As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman,so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
edited November 2015 in Games and Technology
Right Lads! I'm taking over this joint!
1024x576.resizedimage

For now I'm stealing Dovers op (Yar!) but I will be making some changes to it over the next few days.

assassins-creed-4-black-flag-confirmed-by-ubisoft.jpg
Assassin's Creed Series Discussion

As we all enjoy the game, please make sure to keep story and event spoilers in "spoiler tags" so to not ruin the game for anyone else.

History

The Assassin's Creed series, developed by Ubisoft, debuted in 2007 with the original Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Players assumed the role of Desmond Miles, a modern day fellow who just happens to have a genetic assassin ancestor in his past. Using a machine called the Animus, Desmond is able to view and control his ancestor, an assassin by the name of Altair. Combining elements of stealth, action, science-fiction, and (partially) historical accurate references, AC was a commercial success for Ubisoft and work for a sequel was placed underway.

Assassin's Creed II launched in November of 2009, once again for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. The sequel had players still playing as Desmond, but controlling a different assassin ancestor by the name of Ezio. AC2 added new gameplay elements such as swimming, riding horses and boats, and the introduction of Leonardo da Vinci who invents a bunch of devices for Ezio to use.

Riding upon the success of ACII, Ubisoft released follow-up games, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations in 2010 and 2011. Both AC:B and AC:Rev are sequels in story to AC2 with players once again controlling the assassin Ezio. The difference this time around is that Ezio can recruit other assassins to work for him in his struggles against the Templars. Finally, AC:B is also the first game in the series to feature a multiplayer mode in which players are hunting targets while avoiding being targeted themselves.

Assassin's Creed III. The game takes place during the Revolutionary War and features a new protagonist, Conner. Hunt down Red Coats (and some Blue Coats) and find out what the Templars have been up to for the last couple hundred years.

Assassin's Creed IV takes our stabbing onto the high seas. Take control of Captain Edward Kenway, pirate captain and the newest protagonist.

You can learn more about the series by visiting the official webpage, joining the Facebook page, playing the interactive Facebook game Project Legacy, watching the animated movie Assassin's Creed Ascendance, or connecting to Uplay and earn points to unlock new multiplayer characters and gear.

Want to find other PA people to play some Multiplayer with on Xbox360/XB1? Send a friend request to our new meta tag: PA Abstergo

Want to find other PA people to play some Multiplayer with on PS3/4? Post your PSN name here in the forum and include @Morninglord so I can add you to the list below.
DouglasDanger
Farangu
jermtse
RhesusPositive
dracilcegon

PC Uplay Id

If you are friends on Uplay you share and get access to special discoveries (treasure chests, special fishing spawns, royal convoys that are worth a lot of $$$ so do it). If you want to be added to this list post your uplay id in the thread with @Morninglord
You can speed/heal your friends ships in the Kenway Fleet minigame! Be a PA Bro and make a habit of checking friends ships before you exit.
PA PRIVATEERS

KrylonBlack
akajaybay
Dr_Chaosfox
Chace2586
darunia106
jebral
Jimmy_Marku
marms1
Morninglord1981
sjchszeppelin
stupiduplaypoo
syphonblue83
xaigglus
Mongerous
amwolff85
eahenryii
StiltsTheGM
rallef_S
austef
cleveralias2008
Cabezone
striderjg
Corpekata
Dr_Keenbean
njthorne
ChrysisNZ
Joolander
Boozacula
nerfthatman
blacksun00
JesusJihad
DrVanMojo
Fiatil
Drijen
rpuresteel
weavermatic
NoYes384
MoP54
Kizzik
Elbasunu-2
jermtse
L4ZY3YE

(Original credit for the initial compiling of this list is Risen Phoenix, alas he fell victim to the Dread Pirate Morninglords evil plundering ways. Yar! Seriously though thanks for that, you saved me a lot of work.)

Stuff you can do in this game as demonstrated by yours truly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBX0aaXC2fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnNUP-XIxs

Capturing a Man o War (I completely ran out of bullets and consumables prior which is why I only use the sword.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc830lUHG_U&feature=youtu.be

A stealth video that shows off the highlighting in eagle vision feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv3Cu6irApw

An example of a few of the new items (berserk darts which drive enemies crazy and make them attack allies, your "gun kata" and a sleep dart)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzO7reArk74

Freedom's Cry DLC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxNjLX4M-A

Once you've downloaded this you have to select it via the top right box of the main menu. If you have Aveline the image will be unchanged, so click it and select Freedom's Cry from the sub menu. If you don't have Aveline it will have a Freedom's Cry image.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
Morninglord on

• Options
    OzonekillOzonekill Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Since he is not really an assassin does anybody use the non-hooded outfits?

