As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD THREAD: Don't post 'til you see the whites of their Steam sales!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It's the 15th Anniversary of Half-Life Giveaway Extravaganza!

Well, extravaganza may be too strong. Giveaway Jubilee? Giveaway Shindig? Whatever, I'm giving away copies of Half-Life in celebration. Everybody should get a chance to try these games, and now is as good as ever, so here we go!

This first set is open to anyone in the general PA group! Fill in the holes of your Half-Life collection!
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

This last one is for the whole kit 'n kaboodle, open specifically to the Adventure Time group!
    signature.png

These are all open for a week. Good luck to anyone who enters!

Last day; Ends in about 15 17 hours.

EDIT: Had to add two hours because I can't math today, apparently.

Undead Scottsman on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    For any of the card fiends out there, I can't take advantage because I'm already a level 5, but Stealth Bastard Deluxe's booster packs are way out of proportion for the cost of cards.

Ugh, I got jury duty on Wednesday; I hope I don't miss any time sensitive sale participation stuff.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Ugh, I got jury duty on Wednesday; I hope I don't miss any time sensitive sale participation stuff.

/cue @Undead Scottsman getting called for a complicated, time-consuming, media-circus of a case and being sequestered until January...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Guys I've started crafting badges and it's really addictive and I'm kind of worried and I feel like starting to reinstall stuff just to idle in it just to get cards is maybe pushing it too far but I'll probably do it anyway.

camo_sig2.png
    Luchaire wrote: »

/cue @Undead Scottsman getting called for a complicated, time-consuming, media-circus of a case and being sequestered until January...

It's grand jury, thankfully.

I just tells them to send it to trial or not.

Plus I get paid at my hourly wage 'cause I work for the State!

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person who got to the swamps and just had a ball. It's where the combat system clicked for me, for one thing. And the time I spent in the swamp really paid off in spades with some later combat encounters since I had a solid understanding of the combat mechanics. It's where I really learned to use signs and styles together effectively.

First time I played the game I had a decent amount of fun in the swamp. Unfortunately sometime in Act 3 my data got deleted, and since then I've been trying to work myself up to getting back there, but I have not really been able to get myself through the swamp a second time. I have The Witcher 2, and have been tempted to just fire it up, but I enjoyed what I played of the first one and want to get myself back to Act 3 sometime.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I'm convinced that BrocksMullet only added me to the friends list so he could taunt me by launching papers please while im on and watching that notification pop up! Sale can't get here soon enough!

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I've tried Witcher 2 twice now and I just can't get into it. I believe I just barely got out of the prologue and stopped... the combat just feels so damn janky.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I've tried Witcher 2 twice now and I just can't get into it. I believe I just barely got out of the prologue and stopped... the combat just feels so damn janky.
    There is a complete combat overhaul mod done by one of the devs in their off time that might have your name written on it.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Good news! I fixed my input lag issues with Pinball.
    Now HB steals more of my money AND I get to humiliate myself on the leader boards!

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    I'm convinced that BrocksMullet only added me to the friends list so he could taunt me by launching papers please while im on and watching that notification pop up! Sale can't get here soon enough!

Yes.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Good news! I fixed my input lag issues with Pinball.
    Now HB steals more of my money AND I get to humiliate myself on the leader boards!

How did you fix the input lag? I have that on one of my computers but it's the computer that I think should have 0 lag. Are you talking about Pinball FX2?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    My niece has disappeared. My friend from Hirsk is dead, because of my butterfingers. But, I've managed to keep my other friend out of jail. My son drew me a picture with his very expensive crayons. I try to do what is right. I smile when I can reject someone quickly. I go to bed, and don't know if I should wake up.

Papers, Please.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Witcher 1 begins. I have completed the prologue and am fearful.

There is an alchemy system. This game may well destroy me.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Steam has been tracking game time for five years. If you haven't played a game in that time, I think it's fair that you have to revisit it for a bit before writing a review of it.

The problem I have with Steam time tracking is that it doesn't work a lot. I've beaten Borderlands and had a level 60-something Roland and Steam thinks I've only played it for six hours. There are a ton of games in my library that I've played for long periods of time that Steam thinks I haven't, so while I'll be able to write reviews for them, I'm not sure how much weight they'll carry with people if they read something I wrote and then look on my profile and see that I've only "played" it for 45 minutes.

Looking at the info though, I saw this:

qpLYzEQ.png

Oh, so developers will be able to see reviews, that's cool. I guess they'll be able to view reviews from people directly, which will WAAAIT A SECOND

r6nTRwT.png

Oh man, now I kinda feel bad.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Agarest was one of two games I bought with my PS3, though it took me about three years to actually get around to playing it. It's fairly popular in Japan, with at least two sequels (though it's kinda niche).

