As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Its TLoU for GOTY
    I cant remember anything bad being said about that game anywhere... and its an expeirence that just sticks with you and is tremendously heavy

Actually tomb raider too but i give the edge to TLOU for the story

The bioshock and GTA5 hype tapered off towards the end there

no comment on that mario game.....

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Last of Us was good, but I think it was a story worthy of a PS2 game, as it was short, pointless, and didn't even matter in the end. Shit was predictable and there wasn't anything epic feeling about it, like a out of the box boss fight that could have happen with these Infected Behemoths running around. I think had there been a few choices or maybe just the one at the end, then I might have enjoyed it more.

GTA V had a great story and characters I liked, even if they were psychopaths. It made you actively cheer for the bad guys and you only felt cold shower dirty about it. Although it's final choices were pretty clear cut. My only complaint about GTA V is that it hasn't updated much since GTA III in terms of gameplay except with the three characters vs. one mechanic. And GTA Online sucks but that's more of an add-on thing Rockstar did and shouldn't effect the overall enjoyability of the Singleplayer score.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Everything was pointless in TLoU? You must not care about character studies, because it was pretty much the best character study as a video game ever made.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I think The Last of Us was served well by not having an "epic" plot and a ME3-style Choose-Your-Own-Ending choice at the end.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Last of Us was good, but I think it was a story worthy of a PS2 game, as it was short, pointless, and didn't even matter in the end. Shit was predictable and there wasn't anything epic feeling about it, like a out of the box boss fight that could have happen with these Infected Behemoths running around. I think had there been a few choices or maybe just the one at the end, then I might have enjoyed it more.

What. Why. I don't understand.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Boy I can't wait to totally ignore the show and watch the trailers the next day.

Also, I am interested in seeing just what sort of game Quantum Break really is.

ShatterShock on

GTA V had a great story and characters I liked, even if they were psychopaths. It made you actively cheer for the bad guys and you only felt cold shower dirty about it. Although it's final choices were pretty clear cut. My only complaint about GTA V is that it hasn't updated much since GTA III in terms of gameplay except with the three characters vs. one mechanic. And GTA Online sucks but that's more of an add-on thing Rockstar did and shouldn't effect the overall enjoyability of the Singleplayer score.

Wow... we completely disagree...

GTA has never had a great story. At best? - GTA4 was ok

The beauty about the Behemouths in TLOU is that you could fight them if you wanted to... its just that it wouldn't be wise... because they are super strong and fast and deadly and youre... only human.

Those things were designed for you to try and avoid because you should want no part of fighting them.

And If you think the end of the game was pointless you missed the point it was trying to hit completly.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Having a choice at the end would have compromised the narrative: You are playing as Joel, not as a silent every day man protagonist who doesn't represent you like say, the main character in Skyrim. I also thought The Last of Us was far from short as the game took me a good 12 hours to get through (and was exhausting to play in many ways - a good way of course). And I am glad they never did any stupid bullshit boss fights like you suggested.

Basically, I disagree with every word you wrote.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Is there any video game website/magazine end of the year awards that anybody actually trusts/take seriously?

I will admit this knowing full well it will be ridiculed but I like metacritics award process...
    Their awards go to the top game in each category and GOTY goes to highest reviewed game to come out that year

no MS, Nintendo, SONY bias
    no Mario/zelda bias/anti bias
    No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

Just numbers... and numbers never lie

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Gaucamelee not being nominated for handheld makes me weep on the inside.

Also, I will say that other than the ending, last of us was good but not some masterpiece of game writing.

My thing about Last of Us is it was like Cormac McCarthy's The Road (but with periods!). Spoiling for plot stuff.
    Its all about Joel and Ellie and they travel across zombie filled America just so we can get a cure to the world and in the end, we don't. While I understand Joel couldn't let Ellie die, the whole trip means nothing except Joel and Ellie become friends/stepfamily. But between that point and the next, its just them sneaking around until about 6 hours in and the game becomes a shoot out most of the time (Pretty much from escaping with Henry and Sam onwards). And worst its linear sneaking around. You got one path with things to hide behind. I wanted more pathways, some ways to deal with enemies, ect. I wanted more from the game and I didn't get it. Also, why does Joel, who has been some sort of muscle for Tess for the last 10-15 years, have such shitty aim? I'm super critical of it and if that makes me a bad guy so be it. But I found the game lacking and boring. The story was all that held it together and to me the ending was disappointing.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a good time with The Last of Us because I apparently ran into every glitch in the game and ended up leaving it uncompleted. I'd like to go back to it at some point, but since my experience was atypical I haven't heard much about bug fixes that would ensure that I didn't have the same problems again.

