As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Perfect, thanks.

PSN- AHermano
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is that new mutants crossover worth picking up?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Exiled? It's a part of Gillen's JIM story, so I would say yes.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I just finished Civil War book, and I read the Civil war spiderman book a while back. Hoping to pick up a few more (Avengers/Iron Man/Captain America), but after that, is there anything that continues the story? Or does that arc just kind of stop?

PSN: jfrofl
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It stops and moves into Avengers Initiative (Iron Man's main book sticks with him being SHIELD dude), and then New Avengers sets up the next event, Secret Invasion.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Laaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmeeeee. I thought that they eventually gave SHIELD over to some bad guy or something?

PSN: jfrofl
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That is actually the follow up to Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, which is Norman Osborn (the Green Goblin) taking over SHIELD and calling it HAMMER.

• IronxManIronxMan Roosterteeth! Reading, pennsylvaniaRegistered User new member
    I'm reading walking dead, deadpool, and some batman. And hopefully next time I get to the comic store i'll be able to start picking up more like xmen and spiderman

• tomisboredtomisbored Cavalier, NDRegistered User regular
    OK, so I know I have seen posts about this in the past, but can't seem to find anything... I am looking to restart with the fantastic four but I am not sure were to enter in at. Any one have a good suggestion about starting points for a recent (within the last 5 years) starting book/story line ? Also whats the deal with Franklin Richards, I read his wiki page and I thought they killed him off or sent him to an alternate universe etc, etc.

A magician wandered along the beach, but no one needed him.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    you want to read Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF. I believe @Centipede Damascus has a proper reading order, but it's fantastic stuff.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely go with Hickman's Fantastic Four. The first volume of the omnibus just came out and you can find it for $50-60.

Antimatter wrote: »
    you want to read Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF. I believe @Centipede Damascus has a proper reading order, but it's fantastic stuff.

AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely go with Hickman's Fantastic Four. The first volume of the omnibus just came out and you can find it for $50-60.

Awesome, Thanks guys!

As long as I am in here, My newly wed wife wants to get into comics but so far my normal "intro" comics haven't interested her (Bone, Fables, some random Captain America's I had out and the Peter David run on Super Girl I was rereading) any one have any suggestions on a good "hook" book? She really liked the Thor movie ( I think it had more to do with the guy playing Thor) but I am woefully unknowledgeable about Thor besides Betaray Bill. So any suggestions there?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    you want to read Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF. I believe Centipede Damascus has a proper reading order, but it's fantastic stuff.

the reading order for Hickman's F4/FF really isn't that complicated. if you're buying it in trade, the trades are numbered in the order you should read them, although the omnibus really is a great deal.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, then Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman volumes 1-4, FF by Jonathan Hickman volumes 1-2, and then you basically alternate issues of Fantastic Four and FF after that point for volumes 5-6 and 3-4.

OOOHH that looks really good! Even if she doesn't like it I bet I will Thanks.

We were talking about comics tonight and she said she might be interested in Wonder Women, can I pick your collective brains on that one? The wife is also interested in non super hero comics with "strong females". I thought of Luna but I don't remember being a big fan and its a cape wearer as well.

Also does any one have any info on the new Ms. Marvel... I remember reading they are relaunching that title?

With Wonder Woman, the current series by Brian Azzarello is pretty good. The first collection is here: http://amzn.com/140123562X. Other good Wonder Woman stories include Gail Simone on stories like The Circle and Greg Rucka with stories like The Hiketeia.

There's actually a few fairly new comics I can think of about a non-superhero female lead.

Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark - A sci-fi drama about a genetically engineered bodyguard/enforcer for a powerful family.
    Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios - A fantasy Western about a woman who is the half-human daughter of Death. She appears to punish those who oppress the downtrodden.
    Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting - A spy drama. The short pitch is "What happens when Moneypenny is framed for the murder of James Bond?"

As far as the new Ms. Marvel, you can read more about her here. The book is launching in February, and it looks promising. I'd also recommend Captain Marvel, which stars the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers, and is relaunching around the same time.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    tomisbored wrote: »

OOOHH that looks really good! Even if she doesn't like it I bet I will Thanks.

We were talking about comics tonight and she said she might be interested in Wonder Women, can I pick your collective brains on that one? The wife is also interested in non super hero comics with "strong females". I thought of Luna but I don't remember being a big fan and its a cape wearer as well.

Also does any one have any info on the new Ms. Marvel... I remember reading they are relaunching that title?

How's her tolerance for occasionally violent stuff. ( Especially when it's not overdone, or used just for the sake of gore, and contained in an amazing story)

If she doesn't mind a heavier Suspense/Horror type comic, I cannot recommend Locke and Key enough.

on a slightly safer note, but still a pg13+ comic, is Saga by Fiona Staples and Brian Vaughn

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I got her Locke and Key (since I wanted to read that one), the new Hawkeye comics, and since it seems she was digging on Matt Fraction some of the his Iron man run... only problem was didn't leave enough budget for my own comics! If any one cares I can report back after a while with the outcome of your suggestions.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Okay, this seems to be the right thread for it. I read somewhere how a group of people decided to send Hulk away from Earth because he was too dangerous, and then he fights his way back to straighten things out with them. That's Planet Hulk and World War Hulk from what I can see in the first post of the thread, what would I need to read that covers the build up to that?

