As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play [XCOM : Enemy Within] Your Planet. Your Fight. Join Today!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    MARCH 14TH, 2015. 2000 HOURS.
    OPERATION UNCEASING FIST
    MUNICH, GERMANY

I'm pretty sure Operation Unceasing Fist didn't actually take place in Munich, Germany.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Are you questioning the accuracy of these historical documents?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    (Apologies if you would rather not have something like this. I just like doing this with the X-coms)

-Audio log of Rookie Clark "Heenato" vivian-

"Log date....Uuuuh..who the hell knows. We're halfway to the center of the earth! I signed up for this thinkin' I'd be doing something with my life other than suckin' down doughnuts as I chase down speeders. Granted, at the moment, that would be more exciting. Guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, as I haven't been shot yet, but there ain't much to do in a secret underground base. And because of the budget issues, I cant even sneak into storage and poke the greys. Maybe next time someone is in the field, I should see if they can swipe a handheld or something. Well. You know what they say. If you cant find fun, make it.

-transmission ends-

(Just to make sure we're cool here, this isn't a "Oh, put me in the next mission" thing. Just a little bit of flavor I like to do)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Are you questioning the accuracy of these historical documents?

How can they be historical when I'm still living through these events?
    Every time I close my eyes.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Walks through the hangar, "Highway to the Dangerzone" blasting on his portable music device.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Stardate: 1800 Alpha
    Liquor supplies have run dangerously low for the recruits not getting mission time. I fear my hardwon captaincy of the bartop may not help my chances.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Its like the Director knows who I am.
    /looks up into the sky...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    report-12.jpg

DIRECTOR'S LOG
    MARCH 19TH, 2015

The lab says it's reached the limit of what it can accomplish with the fragments of the self-destructing ET weaponry. They've developed a specialized weapon sight, and have future plans for a photonic particle weapon series... no guarantees that it'll be what we need when we need it, but them's the breaks.

research-2.jpg

In the meantime, we're spitballing ideas for how to try and take an ET alive. The hope is that this will not only prevent the self-destruct mechanism of it's weapon from activating, but that we might be able to get into it's head. Glean some insight about their motivations, their base of operations, tactics, etc.

research-3.jpg

That's just the small fries for news, though: we not only just got the cybernetics lab operational, but we have our first volunteer for augmentation - Benjamin "Notorious" Wagner. Guy's a trooper - been on every mission so far, and as much as he goofs around, I hardly even see him taking a breather.

I'm not going to lie: I'm nervous as all Hell about this. What if the procedure just doesn't work? What if the weapons platform itself is a bust? We might kill one of our best men, or cripple him.

build-1.jpg
    MEC-1.jpg

I guess it's too late for second thoughts about the program now; Wagner went under for surgical prep over an hour ago.

MEC-2.jpg

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CRITICAL UFO ACTIVITY THRESHOLD REACHED
    MULTIPLE INTERDICTION REQUESTS RECIEVED

abuc-2A.jpg
    abuc-2B.jpg
    abuc-2C.jpg

What is our next destination?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I agree :3

You should go to Argentina. Nothing bad will happen in Argentina.

• Options
    If it were me playing solo, I'd be selecting America.

It gives us back a Heavy and protects a good donor so we don't have to worry about them later. Argentina is something we're going to grab at earliest convenience anyway, so as long as they don't Panic right away, I'm not concerned about their terror level.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    at least I didn't have to go through the Peter Weller experience to get my robot suit.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Did... Did you translate my name for Operation Unceasing Fist? Because I finally looked up my name the other day, and it means excessive fist. I like to think that's an alternate name for Kenshiro's slpecial attack from Fist o the North Star. Even though I thought of it at random years ago.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I want to say 'murica, but that's because in my playthroughs I have WAY more casualties than this let's play.

WAY MORE.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I haven't killed anything in over a week. I'm going stir crazy in this goddamn infirmary. You doctors better clear me for combat soon, or I'm going to have to start performing my own surgical procedures on the lot of you.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Argentina: More Engineers is better.

• Options
    There's more panic in India than in the US or Argentina, so I say India.