It would not be my pick for Game of the Year. Out of the titles presented, Tomb Raider would be my personal choice.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    zllehs wrote: »
    Is there any video game website/magazine end of the year awards that anybody actually trusts/take seriously?

I will admit this knowing full well it will be ridiculed but I like metacritics award process...
    Their awards go to the top game in each category and GOTY goes to highest reviewed game to come out that year

No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

A lot of people like the Giantbomb GOTY awards but they're hardly taken seriously. Even so, they're taken far more seriously than Metacritic's awards, which are a joke (just like Metacritic scores).

The only legit awards the industry has are the GDC Awards and BAFTA Game Awards.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Numbers lie all the time, especially numbers made up by people.

s7Imn5J.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You can't say Metacritic is unbiased when they straight-up give different weights to scores depending on the review outfit (and they certainly do not disclose the methodology in which they assign them).

Aegeri wrote: »

Having a choice at the end would have compromised the narrative: You are playing as Joel, not as a silent every day man protagonist who doesn't represent you like say, the main character in Skyrim. I also thought The Last of Us was far from short as the game took me a good 12 hours to get through (and was exhausting to play in many ways - a good way of course). And I am glad they never did any stupid bullshit boss fights like you suggested.

I have to ask, when does a 12 hour game not count as short? Especially a 12 hour game that doesn't have replay value. Hell, Pokemon Red is a 16 hour game if you don't bother doing anything extra like completing the Pokedex or Training your Pokemon to level 100. I'm sorry, I don't feel like paying $60 dollars for something that I'll play with for half a day before I'm stuck with nothing to do. I want more. Longer games, more challenging games, game with replay value.

The problem here is that we as gamers have stopped asking for better games. We let studios get away with murder either due to their name sake or because the game is pretty. Studios don't care if you play it more than once because they already got your money. And its a shame that we are at this point in the industry. While I won't throw Last of Us in the painted turd category of games, its not GOTY.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I now disagree with every word in your second post as well.

And I played a fair amount of multiplayer and on hardest difficulty to start. Then a second playthrough on true survivor (which can be immensely challenging).

I play a lot of games and on hard, TLoUs was no push over, so I call bollocks on your lack of challenge statenent.

And 12 hours for a story driven sp game is good by any metric.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The problem here is that we as gamers have stopped asking for better games.
    What's this "we" shit?

More on topic: The fact that Hotline Miami isn't anywhere on those lists is a fucking travesty.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

And I played a fair amount of multiplayer and on hardest difficulty to start. Then a second playthrough on true survivor (which can be immensely challenging).

I play a lot of games and on hard, TLoUs was no push over, so I call bollocks on your lack of challenge statenent.

Totally.

...just not for 60 bucks. Ever. I wait for sales on that shit.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    A Link Between Worlds not being nominated for best Action Adventure game is a travesty.
    Oh well.

As per usual, I'll skip the show and just watch the trailers on Youtube the next day.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    12 hours is a long game to me, if a game is over 12 hours I'll probably pass it by (with the exception of handheld titles).

I'd rather have a tightly crafted, shorter, single player experience than a long drawn out one. It's why I usually avoid open world games, or at the least just stick to the main story missions.

If I were to pick a Game of the Year it'd be a choice between:

The Last of Us
    Guacamelee
    Dragon's Crown
    Rayman Origins

So by default in the VGAs I'd have to go: The Last of Us.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch

I have to ask, when does a 12 hour game not count as short? Especially a 12 hour game that doesn't have replay value. Hell, Pokemon Red is a 16 hour game if you don't bother doing anything extra like completing the Pokedex or Training your Pokemon to level 100. I'm sorry, I don't feel like paying $60 dollars for something that I'll play with for half a day before I'm stuck with nothing to do. I want more. Longer games, more challenging games, game with replay value.

The problem here is that we as gamers have stopped asking for better games. We let studios get away with murder either due to their name sake or because the game is pretty. Studios don't care if you play it more than once because they already got your money. And its a shame that we are at this point in the industry. While I won't throw Last of Us in the painted turd category of games, its not GOTY.

Not everybody likes or wants replay value...
    Not everybody has 60 hours to pour into a game
    Or most likely nobody wants to put 60 hours into a game that more or less got stale a third of the way through
    Some people are more than happy pay $60 for an EXPEIRENCE and thats what TLOU was

Your way of thinking about what games should be is stuck in the past

Quality over quantity...

I got more enjoyment out of the 8 hours I put into heavenly sword last gen than 80% of the other games I played in that time span

edited November 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Totally.

