As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 23: Skyrim’s Opening

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 23: Skyrim’s Opening

This week, we carefully examine and critique the first fifteen minutes of Skyrim's play experience.<br /> Come discuss the topic with us at our brand new <a href="http://extra-credits.net/episodes/skyrims-opening/#discuss">site</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    magwaafmagwaaf Registered User new member
    eh, loved the opening. loved how i went through all that and then got out of the dungeon turned the corner and BAM huge visuals that blew me away!

• Options
    clonedzeroclonedzero Registered User new member
    apparently the folks at Extra Credits dont understand the concept of establishing dialogue. you can establish the existence of something without actually explaining it. so when you do explain it later on, its familiar and the whole thing comes across more naturally. something that would be ideal for a game with as many concepts, lore, factions and things going on as Skyrim. youre not supposed to understand or recognize all the terms they throw out, they're there so when they're mentioned later, its familiar. its a pretty simple and standard writing concept, im surprised you dont understand this.

for example, they mention the stormcloaks yet don't explain the reason for their rebellion until later on in the game, but they've established the stormcloak rebellion later on, so when you ask about it. you have a reason for asking.

i also find it extremely perplexing that they criticize skyrims establishing dialogue, yet they completely ignore CoD's when they compare them. all the dialogue from the loudspeaker, its establishing the conflict which is pretty much at the core of the whole games story. most people completely ignore this. as did Extra Credits. the only reason i can think of is passive racism from it not being in english so they dismiss it as not being important. theres no difference between the establishing dialogue in CoD's loudspaeker dialogue and the conversation in the cart.

im disappointed by Extra Credits. i enjoyed some of their other videos but this comes across as them over analyzing (incorrectly i might add) popular game to get site traffic. im not even saying skyrims intro is that great, its pretty lackluster honestly, im just saying every single reason you claim is wrong. your ignorance is insulting to the viewers.

• Options
    lustdantelustdante Registered User new member
    clonedzero,

First, they said nothing about not being able to establish the existence of something without actually explaining it. What they pointed out was giving too much jargon at such an early stage of the game. Unfamiliar terms are only effective if they are memorable and mysterious, which didn't happen in Skyrim opening. Information overloading is Writing 101's number one don't.

I do not completely understand your second statement. You said 'most people completely ignore this. as did Extra Credits'. Well, Extra Credits did the exact opposite of what you said, and most people aren't like you who would just ignore the cutscene and jump straight to shooting part. I don't know why you bring in 'racism' to this discussion. Perhaps you should organize your thoughts before posting such an insulting rant.

Denouncing the whole series just because you failed to understand one decent episode is the ignorance, a very despicable one.

• Options
    BryrimBryrim Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I understand their mechanics and argument for catching attention, but it's the exact same opening every Elder Scrolls game has ever had. Also given the previous statement, it wasn't copied from CoD. It was copied from Oblivion, Morrowind, etc.

Bryrim on
  • Options
    GuiltyLightGuiltyLight Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Personally I think the Skyrim opening succeeded for the very reasons EC thinks it failed. The game slowly grows from claustrophobic environments and situations to eventual total freedom. In those twenty'ish minutes you earn the ability to go anywhere. You gradually gain things like the use of your hands, the ability to move around, the ability to make the decision to go with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks. You realize that you have options. You get to choose how you handle the first encounters in the tutorial dungeon, introducing a player to the fundamental concepts of an ES game... choice of what kind of character you want to play beyond just race and gender.

And then you finally emerge from the cave, and you realize you can go anywhere. The game gives you a breadcrumb in having the option to follow the guy to the (likely) first town, but you don't have to just follow.

If the game revealed the massive world in scenic vistas right from the start you wouldn't appreciate them as much as you do after fighting for your life to get out of that very closed-in, very claustrophobic opening. When you finally see your first big, open view after the cave, it's breathtaking BECAUSE it's so unlike what you were escaping.

I also disagree with the idea that people "tune out" jargon. That doesn't happen with me, anyway. I was only mildly familiar with the ES series pre-Skyrim (a few hours of Daggerfall, a few of Morrowind and a few of Oblivion), and hearing all those things made me wonder "what is that?" "Can I go there later?" "Who are the Stormcloaks and what's the conflict about?" etc. Honestly I think if anyone tuned out those kinds of jargon drops, then an RPG just isn't for them in the first place, because it demonstrates a profound lack of curiosity or explorative...ness.

It also started you off by demonstrating one of the core story ideas. Ulfric's mouth is gagged. I would think almost everyone immediately asked themselves "why would they do that?" And of course, soon enough, you begin to understand. But just from that detail alone it gets your brain pondering a Why, and Skyrim's opening did that in rapid succession. And that's a good thing. I loved Skyrim's opening and as a rare occasion, I disagree completely with Extra Credits on this.

GuiltyLight on
  • Options
    lordhobanlordhoban Registered User regular
    By watching the video and reading the comments, I just find the whole thing interesting at how vastly different two different people can interpret the opening. One person finds themselves overloaded with key words, another is just constantly asking questions about them and wanting to discover more, is intrigued, actually. No one interpretation is wrong and it just goes to show that as game developers, or crafters of any art, having a vision is important. Feedback may help to craft that vision, but if you go in with very specific goals and succeed in those goals, then you will hopefully find an audience receptive to it.

