As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Document the Atrocities! The American Political Media

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I was confused who posted that until I saw Twitchy. God damn Malkin.

What the conservative pundits have done to Fluke is just unconscionable. And to see women conservatives not only ignoring the rampant misogyny on display from their male counterparts, but actually joining in, just depresses the shit out of me.

Megyn Kelly makes me the saddest. Like when its something that effects her personally like maternity leave she's all "Rawr women need that" and then she calls fluke a whore or says that pepper spray is just a food condiment. I just can't understand why someone would spew such hate even for a pay check.

It's a pretty big check.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Even then though, its like people who make an ass out of themselves on reality tv. At what point do you just sacrifice people thinking you're an absolute shit heel for money? I mean I'm a sociopath I still wouldn't do it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    You aren't enough of a sociopath.

I think I might actually respect Gretching more. She just looks too stupid to know any better. Megyn Kelly is just 100% blatantly an opportunistic got-mine-fuck-you piece of shit.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Gretchen Carlson was her high school valedictorian, an accomplished violinist, Miss America 1989, graduated cum laude from Stanford in 1990 with a degree in sociology, and while at Stanford did some abroad studying at Oxford.

She is not a stupid person. She just plays one on TV.

I dunno man Ted Cruz has a lot of education himself, guy is dumb as a brick when he's not on his talking points.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I dunno man Ted Cruz has a lot of education himself, guy is dumb as a brick when he's not on his talking points.

Indeed. Education doesn't say shit about intelligence.

GWB graduated Yale.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

Heh, reminds me of that story that ran awhile back featuring comments from his old college roommates. Dude walked into college as a freshman with an entire conservative ideology and ethos already in place, I think it's safe to to assume that when you show up already knowing everything, you're probably not going to learn a damn thing. Most people go through several identity phases early on in college, I think it's telling that Ted never did.

His wheelhouse was always debating, it's his love, and he's damn good at it. But debating is one thing, answering hard questions when your line of bullshit starts to show cracks is another. Or wait..I guess that's debating 101...eh..maybe he's just so use to getting away with it, he's surprised when journalists actually call him out.

Dark_Side on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Should we make a new thread?

@enlightenedbum

Probably, but not tonight.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Heh, reminds me of that story that ran awhile back featuring comments from his old college roommates. Dude walked into college as a freshman with an entire conservative ideology and ethos already in place, I think it's safe to to assume that when you show up already knowing everything, you're probably not going to learn a damn thing. Most people go through several identity phases early on in college, I think it's telling that Ted never did.

His wheelhouse was always debating, it's his love, and he's damn good at it. But debating is one thing, answering hard questions when your line of bullshit starts to show cracks is another. Or wait..I guess that's debating 101...eh..maybe he's just so use to getting away with it, he's surprised when journalists actually call him out.

There's also a vast difference between having the flexibility of mind that defines a genuine intelligent human being and the type of person who excels at the formalized world of schooling. Lots of people have the raw intelligence and discipline to be great students while still being dumbasses. Combine that with a rigid political ideology, and you just have a well-trained martinet.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Of course had we jumped into that mess, the column would instead read "Why hasn't Obama gotten us out of Syria?"

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Whenever I go to a WaPo article my browser forwards me to buttfront.net. Considering the articles in here that are linked, I feel like that's a sign.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    So last couple days there's been an anti-Elizabeth Warren series of op-eds and what not from Third Way (and Chuck Schumer, who is Wall Street's pet Democrat), who just wants us all to get along and for moderation to rule the day!

ThrdWayTrustees.png

Or not.

People think of Peanuts as hallowed or something, but lets not forget that the original charlie brown christmas thing was a macy's commercial.

Now if you want a sunday morning cartoon with integrity its Bill Watterson.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Newsweek thinks itself the equal of The Economist.

Newsweek was a cut-rate Time at best.

I thought Newsweeks was what readers of USA Today kept on their coffee table to appear smart?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love the Economist, because it's what a sane Conservative position often sounds like.

The economist is my go to magazine for "What have you read lately?" Because everyone regards it highly but no one apparently actually reads it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I read it. Mostly. I've gotten behind the last couple of weeks.

Fencingsax on
    So when the stock market fell it was because of you? YOU SON OF A BITCH!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The NYT op/ed board wants soldier pay on the table when it comes to cutting Pentagon spending.

They can kindly go fuck themselves.

The NYT op/ed board wants soldier pay on the table when it comes to cutting Pentagon spending.

They can kindly go fuck themselves.

That's fucking insulting, which means it will be in the budget deal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The economist is my go to magazine for "What have you read lately?" Because everyone regards it highly but no one apparently actually reads it.

I lost a lot of respect for The Economist back in the Bush days, thanks to the entirety of its Washington bureau being captured by the Fox/Republican hive mind. Since I mostly read it for its international coverage - its European reporting is sane enough, but you can find better - I became really skeptical about the perspective I was getting on foreign affairs in general from its correspondents.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I find it hard to believe half of military spending is going to pay/benefits for servicemen and women...