It's entirely a matter of opinion in the truest sense of subjectivity. If a game provides 12 hours of solid fun then sure, it's worth 60 bucks to me. Maybe not to you but it's not like either of us are wrong on the matter, we just value things differently. That said, it takes a LOT for me to buy a SP story driven game right out of the gate. I basically have to already be a retarded fanboy of whatever it is to do that at this point. Deadpool and Metro: Last Light I preordered, for instance, and loved every minute of them. Would I say they're good day 1 purchases for everyone? Nah, but I definitely got my money's worth.

EDIT: How the fuck can Titanfall be "revealed" when we've already seen a metric shit ton of the game in action already?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png

Ever heard of "Wisdom of the crowd"?

Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    12 hours is a long game to me, if a game is over 12 hours I'll probably pass it by (with the exception of handheld titles).

I'd rather have a tightly crafted, shorter, single player experience than a long drawn out one. It's why I usually avoid open world games, or at the least just stick to the main story missions.

The Last of Us
    Guacamelee
    Dragon's Crown
    Rayman Origins

AMEN

open world games lack a decent story, and focus. It makes it very hard to care about the story the world and the characters

Can you imagine how boringly watered down TLOU would be If we had to go gather up 25 clicker heads for some insignificant collector who has literally nothing to do with the main story line?

No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

A lot of people like the Giantbomb GOTY awards but they're hardly taken seriously. Even so, they're taken far more seriously than Metacritic's awards, which are a joke (just like Metacritic scores).

The only legit awards the industry has are the GDC Awards and BAFTA Game Awards.

Yea alot of people on this forum seem to love the giant bomb guys... i dont get it lol

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Totally.

It's entirely a matter of opinion in the truest sense of subjectivity. If a game provides 12 hours of solid fun then sure, it's worth 60 bucks to me. Maybe not to you but it's not like either of us are wrong on the matter, we just value things differently. That said, it takes a LOT for me to buy a SP story driven game right out of the gate. I basically have to already be a retarded fanboy of whatever it is to do that at this point. Deadpool and Metro: Last Light I preordered, for instance, and loved every minute of them. Would I say they're good day 1 purchases for everyone? Nah, but I definitely got my money's worth.

EDIT: How the fuck can Titanfall be "revealed" when we've already seen a metric shit ton of the game in action already?

I completely agree that the value of a game is a subjective thing. I wouldn't pay 5c for a CoD game, others go out and preorder collectors editions of it. I'd pay $90 for Dark Souls: PTDE PC while some people think it's a shitty port of an overly hard game and thus wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited November 2013

Ever heard of "Wisdom of the crowd"?

Not applicable in this situation. The Wisdom of the Crowd assumes a massive amount of crowd input and is used to generate fact based knowledge, i.e. "how much does this thingy weigh" or "what happened in the year 1502." Wikipedia is a decent example of this. Not only does Metacritic's professional review system lack the required sample pool, it's also being used to evaluate a generally subjective form of media which completely nullifies the wisdom of the crowd because as we all know when it comes to any form of media: Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited November 2013

12 hours has been considered long since the late 90's, and it sounds like you don't like single player games. Maybe stick to MMO's or Sandboxes, because TLoU almost unarguably represents the high point of single player third person action/survival games right now. Even if 12 hours is short for you, isn't 12 hours of pure quality that gets you thinking and feeling something better than 50 hours of forgettable repetition? As far as challenge goes, the shootouts offer all kinds of choices in how to approach them, be it using things you've crafted or finding ways to flank the enemy. Best of all - the violence means something. The brutality of the game and survivors saying things like "You killed my friends!" are just incredible. Who gives a shit about having one extra pathway for stealthing when you look at how emotional, honest, and provocative the game is? Just the music alone was better than anything else put out this year.

I'm just confused by people who didn't like TLoU. It's like how I see every now and then someone who says they hated Half-Life 2 or something.

Bubby on
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

The Last of Us
    Guacamelee
    Dragon's Crown
    Rayman Origins

AMEN

open world games lack a decent story, and focus. It makes it very hard to care about the story the world and the characters

Can you imagine how boringly watered down TLOU would be If we had to go gather up 25 clicker heads for some insignificant collector who has literally nothing to do with the main story line?

No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

Yea alot of people on this forum seem to love the giant bomb guys... i dont get it lol

Every single open world game I've ever played became monotonous after the 20-30 hour mark except for Red Dead Redemption. They caught magic in a bottle with that game. I poured hundreds of hours into Skyrim, but I look back on that more as a shameful addiction than anything I'm truly glad I spent the time on. It's a beautiful wilderness with no heart, I constantly kept feeling like Bethesda thinks I'm a child but I kept playing anyway.

