As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I move to a different country?

2»

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the answers, everyone. I haven't had time to follow everyone's suggestions, as I've been studying for this Sunday's JLPT, but as soon as I get back on Monday, I'll go back and read everyone's posts.

• Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    I'm a Canadian living in Japan teaching English currently. Since you have a university degree you could apply to teach as a TSL. You wouldn't be eligible to teach English unless you have 12 years of English education which it doesn't sound like you do, but there is some demand for Spanish language instructors though it's very small compared to English. Some eikaiwa's like ECC hire Spanish instructors, you could check to see what kind of prerequisites they have. They would sponsor your visa so that process would be relatively smooth but keep in mind the upstart cost is expensive, with flying over here, paying initial rent, and living expenses before your first pay cheque. But it is an option if you are really interested in Japan.

Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    NZ has various schemes for migration, but if you are not possessing useful skills as yet, that will be a problem unless you are willing to join one if the agricultural schemes.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you want to get into canada, look for an oil and gas job you qualify for. Truckers and semi-skilled rig labor are making 60-70USD in that sector if they are not picky about hours, location, weather where they work. If you can find some geophysical application for your degree, you're good.

I grew up in a town with a lot of oil workers. It is a shitty lifestyle that has a tendency towards drunkenness and drug abuse. I would highly recommend looking into other fields before taking an oil rig job.

If you do, here is what to expect: You will be working in the wilderness around Fort McMurray, in an isolated camp with a select group of people. In general, these people will be under-educated and have a substance abuse problem. In the summer, it will be hot (+40C) and mosquito infested, in the winter it will be miserably cold (-40 to -50C). Your average day will consist of doing hard physical labour or potentially terrible jobs (one friend of mine literally shoveled human shit for a week). Although you will get paid a large amount of money for this work, it will be eaten up through the high cost of living in the area, or the necessity of travelling to the Edmonton area where most people live; as Fort McMurray is way too expensive to live in.

Where I grew up, working on the rigs was synonymous with being too stupid to accomplish anything else.

If you want to work in the resources field for a ton of money and harsh conditions, you will get a hell of a lot more for your efforts in the Australian iron ore mines. And most people working there are on fly in/fly out schedules, usually a couple weeks on then a week off.