As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Pirate hunters have the best ship names. I'm rolling with max notoriety and just upgrading my fleet as they come after me.

Medusa, Helen o' Troy, mofuckin Devastator.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I just want to say that attacking ships and boarding them is the most exciting thing this series has ever done.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    A ship just killed itself with it's own fire barrels before I could even lay a scratch on it.

Good stuff.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    So I just beat the game last night and I gotta say.
    That scene with Edward looking at the table with all his old pirate friends drinking while Anne Bonnie sang hit me hard. No tears but damn, did that bum me out.

Makes me feel like I should call all my out of touch friends to hang out again.

• eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Pirate hunters have the best ship names. I'm rolling with max notoriety and just upgrading my fleet as they come after me.

Don't forget Old Scratch. That one beats them all.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Took down my first fort.

MORTAR! Mortar everything.

So I took out a fort in the Western side of the map, but I was dodging a water spout the entire time! I think one turret or so was killed by the twister though. As soon as I took out the last of the turrets, the water spout died and the skies cleared.
    Very weird. Seemed like a bug. So freaking exciting! I was so excited about pulling that off.

This happened to me. I have footage of it too. Not that I have the time to actually encode and upload it what with playing all my free time. :)

I think I did this same fort as well. It was in a Medium difficulty zone, yeah? After dying 3 times to the damn spouts, and noticing the storm seemed to rise up the instant I got near the fort, I concluded it must have been intentional, if handled a little weirdly. Fuck those spouts though.

Fort commander had a Piece of Eden that let him control the weather. That's the story I'm sticking with.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Wat

Do they only reveal optional objectives AFTER you've completed the mission already?

Well that is incredibly lame.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Wat

Do they only reveal optional objectives AFTER you've completed the mission already?

No, they show them for a split second and then you can check them during the memory by pressing start.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No that was not the case for when I did it?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wat

No, they show them for a split second and then you can check them during the memory by pressing start.

And every time you reload after a death

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There has been a mission or two where I didn't notice the popup. But generally they do seem a hell of a lot easier to see than in III. Not to mention that they're clearly displayed if you hit start, versus being up in the corner on the damn map screen in III.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    My Uplay id: darunia106 isn't in the op @MorningLord.

EDIT: Wait it is never mind I'm the dumb.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnNUP-XIxs&feature=youtu.be

I'm thinking of sticking this in the op as a representation of the piratical nature of our regular dealings within this game.

Who says Aye?

It can go 1080p.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Nicest things about optional objectives, none of them seemed to want you to do something regodamndiculous like avoid bumping into people during a chase sequence!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I feel like they stick in optional objectives to teach you how the game works. In that case, when you lock onto an enemy in with the r1 button and zoomed in a bit, you got much better strafing and turning movement and could dance around a headless chicken without touching it.
    I learnt to weave around the city without touching anything at all, in a game where people continuously complained about never being able to control very well. This problem did not apply to me. I caught the most infamous chase sequence on the first try in less than thirty seconds.

In response to this they removed this button and put some of the strafing ability onto a light touch to the left or right instead, but unfortunately the full ability to turn on a dime and dance around tiny objects is now gone. I used to be able to lose enemy guards in under 30 seconds, guaranteed, just by knowing the city and being able to zip through all the back alleys without issue by using that ability. I miss it.

No I'm not defending the objective. I just got sidetracked out of my explanation into reminiscence. Okay. That's all. Flashbacks of high speed chases.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    In Black Flag, I rarely try to outrun guards.

I just kill them.

Yeah seriously, there was actually a mission late in the game that you couldn't just do that and I was sad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2013
    Played a little bit more of sequence 2. Loving it right now. Unlike AC III this game doesn't need 6 FUCKING SEQUENCES to get through the tutorial.

Question: Are item combo kills still in? I remember that you could, after establishing a killstreak, hold Y to perform a double kill, e.g. stab an enemy and shoot a different one at the same tyme. I appear to have trouble pulling this off now...