Studios just need to treat their audience with more maturity for stuff to get better. TLoU and most everything Rockstar puts out are great examples. Spec Ops was a masterpiece that just happened to play like shit, intentionally.

edited November 2013

No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

Uh, what? My point was that their GOTY awards are hardly held up by anyone as legit awards, not that their opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

Unco-ordinated on

Your way of thinking about what games should be is stuck in the past

Quality over quantity...

But there is a reason people have been playing the Original Mario Bros. for 25 years now, why Nintendo has had it on every one of their systems. It's because its a classic that still is as good to play now as it was 25 years ago. Same reason people still instill Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines when ever they see that one thread pop up. The games we have now you wouldn't give two shits about playing again in three years. You won't see Sony porting all their PS3 games over to PS4, just the newer ones that people might not have played yet. Heavenly Swords might not get a 4D Virtual Reality Update in the future like Prince of Persia got with it's HD updates. So if I'm old fashion about game designs and what counts as a good game, then I must not be the only one.

I guess we will run ourselves in circles arguing the point but I believe you can have Quality and Quantity without sacrificing one or both. Personally, I don't care how much work was done to get people's faces as realistic as possible. When ugly games like Minecraft can outsell 99% of the console market, it might be time to rethink what's important to gamers.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Pointing to Minecraft as an example of how the game industry is supposed to work is like pointing at GTA 5 and saying that is how games are supposed to be made.

Sometimes games are juggernauts and runaway hits. Some games have huge budgets and reap huge rewards, some have huge budgets and sell so poorly they shutter the company.

Sometimes small Indy developers can release a small budget title that sells millions of copies, and most of the time they are lucky to sell a few copies to their friends.

A good game knows no budget or graphical fidelity, but certain KINDS of good games are simply impossible to make without that graphical fidelity.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so according to Steam, season two of The Walking Dead will kick off next month. wonder if we'll get a glimpse of what's to come during the show?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What's this "we" shit?

More on topic: The fact that Hotline Miami isn't anywhere on those lists is a fucking travesty.

Hotline Miami came out last year.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

Unless they're weighted.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

12 hours has been considered long since the late 90's, and it sounds like you don't like single player games. Maybe stick to MMO's or Sandboxes, because TLoU almost unarguably represents the high point of single player third person action/survival games right now. Even if 12 hours is short for you, isn't 12 hours of pure quality that gets you thinking and feeling something better than 50 hours of forgettable repetition? As far as challenge goes, the shootouts offer all kinds of choices in how to approach them, be it using things you've crafted or finding ways to flank the enemy. Best of all - the violence means something. The brutality of the game and survivors saying things like "You killed my friends!" are just incredible. Who gives a shit about having one extra pathway for stealthing when you look at how emotional, honest, and provocative the game is? Just the music alone was better than anything else put out this year.

I'm just confused by people who didn't like TLoU. It's like how I see every now and then someone who says they hated Half-Life 2 or something.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on the bolded point. There's faaaaaaar too much combat (my biggest problem with the game) for the violence to mean much of anything.

The reveals have been watered down for a couple of years now. It'll just be a second trailer.

Tomb Raider PS4/Xbone ports and a Tomb Raider 2 announcement then.

It'd be funny if they only announced the ports though, as it'd be a great example of Square Enix Europe (Eidos) vastly over-estimating how many people give a shit about their series. Ports are the things you announce quietly, not with a bang. Especially when you appear on a show with Uncharted 4, a game that will easily outsell Tomb Raider on just one console.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    if they add some new content to the next-gen port of Tomb Raider then it might be worth another playthrough. but yeah, its certainly something that could be announced any day of the week. it doesn't need any fanfare. i do think its a bit early for the sequel reveal though. think we may have to wait for E3 for that one.

edited November 2013
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What's this "we" shit?

Hotline Miami came out last year.
    That list of 2013 games I looked at lied to me then!

Damn you internet!
    The games we have now you wouldn't give two shits about playing again in three years.
    Back-In-My-Day.gif
    Seriously, your argument is amazingly tinted by nostalgia goggles. Every generation has games like you describe; every generation has its "high tech games not worth playing through again;" and every generation has games that you just can't put down. You know how many times I ever played through Faxanadu? Once. You know what game I keep revisiting because of how replayable it is? Bulletstorm. I'm someone who's first console was an Atari and still remembers doing the 5" floppy install shuffle and can say with at least a little authority that you really need to have a long, hard look at what gaming actually used to be and where it is now.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.