As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello I am art [nsfw]

transatlanticalientransatlanticalien Registered User regular
First of all, hello! I am TA and I've decided to make a thread here after lurking for nearly seven years
I am very indecisive
For some background: I'm currently a student about to start a Foundation Course at the local art school- I didn't take art at A-level so I'm taking this route to hopefully progress from the foundation into a higher level course (while also having the opportunity to experiment with other media I haven't had much of a chance to otherwise).
In terms of goals, right now I'm mostly thinking in terms of freelance illustration but I'm trying to keep my options open at this stage. Illustration's mostly where I feel the most comfortable, though. But I do definitely have an affinity for comics (I just haven't made many yet!)
Anyway! Here is some art I made quite recently!!

Parts of an original comic with my OCs which I've been chugging away on
d___l_sundown_by_transatlanticalien-d67klhm.png
tumblr_mp0sl18cs91r8no8do1_500.png

A submission to an art zine centering around teeth
tumblr_inline_mpdoqpwPxs1qz4rgp.jpg

Experiments with sketching in graphite then painting over
tumblr_mnj11qbgjm1r8no8do1_500.png
tumblr_motm53NBKv1r8no8do1_500.png

Couple of sketches!
tumblr_mnod6z9wlc1r8no8do1_500.jpg
tumblr_mnfatgM5Un1r8no8do1_500.png

and who doesn't love a bit of gore
tumblr_mnyzpvVhmc1r2evflo1_500.png

One of the goals I set for myself this year was to try and get myself out there more, so hopefully I can not be a terrifically huge baby and make a bunch of posts!

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I for one am glad you have stopped lurking! You have some really nice stuff here, I like your style.

The comic page is really great, but I do wish there was a bit more line width variance. Post more!

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Looked at your art and to be honest...it sucks. I know it's hard to hear. But it really sucks...that you've waited so long to post! Fun stuff man! You're 2nd to last image with the figure studies is especially pleasing! Please share more!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You lurked for far too long, Nice to have you aboard!

You are about to start school? I don't know enough about (brittish?) school systems to know what A-level means. Is that like 19 and going to college, or like 24 and starting grad school?

Love the sketches, I'd be interested to see more of your life drawing, it looks like you have a expressive, loose feel for it. It'll be cool to see your classwork if its going to focus on foundation skills, too.

Keep posting!

• Options
    @F87: Hello and ah, you're right! One thing I've noticed with comics is that it's very easy to get caught up in the mindset of 'aaaAaA too many lines what am I doing' than on a single piece. I'm trying to slow down and think a little more when it comes to inks! Rushing through the final stages of things is a definite problem of mine.

@NZ
    Looked at your art and to be honest...it sucks. I know it's hard to hear. But it really sucks...
    Ah!
    Well, nobody said it was going to be easy, honesty's what I'm here for and--
    ...that you've waited so long to post!
    d'ohhhhhhhhhhh

@Iruka
    In a sentence, A-levels are like the intermediary step in between high school and university, and I was studying languages and literature until earlier this year. So yeah, it's the former in my case- I'm currently 18 and the foundation course is at BIAD, which is part of Birmingham City University. The goal with the foundation course is pretty much to prepare you for a higher level course (like a BA in Art & Design) so it's kind of a 'pre-university' thing

and thanks! You're all too cool wwww

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    *completely freaks out that someone else lives in Birmingham*

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Hello, friend! Technically I live just outside Birmingham but yeah, I've lived here my whole life!

I've been feeling really tripped out the last few days so I haven't got a lot done
    but I saw crunchyroll added both seasons of Kaiji so have some Tonegawas because he is handsome and I love him
    tumblr_mpm9rjxqWv1r2evflo1_500.png
    I don't understand why they cut out FUCK YOU that was the funniest shit ever goddamnit Madhouse

• Options
    edited August 2013
    WHOOPS kind of let this slip several pages

A self portrait:
    tumblr_mqm6hxlvsm1r8no8do1_r2_500.png
    Experimenting with colours of equal/similar value? I wanted to get across that kind of shifting uncertainty when you look straight at shadows/dimly lit areas
    nkbq.png
    Some arms because I struggle an embarrassing amount with arms:
    tumblr_mr1395ANBo1r8no8do1_500.png
    And this is cute and I kind of like it: a birthday gift for a friend drawing characters from her webcomic in a Tezuka style
    tumblr_mqtpsihFMV1r2qb23o1_500.png
    she really liked it and was pleased that I was the first to notice that influence and I was like 'naaaailed it'

And because @sharky t wanted to see 'em, my contributions to Bartkira! under the spoilers
    tmx1.png
    tumblr_mpc7cgcziy1r8no8do4_1280.png
    tumblr_mpc7cgcziy1r8no8do6_1280.png
    tumblr_mpc7cgcziy1r8no8do8_1280.png
    tumblr_mpc7cgcziy1r8no8do10_1280.jpg

transatlanticalien on
  • Options
    GristoGristo Registered User regular
    What is this comic?! It's like buddy cop Tank Girl skeletors. It looks totally awesome. I really like the colored page, too -- all the purple and yellow.

