As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Almost Human] iBrobots, Toy Giraffes, Bioprinters, & Episodes Airing Out Of Order...

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
2oRcHp5.jpg

Anyone else watching this? I was a bit skeptical after the first episode but the second really convinced me that this show might have potential.
I love Mackenzie Crook's character as the go-to tech guy.

Of course we all know how Fox is when it comes to sci-fi... If Summer Glau gets cast for any role in this... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEmzvgl-2WQ

Zilla360 on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This has a pretty sweet cyberpunk theme going on in it. I'm hoping they stick with that. It's got J.J. Abrams behind it, and after Fringe really turned itself around this certainly has potential.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    To me this show has had a pretty amazing first two episodes. I haven't seen the third. The wife is digging it which is good for me. It may not be the most original material but its really well executed so far

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    After three episodes, I'm really liking this so far. A lot better than Agents of SHIELD, actually. The two leads have great chemistry, and all of the main cast are pretty good. I like that they're also prodding at the themes of what it means to be "alive" or not without beating us over the head with it.

My only worry is that it could become too episodic and procedural. That said, they've hinted at a few plot elements that could carry over at least this entire first season, maybe more.

Overall, I'm glad I gave this one a chance. I just hope it does well enough to stick around.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I like the episodic format for a cop drama.Detectives run multiple cases and it makes more sense than lingering on one case for ten episodes

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm with the op about the second episode selling me on this show. The premiere was good, but it needed something to make it stand out even more than it did already from the typical procedural cop shows. The second episode brought a much needed boost of character to the show with the great back and forth humor between Urban and Ealy's characters. Haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but I hope it keeps the tone of the second episode

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    The premier was so-so, but the second was pretty neat. I like the shininess of everything, and there's nothing that I hate. There is a little bit too much telling rather than showing, but /shrug it's not triggering me.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Suggestion for title of thread: "Please don't scan my testicles."

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    That gave more of a smile and laugh than anything from Brooklyn 99 or SHIELD ever did.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    this show is so cyberpunk it hurts

JJxFvoK.jpg

LED TOILET HANDLES

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    In the future, everything is electronic and high tech. Except where they make super advanced robots, that place will look like Billy Bob's Pick n Pull.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    In the future, everything is electronic and high tech. Except where they make super advanced robots, that place will look like Billy Bob's Pick n Pull.

You have seen what a Foxconn factory looks like right?

• Options
    No but I know what the Tesla factory looks like.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    aw man that video in the op has just convinced me I need to watch this. It's got Karl! And the guy from the sadly shortlived Common Law thing. (Which was pretty good, I really liked a lot of it.)

So....we're giving it at most one season, right? I'm going to get all excited about this thing and then it doesn't get renewed.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    this show is so cyberpunk it hurts

http://i.imgur.com/JJxFvoK.jpg

LED TOILET HANDLES
    Already a thing. I'm pretty sure a hotel I stayed in once had LED taps/flush handles in their bathrooms. No three seashells yet though.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

Yeah that bugs me. A storage/ repair bay for robots should be clean and modern. Not look like theres a crack den in the back

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    holy shit episode 3 was so fucking good

episode 1 was a little shakey

episode 2 was okay

episode 3 was rock fuckin' solid

• Options
    Future cubicals are bulletproof. It's nice that they have gone from super cheap to super expensive....clearly future corporations care a great deal about employee safety.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doesn't surprise me, considering our current rate of massacres, its probably common place for people to show up and shoot everyone up. Also future Dewey Crow did not do as well as past Dewey Crow.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm more annoyed that they expect us to believe that Spyder motorcycles and Segways will stay exactly as is.
    But yeah, I'm liking the show so far.

• Options
    Why would either of those things change? I mean look around, hundreds of things are old tech/haven't changed design in years.

I think what I enjoy the most about the show is the humor. If they were trying to make this dry it wouldn't work, but the back and forth jokes really sell me on the leads.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    As each episode progresses the two leads become more and more likeable, and their on screen chemistry is absolutely fabulous. The complaint about the place where they make robots not being super advanced I don't agree with, as that wasn't a robot factory so much as it was the police's IT department. And pretty much every IT department I've ever seen has looked like that, just with harddrives and keyboards sitting around instead of disembodied android arms.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    I have to say, Rudy Lom (the tech guy) seems like he could become a pretty interesting character. Based on what he was able to do in this last episode when he
    Built the convincingly real trigger/device/macguffin thing, which everyone seemed surprised that he was able to do.

