As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The best part of [Steam] Thanksgiving sale is DLC sandwiches the next day!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    If @HiT BiT randomly sends you a chat message on Steam, beware of ulterior motives. I mean, HiT BiT is a lovely fellow and he probably does want to chat. However, he may have other intentions as well.

After noticing that I'd received Saints Row IV (Thanks again, @Big Classy!), he asked if I was familiar with the other games in the series and offered a youtube link that would sum up the story. That "link" turned out to be a bundle that contained Saints Row 2, Risen 2 - Dark Waters, Saints Row 3, and Sacred 2. Then, our conversation somehow moved on to artwork and drawing, which resulted in another gift of Crayon Physics Deluxe.

Thank you so very much! You are just too classy! <3

Never fall for "want to see my etchings"!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Man reading up on the recommendations in this thread is dangerous stuff. I usually steer clear of early access but Wrack, Paranautical Activity and Steam Marines all look worth it at this stage. My personal hat-tip for this morning goes to Gunslinger. I bought it on the day of release which is incredibly uncharacteristic of me and I can safely say that it was well worth the money even at full price. I had an absolute blast and it didn't overstay it's welcome. It covers all the classic western tropes you can think of from fighting on a train, under a bridge, through a burning town etc. with the only annoyance gleaned from the stand-offs. They're tricky to win at all and even more difficult to perform a non-lethal takedown, but a little bit of persistence will get you through to enjoy the rest of the game.

Let me just say this about Steam Marines:

Take the XCOM tactical game, put it on a space ship, throw in a steampunk theme, and make it 10 times deadlier. And snarkier ("Wade went down like a rookie!"). Sprinkle in XCOM's soldier classes and promotions system for added yumminess.

Oh, and it's currently under $4.

Welp, that's going right on the wishlist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    If @HiT BiT randomly sends you a chat message on Steam, beware of ulterior motives. I mean, HiT BiT is a lovely fellow and he probably does want to chat. However, he may have other intentions as well.

After noticing that I'd received Saints Row IV (Thanks again, @Big Classy!), he asked if I was familiar with the other games in the series and offered a youtube link that would sum up the story. That "link" turned out to be a bundle that contained Saints Row 2, Risen 2 - Dark Waters, Saints Row 3, and Sacred 2. Then, our conversation somehow moved on to artwork and drawing, which resulted in another gift of Crayon Physics Deluxe.

Ha! You fell for that? Next you'll be telling me you didn't expect the Pinkuisition. =)

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

Ha! You fell for that? Next you'll be telling me you didn't expect the Pinkuisition. =)

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I also originally thought that, "Hey guys, I have enough stuff. Go and gift other people instead!" might actually work. How wrong I was. I am learning. Maybe too slowly, but I am getting there.

• Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    Dian Nao Chong has attacked me with CS-Go! This Ninja attack will not be without consequences.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Volgarr the Viking joins the select category of Legit For Real Hard. Everything it does is fair. The controls are intuitive and responsive. When you die, you know it's your own dumbass fault. But it's also a blast. I just go back to the checkpoint heart full of black, Viking rage. I'm really enjoying it.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Thank you very much @LostNinja for sending me a true Gunslinger from Juarez to make my life much more exciting! <3
    zfVZXhu.jpg

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Thank you very much @LostNinja for sending me a true Gunslinger from Juarez to make my life much more exciting! <3
    zfVZXhu.jpg

I love it when @HiT BiT gets gifted cause we get awesome photoshops.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I posted this earlier today, but we're in a new thread! I'm trying to clear out my gift inventory:

signature.png

So far, I am happy to see that one person has entered; that means I'm actually getting rid of it tomorrow! But if anyone else wants to enter, go for it!

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Waiting for my new Wii U to update and browsing these sales. If I'm not careful I'm going to end up homeless.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Does anyone have SSFIV? It's half price and I've been dying to get it but I'm cash poor at the moment and don't know if it runs as well as say on the 360.

I have it. It runs well on almost anything, though you may have to turn off the nifty backgrounds for perfectly stable framerates. Many seem to prefer that anyway.

On the other hand, now may not be the best time to buy - Ultra is due out anytime now, iirc. Guilty Gear, too...

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So now that I'm safe from gunslinger gifting, where the hell did this game come from? Last i knew they were making the cartel, that was released then suddenly this game existed too.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    My wife took our daughter to the movies (Hunger Games), so I took my son for some actual games down at the arcade. When I return, there's a shiny new friend request from @Orivon, and a Mortal Kombat shortly behind it. Thanks!

"Meant to send a gift to you a while ago, last year in the steam thread you posted a youtube video that led to me buying a cd and I really like it, so thanks."

What CD was it, BTW?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @Karoz has an itchy trigger finger, slinging gunslinger my way. Guess I'm gonna git down that outlaw trail, here's a song to commemorate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDVCMHX9r0k

Sorry @Orivon but Karoz was just faster on the draw.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Let me just say this about Steam Marines:

Take the XCOM tactical game, put it on a space ship, throw in a steampunk theme, and make it 10 times deadlier. And snarkier ("Wade went down like a rookie!"). Sprinkle in XCOM's soldier classes and promotions system for added yumminess.

Oh, and it's currently under $4.

..Now I'm wishing I'd have bought it for me instead. (Don't you even fucking dare)

• Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Houn wrote: »
    My wife took our daughter to the movies (Hunger Games), so I took my son for some actual games down at the arcade. When I return, there's a shiny new friend request from @Orivon, and a Mortal Kombat shortly behind it. Thanks!

"Meant to send a gift to you a while ago, last year in the steam thread you posted a youtube video that led to me buying a cd and I really like it, so thanks."

