As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Australia 2014 Discussion

2»

• Options
    RapacityRapacity Registered User regular
    What i want to see? Stuff from valve ideally. With everything they have been doing over the last 6 months or so with steam sharing, steam streaming, the steam box, the new controller.... the list goes on. I would love to see what they have up their sleeves for next year. I would love to see some more Australian based competitions played at the same time (not just league). Would love to see whatever they pick up as the new shooter next year, some SFIV or some other fighter, some dota, maybe even some fifa.

Interested in some board games the night before Pax Aus for 2014? Check the link below

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184666/traditional-pre-pax-boardgames-night-2014
  • Options
    McFoulMcFoul Registered User regular
    I second valve, and hope to see Giant Bomb make it this time after tragically not being able to make it this year. Them and Mega 64, wishful thinking but hey, it'd be rad.

• Options
    JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Rapacity wrote: »
    What i want to see? Stuff from valve ideally.

Valve seem to be the company that if they were going to do something they'd start their own con.... Steamcon!

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    I second the Giantbomb crew, I'd also like to see a bigger (or any) presence for all major games publishers and console makers. Kudos to Ubisoft and Nintendo for showing up this year.

I'd also like a more tabletop RPG love, but I dunno how organizers accomplish that. WOTC had a big presence, Magic was everywhere so why couldn't WOTC put 10% of that budget into some D&D stuff, maybe reach out to the Onyx Path peeps or CCP and get some World of Darkness or Exalted game runners... there are a tonne of great RPG's out there there must be some organizers who would jump at the chance to rum something at a con with such a big turn out.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited December 2013
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Valve seem to be the company that if they were going to do something they'd start their own con.... Steamcon!

Steamcon is cool, i've been there each of the 5 years of its existence, but unfortunately has nothing to do with Valve. :-)

Although now that I think about it, coincidentally, the last 3 years it has been in the same building complex as Valve's offices.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    for those coming from o'seas - look at coming via a asian travel hub. may be cheaper. Vietnam, Southern China, malaysia and singapore can have cheap prices to australia.
    - vonhist

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So, I spied a PAX 2014 promo stall at Cancon (this current Australia day long weekend at Canberra) which was pretty cool and also sort of interesting.
    I never really considered Cancon to be quite large enough for this sort of cross pollination to be cost effective, but also I wouldn't have thought PAX needed cross promotion considering how fast the tickets sold out. So the fact that the booth was there despite this was pretty awesome.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Yup. Yug (the community manager) was there holding the fort according to his FB updates. There are still single day passes available so any chance to get more people is always good. Plus its more people to donate to the Cookie Brigade /muhahahah

• Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we were at Cancon, initially we were just going to help and support the event, but they asked if we'd be interested in exhibiting and we figured, why not! Got to answer a bunch of people's questions about PAX Aus, and pick up a bunch of games in the auction for the PAX Aus Tabletop library :)

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    That cosplay comp I was talking to you on FB about better still be in your design plans Yug :P

Fitzchivalry on
  • Options
    surfarchersurfarcher The dark depths of Tartarus...Registered User new member
    ninnanuam wrote: »
    I second the Giantbomb crew, I'd also like to see a bigger (or any) presence for all major games publishers and console makers. Kudos to Ubisoft and Nintendo for showing up this year.

I'd also like a more tabletop RPG love, but I dunno how organizers accomplish that. WOTC had a big presence, Magic was everywhere so why couldn't WOTC put 10% of that budget into some D&D stuff, maybe reach out to the Onyx Path peeps or CCP and get some World of Darkness or Exalted game runners... there are a tonne of great RPG's out there there must be some organizers who would jump at the chance to rum something at a con with such a big turn out.

OK so the schedule's not out yet, or anything like that.

But a little birdie tells me there are no official plans yet for a D&D presence. Even though the new edition will be released in a few short months, well in advance of Pax Aus.

My understanding is that some person or group would need to shoulder the responsibility for organizing it. If someone was to do that then Wizards might be able to come to the table and provide some kind of support...

The big question is, who is up for organizing that? If noone does it's quite unlikely it'll happen.

Find me @surfarcher and my blog...
  • Options
    melissainaumelissainau PAX Aus Tabletop Manager Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    surfarcher wrote: »
    OK so the schedule's not out yet, or anything like that.

Whilst I can't speak for what our exhibitors may or may not be offering seven months away, I can assure you that @delwyn is on the case to make sure we have a great cross-section of RPG systems available for play. We're always happy to hear from volunteer GMs for any systems.

• Options
    Whilst I can't speak for what our exhibitors may or may not be offering seven months away, I can assure you that @delwyn is on the case to make sure we have a great cross-section of RPG systems available for play. We're always happy to hear from volunteer GMs for any systems.
    By official I didn't mean "PAX Aus official" ;-)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Pretty sure Wizards will come - Magic was a huge thing @ PAXAus2013, and really we need another Chandra pin so they have to come :smiley:

So by association D&D should get represented...

Fitzchivalry on
  • Options
    Oh Wizards will have a stand, I am certain.

But a very reliable source says they don't have plans for any organized play yet.

If we organize a play event early enough we may be able to get official WotC support.

• Options
    MollyAustMollyAust Registered User new member
    not sure if this is mentioned anywhere else yet.....
    PAX Aust 2013 had a musical concert on the first night of the con.......as the Friday will be Halloween, is there plans to maximize this potential awesome combo??

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    MollyAust wrote: »
    not sure if this is mentioned anywhere else yet.....
    PAX Aust 2013 had a musical concert on the first night of the con.......as the Friday will be Halloween, is there plans to maximize this potential awesome combo??

PAXen always have concerts each night of the convention. Many people just didn't realize it or were too tired to stay for them.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, not each night. Each night except the last night :)