• Options
    @Gristo aa thanks! It's an original comic I've been chugging away at for the last couple of months- it's only meant to be around 10-ish pages but progress has been uh, slow

And while I'm here I guess I should explain it:
    The overall concept is that the world is filled with these sorts of demons/spirit-things that wreak havoc on humanity and there's one in particular that for decades has been going around attacking people in their sleep, turning them into these grotesque fleshy animal-head mutations. When that happens, the victims are thrown into this run-down closed-off city (because of the fear that the mutation will take over their minds and turn them feral). The two girls have these rare skull-head mutations, the consequence of which is that they have the ability to see and interact with all the demons while others can't. So their job is to take care of them throughout the city

BBbbbb uhhhmmmm
    A quick study of the pendant from one of my earrings (because metal=????????):
    tumblr_mrdnibsc5l1r8no8do1_500.png

My fictional waifu~
    tumblr_mrh0oyEH4M1r2evflo1_500.png

And I haven't been much inspired to draw non-fanart stuff at the moment unfortunately, I've been having issues with organising my thoughts and deciding what I want to do! A very poor sleep cycle doesn't help but well, excuses excuses
    I've been thinking hard about a concept for NatCoWriMo (unrelated to the original stuff I talked about above) so I may be doing stuff for that

• Options
    Couple of pages from my sketchbook, all drawn in cheap fineliner with no pencil
    I'd say that I was actively trying to challenge myself by having no eraser to use like I would digitally but in reality I just couldn't find a pencil
    tumblr_ms9f9se73V1r8no8do1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ms9f9se73V1r8no8do2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ms9f9se73V1r8no8do3_1280.jpg
    (not that interesting visually but wow! personality disorders! fascinating!)
    some more monster girl doodles, also from the sketchbook
    more_monster_gurlz_by_transatlanticalien-d6ke0y2.jpg
    and a heather wip that i've been procrastinating on because ennghhh
    tumblr_msdmahQ9eN1r8no8do1_500.png

• Options
    nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    Art's looking good. I am jealous of your Balti houses.

93acff97bUk2g.gif
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    Ah wow, really cool Bartkira pages, didn't get the notification when you first put them up. I like the lines and texture a lot.
    The page and art from your original comic in the first post look really cool too, hope to see more of that. Nice ideas in there!

• Options
    @nocuddletime: Thank you and I had a balti just the other day it was so good
    I couldn't live in a world where I couldn't get a good curry within a 3-mile radius
    @sharky_t ah wow thanks! Yeah, I had a ridiculous amount of fun doing Bartkira

I finished up the Heather wip from earlier though I was really lazy with that splattering
    tumblr_msobrh9PZ41r8no8do1_500.png

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey you are thinking of doing natcowrimo??? Do it! DOOO IT!

You have a great understanding of expressions. Your painting does not quite seem as confident as your line work, which is too bad, because your linework is awesome. There's just a lot more fuzzy edges and unsure blending, which I think you could ditch with a little more refinement. Your inked stuff is pretty choice, though.

Just, man. Do NatCoWriMo. You waaannnttt tooo

• Options
    You're totally right, painting is more of a struggle for me, especially when it comes to refinement- I'm trying to shy away from it less from doing more paint-y things more often

And I dooooo want to do it but my script is only half-done at this stage and I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it in when school starts
    BUT I will try it just might be... a bit slower than planned

• Options
    to avoid clogging up the doodle thread
    tumblr_mvtdzpqnGS1r8no8do1_500.jpg
    2/3 min pen sketches from the Harvard natural history museum during my trip to Boston! America is very strange

some misc things
    tumblr_mwdihoZ6xl1r8no8do1_500.png

I started reading the Dragonball manga from the beginning and damnit I'd forgotten Tien is cute don't look at me
    tumblr_mwbe61Vz9S1r8no8do1_r1_500.png

Also some Breaking Bad since I finished it this weekend (!!!!!!!!) behind spoilers- no specific give-aways but don't look if you haven't seen the last few episodes
    tumblr_mwf47bAbD11r8no8do2_1280.png
    tumblr_mwf47bAbD11r8no8do1_250.png

finally more doodle ideas from the monster boy/girl generator thing
    more_monster_mmn_by_transatlanticalien-d6v2edj.jpg

I also recently painted a new credits page for a manga I'm on the scanlation team for, but it was done really fast since I didn't want to waste too much time in case they didn't use it but they did and now I wish I'd spent longer on it lol (though I've actually updated it a bit since and need to send off the new one)

• Options
    edited November 2013
    oh my god shit sorry I didn't mean to post it twice

transatlanticalien on