As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where [Jobs] Grow on Little Jobbies!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Looks, guys, you may think you have stressful jobs but let me tell you about the stress of being a land owner and having sparky windmills...
    There's like, no stress, I sit on my ass, sign the occasional form and get a bit of money twice a year.

I highly recommend it.

Delusional knights always trying to joust your windmills for entertainment too

Psykoma on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yesterday was pretty rad, one of the teachers I team teach with had an observed class so I got myself all dressed up (I even wore a tie, oh me oh my). The kids had to debate a point against another team, like if it was better to use a time machine to go to the past or to go to the future. Topics like that, some of the kids busted out some pretty good stuff, like saying if you traveled to the past and do something wrong you might disappear from the present. Pretty impressive stuff for English not being their first language.

The class had a supervisor from the board of education come, but also all the other teachers from the school watched. Luckily everything went very well. I got personally thanked by the supervisor at the end and complimented that I make English very approachable for the students and that even he followed along well, despite being a Science and not an English teacher himself. And this morning I got so many "otsukaresama deshita's" for yesterday (which roughly translates into "thank you for the exhausting work you did").

So, feeling pretty darn good at the moment. :D

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Black Friday shift tomorrow starts at 530am. My husband's starts at 6am. Fun times.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    because you crashed it, or...

no because the owner said it died

i'm a CPA i'm very boring

psh, CPA's are rarely boring!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wife's store at the mall set up barricades around the doors while contractors finished construction.

Two different security guys had to hang out there cause apparently blocking off a front door to an empty store isn't enough to keep people from try to get in and browse.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    Wife's store at the mall set up barricades around the doors while contractors finished construction.

Two different security guys had to hang out there cause apparently blocking off a front door to an empty store isn't enough to keep people from try to get in and browse.

Well obviously they wouldn't be trying to keep me out!

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Why in the world would anyone block off stores if the stuff inside wasn't awesome and on super duper crazy rad sale??

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Looks, guys, you may think you have stressful jobs but let me tell you about the stress of being a land owner and having sparky windmills...
    There's like, no stress, I sit on my ass, sign the occasional form and get a bit of money twice a year.

I highly recommend it.

Delusional knights always trying to joust your windmills for entertainment too

I'm not delusional!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Um... That thing I posted in the pa job posting thread was totally supposed to go here.

Not sure how that happened.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Secret thread merging!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    There are already people lining up at the gamestop I work at.

We don't open for another 4 hours.

Fuck Black Friday.

This is why I'm glad I work nights and weekends. Zero temptation to do this kind of thing.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Well, one of the reasons. The other being higher chance of a shift landing on a holiday and making stat dollahs.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i'd try black friday shopping but i don't get my first paycheck until the 5th

it's probably for the best

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I just got paid yesterday. Thankfully, due to extremely low wages and the cost of health insurance, I have very little money that I could put towards shopping this weekend. Crisis averted.

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Black Friday shift tomorrow starts at 530am. My husband's starts at 6am. Fun times.

tumblr_inline_mwxvkzez9O1rlhowl.gif

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    My black friday shift starts in 30 minutes.

11 pm to 7 am.

After listening to Katy Perry - Roar for a hot minute on repeat I feel ready to go.

Thank you Katy Perry.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Today I was the associate in charge of the Wii U and Wii cases, occasionally covering co-workers who had to leave their cases for their 15 minute break and once I helped get some Disney Infinity sets down from the topstock.

Black Friday Eve was boring and un-eventful and hopefully this experiment in letting bullshit consumerism creep into actual holidays is enough of a failure that it doesn't become an established thing.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    It won't be though, we sold so many games and 3DS stuff and Disney Infinity.

Somewhere John Vignocchi is smiling and rubbing himself with stacks of money.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I see all these kids heading for a local computer game show while I'm working. They look so young and happy and it makes me kind of glad. I feel like an old fart telling war stories when I hear them talking about games though. I keep imagining trying to join in the conversation like grampa Simpsons

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    I see all these kids heading for a local computer game show while I'm working. They look so young and happy and it makes me kind of glad. I feel like an old fart telling war stories when I hear them talking about games though. I keep imagining trying to join in the conversation like grampa Simpsons

Dude I remember going to computer game shows with my dad and getting the original Mario Brother on DOS and that first awful TMNT game and this:

vgsaboteurii.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Woo, just got back home from my Mauve Thursday shift at work. Ended up getting sent back to work the Electronics register, which wasn't too bad.