Also

SEQUENCE 2 SPOILER
    I *love* that they're trying something new for their characters/intros. With AC III it was Haytham and the revelation that he was a Templar. Here, Kenway doesn't seem to have any quarrel with either Templars or Assassins, he's just out for himself. I'm convinced he might've actually been able to stay amidst the former faction undetected had he not gone for the sage himself. On the other hand, his selfishness and to this moment lack of other motivations pulls me out of the story, it's not something I can relate to.

So far, connor is still by far my favorite protagonist, we'll see if Edward turns around.

Oh, also

The game looks really neat. It looks good, though not special generally, but rain and water effects are absolutely superb! And the soundtrack continues the tradition of Assassin's Creed games featuring some of my favorite tracks.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    sliver911 wrote: »
    I forget who mentioned D3DOVERIDER to help with the FPS issues, but wow... THANK YOU!

I went from "I hate this game and I want to break my computer monitor over my chair and then push my chair through a wall"

TO:

"Yeahhh....Pirates!"

Sick game, absolutely the best in the series IMO!

That was me. It works for me but I get a windows error noise when I start Black Flag when running D3DOverrider but nothing seems amiss so...

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    eahenryii wrote: »

I haven't found Old Scratch yet, but I do have Lotus Eater.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited November 2013
    Well ya had yer chance to vote me hearties so I'ma gonna chuck it in the brig I mean op now.

Morninglord on
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Bringing up Ubisoft preying on my aquaphobia from earlier, apparently theres a creepy octopus easter egg in AC2 that I thank god I missed the first time I played it.

Frickin ocean, man. Some scary shit going on down there.

It's absolutely terrifying too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coi5U18gbQI

Watch from 1:14

At some point, not sure when I've got a really busy weekend, I need to rewrite the description. The best damn game I've played all year has got a total of one line in the description and this makes me sad. It needs a makeover.

Ha thats great.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2013
    ALSO did you guys know that Drunken Sailor originated in the early 19th century and was not actually sung during the time period of the game? I don't give a damn that it's an inaccuracy, of course it's going to have that song, it's a bloody pirate game.
    It's just interesting.

Morninglord on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Lotus Eater? That's not scary. The Lotus Eaters were a bunch of old (immortal?) dudes who sat around eating petals all day. The island was the thing with real teeth.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think they actually removed some things you can do in combat, which I don't really understand. I can't seem to do the item double kill combo thing either.

I also miss having a dagger, those were fun. Other than that, best AC yet.

Are you the magic man?
    Enlong wrote: »

Lotus Eater? That's not scary. The Lotus Eaters were a bunch of old (immortal?) dudes who sat around eating petals all day. The island was the thing with real teeth.

Well I didn't say they were scary names.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    The biggest complaint I have with the game is the swords. I don't know what it is about them, but apart from a few animations Edward generally just looks like he's waving some sticks around and if they touch you you're dead. There's no weight or strength behind a lot of his attacks. I also get no sound effects for maybe 10% of his attacks, which adds to it.

He's got absolutely nothing on Ezio with a dagger, which had some really brutal animations, and made the combat feel much more visceral and intense.

The biggest complaint I have with the game is the swords. I don't know what it is about them, but apart from a few animations Edward generally just looks like he's waving some sticks around and if they touch you you're dead. There's no weight or strength behind a lot of his attacks. I also get no sound effects for maybe 10% of his attacks, which adds to it.

He's got absolutely nothing on Ezio with a dagger, which had some really brutal animations, and made the combat feel much more visceral and intense.

I've felt like this since AC II. The weight/impulse interaction has always been halfway detached from reality. Not that I'm complaining, just stating a fact.

steam_sig.png

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Yeah I think they actually removed some things you can do in combat, which I don't really understand. I can't seem to do the item double kill combo thing either.

You get a knife... when diving.. I had it once. I threw it at someone and I've never seen it again since.

You can take exactly one knife at a time by disarming those quick knife guards, the ones with the white powdered wigs and ponytails.

Double counters are out now, but there are some particularly brutal environmental/weapon specific counters still in. One battle I countered with my gun by shoving it in my target's mouth, spinning him around in front of another guy, and shooting both with one shot. I've also seen several variations where you can jump off a wall or railing to get extra momentum for a windmill punch.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I'm talking about the dagger melee weapon, not throwing knives.

