As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sites / Platforms for Getting Online Money Gifts

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
Due to moving around a lot, I have friends all over that would possibly like to send me birthday money. Does anyone know of a good site that I could set up and stick on my Facebook, that hopefully doesn't take too much out of the total? Google finds me a few, but I have no experience with any of them.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I think on paypal if you have people mark the money as a gift, there's no fee or anything. Not sure about any sort of open deposit box type sites or anything.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    They could send a check through the mail, or donate online to a charity in your honor. That'ss how I usually ask people to send me money and nothing has ever disappeared in the mail or anything.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Square (as in the credit card mobile thing) has a new service to email people money via e-mail; like through an e-mail. Square Cash.

Not used it myself, but several tech sites have given it a spin and it seems OK.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Square (as in the credit card mobile thing) has a new service to email people money via e-mail; like through an e-mail. Square Cash.

Not used it myself, but several tech sites have given it a spin and it seems OK.

I'm not quite sold on it, mainly because there's just not enough authentication on the sender's side. I've used Google Wallet to send money, and it works great.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The security is basically non-existent, right? Just via e-mail. I guess they have app too, so maybe that's better.

Oh, didn't know Wallet could do user-to-user transactions.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    The security is basically non-existent, right? Just via e-mail. I guess they have app too, so maybe that's better.

Oh, didn't know Wallet could do user-to-user transactions.

It was one of the features added in the Wallet relaunch. Works really nice too.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    It looks like I'm going to go with Wallet then. Thanks all!