Other than the goddamn lady who held the line up for ages who didn't understand it that no, you didn't need the goddamn RF Modulator for your TV, yes I know what the goddamn DVD player box says, that's just a goddamn warning for those people with even older goddamn TV's than you that don't have the hookups you've said your goddamn TV has.

So many copies of BF4/Ghosts/Black Flag sold, so few good games actually sold.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Woo, just got back home from my Mauve Thursday shift at work. Ended up getting sent back to work the Electronics register, which wasn't too bad.

Other than the goddamn lady who held the line up for ages who didn't understand it that no, you didn't need the goddamn RF Modulator for your TV, yes I know what the goddamn DVD player box says, that's just a goddamn warning for those people with even older goddamn TV's than you that don't have the hookups you've said your goddamn TV has.

So many copies of BF4/Ghosts/Black Flag sold, so few good games actually sold.

Black Flag is good :(

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    When driving home from Thanksgiving we saw a Best Buy in Chicago that had a completely full parking lot at 8 PM.

*sigh*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BF4 is also good...

or at least it was in beta where it wasn't crashing all the time.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Note: The previous statement should not be taken as serious commentary of the quality of games, because after having to deal with eight hours of crap from customers the writer hates everything.

Did save someone from making a horrible mistake, though. They almost bought the not-Telltale Walking Dead game, but was able to convince them to spend a couple extra dollars to get the Telltale one instead.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Apparently some shops over here are having Black Friday sales.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Noone has the day off. It's just a regular damn friday.

Why would they think this is a good idea?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Noone has the day off. It's just a regular damn friday.

Presumably because of online retailers picking it up.

• Options
    Same reason I heard that some Canadian shops are going to do a thing (I think. I half remember the CBC mentioning it last week). Because money.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Capitalism.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Hm for this month's elementary school visit (wish I got to go more often) they want me to teach ABCs. Always a tricky topic compared to what I normally aim for which is stuff like animals, colors, parts of the body, etc. I teach 1st and 2nd grader students only when I go to elementary and the 26 data points that the alphabet represents is a pretty daunting task for a 45 minute class that I won't see for another couple months.

Oh well, my visiting elementary schools is less about them learning English and more them associating English with fun and being comfortable around foreigners.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm in the early stages of an 11pm-9am shift, then a 4pm-1am shift. Love Black Friday.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    (No, I don't.)

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Today my city has some night shopping event where most stores are open until 21.
    Today is also apparently some kind of buy nothing day which confuses me about as much as earth hour or that thing where you aren't supposed to refuel your car one specific day.
    And today is also black Friday.

What a clusterfuck, I'm happy I don't work in retail but I need to give my moms a ride to the big city and there's gonna be so much fucking traffic today :(

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Surprisingly I've never ran into bad traffic on Black Friday. And I've had to drive to two different Best Buys for work before. The parking lots on the other hand are a nightmare.

• Options
    Black Friday has never been a thing here.

Boxing Day, on the other hand: madness. At best buy, the whole lot is filled, and people are parking on the grassy/snowy hills beside the driveway. Also on the driveway, but scootched as far onto the shoulder as possible and also blocking in the hill people. At this particular one, it shares a driveway and a streetlight with a plaza and people barely give enough space for the intersection and one lane of traffic on the driveway, parking all the way back into the plaza.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The wife has just departed for her portion of Black Friday.

Lush doesn't actually do Black Friday so it's actually just a day she has to go in at three in the God damn morning cause the mall opened at midnight.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    presumably she will also have to deal with unreasonable or crazy people who will get angry about stuff in her store not being discounted?

• Options
    presumably she will also have to deal with unreasonable or crazy people who will get angry about stuff in her store not being discounted?

P much.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    It was so cold tonight that my legs are sore from shivering. It was quiet, though, so I can't complain. Much.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

In Canada we do the same damned thing. Started last year, or maybe the year before. It's puzzling.

This discussion has been closed.