If they are counting VA benefits/pensions in there it wouldn't surprise me, especially with as many horrifically injured iraq/afganistan vets there are, but only real cock suckers would cut funding on people mangled in the war for stupidity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    If they are counting VA benefits/pensions in there it wouldn't surprise me, especially with as many horrifically injured iraq/afganistan vets there are, but only real cock suckers would cut funding on people mangled in the war for stupidity.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your Republican House of Representatives, featuring:

Paul "P90X" Ryan
    John "the thin orange line" Boehner

And all your other favorite doucheweasels!

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Wouldn't say the war in Iraq was for stupidity, but that's another debate.

We didn't get oil, we didn't get stability, we got a lot of dead americans and wasted billions, thats a war of stupidity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Not the thread for it

steam_sig.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

It's about 250 billion for pay, housing, training, medical, retirement... anything NOT having to do with contractors, basically. Also, this is the cost for dependents and DoD civilians.

Here's the info:

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/11-14-12-MilitaryComp_0.pdf

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    A recent Congressional Budget Office study said that between 2001 and 2012, when private-sector wages were effectively flat, basic military pay rose by 28 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars. The study also said that cash compensation for enlisted personnel, including food and housing allowances, is greater than the wages and salaries of 90 percent of their civilian counterparts.

Gee, I wonder what might have to...oh right all volunteer military, two wars. Civ pay is lower because most civilian positions aren't getting shot at!

So, Olbermann declared the President today's Worst Person In The (Sports) World...for his comments about hosting SportsCenter after leaving the White House.

(It was very tongue in cheek, but hilarious - especially his closing "Stop working my side of the street!")

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So Katie Couric just did an entire anti-vax episode.
    We can’t ignore the stories of the girls Couric reported on, either. She said that eleven cases allege that HPV vaccines have caused death, according to the National Vaccine Information Center, an anti-vaccine group. (For comparison, Merck has shipped 62 million doses of Gardasil.) Vaccine makers and the CDC should redouble their efforts to make sure that if there is a risk of death from the vaccine, we know that. I think Merck in particular should be making an effort to approach these families and find out if there is anything it can learn about its vaccine. Is there any biologically plausible way that Gardasil could be having these effects? It seems unlikely, but we can’t be careful enough.
    But deaths – including deaths by seizures or unexplained causes – do occur for all sorts of reasons, without explanation, and just because a death happened 18 days after a vaccine was given, as in the example on Katie’s show, does not mean the vaccine caused it. So far, investigations trying to link Gardasil and Cervarix to serious side effects have come up empty.

A study of 997,000 girls in Nordic countries found no link to autoimmune, neurological, and venous thromboembolic adverse events from the vaccine. A CDC analysis published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2009 also found no link between HPV vaccines and serious side effects. Schaffner says the main side effects he sees are sore arms and fever.

So far, despite the fact that many families do opt not to get the vaccine, Gardasil is performing better than expected. In the seven year period ending in 2010, the prevalence of HPV infection in girls and women fell 56% to 5.1% of the population. Thomas Frieden, the director of the CDC, told NBC the reduction was “better than we hoped for.” Let’s hope that can continue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/12/04/four-ways-katie-couric-stacked-the-deck-against-gardasil/
    It was even worse than I thought it was going to be, and I knew it was going to be bad when it was advertised as having a mother who thought that Gardasil killed her daughter. And so it did. What I didn’t realize is that Couric also had one of the founders of the anti-HPV vaccine crank blog SaneVax on her show, Rosemary Mathis, and her daughter Lauren. If you want to get an idea of just how much quackery and pseudoscience is promoted by SaneVax, just search this blog for the term. I’ll just give you two examples. First, SaneVax latched onto a dubious finding of trace amounts of HPV DNA in Gardasil to launch a fear mongering campaign of such monumental ignorance about molecular biology and science itself that it was breathtaking in its scope. Then about a year ago, SaneVax published a guide to blaming the deaths of children on Gardasil. I kid you not. The title of the despicable article was A Parent’s Guide: What to do if your child dies after vaccination.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/12/05/katie-couric-on-the-hpv-vaccine-antivaccine-or-irresponsible-journalist-you-be-the-judge/

time to leave this planet

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    So, Olbermann declared the President today's Worst Person In The (Sports) World...for his comments about hosting SportsCenter after leaving the White House.

(It was very tongue in cheek, but hilarious - especially his closing "Stop working my side of the street!")

I saw that and it was hilarious.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Daytime talk show does a show for moronic mothers. This should surprise no one, didn't oprah have on anti vax people? I mean the fucking View has jenny mccarthy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Daytime talk show does a show for moronic mothers. This should surprise no one, didn't oprah have on anti vax people? I mean the fucking View has jenny mccarthy.

Yeah and who do you think is making the decisions to vaccinate their children?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of the biggest poo epsiode of South Park and why Courics are the units of measurement

This discussion has been closed.