As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] indie-series: Hot Potato - Village Victory | MrT is HoPo Champion

1272829303133»

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Megafrost had just given me nothing to work with in the thread, or at least I didn't see anything particularly villagish or mafiaish.

Yeah. I pretty much wasn't really participating up until INANTP died. Didn't say a lot, made really dumb focus decisions.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Obi, when you did the RNG for the discrider/marikir, did you consider marikir as having 2 loops, so the odds would be 2/3 vs 1/2?

Yeah, I did.

The more interesting question is, did you, on the second pass for a lot of those potatoes, do another RNG to determine whether the potatoes would go through the second warp back to Marikir?

Cause I'm a bit amazed only two stuck to him under those conditions.

D:

Probably not. I think I used the initial RNG for all subsequent jumps and stopped once it didn't need it.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I think you're talking about this path?
    Solving for zh
    zh -> path split!
    66% marikir
    marikir -> (jumpered from premium) mrt -> premium -> path split!
      50% marikir
      marikir (end)
      -----
      50% vertroue
      vertroue -> premium (end)
      -----

-----
    33% vertroue
    vertroue -> (jumpered from premium) mrt -> premium -> (jumpered from discrider) marikir -> premium (end)
    -----

It works out that premium was the target 2/3 of the time

Phyphor on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Um, yes, but the two potatoes that Marikir ended with in game were I think the two the mafia landed on him to begin with!
    So you're looking at an additional 1/3 of the potatoes that premium soaked up landing on Marikir.

discrider on
  • Options
    Oh that path, that's the simple one:
    Solving for marikir
    marikir -> (jumpered from premium) mrt -> premium -> path split!
    66% marikir
    marikir (end)
    -----
    33% vertroue
    vertroue -> premium (end)
    -----

The busdrivers were (discrider, marikir)x2 and (vert, discrider). If we take a marikir branch it stays; otherwise it ends up back on premium who already threw it and had his bus burned. I think one of ours ended up on each

• Options
    What I think happened from the narration, is although Obifett used the correct probabilities on the first pass, he then assumed that they would take the other path on the second loop around, instead of properly recalculating the link probability and handing additional potatoes to Marikir.
    At least, that was the feeling I got from that day.
    Of course no-one could tell because of Sepah's skilled masking of mafia linkages :P

• Options
    edited November 2013
    What I think happened from the narration, is although Obifett used the correct probabilities on the first pass, he then assumed that they would take the other path on the second loop around, instead of properly recalculating the link probability and handing additional potatoes to Marikir.
    At least, that was the feeling I got from that day.
    Of course no-one could tell because of Sepah's skilled masking of mafia linkages :P

The only potato that followed a double-branching busdriver was zh's though, the rest were deterministic after the first branch

Look at the mafias forums day 3 thread, page 2 about half way down

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No, every potato from the hitsquad was still non-deterministic after the first branch.
    These potatoes were Mikey's, ZH's and SOE's.

The sequence would have gone:

HiSq -> Me :: Vert -> Premium :: MrT -> Premium -> Me :: Marikir -> Premium
    or
    HiSq -> Me :: Marikir -> Premium :: MrT -> Premium -> Me :: Marikir
    or
    HiSq -> Me :: Marikir -> Premium :: MrT -> Premium -> Me :: Vert -> Premium

And those last 2 cases were accidentally amalgamated into the last case in narration.

discrider on
  • Options
    Oh right, I collapsed everyone focusing you to zh. It wouldn't have changed the outcome though

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Probably not, but it would've have looked slightly strange in narration and prevented us from all going wtf Sepah when he announced to us the night of his death.
    I mean seriously, he came to the network and claimed all the dodgiest busdrivers. And then died village.

discrider on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    BTW - Obi, I really, really liked the secondary win condition for the Seer role. It made a lot of sense and also allowed me to sort of relax a little when the vote tide turned against me initially. It basically let me just shrug and put it all on the table, which I'm glad to see, helped the village apparently, though not in the way I had wanted to.

Regardless, I enjoyed the setting and the set up. A Hot Potato tournament was perfect, in my humble opinion, to use for a game centered on busdriving. Very creative.

Again, thanks for doing this.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    The mafia was borderline inactive most of the game and, mechanics aside, we threw really, really hard. But everything was getting done last minute if at all every day, so when I was asked to do something stupid, I pointed out that it was stupid, then threw up my hands and did it anyway.

• Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    That said, I never realized the backchannels discrider was using in his tireless attempts to have me murdered.

edit: forgot the most important bit, thanks for the game, Obifett, it was as crazy as I could've hoped!

Jaenther on
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Great game. I'm only sorry that I did die to schuss not placing it's focus. It's a lame way to die. But it did good for the village, eliminating an inactive villager and a totally clueless one (me)...

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I'll have to read how this turned out when I'm back home. Sounds like a lot to post mortem?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks for the game Obifett!

Learned something for next time:
    Hitsquads are not the mafia; probably don't jump on them day 2.

As for Jaenther, we're sort of lucky Sir Fab's busdriver managed to catch your focus.
    Frankly, day 4 was when I knew for sure that you were mafia, the other days you were just suspiciously persistent in voting for me and other random villagers I liked.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I absolutely do not feel bad that the potatoes you passed to kime and got passed to me went back to you. All like, six of them.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Vert whhhhhy did you want to kill me!? I told you I was village :p

Discrider I should have trusted you and I'm sorry I didn't. We could have been a warper/vig team.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I absolutely do not feel bad that the potatoes you passed to kime and got passed to me went back to you. All like, six of them.
    How rude.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So this was fun. Thanks for the game, Obifett.

Also, SaberOverEasy, you will rue the day!

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »
    @bedlam

Sorry. I would have seriously considered working with you, except that I thought Greenbarons revealing himself to be "the last mafia" when narrations don't tell us we've killed all the mafia meant he was providing cover for someone else.
    @Megafrost

No hard feelings here. The only person I could fully trust this game was @Zombie Hero and I got super lucky that he didnt try to backstab or manipulate me. If @Greenbarons hadnt revealed himself he might ahve been able to convince me to vote for you instead.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, not sure the whole bus drive phalla is a great idea. I mean hot potato as it's own game would work great, but the mafia really should have control of their kill in these sort of things or have a wincon that offsets the fact that they can't really control their kill well enough.

In hindsight, I probably should have jumped on the Saber wagon. I was kind of expecting that to either run away or Saber getting a chance to tie it and take himself with UGM.

Either way, I really wish I was more on the ball about getting out of queue before the game started, but I got sidetracked with other stuff.

@ObiFett thanks for running.