I'm only really picked up some compilations for Ultimate Spiderman, Walking Dead and Runaways previously, so I'm not sure whether they have something like that for Hulk.

Planet Hulk leads directly into World War hulk, about the only thing you need prior to Planet Hulk is the Preludes ( not sure if those are included in the trades)

Fantastic Four 533-535 is one prelude, but not very necessary, it's just mostly the event that leads to the decision to send hulk away.

Incredible Hulk 88-91 is the Peace in our Time prelude, which is the last earthly mission hulk has, and the mission they use to trick him.

New Avengers Illuminati special was a one shot, it shows the meeting of the illuminati making the decision to send him away, but also not really that needed.

All you really need of the preludes is the Peace in our Time arc of Planet Hulk.

( I have it all in singles, so hopefully someone else who has in trade can answer what of the preludes if any , were added)

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for some good all-ages trades? I'm looking to get a couple for a 5-year-old who's going through a major super hero phase right now.

Bone, Marvel Adventures, Jeff Smith's Shazam and the Monster Society, Mini Marvels, Tiny Titans, Lil' Gotham, Adventure Time

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Any Batman stuff you can find that ties into TAS, like Mad Love. Silver Age stuff like Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (so Marvel Masterworks stuff).

Not super hero books, but Cow Boy and maybe early Bone as well.

steam_sig.png
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Fantastic, I hadn't even thought about the super old stuff. Thanks, @Antimatter and @Bullio!

oh yeah, of course the old stuff

the Essentials stuff is cheaper than the masterworks, albeit in b&w, @Sprout
    i grew up on the essentials Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Thor, and Fantastic Four volumes, they were great

Yeah, when I was a kid the first comics I read were Marvel Masterworks collections of Silver Age stuff from my local library. It's fantastic for young'uns.

I loved Archie comics as a kid too, those forayed me into the later comics as well.

I'll second Bone, and Marvel Adventures also

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Planet Hulk leads directly into World War hulk, about the only thing you need prior to Planet Hulk is the Preludes ( not sure if those are included in the trades)

Fantastic Four 533-535 is one prelude, but not very necessary, it's just mostly the event that leads to the decision to send hulk away.

Incredible Hulk 88-91 is the Peace in our Time prelude, which is the last earthly mission hulk has, and the mission they use to trick him.

New Avengers Illuminati special was a one shot, it shows the meeting of the illuminati making the decision to send him away, but also not really that needed.

All you really need of the preludes is the Peace in our Time arc of Planet Hulk.

( I have it all in singles, so hopefully someone else who has in trade can answer what of the preludes if any , were added)

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for this Tobes.

I finished working my way through the whole thing in a couple of days after it arrived and enjoyed the hell out of it. It definately had a lot more depth than I sort of expected out of the Hulk, which is what sort of interested me about the story going in.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    A friend of mine asked me today about getting my son (who is 5) a Mouse Guard book for Christmas. I couldn't find much online about the reading level or age appropriateness of the Mouse Guard comics, so I'm hoping anyone here has perhaps read them and could give some advice/thoughts? I also have a 2yo (he'll be 3 right after Christmas) son who will likely try to follow along so that is also a consideration.

I did find an excerpt from one of the Mouse Guard comics (I think it was 1152?) where a snake at a mouse and they showed them cutting open snake eggs, a snake, and one of the mice had blood spattered on him. It seemed like it may perhaps be a bit beyond what he may be ready for, but I wasn't sure if that was ordinary or as bad as it gets?

Otherwise, I see some recommendations above for the same age, so I'll start looking into those as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Mouse Guard is pretty good for kids, though maybe 7-10. There is some blood, but typically in the scenario of "killing giant monsters that want to eat us" but otherwise there isnt much, the fights arent the focus of the book. Good on you for asking, very responsible.

I know I would have much rather been exposed to Mouse Guard at 7, than to Watership Down like I actually was at age 7. I'm still messed up from that even today!

"Oh look an animated bunny cartoon, he should be fine watching that"

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I know I would have much rather been exposed to Mouse Guard at 7, than to Watership Down like I actually was at age 7. I'm still messed up from that even today!

"Oh look an animated bunny cartoon, he should be fine watching that"

Haha! You reminded me now that I also was exposed to that about the same age. Horrifying thing!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • RayinerRayiner Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I've been looking for something surrealistic.
    I'm annoyed of these DC & Marvel superhero comics lately.

Rayiner on
    Just coming back to say thanks to every one for the FF suggestions of the Hickman run... man this is some good shizzle, there was so much good stuff in comics I missed from 2000-2012 glad I decided to get back into reading them!

Rayiner wrote: »

@Rayiner

Check these out:
    • East of West by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta
    • Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
    • Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Cannot recommend saga enough.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Rayiner wrote: »

Locke and Key by Joe Hill
    Y:The Last Man by Brian K Vaughn
    Sandman by Neil Gaiman

edited January 2014
    Surreal? Try...most anything from Brandon Graham. Prophet, for starters.

AtomicTofu on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The Private Eye would fit that bill too, and it's very affordable. As affordable as you want it to be, in fact! Digital only pay-what-you-want title from BKV, Marcos Martin, and Muntsa Vicente available over at http://panelsyndicate.com/.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png