As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii: Katamari, when?

delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Am I alone in thinking Katamari will be badass to play on the Wii? My question: has anyone heard if this will port over?

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
"Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
delroland on

• AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Abels on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How exactly would the wiimote make it any better? Would you just tilt the world ala Super Monkey Ball or something? I'm not so sure it'd add much, it works fine with dual analog sticks.

Darlan on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    How exactly would the wiimote make it any better? Would you just tilt the world ala Super Monkey Ball or something? I'm not so sure it'd add much, it works fine with dual analog sticks.

I don't think it's so much about the controls, so much as it is about the fact that the game is kind of a perfect fit for the Wii, and the casual audience it has drawn. Also, it's not like the game is a graphical powerhouse.

Regarding the controls, though, maybe something like Sonic, with forward/back tilt controlling your movement, while you turn the remote to steer.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz's Wii Remote Controls Made Me Dizzy.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    this game would be perfect on the PS3

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought we were done with these sorts of threads.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Beautiful Katamari is unnecessary, as was Me and My Katamari.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All sequels to Katamari Damacy were unecessary at best.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While I feel that Katamari Damacy was best left as a stand-alone, on the Wii think of it this way. The PS2 version used each analog stick to mimic the prince's left and right hands, respectively. The Wii can do that with your real hands. It only takes two hands to push the ball, and the Wii has two motion sensitive sticks.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All sequels to Katamari Damacy were unecessary at best.
    Agreed.

But I would like to think an ultimate, flawless version of the game would be very much appreciated.

Ultimate Katamari anyone?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was not unnecessary.

jothki on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Yes it was. The charm was already lost by that time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    you're all soulless dickheads!! whether that asshole who invented it likes it or not
    as long as there's shitty mario eating mushroom sequels

let there be rolling it up...and if you think it's lost it's charm then you're boring to begin with!

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was totally unnecessary and the exact opposite of what the first was trying to accomplish

bloodyroarxx on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just someone stop and explain to me how the Wii controls for this would be anything less than retarded? Really. Just lay it out for me, and if it actually works, I'll concede defeat and write an epic sonnet about you.

l337CrappyJack on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was totally unnecessary and the exact opposite of what the first was trying to accomplish

That's not true at all. You can't say Katamari sequels are "unnecessary", because in that sense almost all sequels are "unnecessary".

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited September 2007
    Neva wrote: »

That's not true at all. You can't say Katamari sequels are "unnecessary", because in that sense almost all sequels are "unnecessary".

I'm laughing at this because you have a Final Fantasy VIII avatar.

UnbreakableVow on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Not at all, the game was made out the the creators disdain for large franchises and sequels, the only reason he was even involved in We <3 Katamari was cause he didn't want Namco to make some bunk ass sequel so he did it so it was decent.

bloodyroarxx on
    edited September 2007

Yes it was. The charm was already lost by that time.

It didn't need to try to recreate the charm of the original, it had its own. The game was created solely as fanservice, and it recognized and embraced that. The purpose, both within the game and outside of it, was not to accomplish any great creative endeavor, but to make fans happy.

Of course, that's the kind of thing that can really only be done once. Now that the series has acknowledged itself as being merely games enjoyed by the player, there's really nothing to do for the plot for any future game. Unless the plot of Beautiful Katamari is something truely unique, it will be necessarily played out and uninteresting.

jothki on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just someone stop and explain to me how the Wii controls for this would be anything less than retarded? Really. Just lay it out for me, and if it actually works, I'll concede defeat and write an epic sonnet about you.

wii_standard_controller.jpg

Now where's my sonnet?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited September 2007

wii_standard_controller.jpg

Now where's my sonnet?

Pretty sure Wii games aren't supposed to REQUIRE the add-ons other than the Nunchuk, right?

UnbreakableVow on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So.. I've never played any Katamari game, but I have a question: Why does it require two analog sticks? One for camera, one for movement? If so that can be replicated on the Wii just fine... it's not like it's that complicated.

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    So.. I've never played any Katamari game, but I have a question: Why does it require two analog sticks? One for camera, one for movement? If so that can be replicated on the Wii just fine... it's not like it's that complicated.

Tank controls, in a more literal sense. Left stick is left side, right stick is right side.

jothki on
    edited September 2007

Tank controls, in a more literal sense. Left stick is left side, right stick is right side.

Ah okay... Errmm, carry on then?

urahonky on
    edited September 2007

What? FF8 wasn't a sequel.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited September 2007

Sorry, let me be more specific: You have an avatar from a franchise who's been spitting out lousy sequels at an unbelievable rate. The fact that you may think that FFX-2 and any FFVII spin-offs aren't unnecessary is funny to me.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2007
    How was Katamari Damacy necessary in some way that its sequels are not?

jothki on
    edited September 2007

Rhinoa (I think that's her name) was probably the only likable character in FF8 in my opinion...

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    Let me state that I wasn't attacking FFVIII in any way. I actually like it. But Square needs to stop with this sequel shit.

As for Katamari, the original was necessary in that it was a breath of fresh air when it came out. Second time around? Recycled air.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2007
    Let me state that I wasn't attacking FFVIII in any way. I actually like it. But Square needs to stop with this sequel shit.

As for Katamari, the original was necessary in that it was a breath of fresh air when it came out. Second time around? Recycled air.

Would it of been better if I announced every game that I felt didn't need a sequel? Because I don't think I said that FFX-2 or FF7 sequels were just, or why you would think I said that. The second Katamari added new gameplay modes, more levels, and more features. Mario has been side scrolling and stepping on goombas for over two decades, but most people don't mind when another one comes out.

Neva on

edited September 2007

Rhinoa (I think that's her name) was probably the only likable character in FF8 in my opinion...

What? Come again? Selphie? Laguna? Irvine? Zell? Quistis? Not likeable? I mean, I could understand someone not liking Squall or Rinoa, but not those loveable scamps.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2007

What? Come again? Selphie? Laguna? Irvine? Zell? Quistis? Not likeable? I mean, I could understand someone not liking Squall or Rinoa, but not those loveable scamps.

*shudders at all those people* Yeah that's right. lol

urahonky on
    edited September 2007

NO to Irvine. Fuck Irvine. Third worst Square character ever, right behind Quina and Amarant. Everyone else I loved, even Squall and Rinoa.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2007
    You liked Selphie?! I swear to God she was designed to be hated by people. Fuck her and her nunchucks.

I've been known to say the C word in relation to Selphie... But I will not use that term online, but only around friends.

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    My list goes something like this.

Laguna.

his cohorts.

Selphie
    Quistis
    Squall
    Irvine
    Zell
    Squall
    Rinoa

This is not to say I have anything against Squall and Rinoa, just how much I love Laguna. Best battle theme since Gilgamesh.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2007
    It's probably because my FF7 fanboy side comes out when I think of characters in FF8. It's something I can't fix. I tried hiding it for all these years!!

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    You liked Selphie?! I swear to God she was designed to be hated by people. Fuck her and her nunchucks.

I've been known to say the C word in relation to Selphie... But I will not use that term online, but only around friends.

Cumdumpster?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2007

Cumdumpster?

HAHAHAH... that's a nicer way of putting it! lol

urahonky on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They could have a clip that clips to the wiimote. It's got a handle and a thing that makes the wiimote spin. Hold it so you can spin it forwards/backwards like rolling a ball. Then just position it so it goes left and right.

I really don't know

DekuStick on
    edited September 2007
    Okay, we need to stop hijacking this thread. Katamari coming to Wii in the future!

*disappears in a cloud of smoke*

urahonky on