Anyway, yeah. Don't know why they downgraded combat so much from AC3. An expansive combat system was the biggest thing AC3 had going for it.

Are you the magic man?
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You can add me to the Uplay friends list, Cabezone

edited November 2013

You can still do pistol double kills. Instead of pressing towards the next enemy and hitting melee, press towards them and hold down the y/triangle button instead. He will do a double pistol kill. I haven't unlocked rope yet so I don't know if those are still in, but I don't see why not.

What I miss is the double kill animations when two people attack you at once. They seem to have removed two people attacking you at the same time. I liked those kills. They were spectacular.

You can steal a dagger off agiles and throw it, but you can't use daggers. I think that is probably because ac3's daggers were actually tomahawk animations (he would use the dagger the wrong way around, but the right way for a tomahawk, in quite a few), so they would have to reanimate all of them. Considering everything else in the game...I can see why they didn't bother.

I like all of Edwards double sword kill animations. I, uh, yeah no I'm afraid that considering how often he sticks those things in places swords should not go I have absolutely no idea what could possibly be going through your head to not consider those "brutal".

As for not having weight...curved swords cut. They aren't clubs. You slash. Altair and Ezio's swords were...well...medieval style longswords. More clubs than blades. You had to really hack them in there to kill people. Sailors also didn't wear heavy metal armor (glub glub) so you didn't need to pierce through anything or put any force into it. You slash their bleedy points and stab the soft bits. People are horrendously fragile when a weapon is actually good at cutting and they aren't covered in metal.
    They're supposed to be fast and smooth animations. It means they did their homework. It makes sense. It feels right.

Gameplay mechanic information regarding the stats on swords. The combo number in ac3 was a literal count of how many attacks you had to do to get a killing animation, ie (2 = 2 strike, then kill animation). In this game they've standardized it so higher is "better" ie less hits before the kill animation.
    As a result the scottish broadswords, with their combo of 5, are ridiculously strong early game weapons you can get by doing some exploration and discovering social events, like chests, royal convoys, white whales and so on. Only takes about 5? I think? I can't remember.
    They make a biiiig difference. I'm using them in the video I posted. They have faster animations too.

That reminds me: the environmental kills are a different system from the normal sword kills. If you fight with your opponents back to an environmental obstacle or with a drop at their back, you can kill them faster. You don't have to hack hack hack hack you just shoulder check them straight off the edge or boot them over the barrel. So if you see someone with their back to an environmental obstacle or drop attack them first and you'll clear some space faster. Been there since ac3.

Morninglord on

You can still do pistol double kills. Instead of pressing towards the next enemy and hitting melee, press towards them and hold down the y/triangle button instead. He will do a double pistol kill. I haven't unlocked rope yet so I don't know if those are still in, but I don't see why not.

What I miss is the double kill animations when two people attack you at once. They seem to have removed two people attacking you at the same time. I liked those kills. They were spectacular.

You can steal a dagger off agiles and throw it, but you can't use daggers. I think that is probably because ac3's daggers were actually tomahawk animations (he would use the dagger the wrong way around, but the right way for a tomahawk, in quite a few), so they would have to reanimate all of them. Considering everything else in the game...I can see why they didn't bother.

I like all of Edwards double sword kill animations. I, uh, yeah no I'm afraid that considering how often he sticks those things in places swords should not go I have absolutely no idea what could possibly be going through your head to not consider those "brutal".

As for not having weight...curved swords cut. They aren't clubs. You slash. Altair and Ezio's swords were...well...medieval style longswords. More clubs than blades. You had to really hack them in there to kill people. Sailors also didn't wear heavy metal armor (glub glub) so you didn't need to pierce through anything or put any force into it. You slash their bleedy points and stab the soft bits. People are horrendously fragile when a weapon is actually good at cutting and they aren't covered in metal.
    They're supposed to be fast and smooth animations. It means they did their homework. It makes sense. It feels right.

Gameplay mechanic information regarding the stats on swords. The combo number in ac3 was a literal count of how many attacks you had to do to get a killing animation, ie (2 = 2 strike, then kill animation). In this game they've standardized it so higher is "better" ie less hits before the kill animation.
    As a result the scottish broadswords, with their combo of 5, are ridiculously strong early game weapons you can get by doing some exploration and discovering social events, like chests, royal convoys, white whales and so on. Only takes about 5? I think? I can't remember.
    They make a biiiig difference. I'm using them in the video I posted. They have faster animations too.

That reminds me: the environmental kills are a different system from the normal sword kills. If you fight with your opponents back to an environmental obstacle or with a drop at their back, you can kill them faster. You don't have to hack hack hack hack you just shoulder check them straight off the edge or boot them over the barrel. So if you see someone with their back to an environmental obstacle or drop attack them first and you'll clear some space faster. Been there since ac3.

aye, that's what I was doing because that's how you do it in AC3, but he wasn't doing it. I'll try some more.

also, the "counter two people at once" double kill is still in, it's just more rare. there just aren't very many opportunities to get in massive on foot battles like there were in AC3.

Are you the magic man?
    edited November 2013

aye, that's what I was doing because that's how you do it in AC3, but he wasn't doing it. I'll try some more.

also, the "counter two people at once" double kill is still in, it's just more rare. there just aren't very many opportunities to get in massive on foot battles like there were in AC3.

I did it on board a ship and it caught me by surprise. I'd tried it before on a ship and it didn't work. I'm glad the double counter is still in.

Btw guys you can still use heavy weapons and rifles if you disarm the enemy. You just can't keep them anymore.
    You can use single swords too if you pick them up off the ground.

He also has some new and particularly wurgh hidden blade kill animations. And I thought Connors were nasty. He's got nothing on grandpappy.

I'm up to like, sequence 5? My jackdaw has every upgrade except elite, my fleet is 3/4 maxed out and stuffed with man o wars and frigates and I've got four pistol holsters and three health upgrades.

Even though my time is limited, I still refuse to use the naval fast travel. Instead of hunting metal ships, now I hunt tasty rum and sugar ships, for money. Also gems.

I've got 50 000 now.

It's not enough. I need so much money my boots overflow. Edward and I are perfectly synched in that respect.

The last city I was in was havana. I haven't been back to one since then. Everytime I see a ? close by I meander over to it, getting sidetracked by tasty prizes as I go, then clean it out 100%.

Oh yeah and if you see a floating badly damaged ship without any goods visible, that's a timed treasure chest. You swim over to it and you'll see a bunch of goods chests and dead bodies lying around. You've got under a minute to grab as much as you can and get out. The bodies help you restock personal ammo like smokebombs, pistols etc. The chests mostly have x2 or x3 of a good, except one or two which will have a lot more.

Just...make sure you get clear before the timer hits 0. Let's just say that if you don't...well...Edward always did.

You can probably tell but I'm fucking obsessed about this game like I have with no other AC game. Close to Prototype levels here. I've completely forgotten every other game I was playing at the time. They're all suddenly unimportant. Pale gray shadows in the background of my memory.

Morninglord on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Saw a screencap of Edward in a fantastic outfit after finding myself rather disappointed by the in-game ones I've found so far... and apparently it's the Deluxe-only one.

Fucking oath.

edited November 2013
    I was looking up the outfits and some of them have special effects.
    Stealth outfit

Gotten by completing half of Assassin missions.
    Effect: Makes you harder to detect when stealthing (enemies take longer to fill up their indicators and need to be closer to see you)

Mayan outfit

Gotten by finishing the mayan collectible sidequest
    Effect: Makes you immune to bullets (zero damage, 100% immunity)
    Note: Holy shit!

Hunter outfit

Gotten through crafting.
    Effect: Makes it harder for animals to detect you, basically animal stealth.

Templar Outfit

Gotten by completing the 5 templar keys sidequest at your home cove.

Effect: Improved resistance to enemy attacks.

Allow me to reiterate: Holy shit at the Mayan outfit.

I think I'm.

I think I'm going to finish that one as let us say an extremely high priority. Bullets hurt so much guys. So much.

Morninglord on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    You can still double melee kill from surprise but that's it.

Cabezone on