What CD was it, BTW?

The song was Michael (Jump In) and I ended up buying the No More Kings cd, I like it a lot so thanks again.

@Houn gifted me back right away with Poker Night 2, thanks.

Orivon on
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Finally got my non-steam Assassin's Creed 3 to install. Uplay assumes that people downloading games would not use a software firewall.

In summary, I should have gone with steam.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    @CroakerBC took advantage of my lowered firewall to slip me a suspicious code. It was Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Thanks Croaker!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    So. Shadowrun, and Call of Juarez. What's the better value pick?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »

Yes.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Catalase wrote: »

Yes.
    Not quite what I was going for :P

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks @orivon for Juarez! It's the top game on my wishlist and I can't wait to try it.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    @CroakerBC took advantage of my lowered firewall to slip me a suspicious code. It was Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Thanks Croaker!

In fairness, it was a purely retaliatory strike after an unprovoked sending of Disharmony. @Corsini got me with that one, right in the gifticles. Vengeance was pretty much required.

Go now, and raid some tombs. Watch out for:
    a) angry forest tribes
    b) pit traps
    c) spike walls
    d) rolling boulders
    e) snakes
    f) snakes
    g) snakes
    h) ...two foot drops. (if I can quote WFB, "Death is instantaneous")

...and thanks for Disharmony, looking forward to that one!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Do you get a choice now? most of the ubi games that can be purchased through steam still require uplay

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I thought the Juarez series was supposed to be meh. I am literally wish listing it because of Steam thread herd mentality.

On a separate note, thanks to @an-alt for Ms. Splosionman while I am withering in agonizing boredom at my in-laws. Posting from the bathroom right now.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Gunslinger is such a good game. It's basically everything the Call of Juarez series should always have been and absolutely a steal at the current price point, everybody buy it!

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    Lots of you guys already have this one, but I said there would be giveaways, and giveaways there shall be!

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

Yes. That's right. So far I haven't even scored zero. Go me!

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

Anyway, my point here is this: my crushed ego was soothed by an unexpected gift!

rush.jpg

Yay!

Another game I can be terrible at is exactly what the doctor ordered! Thanks, @SkutSkut! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Well @Dyvim Tvar just fired at me with Gunslinger! I will be avenged...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is shadowrun returns good? Most of the reviews that aren't by somebody who's absolutely in love with the setting seem to kind of sandbag it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

I'm in for the cost of a hand tailored three-piece tux and a cravat.
    Just don't bury me in it pls ;_;

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    two
    signature.png

signature.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    is shadowrun returns good? Most of the reviews that aren't by somebody who's absolutely in love with the setting seem to kind of sandbag it

I am not in love or terribly knowledgable about the original, but really enjoy what I've played of the tablet version. Will personally hold off on a better discount to get the Steam version in addition tho.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a number of people who don't have this yet, shame on you. Let's fix that.

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    All these people getting and gifting Gunslinger just warms my heart. That's one of those games like Half Life 2 and Bioshock Infinite that I would love to be able to play again for the first time.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Thank you very much both @DaringDirk and @Shdwcaster for shooting me with a copy of Max Payne 3. <3<3<3
    I'm sorry, Shdwcaster, but Dirk's bullet hit my game bank just a few minutes before yours did but I was away when it happened.
    I hope you can find old Max a nice home (not a hard task since, who would not want that endearing alcoholic and violent ex-cop in his/her life?).

Huh. In my line of business, you learn to shoot first, and think about the mess you leave behind later. Better yet, wash the bitter pills of forgetfulness down with some cheap whisky to avoid thinking about it at all. So I shot first, and consider it a 'win', while some poor bastard has to collect the bodies. Maybe I won't wake up tomorrow, wouldn't bother me none. But if I DO wake up, it'll just be to more of the same...

I told myself that gift targets were like buses: Miss one, wait a few minutes, and another will show up. It numbed the pain a little. Not as much as my friend Jack did, but a little. Jack's a good friend though. Doesn't say much, helps me forget all the missed opportunities... Damn it, empty again. Time to hit the corner liquor store for another bottle.

Just watch yourself, my friend. Believe me, I know. Once you go down that road, you pick up speed, because it all starts to go downhill. And there is no bottom, for every bottle you drink there's another to buy, or steal. You lose yourself, because you WANT to lose your sorry excuse for a self. You make no friends, and every corner you turn, every person you run into, they could be the last. That guy there, is he really reachin for a light in his pocket for a cigarette? Or is that a gift with your name on it, the last gift you'll ever receive? And in just a couple of weeks it will all start again, another sale, another daily, another flash...

The trouble with looking in a bottle to get away from the monsters in your head, is that sometimes you find another monster at the bottom of the bottle. Sometimes, it turns out that monster is you. And sometimes, @ HiT BiT gifts you Papa & Yo just for trying to pass your monsters on to him.

Someday, somehow, I'll pay him back. I don't know when, but the last thing he's going to hear is the "Ping" of an incoming gift pop-up.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

I'm in for the cost of a hand tailored three-piece tux and a cravat.
    Just don't bury me in it pls ;_;

We don't bury people on this ship. We just toss the pieces out the nearest airlock.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Snuck back into the bathroom to thanks @DaringDirk for Gunslinger. Now everyone thinks I have IBS.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa, not knowing there was a sale was not an excuse to start gifting me stuff! And considering my lack of participation in this thread lately, I totally don't deserve it.

HOWEVER!

Thank you @muppetman for Risen 2: Dark Waters, and thank you @an_alt for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I thought Gunslinger was a 3rd person thing but the screens look like an FPS of some sort? Is it open worldy or linear level kinda stuff?

This discussion has been closed.