I mean, we snubbed Asia once already, do we really want to do so again? Especially since we're chopping off someone's arms and legs as we speak just so we can put them in a giant robot suit. But we won't have giant robot suits if Japan leaves, now will we?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    HQ-Tomorrow is in Japan.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    HQ-Tomorrow is in Japan.

I know that means we'll always have the Asia bonus, but does that also mean Japan will never bail on the XCOM project?
    Also, I don't always vote along the most sensible lines because I already do that when I play the game myself.

• Options
    It is literally impossible in Classic for the country you start in to abandon the project.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It is literally impossible in Classic for the country you start in to abandon the project.

Shoot.

Well, we should still go to India because... erm... because after our first volunteer becomes a quadruple amputee for the greater good of humanity, they could use some cheering up. And what better way to cheer someone up than with Bollywood movies?

No, no.

Never mind then.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What matters is that we have an underground facility in Japan.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    So your HQ is in Japan, yes yes keep going *scribbles notes*

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I vote United States. Having a Sergeant this early in the game would be huge, especially since we have the Asia bonus -- our first Sergeant opens up the Squad Size I upgrade.

Plus, we can easily counteract the panic in South America with satellite launches, and fuck panic in Asia -- we don't need 'em.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well, we're not living in America, but we're not sorry.

USA and explosions go together like two things that go together. We could use more boom.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    It's a closer choice this time.

Granted, Argentina is a good choice for one of the early satellites for the We Have Ways bonus, but 5 free engineers saves on having to bother with early Workshop construction. Letting 'Murica get panicky and then bailing them out with a satellite will grant you a bit more money at the end of the month, though. I say keep Argentina sweet, have them gift you much-needed engineers, and if it comes to it, put a satellite over America and you can use the extra funds towards another satellite or even a workshop.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wow, tough choices there.

I'm tempted to say India because having those 4 extra scientists would do wonders in cutting down the research times for Laser weaponry and that will come in handy when we're dealing with Thin Men and the corpse humpers. More engies is always good. Do we have enough for the Sat Uplink?

However, as our Heavy had turned his body over to Vahlen's knife, we'll want a replacement. MEC or no, Rockets are civilisation and we need to present the token of civilisation to the xeno scum. That and instantly gaining a Sergeant will really help in instant firepower as well as gaining the Squad size upgrade. America is my vote.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Commander

I got family in Miami. I know Kupo usually handles Big Bird but if you need me to fly the skyranger on this one; I'm your man.

Cpt "Goumindong"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Can we get intel on the world's panic status?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    With panic already risen in China, I feel we should focus our efforts on Asia, even if Indian scientists aren't particularly prestigious. India

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    I know it's late but,
    I'm cool with being with Exalt.

• Options
    TO: CPT 'GOUMINDONG'

Captain Goumindong, your application for temporary assignment to Big Bird has been processed, and your request is approved.

Good luck in Miami.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Argentina

We need more eyes in the skies.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    edited November 2013
    report-13.jpg
    MARCH 22ND, 2015. 0425 HOURS.
    OPERATION BLOODY GIFT
    MIAMI, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    s1.jpg

...BEGIN MISSION RECORDER PLAYBACK...
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": So, the doc finally kissed all your boo boos better?
    DELTA-3 "Megamek": Makes you jealous, doesn't it?
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": A little bit.
    Director: Delta, report status.
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Status yellow, HQ. LZ is clear; we're beginning our sweep.

s2.jpg

BIG BIRD-1 "Goumindong": ...My sister works here. Used to work here. Jesus.
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": She was probably at home when this shit went down. Don't worry about it.
    BIG BIRD-1 "Goumindong": ...Yeah. Sure. Copy that.

s3.jpg
    s4.jpg

Director: Delta, we've got readings on a Meld cache nearby. Secure it.
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Copy, HQ. Mega & Bethryn, get in position to breech that door.
    DELTA-3 "Megamek": Roger.
    DELTA-2 "Bethryn": Roger.

s5.jpg
    s6.jpg

DELTA-1 "Vegeta": So... 'Rainfall', right? This your first dance? If you need any pointers--
    DELTA-7 "Rainfall": I was stationed in Iraq for 7 years.
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": ...Oh.
    DELTA-3 "Megamek": Breaching!

