As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mounting a Microwave

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
We have a Daewoo/Magic Chef(?) over-range microwave that came with our condo. Due to circumstances beyond my control*, and because it doesn't seem to do a very good job actually microwaving, I'd like to get a new one.

I'll be goosed if I can actually find any information on it, however. It's a Daewoo MT1510ST, with "Daewoo DC" on the door. I'm guessing it's a 1.5 cu ft based on the "15", looking at current models. What size can I slot in there? There's no space on either side of the frame or above; cabinet goes right to the metal.

So I'm assuming I need to find a 1.5cu ft to match it? How difficult of a job is it to replace a mounted unit?

*
One of the under-counter lights burned out, and I apparently pulled out just the bulb, leaving the base still attached. Which is a whole other problem.

Jokerman wrote: »
If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
MichaelLC on

Posts

  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    OTR microwaves are generally a standard width (~30 inches), as that's the standard range width. I'd just double check the height/depth, then check to see if it's recirculating or has a vent it pushes out to (match whatever it currently has).
    Beyond that, I'll just note that it's a pain in the ass and you need 2 people to lift and align it to the new bracket.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The internal size doesn't really matter. You don't need a 1.5cu ft microwave. You need to figure out the width, first, because that's the most limiting factor, as schuss said. The width determines if it can physically fit in the space.

    Then check the depth, see how it compares to your current one. You don't want the microwave sticking a foot and a half out from your cabinets suddenly.

    Lastly, make sure there is sufficient clearance between the microwave and the stovetop (height) if you're using an over-the-range microwave, because too close can damage it.

    You also need to check the wattage requirements.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I just yelled at a contractor at work for fucking this up.

    Things to keep in mind. Make sure to get the mounting kit. Usually costs an extra 8-16 bucks. Reusing the old one usually doesn't work.

    Also make sure that you have clearance for the opening of the hinges. IE a 15 inch width opening will warrant a 14.75 inch microwave.

    zepherin on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Generally, you should get a firm grip on either side of the microwave, and then attempt rear entry in a slow but firm rhythm. Before you penetrate, MAKE SURE that the microwave is not plugged in. If you insist on mounting while it is plugged in, make sure any metal piercings are removed from your genitals, or you might cause a fire.

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    see317Siska
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This is sounding more unpleasant all the time. :). Thought it'd be just a matter of sliding out the old one and sloting in the new one.

    I don't think I've even bought a countertop one, always had one included or got a second-hand.

    Guess it's about time, since I'd really like to trade the coil cooktop for an induction.

    Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    This is sounding more unpleasant all the time. :). Thought it'd be just a matter of sliding out the old one and sloting in the new one.

    I don't think I've even bought a countertop one, always had one included or got a second-hand.

    Guess it's about time, since I'd really like to trade the coil cooktop for an induction.
    Sorry man. Generally anything that is hanging like that is going to need secure mounting. You could always have the company that brings the mic to do the install, but it's going to cost about an extra 100 or 150 bucks. Of course countertop mics are 200 bucks cheaper anyways, so you might just want to save the money.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

    Also make sure that you have clearance for the opening of the hinges. IE a 15 inch width opening will warrant a 14.75 inch microwave.

    Unless you've got at least an extra two inches of depth on the microwave, in which case the hinges are past the cabinetry.

    What is this I don't even.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    The only thing that makes it suck is that you have to line it up on a bracket and it weighs 60 pounds and is bulky like whoa. After doing one myself with a friend, I paid the damn money to get it done, because fuck that shit.

  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

    Also make sure that you have clearance for the opening of the hinges. IE a 15 inch width opening will warrant a 14.75 inch microwave.

    Unless you've got at least an extra two inches of depth on the microwave, in which case the hinges are past the cabinetry.
    Fair enough. I generally prefer things to be flush with the cabinetry, or wall.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

    Also make sure that you have clearance for the opening of the hinges. IE a 15 inch width opening will warrant a 14.75 inch microwave.

    Unless you've got at least an extra two inches of depth on the microwave, in which case the hinges are past the cabinetry.
    Fair enough. I generally prefer things to be flush with the cabinetry, or wall.

    Absolutely fair. My cabinetry isn't custom and there is no microwave that can be flush with it.

    Also, it sucks.

    What is this I don't even.
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    This is sounding more unpleasant all the time. :). Thought it'd be just a matter of sliding out the old one and sloting in the new one.

    I don't think I've even bought a countertop one, always had one included or got a second-hand.

    Guess it's about time, since I'd really like to trade the coil cooktop for an induction.

    Woah what? You're going to replace the entire stove because the OTR microwave died?

  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

    Also make sure that you have clearance for the opening of the hinges. IE a 15 inch width opening will warrant a 14.75 inch microwave.

    Unless you've got at least an extra two inches of depth on the microwave, in which case the hinges are past the cabinetry.
    Fair enough. I generally prefer things to be flush with the cabinetry, or wall.

    Absolutely fair. My cabinetry isn't custom and there is no microwave that can be flush with it.

    Also, it sucks.
    Well not much can be done if it sucks, but most of the microwaves and cabinets follow a cookie cutter standard. So much depth so much width. There isn't too much variation. Generally having everything flush with the cabinetry is the goal with the fridge, mic, stove and dish washer.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the advice. I wish, but we've got no counter space. Could get rid of the toaster oven but not sure a micowave would even fit in that spot anyway.
    I'll check ads for next week and see there's any install deals.

    As for the door,the current unit sticks out past the cabentry so it should be OK. Good to keep in mind, though!

    Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I appreciate the advice. I wish, but we've got no counter space. Could get rid of the toaster oven but not sure a micowave would even fit in that spot anyway.
    I'll check ads for next week and see there's any install deals.

    As for the door,the current unit sticks out past the cabentry so it should be OK. Good to keep in mind, though!

    Home Depot and Lowes are in the midst of a price war, so you're in good shape. Home Depot will install for $59, which was worth it for me.

Sign In or Register to comment.