I remember it being a fairly solid SRPG. It can get pretty hard at the end, especially if you go after all the optional stuff. I don't know if I'd say that there's a dating sim tacked on. The romance elements aren't really that mechanically developed. Not much beyond the stuff in Bioware games, as I recall. There is plenty of fanservice and my general impression was that it was essentially a hentai game without any sex in it. That sounds worse than it is, though, since there are definitely hentai games that have solid gameplay.

cckerberos.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

Oh, so developers will be able to see reviews, that's cool. I guess they'll be able to view reviews from people directly, which will WAAAIT A SECOND

No, they are the ones that should feel bad....

LostNinja on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular

I have played both Witcher 1 and 2, so I think I can give a pretty good idea of both.

Witcher 1 - The story in this game is rather good, but that is about it. The combat and pacing is poor. Most people burn out after a few chapters and just aren't sure why. The slog that is the swamp and the city just seem to kill people's enthusiasm.

Witcher 2 - This game cleans up most of the problems in 1. The story can still be a bit of a slog, but it is much better than before. Also, if you are going to start this game please do not let pride fuck with you. Just set it to easy, there is no shame in that. The normal/advanced difficulty are for your second or third playthrough. And you will want to play through this again due to the number of big game changing decisions you can make.

Oh, but you can bone more chicks in Witcher 1. So that is a plus.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    So, uh

Mount & Blade has a pretty big manual, you guys

"Big" as in 23MB.

• BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Here are the winners!

signature.png
    @BigDes

signature.png
    @Taramoor

signature.png
    @Descendant X

Congrats, everyone! Keys have been emailed. Enjoy your games!

• MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    To The Moon is now out of the backlog. I know you all warned me of The Feels™ but I'm not sure I was truly prepared.
    It didn't hit squarely home, but damn close.

Tomorrow I need to either work on or start up another game that does not hit me in The Feels™, so perhaps it's back to Borderlands or Payday...or maybe some achievement hunting in Deadpool or something. All I know is, it's holiday time and I'd like to dodge The Feels™ for the next week or so.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Steam has been tracking game time for five years. If you haven't played a game in that time, I think it's fair that you have to revisit it for a bit before writing a review of it.

The problem I have with Steam time tracking is that it doesn't work a lot. I've beaten Borderlands and had a level 60-something Roland and Steam thinks I've only played it for six hours. There are a ton of games in my library that I've played for long periods of time that Steam thinks I haven't, so while I'll be able to write reviews for them, I'm not sure how much weight they'll carry with people if they read something I wrote and then look on my profile and see that I've only "played" it for 45 minutes.

Looking at the info though, I saw this:

qpLYzEQ.png

r6nTRwT.png

Fortunately, the current top reviews are pretty hilarious.

TjkX9Xo.png

Berylline wrote: »
    Here are the winners!

signature.png
    @Taramoor

Thanks muchly for this @Berylline

Commands will be Conquered.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Ed Gruberman

Yeah FX2. I have an nvidia card and created custom 3D Settings for the game. Specifically setting the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1. There's a similar fix for radeon but the setting is called something else. Send me a ping if you need a hand.

Edit: The ATI setting appears to be "Flip Queue"

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    So Beatbuddy added cards shortly before I got home from work, and I appear to have been the fifth person to get card drops and put them up online.

From normal cards (NOT foils), I just made around $2.50. I'd underlisted each of the current cheapest cards by 1 cent.

....and I totally could have listed the cards for more, since it was apparently one person buying up everything to get to a level 5 badge. There's only 3 cards left in the market, TOTAL.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    A great big steaming pile of thanks to @Berylline for the Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box!

Now I just need to figure out why she has a picture of my wife's rabbit as her avatar.

...Laura? Is that you?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    A great big steaming pile of thanks to @Berylline for the Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box!

Now I just need to figure out why she has a picture of my wife's rabbit as her avatar.

...Laura? Is that you?

Nope, no Lauras here! The bunny in my avatar is Benji, one of mine. He is ridiculously sweet in addition to being ridiculously cute. <3 I hope that his twin at your house is equally awesome!

And to keep this somewhat thread-related, I took the plunge on the Pinball bundle. I haven't tried it out yet, but I plan to do so soon, so any pinball players can feel free to add me! (...especially if you want someone else to beat.)

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    There is a complete combat overhaul mod done by one of the devs in their off time that might have your name written on it.
    I looked into this, and at least the first major topic I found discussing it from 5 months ago, the consensus seemed to be that it was crap.

However, this did get me to look into tips for the game's combat and that might've helped some. I wasn't using Quen at all as I remember, mostly because of the drawback of not regenning Vigor while it's up I think. I also found a rather interesting sounding Alchemy/Swordsman build based around maxing mutagen use. Not totally sure that I should go that route because it forgoes things like the dodge roll enhancements and such that many people seem to think is really useful for mobility in combat, but it sounds interesting anyway.
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

I have played both Witcher 1 and 2, so I think I can give a pretty good idea of both.

Witcher 1 - The story in this game is rather good, but that is about it. The combat and pacing is poor. Most people burn out after a few chapters and just aren't sure why. The slog that is the swamp and the city just seem to kill people's enthusiasm.

