, but I think Whedon really need to work on his plotting. The arcs have started really, really slow and kind of rush to their conclusions, trying to cram in stuff that could've flowed a lot better. Sometimes it feels like Whedon's fighting against a relatively new medium for him, which is a shame considering how sharp and awesome his dialogue and characterizations are.

I mean, I still think that Astonishing is the best X-series being published that isn't called X-Factor, but I'd definitely like to see Whedon even out his plotting and get to a monthly schedule. If he can do that, Runaways will fucking rock the house once again.

Terrorbyte on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Did the cure story ever happen before whedon? That seems like something people would have tried a lot before.

In any event, seriously, I've never seen any writer better at dialogue than Whedon.

I was a fan of the first arc and definently the current one.

In any event, I think we can expect Whedon to get better seeing as how he wrote a grand total of nine issues before he started Astonishing.

Mai-Kero on
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I vaguely remember something about a mutant cure in the 90s cartoon. However it is quite possible that I'm just confused avout the whole thing.

Edit: Wikipedia tells me that there was an episode named The Cure. I'm guessing it was based on something that happened in the comics.

Tofenheimer on
    edited September 2006
    There was an thing with the cure for Mutants in the 90's cartoon, but it was Apocolypse with the help of Mystique... he used the "cure" machine to turn mutants into his horsemen, if I remember correctly.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I vaguely remember something about a mutant cure in the 90s cartoon. However it is quite possible that I'm just confused avout the whole thing.

Edit: Wikipedia tells me that there was an episode named The Cure. I'm guessing it was based on something that happened in the comics.
    I don't know if it was based on something in the comics, but it was a different thing altogether.

[spoiler:a4090f1e21]The machine that was supposed to "cure" mutants was really a device made by Apocalypse to turn them into his slaves. In the cartoon that's how he created Archangel and his other Horsemen.[/spoiler:a4090f1e21]

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    there have been lots of variations on the "cure" most of them involving Rogue.

forge invented a gun that took away mutant powers and it accidentally took away storm's powers and that's when she turned into a punk rawker bitch.

but long story short yeah it's been done

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

I don't know if it was based on something in the comics, but it was a different thing altogether.

[spoiler:3402ffca09]The machine that was supposed to "cure" mutants was really a device made by Apocalypse to turn them into his slaves. In the cartoon that's how he created Archangel and his other Horsemen.[/spoiler:3402ffca09]
    That sounds correct now that you mention it. I don't think I saw that episode more than once and that was a long time ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Tofenheimer on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    there have been lots of variations on the "cure" most of them involving Rogue.

forge invented a gun that took away mutant powers and it accidentally took away storm's powers and that's when she turned into a punk rawker bitch.

but long story short yeah it's been done
    Punk storm was damn cool.
    She beat cyclops with no powers and carried a pistol.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

It's not even that the stories were particularly bad per se, but I think Whedon really need to work on his plotting. The arcs have started really, really slow and kind of rush to their conclusions, trying to cram in stuff that could've flowed a lot better. Sometimes it feels like Whedon's fighting against a relatively new medium for him, which is a shame considering how sharp and awesome his dialogue and characterizations are.

I think its more then just the delivery that is off. Wheadon creates stories in completely different settings for basically the same sets of charecters. It wouldn't take much to change some names and places around in an Astonishing Arc and get some new adventures for Firefly or Buffy charecters.

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

I think its more then just the delivery that is off. Wheadon creates stories in completely different settings for basically the same sets of charecters. It wouldn't take much to change some names and places around in an Astonishing Arc and get some new adventures for Firefly or Buffy charecters.

They already did an episode of Buffy where the Danger Room came to life.

Just kidding... I kind of see what you mean, but I honestly think that statement could be made about almost any comic. Take the new Robin arc, where he's trying to find out who is kidnapping Gotham's rich kids. I can easily put Buffy in that spot and have it work.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

I've seen Firefly, but not Buffy. Please explain yourself, or else I'm just going to assume you're full os shit on all of this. I see no, and I mean no, Firefly paralleles.

august on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

Uh....huh.

Furu on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I've read both the trades and loved them. While in my local shop today I couldn't resist picking up the newest issue [spoiler:051344a2c4]Scott with a gun ftw[/spoiler:051344a2c4]. The cover alone sold me. Anyway I'm a bit lost could someone fill me in on the time between the second trade and where we are now?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Doodmann wrote:
    So I've read both the trades and loved them. While in my local shop today I couldn't resist picking up the newest issue [spoiler:6f0ab033df]Scott with a gun ftw[/spoiler:6f0ab033df]. The cover alone sold me. Anyway I'm a bit lost could someone fill me in on the time between the second trade and where we are now?

[spoiler:6f0ab033df]Emma Frost is either crazy or being mind controlled by Cassandra Nova. In the first issue, Emma, before everyone know's she's crazy, goes into Scott's mind and put's him in a coma. Meanwhile, the other people that are on emma's side take out the other x-men. Cassandra Nova turns beast's mind into that of a... beast, wolverine into an 8 year old english boy, one of them make's kitty lose control of her phasing ability, and sebastian shaw gets the SHIT beat out of him by Collosus, and then slams both of his ears, releasing all of the kinetic energy collosus just unleashed into him, knocking collosus unconcious. At the end of this issue, kitty regains control of her powers. Next issue: Shadowcat kicks everyone's ass. She goes ninja on emma frost, leaving her inside a cave below the house, while she goes to deal with the rest of the people. At the end, she comes face to face with someone who looks like Emma Frost did when she was first introduced, who calls herself the white queen. Then shadowcat has the best line ever. "YeahbuhWHAT?!"

and that leaves off where the current issue was.[/spoiler:6f0ab033df]

Mai-Kero on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

I don't think anything in Astonishing could have been an episode of Firefly. Buffy, yes. But then, Buffy was always a superhero. Superheroes are pretty interchangeable, once you set aside their backgrounds and personalities.

Regina Fong on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    My position was this:

I don't think anything in Astonishing could have been an episode of Firefly. Buffy, yes. But then, Buffy was always a superhero. Superheroes are pretty interchangeable, once you set aside their backgrounds and personalities.

I totally agree. Besides relative power levels (you won't confuse a Daredevil and Superman arc for each other) we have to admit that most of the "new" ideas in comics have been done before one way or another.

Oh, and nice title Jeepguy. :wink:

Gigaton on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gigaton wrote:

Oh, and nice title Jeepguy. :wink:

Thanks, it's a fantastic book.

130093.jpg

Regina Fong on
  • tehfalconertehfalconer moonrocks in my noseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone know what Whedon's next arc is supposed to be about? I'm pretty sure its about Breakworld/Colossus, but is there anything specific out there? Also, how long is Joss going to be writing for Runaways?

tehfalconer on
    ... you will be the falcon, and I shall remain... The Falconer!