As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tearaway] Handle With Care! Out Now!

Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
Tearaway_boxart.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tearaway! A beautiful world of papercraft, imagination and wonderment, full of charm and magic brought to us by Media Molecule, creators of the LittleBigPlanet series. A world brought to you exclusively through your Playstation Vita system.

What's the Game About?

The game centers around a Messenger from Tearaway's world who has a very special message to deliver. Who does he (or she!) have to deliver it to? Why You, of course! Or rather, the You who has the ability to peer into Tearaway's universe through the very sun itself!

Of course, there are a few issues associated with this. Crossing worlds is not an easy task, especially when the portal through which is as high up as the sun is. Still, with a little adventure and a little cooperation, You and Iota (or Atoi!) can surely come together to find out what this special message is!

So it's a Single-Player Game?

Yes. The game is all about the journey between Iota/Atoi and You. However, there is a social hub at Tearaway.me where you can upload some photos to for sharing, as well as get access to Papercraft Patterns for printing that you unlock during the game!

11001701494_e8b996bf1c_z.jpg

So I can customize my character?

Absolutely! As one of the nicer parts of the game, you can hold your finger to Iota or Atoi to enter the customization screen which allows you to buy and apply bits and bobs to make great and/or funny faces for your little delivery person. Pieces are purchased with confetti which you collect in-game, and are only one-time buys for unlimited applications, so no worries on that front. Go wild! As an added bonus, you can create your own papercraft items and apply them to your character! But you...should probably be nice. I'm fairly sure that Iota would not appreciate running around with a crudely cut cardstock naughty bit attached to his face.

Should I buy this game?

YES.

Really?

Well, let's let a couple trailers speak for themselves, yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYDNN3VbRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPAxuVOkQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igsBJ_GJYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oxBviRGlU

Tearaway is available NOW, so head out to your local retailer, check out Amazon, or buy it directly from the Playstation Store!

Once you get the Camera, you can start taking Selfies of your Delivery Person, so if you want to show off how great or wacky your Iota/Atoi looks, share it! I'll be more than happy to add them here to the OP if you'd like.

(Yes you can just take screenshots with the Playstation Button+Start like usual, but shh)

Mine! (I'll probably change him, but it's just an example to get us started)
0b33ac2005d8797c0e4444b3a72446fdae3d7ecb.jpg

Now get crafting!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
Darth_Mogs on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    ac0481b12c878e37c8efaacb84c9d59ed759947b_zps0558f8ea.jpg

I love this game so much.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I want this, and I will bite you to get it.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I went to get this today, but neither Best Buy or Future Shop had it. I was sad. Hopefully I'll have better luck after the weekend.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Want. I guess I'll have to wait until the next payday.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    I went to get this today, but neither Best Buy or Future Shop had it. I was sad. Hopefully I'll have better luck after the weekend.

I had to ask one of the blue shirts to check in the back for it, as it showed in stock online at that store, but it wasn't on any shelves.

And HOLY CRAP is this game whimsical. It's like a whimsy overload. Whimsyload?
    I can already tell it's going on my personal top 10 for this year.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Guys stop talking about how great this game is. You're making those of us who don't have it yet feel bad. :P

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular

My messenger channeling Michael Douglas in falling down

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    How big is this game? If I can grab it in-store tomorrow for £20 I intend to, otherwise I'll have to delete some stuff!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    A little over 900 megs. Definitely worth it, Ive been impressed so far. I even made a flimsy paper axe for my iota to use which brought up a bit of nostalgia(making paper weapons and other random shit in elementary school).

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    1500MB I think.

I totally had to look up how to draw a snowflake earlier.

It paid off, my dayglo pink snowflakes looked so pretty falling from the sky

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    User donkey show over at GAF turned Iota into a Gundam.

9f999a883332a415aad9c61482aa34a3a53ec340.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    User donkey show over at GAF turned Iota into a Gundam.