I'm wondering if he's way smarter than a normal tech in this position would be, and if that's the case, why is he there? They could go some cool places with him I think.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I like the Tech, if only because his introduction was so strong.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    The only thing that annoyed me about this show was one sentence.

Episode 1 spoiler
    When the syndicate deploys that thumper to shut down the irobots, and Dorian mentions not being on the same wavelength as the others "newer doesn't necessarily mean better." That whole thing just hurt meeeee

But it has been pretty good.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »

Episode 1 spoiler
    When the syndicate deploys that thumper to shut down the irobots, and Dorian mentions not being on the same wavelength as the others "newer doesn't necessarily mean better." That whole thing just hurt meeeee

Yeah, that was a little dumb, but I can hand-wave it away to an extent by simply assuming John is basically ignorant of how Androids actually work, and so Dorian is dumbing things down for him big time. It's probably also part of his programming to simplify things that way to make him appear more human.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Its also true with a lot of things. Older tools stand up to more abuse than our current cheap knock off shit. Not always true for tech, but eh Dorean's brand of android seems more future proofed than the ones the other officers are using.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its also true with a lot of things. Older tools stand up to more abuse than our current cheap knock off shit. Not always true for tech, but eh Dorean's brand of android seems more future proofed than the ones the other officers are using.

I know it is true in some cases, it is just that the two things didn't really go together. One radio isn't better because it is on a different frequency. But I agree it seems like Dorean's line probably had a bit more put into them because they were supposed to be human-like, the new ones less so and more cheap mass production. It could of easily been explained as Dorean had something special because he was in spaaacceee with lots of errant radiation.

• Options
    Had he actually already been to space before? I know they said he was slated to go to NASA or whatever but I didn't realize he'd already gone.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Had he actually already been to space before? I know they said he was slated to go to NASA or whatever but I didn't realize he'd already gone.

I could of sworn he mentioned being on the space station before he was shut down.

• Options
    No I think he mentioned he was going to be, but they had not sent him up yet. I believe Dorean was a cop before the shutdown, probably was the partner of their captain.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hmm, I see. But it would still work as work being done in preparation to send him up. Still kind of wish he had been to sppaaacceee though. :(

• Options
    Could have also been the reason he was being sent up, hardier build or something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I really loved episode 3, guys.

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Retaba wrote: »

Episode 1 spoiler

Yeah, that was a little dumb, but I can hand-wave it away to an extent by simply assuming John is basically ignorant of how Androids actually work, and so Dorian is dumbing things down for him big time. It's probably also part of his programming to simplify things that way to make him appear more human.

Not probably, at one point in a car ride he mentions "Like 80% of these are given as gifts." John says other androids give percise information and Dorian responds with "The ACTUAL statistic is 83.765% but I'm running my colloquialism subrutine so I present information conversationally man!"

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm enjoying it so far. I mean, it's pretty much a case-of-the-week police procedural (so far, at least), but the chemistry between the two leads is great and fun (especially in the 2nd and 3rd episodes - they seemed to make the back-and-forth lighter and funnier between the pilot and the 2nd episode), and the bits of future tech and art design liven up the show beyond the standard cop thing.

Plus, Gareth from The Office as the tech guy!

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Yeah clearly between pilot and regular season episodes a tonal shift occured and the show is way better for it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Durning last night episode my husband suddenly yelled out "AH-HA! It's been driving me crazy... IT'S THE PIRATE WITH THE WOODEN EYE!"

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    THAT'S where I remember him from. Man, it was driving me nuts.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Also as a character note, it seems like Dorian almost looks down on the other police synthetics which would make sense if you wanted something to act more human. We all got egos, they all got frequencies, he just thinks that theirs sucks.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »

Durning last night episode my husband suddenly yelled out "AH-HA! It's been driving me crazy... IT'S THE PIRATE WITH THE WOODEN EYE!"

I read online we are also going to get John Lauroquette as a tech guy, which makes me wonder if old wooden eye is not long for this series.

pleasepaypreacher.net