Ozonekill on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I gotta look up the lyrics to some of these shanties. Maybe just one shanty in particular.

Oh, do me, Johnny Boker, come rock and roll me over!
    Do me, Johnny Boker, do!
    Oh, do me, Johnny Boker, my butthole is a stoker!
    Do me, Johnny Boker, do!

I swear that's what I hear. And that's the entire song to boot, just them singing that for 4 minutes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for the Pirate Captain outfit myself.

So far in playthrough 2 I have ever shanty, my prefered weapons (pirate cutlasses and cannon barelled pistols), and the Jack' is fully upgraded cept for the diving bell needed ones.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Finally getting right into the thick of ship combat. Theres no giant squids in this game or anything, is there?

I'd rather not shit my pants.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Well, Doc...

there's this one easter egg...

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I gotta look up the lyrics to some of these shanties. Maybe just one shanty in particular.

Oh, do me, Johnny Boker, come rock and roll me over!
    Do me, Johnny Boker, do!
    Oh, do me, Johnny Boker, my butthole is a stoker!
    Do me, Johnny Boker, do!

I swear that's what I hear. And that's the entire song to boot, just them singing that for 4 minutes.
    All the shanty lyrics are in the database or your inventory. I forget which.

Leave Her, Johnny has been stuck in my head for days.

For the voyage is long and the winds don't blow
    And it's time for us to leave her

:whistle:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, Doc...

there's this one easter egg...
    Well, as long as it's not during underwater exploration and I can feel safe on my big manly ship.

...it's underwater or on the rowboat, isn't it?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    My friend watched me fight a couple of Man O' Wars tonight. He heartily disapproves of my methods. In his game, he sidles up and goes broadside for broadside with them, relying on his mega upgraded ship and luck to win the day.

Me? I approach things a little differently. I sidle up and park in their path, then stealth swim up onto their deack and assassinate the entire crew, taking their ship based on stealth and personal strength of arms (or counters) and never risk the Jackdaw. Never fight a fair fight if you can avoid it, am I right?

• Options
    Wait, you can sneak onboard without wearing the ship down first?

Thats awesome.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Thats awesome.

Yup. The ship will generally shoot at Edward as you do so, so make use of stealth swimming.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Thats awesome.

Don't try it on Legendaries. You desynch if you touch them

• Options
    A shame, as being able to capture one and send it to the fleet would be amazing.

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I forget who mentioned D3DOVERIDER to help with the FPS issues, but wow... THANK YOU!

I went from "I hate this game and I want to break my computer monitor over my chair and then push my chair through a wall"

TO:

"Yeahhh....Pirates!"

Sick game, absolutely the best in the series IMO!

sliver911 on
  • Options
    Finally managed to kill that turtle with a pistol. Can't skin him though.

What kind of sick world is this where I can't blow a turtle's brains out and then harvest him?

• Options
    eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm eahenryii on uplay. I think. @Morninglord

eahenryii on
  • Options
    eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Thats awesome.

Don't try it on Legendaries. You desynch if you touch them

When this happened to me, my first thought was, "Well, at least I don't have to do the swim back...."

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Finally getting right into the thick of ship combat. Theres no giant squids in this game or anything, there?

I'd rather not shit my pants.

Hey, I was the guy that first recorded the video of that. nostalgia

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Got to Kingston last night. That place is pretty big.

I started exploring it a bit last night, but with as large as it is, I wasn't able to finish before I needed to stop for the night.

My general method for a new area is to fully explore it before I start with missions. So I'll be collecting viewpoints, animus shards, chests, and shanties for most of the night tonight, since Kingston is so big. Also, it has quite a few assassin contracts as I recall, so that will keep me busy also.

• Options
    Took down my first fort.

MORTAR! Mortar everything.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Took down my first fort.