s7.jpg
    s8.jpg

DELTA-3 "Megamek": Contact!
    DELTA-2 "Bethryn": Contact!

s9.jpg

DELTA-1 "Vegeta": I see 'em! I'm re-positioning to get a better--

s11.jpg
    s10.jpg

DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Shit. Additional contacts!
    DELTA-3 "Megamek": Got one sighted...

s12.jpg
    s13.jpg

DELTA-3 "Megamek": Fuck.
    DELTA-7 "Rainfall": <sigh> ...amateurs...

s14.jpg

DELTA-7 "Rainfall": Look sharp! One's on the move!

s15.jpg
    s16.jpg

DELTA-1 "Vegeta": No longer a problem. Oh, and speaking of problems...

s17.jpg
    s18.jpg
    s19.jpg

DELTA-7 "Rainfall": ...alright, he's pretty good...
    DELTA-2 "Bethryn": Mega, watch it; one of 'em's gunning for you!

s21.jpg
    s20.jpg

DELTA-7 "Rainfall": ...these girls. I've got to get some time on the range with them...
    DELTA-2 "Bethryn": Incoming!

s22.jpg

DELTA-3 "Megamek": --UGHNN!--
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Delta-3?
    DELTA-3 "Megamek": ...Got another boo boo for someone to kiss better.

s23.jpg

DELTA-7 "Rainfall": Pineapple out.

s24.jpg

DELTA-7 "Rainfall": ...That noise they make just before they die is pretty cute.
    Director: We're still registering movement in your mission area, Delta. Sweep that structure thoroughly and carefully.
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Copy that, HQ--WOAH!
    Unknown: Who the fuck are you!?
    DELTA-1 "Vegeta": Easy lady! Put that thing down! ...Holy shit, did you bag all these--
    BIG BIRD-1 "Goumindong": Sis? Was that you?
    Unknown: ...Donger!?
    BIG BIRD-1 "Goumindong": Yeah, it's me.
    Unknown: Jesus. Took you long enough to get here.

s25.jpg

...MISSION RECORDER PLAYBACK ENDS...

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    alright! next mission we get to see my shiny new warmachine. :D

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Woo! Killing adorable sectoids all day long.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    panic-2.jpg

DIRECTOR'S LOG
    MARCH 22ND, 2015

Had a breakdown today.

Delegates from India, China and Egypt swung by my office; they were pissed. I tried to explain XCOM's position, the decisions that go into our deployments... they weren't having it. Some of them accused me of having a western bias, some of them flat-out declared me to be a racist. I grabbed the budget figures, the UFO activity charts, I tried to show them that even if any of those accusations were true, XCOM's decisions based were on data - not the personal feelings of anyone.

They told me if the President were here making the calls, instead of some sorry little former White House clerk...

We never did find out what happened to the President or his family. Air Force One was over the arctic when the invaders dropped the hammer; we found some of her wreckage, but no survivors and no bodies.

I'm not made of stone. I'm not former military. I'm not half the man my boss was, and I pray to God every night that he'll come marching through the perimeter blast doors in the morning, ready to take the reigns and kick some ass. But, until that prayer is answered, XCOM has to settle for me.

I was able to hold it until the delegates left.

I haven't cried that hard in a long, long time.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This.... I like this so far. Writing is probably a bit better than Fishman's. Some people might not like how it isn't as.... expressive,
    biiiiiiiiiiitch
    but personally I think it's an improvement. I like your world building as well. That blend of hopeless yet hopeful that I like.
    Anyway, !SIGN UP.
    I'd prefer to not be a heavy. I'd also rather male and/or American, but really that's irrelevant. Really, the biggest priority for me might be will. I'm not saying skimp on the other things, but if I die, I will die unflinching.
    Also, I have a certain tendency to abuse the phonetic alphabet in everyday conversation.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Crap, the panic outlook is looking a little grim. Let's hope we won't have to split hairs between Asia and Africa for the next few missions. NA and Europe have great buffers for panic. South America is going to be a little dicey...
    We should be close to the month's end, right?

On the other hand, yay! Sergeant Heavy and a MEC is in standby

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld