As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcycle/Moped

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
I live on the edge of Abilene, TX and the work commute is about 7 miles with hardly any traffic. It feels like I'm wasting gas driving my car to and fro every day with just myself in it. I know how to ride a motorcycle but it has been years, and I never did it on 70 MPH roads. I always wore a helmet and other protective gear.

Would it be worth my time and money to look into a motorcycle for this short drive? Or would it be better to look into mopeds? I would welcome suggestions for either one. I'm wanting to keep it relatively cheap, with good gas mileage and it doesn't need to be flashy.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also. I need to know what the process is for getting licensed, if anybody has a good informative site on doing so.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I don't know how Texas laws work, but in the states I've lived in, you need to get a "M" certification attached to your driver's license (you'll get a new license with "M" stamped on it). The process is to walk into your registry of motor vehicles, take a written test, and you'll get a 1 year learner's permit to ride a motorcycle. Sometime during that year, to upgrade to the "M" certification, you have to schedule a driving test, taken on your own motorcycle. Alternately, you can sign up for a motorcycle class, and your driving test is waived.
    VStar_650_Classic.jpg
    My current bike is a 2007 Yamaha VStar 650 (bought used in 2010 for about $4k), which easily handles highway speeds and gets 50 mpg. However, I did notice it being sluggish on mountain roads, so I've been tempted to upgrade to a 950cc. Like most cruisers, it does not turn all that well (I've hit my pedals when turning hard), but the lean over riding position of sport bikes annoys me.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Texas does require the M class license. Thanks for the response!

And yeah, I'd prefer a cruiser over a crotch rocket unless the gas mileage is just so good on one in particular.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    One of the most inexpensive and fuel-efficient motorcycles out there is the Kawasaki Ninja 250.

However, if you think you'll be saving a lot of money with even this, you might want to read the article.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    It's not about saving money so much as not using so much fossil fuel.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    If you're not getting on the freeway a scooter would do the trick. You can get one for a couple hundred bucks and in most states you don't need a special permit if the engine is under 50 ccs (not sure about Texas). I had a little 49cc in college that could get up to about 50 on flat land. Bought it for $400 and sold it for $450 two years later. Much dorkier than a motorcycle but worth thinking about if it's just for a commute.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Dorky isn't really an issue, I'm not the kinda guy who will look awesome even on a rad motorcycle. Any particular brand you would recommend? The road leading out to work is a single-lane, 70 MPH speed limit highway though.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    A 250cc bike or moped will just barely hit 70 mph. Anything smaller does not handle highway speeds.

However, I would suggest upping to at least a 500cc bike/moped, because just barely hitting 70 mph is dangerous on a bike. You really need the ability to accelerate faster than traffic in order to feel safe. Even if you don't normally speed, you feel claustrophobic around cars when riding, so you end up passing, just to find spots where you are clear on all sides.

Also, windshield. Holy cow, I will never again live without a windshield.

Your low maintenance bikes are Japanese: Honda and Yamaha. Buy a used one with low miles during the fall/winter, when people are trying to dump their bikes for cheap.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    I used to own a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and for what you describe, I would not recommend it. It was a fantastic bike, but if you're regularly doing 70mph (~110kph) the bike will be screaming and you'll have no power reserve if you want to accelerate further, exactly as hsu says above. But not just that, bigger bikes are heavier and handle wind and turbulence better at speed as well, so will actually be easier to ride on the highway.

So I agree with him. If you're getting a sport bike, get a 500-650cc. If you're not very experienced I wouldn't go higher than that as sport bikes become exponentially more mental above that :). If you're getting a cruiser get at least a 650, and with cruisers you can really go up to whatever you want.

I would not recommend a scooter/moped at all for your purpose.

• Options
    So clearly a motorcycle is the way to go here. If the Ninja isn't going to work, can you recommend a crotch rocket and a cruiser that would?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you can get your hands on something like this: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/sport/14-xj6nl

you'll be much better off than with a 250cc/300cc racer-styled bike.
    • Much more comfortable riding position
    • Much more power and torque
    • A lot easier to handle
    • More stable, yet
    • Still goes around corners like crazy
    • It's much more likely to be a bike you keep rather than trade in 12 months

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Look into the following for the US:
    Used SV650S (standard, has windscreen but no lower plastics, upright riding position compared to cruiser, less aggressive than crotch rocket)
    V-Strom
    Kawasaki Versys
    Honda CB500F
    etc.

Standards are good, as they neither have the high weight/low mpg of a cruiser or the plastics/obnoxious insurance of a crotch rocket.

I have a SV650S from about 5 years back, and it gets 40+MPG (never measured it) and can blow the doors off most sports cars.

• Options
    I can ride a standard, in fact that's actually where I started understanding a stick shift, so that's not a concern.

Actually I was unaware that automatic motorcycles were a thing.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Are maxi scooters a thing in the US?

The likes of the Honda Silver Wing or Suzuki Burgman. Big (600cc), automatic, with decent weather protection, usually some enclosed storage under the seat (50 litres for the Burgman 650), economical, and well up to a motorway commute.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I recently did almost this exact thing, and at first I thought I'd want to go with a scooter with a big engine instead of a motorcycle to keep down costs.

I then found that a used motorcycle was waaaaaaaay cheaper than a scooter with a comparable engine.

Also I ended up going with a 250cc, and when I have to go on the highway at 100-115kph it's super uncomfortable... I also recommend going 350cc or bigger.

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Used motorcycle is always going to be cheaper then a equally powerful scooter. Just remember that tires/oil changes/insurance. Gear is expensive and expires. When I had my Harley it was the consumables that always got me. The ninja 300 that is out now is a really good started bike, and the modern CBR250RR will keep up with freeway traffic. Though I would not commute longer then 20 miles one way on one.

Really want to save oil a bicycle will do it and 7 miles is not terrible if you can find a pass to the office easy enough.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    I can ride a standard, in fact that's actually where I started understanding a stick shift, so that's not a concern.

Actually I was unaware that automatic motorcycles were a thing.

He's talking about "standard" motorcycles, which is a class of bike (not referring to the transmission). There are a few bikes without a clutch, most scooters I think, but that's not what we're talking about.

CB750 is the old school classic, and now Honda has a whole line of 500s that are right up your alley. Something like this is what he recommended:

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb500f.aspx

If you could find an old triumph bonneville that would be lovely as well.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, and another question!

Can one add a sidecar to a cruiser, or does such a thing need to already be attached at the point of sale?

• Options
    Oh, and another question!

Can one add a sidecar to a cruiser, or does such a thing need to already be attached at the point of sale?

Sidecars change the riding characteristics of the bike. Its like learning to operate a completely different animal. Plus big cash.

But for reference you can add a sidecar to anything with enough money, but finding something like a ural with a sidecar is the way to go on the cheaper side. Your talking big money above that for anything modern.

• Options
    Okay, just checking. I didn't know if it was even possible, in case the wife wants to ride with me a couple years down the road or whatever.

• Options
    Okay, just checking. I didn't know if it was even possible, in case the wife wants to ride with me a couple years down the road or whatever.

If that comes around and you want a comfy bike for both, just buy a touring bike. Sidecars basically make it impossible to turn, from what I've heard.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

If that comes around and you want a comfy bike for both, just buy a touring bike. Sidecars basically make it impossible to turn, from what I've heard.

If that were true, then how do all the people that ride outfits (motorcycle with sidecar) ever get home?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

If that were true, then how do all the people that ride outfits (motorcycle with sidecar) ever get home?

Slowly is how they get home, Its a big old weight to have out on one side of the bike. Just weird feeling. Touring bike for sure if you have a passenger but honestly 12-18 months on a bike before you even think about having someone ride with you.

A touring bike can weigh as much as 900lb's and it is not something that you want to buy as your first bike. I have a affinity for the 883 sportster as a first bike. They hold value, are not crazy fast but quick enough to get out of trouble and are as reliable as gravity.

• Options
    A Harley, reliable?

I'll be right back, I just laughed out both of my lungs and must make haste to the emergency room.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yea, please get a Harley if you like putting a quart of oil in at every fill up.

Also, my first street bike was a Triumph Daytona 675. Amazing motorcycle if you want a crotch rocket, but they are not cheap.

Alternatively, I now own an Aprilla Shiver 750. It's a Italian bike, with a straight up riding style and you can get a windshield for it. I bought it brand new, in 2012, for 7020$ out the door. You should be able to get a better deal in Texas, because AF1 racing is based in Texas and they sell motorcycles on the cheap and are an amazing group of guys.

I would recommend the Aprillia over all the cruisers, because it turns well is decently fast and I still get 50-60 mpg.

Look up AF1 racing and call them and tell them what you want in a moped/motorcycle and they will set you straight.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    A Harley, reliable?

I'll be right back, I just laughed out both of my lungs and must make haste to the emergency room.

Compared to the Ducati I had before that it was a paragon of reliability.

• Options
    A Harley, reliable?

That's like comparing the reliability of Fiat to British cars. Either way, you lose.

• Options
    A Harley, reliable?

How old was the Ducati?

Because yeah, old Duke were about as reliable as an old Ferrari, that is to say you'd spend more time in the workshop than on the road. Ducati have fixed that, though.

Harley haven't.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    A Harley, reliable?

How old was the Ducati?

Because yeah, old Duke were about as reliable as an old Ferrari, that is to say you'd spend more time in the workshop than on the road. Ducati have fixed that, though.

Harley haven't.

750ss so really bad. I have a history of buying really terrible, but beautiful, but horrible things. One day if I have enough liquor I will show you the service costs on my 330gt.

stormbringer on
  • Options
    Waaaait, do you mean this:

Replica-Green-frame-Ducati-750-SS-by-Deus-Ex-Machina1.jpg

or this:

Ducati%20750SS%2093.jpg

Either way I hate you, but if you mean the first bike, then I double hate you.