As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Boys - Garth Ennis

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
So, I'm a huge Preacher fan, and I've been thinking of picking up Ennis' other series, The Boys.

How is it? Is it worth the read?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy it

most people will tell you it's shit but they just like to whine

Sars_Boy on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shit in comparison to Preacher, or just plain shit?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    usually just plain just, but again

it's just ennis

if you enjoyed preacher I imagine you will enjoy this

Sars_Boy on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed Preacher a lot, and I really like the Boys. It's like a twisted, less serious take on some of the stuff that is the core of Stormwatch PHD/Achilles.

devoir on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like The Boys, but never read Preacher

In fact I think Boys is my only Ennis book

Green on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like Preacher but the boys is shit. Just shit.

Bloods End on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Really, I think your enjoyment is contingent on either how much you enjoy, or how tired you are, of Ennis' same four or five tropes: there will be male bonding, pub philosophizing, extreme comedy violence, uncomfortable allusions to homosexuality, and a deep internal conflict between venerating heroes (Western heroes, WWII, superheroes) and wanting to demythologize/anally rape them.

I like Ennis a lot but I have a very high tolerance for his tics. If you don't absolutely love Preacher, Punisher, Hitman and War Stories and want more of the same, then you can comfortably give The Boys a pass. I don't think even the people who like it would argue that it's essential reading.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2007
    The Boys is nothing like Preacher. If that was the only thing getting you to buy it, don't.

I'll try to make my opinions on the series less colored than most.

I dropped the book, today. Issue ten was the last I'll buy, and I only bought this far because I'm a completionist, and ''at the end of the second arc'' seemed like a good place to stop. I feel like I've gotten everything I could from The Boys; my $2.99 could be better spent elsewhere.

Whippy on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed the bit with Tek Knight. I think the whole 'dudes who watch the dudes that save the world' thing is really lame, but I'm a sucker for violence.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just feel like Ennis could be doing something better with his skills than mocking conventional-style superheroes and making crude jokes. It feels very juvenile.

DouglasDanger on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Juvenile is a good way to put it. I don't have a problem with the whole dark, post-modern "superheroes as dysfunctional assholes" thing but the issues I read just felt so immature.

DMAC on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know what the hell this is, but all I can say is, really Ennis? This is the next Preacher? Really?
    the20boys2001020page202fz1.jpg
    a10de54a4a451946e558cf6qc2.jpg
    a3789b62e692299a76413d2jn4.jpg
    the20boys2001020page202jo7.jpg

Munch on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What... what the fuck was that?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's not really fair to compare this to preacher. However if you really, really enjoyed all the issues of Authority featuring Kev, then The Boys might be more up your alley.

sushijerk on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DC's HITMAN series is some of the best stuff from Garth.

His iteration on The Punisher is essentially every normal-esque idea he had for Hitman that he couldn't do because his series got cancelled.

Preacher is excellent, but it is a markedly different text than any of his other material.

Squashua on
    edited September 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I don't know what the hell this is, but all I can say is, really Ennis? This is the next Preacher? Really?

That's unfair to quote as judgement - the entire sequence
    was Tek-Knight's final crazed dream sequence after he got hit in the head by a falling wheelbarrow full of cement while trying to save a mother and child. Probably also had to do with the giant brain tumor he had. Everything in those last few pages from him pushing them out of the way to the final scene was all dream sequence.

Squashua on
    edited September 2007
    Aw man, so it didn't actually happen? That woulda been a hell of a send off for a mediocre super hero.

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Aw man, so it didn't actually happen? That woulda been a hell of a send off for a mediocre super hero.
    Dude was walking down the street, wallowing in his own shame as people pointed to him and laughed.

Then he saw a construction site and noticed a wheelbarrow full of bricks falling, about to hit a woman and child.

He shoves them out of the way, then a meteor shower hits the city, and he goes on to regain his fame per the above images.

The one page that isn't shown is the final one, with Lil Hugie and Butcher reading the paper and commenting how it was best that the wheelbarrow offed "him" {Tekknight} so he didn't die from the massive tumor that was found in his head during the post-mortem autopsy.

The tumor possibly being the thing {after the fact} that forced TekKnight to fuck any hole he saw.

Essentially those page scans were taken completely out of context.

Squashua on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Dude was walking down the street, wallowing in his own shame as people pointed to him and laughed.

Then he saw a construction site and noticed a wheelbarrow full of bricks falling, about to hit a woman and child.

He shoves them out of the way, then a meteor shower hits the city, and he goes on to regain his fame per the above images.

The one page that isn't shown is the final one, with Lil Hugie and Butcher reading the paper and commenting how it was best that the wheelbarrow offed "him" {Tekknight} so he didn't die from the massive tumor that was found in his head during the post-mortem autopsy.

The tumor possibly being the thing {after the fact} that forced TekKnight to fuck any hole he saw.

Essentially those page scans were taken completely out of context.

The point of massive immaturity still stands, out of context or nay.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess I don't understand why he explodes

I mean I figure it's because he you knows but I don't see why that would make him explode in a non-metaphorical way

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited September 2007
    I guess I don't understand why he explodes

He doesn't. The meteor does. Probably because that's what happens when you do THAT to THAT portion of the space meteor.

Squashua on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I may be coming into this series cold, but those scans were like something out of an elementary schooler's Halo slashfic. I would be ashamed to own a copy of that, regardless of the context in which they present it.

Kreutz on
    edited September 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I may be coming into this series cold, but those scans were like something out of an elementary schooler's Halo slashfic. I would be ashamed to own a copy of that, regardless of the context in which they present it.

Actually it's pretty tame for the series. I like to ignore context sometimes too.

Malkor on
  • DarnagDarnag Registered User new member
    edited September 2007

That bit was the funniest thing I've read all week. If there's more like that I'm definitely gonna pick this up.

Darnag on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darnag wrote: »

That bit was the funniest thing I've read all week. If there's more like that I'm definitely gonna pick this up.

I would have found it funny 7, maybe 8, years ago.

All it did for me was make me think "... lame."

PantheraOnca on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In the context of a dream-sequence-return-to-glory it's pretty amusing, especially if the next cut is to the newspaper, but still, the whole Boys series just doesn't seem to have it together.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    Darnag wrote: »

You'll need an adult to purchase it for you

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2007
    Is Garth Ennis really a thirteen year old boy on GameFAQs?

DouglasDanger on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To be fair, Preacher had some weird shit too. Every villain had to be some sort of sexual pervert.

Scooter on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, and it detracted from the story and combined with a lot of other stuff to make the whole thing rate "pretty good" instead of "damn awesome I will buy this for my kids some day."

DouglasDanger on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Starr was pretty hard to take sometimes, swinging so wildly from stone-cold-man-with-a-goal to lolz! Look, a dickhead!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What... what the fuck was that?

That was awesome. Fuckin' hilarious. The laugh I got from reading that is worth $2.99 a month. Hell, it's worth more than that.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    To be fair, Preacher had some weird shit too. Every villain had to be some sort of sexual pervert.

Well, at least Jody wasn't(right?) and he was one of my favorites. But yeah, perversion abounds in the series.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nah. His spelling's too good.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Nah. His spelling's too good.

"fact: punisher is awesome and lok as if real life comik. bubble proceling."

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hell, i dig it.

ManonvonSuperock on