So I took out a fort in the Western side of the map, but I was dodging a water spout the entire time! I think one turret or so was killed by the twister though. As soon as I took out the last of the turrets, the water spout died and the skies cleared.
    Very weird. Seemed like a bug. So freaking exciting! I was so excited about pulling that off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    using a berserk dart on the scouts up on the masts of ships is hilarious. they pretty much do the killing work for you.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any of you try the Vita/PS4 remote play for this game? Tonight when I get home from work I think I'm going to test it out.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Thats awesome.

I'd love it if you could sneak onboard, assassinate the captain and then just carry on sailing with a totally new crew and ship until the officers noticed that you're not their captain, you're just wearing his old hat.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Thats awesome.

I'd love it if you could sneak onboard, assassinate the captain and then just carry on sailing with a totally new crew and ship until the officers noticed that you're not their captain, you're just wearing his old hat.

Well hey.

It fooled the Templars.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Berzerk darts are great. If you get lucky on assassination contracts, you can usually pop up and shoot the target and roll the fuck out.
    I think once the dart wears off they keel over automatically. But there's something nice about someone being such a douche he gets a price on his head and in the end, his friends kill him.

• Options
    They're also good for getting past a particularly thick bundle of guards. Send one berserk, and slip out while they all stare at him.

But man. Sleep darts.

Love 'em.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I tend to talk to myself when I play. I'll have the shooters on the roof trying to kill me, so I'll use his buddy as a shield, and then shoot the rooftop guy with a sleep dart while whispering "sleeeeeeep"
    Hopefully he has enjoyable dreams where he relives killing his friend. The jerk.

• Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    @Morninglord and everyone else- adding self to Uplay list and sending invites- "amwolff85"

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Do you need to be uplay friends for the console versions? I'm jclast both on 360 and uplay in case you do.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Ha ha, Berzerk darts have become my tool of choice for taking care of assassination contracts, too.

At least, when the swivel cannon isn't an option. ;)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I have a bunch of people just on my 360 friends list and I have received help/given help to them (without having them as Uplay friends).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Machismo wrote: »
    Took down my first fort.

So I took out a fort in the Western side of the map, but I was dodging a water spout the entire time! I think one turret or so was killed by the twister though. As soon as I took out the last of the turrets, the water spout died and the skies cleared.
    Very weird. Seemed like a bug. So freaking exciting! I was so excited about pulling that off.

This happened to me. I have footage of it too. Not that I have the time to actually encode and upload it what with playing all my free time. :)
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    My friend watched me fight a couple of Man O' Wars tonight. He heartily disapproves of my methods. In his game, he sidles up and goes broadside for broadside with them, relying on his mega upgraded ship and luck to win the day.

Me? I approach things a little differently. I sidle up and park in their path, then stealth swim up onto their deack and assassinate the entire crew, taking their ship based on stealth and personal strength of arms (or counters) and never risk the Jackdaw. Never fight a fair fight if you can avoid it, am I right?

I caught a few that way, until I spent so long chasing this one man of war in the water, so far away from my ship that it became more efficient to try to catch it, as it was engaged in combat with four frigates, that I popped the swim 2 nautical miles cheevo. I gave up in the end when I accidentally caught a frigate (it sailed right into my path) and decided that was good enough. It was a long swim back to my ship. By the time I boarded the frigate, the damn man o war was gone.

So now I just blow them away. It's not luck if you know what you are doing. The jackdaw is a monster.
    I'm too lazy to swim.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah people who are like "I'm too smart for ship combat, I just swim to boats and take them the easy way!" are really just cheating them out of a super awesome piece of gameplay. Ship combat is amazing.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    @Morninglord , please add me to the uplay list. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bringing up Ubisoft preying on my aquaphobia from earlier, apparently theres a creepy octopus easter egg in AC2 that I thank god I missed the first time I played it.

Frickin ocean, man. Some scary shit going on down there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    @Morninglord , please add me to the uplay list. Thanks!

Sure just let me suck the uplay id out of your frontal lobes with my mind reading machine...

Oh. Blue screen. Wouldn't you know it?

I'm afraid you have to give it to me manually.

• Options
    Keep firin' till they see the glow of our sass cannons!
    Let loose all smarm!

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    I tried taking a man-o-war by murdering it's entire occupancy, but I had to get back on my boat and shoot it one time before it let me have it.

I assumed it was because I didn't cut the flag down during my ship cleaning?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Hmm I assumed it was because you have to initiate the "boarding sequence" to actually take a ship.

Xbox Live: Jefe414