9f999a883332a415aad9c61482aa34a3a53ec340.jpg

Oh my god

• Options
    Vita Gundam Style?!

• Options
    The idea of making lots of things and just sticking them all over a character to make them look like something else is ingenious.

• Options
    Does anyone have any tips for that, by the by? Making more precise cuts and whatnot? I find it a little difficult to draw stuff because my finger just sorta gets in the way.

• Options
    Make things out of multiple shapes and make your individual pieces bigger instead of smaller (you can shrink them after all). I personally prefer to make more intricate things this way because it's much easier. Trying to cut small pieces out of the paper is madness.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I really like the customization but am pretty baffled that they didn't give the option to change the color on some of the premade pieces so you don't have to custom make them.

• Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    I dunno if there is an option for it but it would be nice to be able to use the rear touchpad to draw things out instead of having my fat sausage finger in the way. Game is still fun as shit though, excellent use of the vitas features.

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Someone on gaf said this is $30 at Best Buy.

• Options
    Damn day of work. Now I really want to play Tearaway :(

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I want this, and I will bite you to get it.
    It seems that I bit myself.

I was in Best Buy today and saw Tearaway for 30 bucks, I also happened to have a 5 dollar off any game purchase coupon. So bought.

Renzo wrote: »
    Someone on gaf said this is $30 at Best Buy.
    Oh it is. *Whispers in your ear* It issssss.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    As I said in the Vita thread, I found this was only $40 new Australian. That's a steal and I would rate this an absolute must buy if you own a Vita.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Just got to The Lab and it's weird, for some reason I didn't think this game would be able to pull off an action sequence like that, but it totally did. Like "exhale at the end" nailed it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Having been able to source a physical copy for the price of buying it online. Download tonight it is!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I think I am almost finished with this game now, which leaves me feeling a bit dead and hollow inside at the knowledge I may have no more of this to play, but I honestly really really really want a sequel to this game. Some mechanical improvements and a longer/larger world would make this into a timeless classic of 3D - whatever you call this game - platforming.

Edit: And I have to say there are some pretty tricky sections later on towards the end.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    I played the demo of this yesterday and my 1-year-old kept popping his face into the sun as he sat in my lap.

Honestly it was an improvement over my face.

Really good stuff! I wish the jumping came earlier because I hate feeling glued to the ground in these kind of games, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Now to get some money so I can actually play the real deal.

• Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    How does the game handle different skin tones of the fingers? I know I heard it does some kind of facial recognition at the start of the game, does the game do a pigment match of your skintone then perhaps?

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    It asks you straight up before you start playing what your skin tone is.

• Options
    So, I beat the game earlier.

Right in the feels. Such a great game.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Anyone tried the real life papercrafting from this game?

• Options
    I'm going to try and craft myself an Iota this weekend. I need that little dude up on my shelf.

• Options
    I am trying to make a squirrel.

This game is an insidious plot from the paper industry to increase profits!

• Options
    I wanna make one of those squirrels but I don't have any colored paper

• Options
    Where do I get the printouts for these? DO I need the game? I'm getting it tomorrow. I want to cover my work desk in papercraft!

• Options
    I'm sure you can find the patterns somewhere, but you basically unlock the patterns while you're playing the game and you can go to Tearaway.me (Like LBP.me) and download/print them off after you unlock them.

• Options
    You find the patterns by taking photos of white colorless objects in the environment and then uploading them to the web server. Some of the objects you can photograph for crafting patterns aren't always white though: For example take a picture of the sun as a good example.

• Options
    Game arrives today with any luck. So looking forward to this.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Welp, finished and Platinum'd. This game was an experience, I loved every second and devoured it in large bites. It's a shame it's so short, because it's platforming gimmicks are fantastic, and really deserve more exposure. I will gladly pay for a sequel or indeed "challenge map" DLC that throws some of the more underused gimmicks together.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I made Teddie snowflakes. I made Teddie snowflakes you guys!

tearaway-teddie.jpg

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site