Personally, I think some references can be fine, but it sounds a bit like overkill. Trying to follow a conversation very clearly over your head, while taking a nice, pleasant ride to your execution... well, that doesn't sound to me all that interesting. There is a lot more that I think could have been done here, just by watching the above video, but maybe they just didn't have the time (sometimes, the kiss principle is sound). What if one of the prisoners attempted an escape? Or, what if, one of the prisoners was intriguing, telling us of great adventure... what if we heard this rousing tale, and then we see this guy break down as we get closer to the gates... this strong, powerful adventurer, reduced to a begging for his life whelp.

A good supporting character can make us feel something, get us wrapped up in the emotion of what's going on, and through that character, maybe we, as a player, can connect, and feel the horror of death that awaits. At this stage, the player is nothing, a blank slate, but maybe we can experience what we should be experiencing, being carted off to our death, with the help of a good supporting character.

So, yes, I think more could have been done... if the time was there, or the vision was right to do so...

• Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    I remember being super-excited for Skyrim and I remember gleaning the intro for useful factoids. Yes, the scenery COULD be more exciting, because there is some amazing scenery in Skyrim, but that's the only criticism I heard in that article that I found I agreed with.

Skyrim is 50 hours of exploration and gameplay, unless you sprint through the main quest and ignore the sidequests, in which case it is 20 hours of exploration and gameplay. People who lack the attention span to get through a five minute movie and a ten minute introductory tutorial are probably doing it wrong. On the other hand, I downloaded the 'Live another life' mod and use that all the time now, because having seen that intro ten times, it gets pretty full - adding in an option to skip it might have been better.

• Options
    ZombieAladdinZombieAladdin Registered User regular
    Ah, OK Chinese Food. I've eaten from there a few times. My mom loves the stuff.

• Options
    PlatonSkullPlatonSkull Registered User new member
    The most annoying thing about it is that they talk about you, the player, being caught trespassing the border while a massive battle is going on.
    WHY DIDN'T YOU SEE THAT AS THE INTRO?
    You're riding your horse through the epic wilderness of Skyrim while people around you are shouting and being slain. Your horse goes out of control and you fall off and hang by a cliff, where the Imperials find you and capture you.
    I NEVER got the sence in Skyrim that a civil war was going on, that would have been perfect!

• Options
    CyrithCyrith Registered User regular
    My first experience of skyrim was at my brother's house, where I was watching the house for him. I was bored, and a little behind the times, and decided to throw skyrim on in an attempt to kill some time, having only heard about it, and not having had the chance to play it yet.

I found the introduction to be bland, boring, and my brother's xbox 360 crashed somewhere near the gates of Helgen. I didn't bother turning it back on. Since then I of course have played the hell out of it, after giving it another shot in another instance of watching his house, and actually making it to the part where it's interesting, and then playing through on the (painfully obvious port) PC version.

If I didnt give it that second shot (which was after I had literally tried EVERY other game in his collection), if have never finished it. Would never have experienced the game, because the intro was so terrible.

My personal idea for an introduction: If it was taken from Alduin's perspective. To see the GIANT landscape of Skyrim, to give the mystery of the sound of flapping wings, and the shouts you may hear while looking from his perspective. Flying across the landscape showing the grandeur of it all, then zooming in on a cart heading towards Helgen, where you then switch to the perspective of the player, and get a (hopefully shortened!) version of the original opening, except with character creation put on the cart, after being asked a similar question by one of the prisoners: who would then respond in a way to give you perspective on your race, as well as any potential racial issues in the setting that will give you perspective if they are mentioned in future conversations.

I just came up with that idea while writing this. I know it's not perfect, but it does address the major flaws in the original introduction. /walloftext.

• Options
    gorlandgorland Registered User new member
    It's Ulfric, not Ulfred.

• Options
    RaginRednecKRaginRednecK Registered User regular
    Personally I have found that the PC skyrim experience is THE way to go thanks to the modding community. Think the intro is lame, download and install one of the alternate intro mods (most of which still give you the OPTION of playing the normal skyrim intro if you want). The pc game I am playing is almost a completely different game than what bethesda released. In my game the NPC's are intelligent in combat, the guards don't just say the same things over and over as well as make conversation that works within the context of where in the game you are and what you have accomplished, my textures are easily 100% better than the 360 release of the game, there are more weapons and armor that are better balanced for both REALISM AND GAMEPLAY, I could go ON AND ON about the difference in experience once you get into modding the PC version but I think that I have made my point. Seriously people if you like skyrim and you have the PC version look at the mods on nexus and make an already amazing game something that is unbelievable.

• Options
    skippy1121skippy1121 Registered User new member
    @ gorland thank you
    also Thalmor not dalmoore
    Rorikstead not roriCkstead
    General Tullius not Tuleous
    and Sovngarde not savvengard
    also does anyone know what they meant by Elod during the same terminology part

• Options
    R3testR3test Registered User regular
    @skippy1121 "Elod" would be Vilod, who is recalled by the Stormcloak as making mead with juniper berries.

• Options
    LizQuinnLizQuinn Registered User new member
    I always thought the intro was SUPPOSED to be kinda boring so that you weren't so much focused on your execution but on the sudden "holy crap, DRAGON!" and "now run for your life because it can totally kill you" aspects.

• Options
    padoylepadoyle Registered User regular
    For all the problems with the intro to Skyrim, I can't help but mention that the point where you're finally free to explore is all the sweeter after you've gone through the motions of the intro and tutorial dungeon. That said, as a big Oblivion fan, I already know what's coming (that "Alright, go do whatever" moment) and I'm not worried about being bored or restrained for much longer. In other words, the intro didn't bug me as much as it did you guys, but I know that it might have been a barrier for those new to the series.