Witcher 2 - This game cleans up most of the problems in 1. The story can still be a bit of a slog, but it is much better than before. Also, if you are going to start this game please do not let pride fuck with you. Just set it to easy, there is no shame in that. The normal/advanced difficulty are for your second or third playthrough. And you will want to play through this again due to the number of big game changing decisions you can make.

Oh, but you can bone more chicks in Witcher 1. So that is a plus.

I also have Witcher 1, never even started it.

The reason I don't really want to go on Easy in 2 is it's supposed to be way *too* easy, and as it is, almost universally people say the game gets really really easy once you actually start unlocking abilities and getting equipment upgrades, so I'd just need to get to that point.

Anyway, I may be trying the game again here soon.

• Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    I played pinball tonight until my hands were (and still are) sore. I use an XBox controller to play the game, kinda gives it that flipper feel. Seems to have helped with my timing on some of the tables. Earth Defense really clicked for me, and I take back most of what I said about V-12, just takes some board knowledge to score points.

The left side drain on V-12 is ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT though, my god I am glad I don't break my own stuff when I get frustrated; I would be buying a new controller tomorrow for sure.

I added all the tables I don't have to my wishlist; come on big sales! send me to pinball heaven!

steam_sig.png
    Did the first little bit of Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav while it was dropping cards.

The game is really quite nice to look at and the puzzles up to that point weren't too moon-logicish, but for some reason it runs like ass on this machine. I'm going to have to table it until a later date.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I slogged through Witcher 1 when it was still horribly bug ridden and had terrible terrible load times. I dreaded ever changing screens. Going into a house and coming back out again took forever. But at the time it had a refreshing uniqueness to it, and the grey area story telling and world building were all compelling enough to keep me moving forward in it. I also like how you can research and put together the right tools/weapons to deal with monsters. Yes the ladies you've banged collectible cards were just odd/bad form. The witch card is horrifying. I also enjoyed Witcher 2 but for some reason never finished it. It's on the list of games I need to restart and play all the way through. Especially before the 3rd comes along.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    I played pinball tonight until my hands were (and still are) sore. I use an XBox controller to play the game, kinda gives it that flipper feel. Seems to have helped with my timing on some of the tables. Earth Defense really clicked for me, and I take back most of what I said about V-12, just takes some board knowledge to score points.

The left side drain on V-12 is ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT though, my god I am glad I don't break my own stuff when I get frustrated; I would be buying a new controller tomorrow for sure.

I added all the tables I don't have to my wishlist; come on big sales! send me to pinball heaven!
    If you have not done so already, remap the flippers to the left and right bumper. Then move the manual ball launch to the right trigger.
    doing so made the game a lot more responsive for me.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So, uh

"Big" as in 23MB.

There's a manual?*

*Roycesraphim discovered Mount and Blade through these forums, created several threads, and played through the alphas, marvelling at how one band of black knights could liberate everything on the overworld and create a warband of 800 people. and yet, he has not purchased the fire and steel expansion pack and has never played online against anyone. He was also a rather large cunt in one of the threads and had his wings clipped by someone much wiser.

RoyceSraphim on
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So I made a contentious decision to buy the Rocksmith cable, a rip-off that it is, and figured I could cut out the middleman of buying the $10 transfer data to Steam, of which offsets the initial price difference.
    But lo and behold, Amazon puts out both cable and the game on Black Friday deals and I am out of a potential $20 dollars!

I haven't purchased the game yet since the cable has yet to arrive.

Steam... baby. You're our favorite in the family. Don't you dare disappoint me this week. ; )

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
    Nothing quite as annoying as playing through a Defense Grid level once to beat and get an idea, and then a second time to go for the gold medal, and ending up missing the needed score by less than 100 points.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I must be a masochist because right now it's down to Boba Fett, Tesla or V12 for favorite FX2 table. I just love the hell out of those three tables.

@Edglar Vess yeah that left side drain is a total bastard until you figure out what it's for. Then you'll be freaking out as you try to drain it and can't...

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So, uh

"Big" as in 23MB.

There's a manual?*

*Roycesraphim discovered Mount and Blade through these forums, created several threads, and played through the alphas, marvelling at how one band of black knights could liberate everything on the overworld and create a warband of 800 people. and yet, he has not purchased the fire and steel expansion pack and has never played online against anyone. He was also a rather large cunt in one of the threads and had his wings clipped by someone much wiser.

I've been playing Mount & Blade since 2005 and I had no idea there was a manual.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I have never played Mount & Blade (and have no intention of doing so) and I also had no idea there was a manual.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    dang, 4 pages to read. And I just spend an hour trying to best 37k on pinball. Well.. steam sale. HL2-E2, I hear HL3 confirmed? From my d&D/Pathfinder group. And well EQ2 to play. Later all.

fine print, no I didn't read the thread..

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
This discussion has been closed.