As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The best part of [Steam] Thanksgiving sale is DLC sandwiches the next day!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    All these people getting and gifting Gunslinger just warms my heart. That's one of those games like Half Life 2 and Bioshock Infinite that I would love to be able to play again for the first time.

That good huh? I haven't played it yet.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    @Catalese returned fire and dropped me where I stood with an overwhelming barrage of Shadowrun.

You're a classy man good sir, classy indeed.
    This isn't over, it's never over!

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My first foray into using steamgifts:

signature.png

signature.png

A terrifying and scantily explained abyss, and a turn based fantasy game.

signature.png

Apparently I screwed up and this giveaway isn't open for an hour, but also, a post-apocalyptic platformer.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I saw the Quick Look of Gunslinger and played the demo. It seemed pretty neat.

Also, I have too many games on my wishlist to order them. In fact, some of them probably shouldn't be on there any more.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Apparently I screwed up and this giveaway isn't open for an hour, but also, a post-apocalyptic platformer.

I read that as "scantily clad" and then I saw what game it was and realized either way is accurate!

(also, The Void is a really good game with some brilliant mechanics and a wildly imaginative setting, even if it does involve feeding color to women to make them get naked)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Lt. Iolo reporting for duty!

2LtLdSu.jpg

Thanks, @Luchaire! I don't care what color weapon you give me so long as I get to kill damn, dirty xenos with it!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Void definitely has its oddities but it's worth playing. I'm still not sure if learning it by trial and error before spoiling it was actually worth the additional experience or just somewhat frustrating, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Thanks, @Luchaire! I don't care what color weapon you give me so long as I get to kill damn, dirty xenos with it!

Wait, I could have sworn you were Colonel von Assreamer? I need a colonel, not another damn lieutenant!

Shit.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

I read that as "scantily clad" and then I saw what game it was and realized either way is accurate!

(also, The Void is a really good game with some brilliant mechanics and a wildly imaginative setting, even if it does involve feeding color to women to make them get naked)

Does... does that work? :p

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

Yes. That's right. So far I haven't even scored zero. Go me!

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

I'm in for the cost of a hand tailored three-piece tux and a cravat.
    Just don't bury me in it pls ;_;

We don't bury people on this ship. We just toss the pieces out the nearest airlock.

Just looking for names or is there actual multiplayer?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I thought Gunslinger was a 3rd person thing but the screens look like an FPS of some sort? Is it open worldy or linear level kinda stuff?

It is first person, not sure why you would think it was third person, no game in the series has been.

It is absolutely linear, except that occasionally the unreliable narrator will change his mind or have a new recollection and the game will rewind or a mission will take a different path. There is definitely no exploration, though there are 'nuggets of truth' which have background information on the historical figures and incidents referenced in the game hidden in each level.

Combat is highly arcade-like with skillshots, combos, and bullet time. There are lite RPG elements where you get XP for killing copies stylishly and unlock new skills. The framing device of the protagonist telling the story of his adventures and his audience interjecting allows crazy things to happen.

Aside from the story mode there is a pure arcade mode where you just try to shoot your way through a level and beat high scores. There is also a mode devoted entirely to the quick draw gunfights occur as boss fights in the campaign, which are truly unique game design in any shooter.

It's also really beautiful, the visuals strike what is IMO an ideal balance between realism and Borderlands-esque cel-shading.

It is the best short and sweet, self contained, single player shooter experience I have played in a long time.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    When I first saw the name "Steam Marines" in here I immediately thought it was some clever photoshop depicting the denizens of this thread as marines who assault each other's Steam wishlists.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    When I first saw the name "Steam Marines" in here I immediately thought it was some clever photoshop depicting the denizens of this thread as marines who assault each other's Steam wishlists.

That's not a photoshop, that's just a Tuesday.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

/waves the @HiT BiT flag

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

We don't bury people on this ship. We just toss the pieces out the nearest airlock.

No multiplayer, sorry. Just names...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Then throw me into the grinder, Just let me have a fashionable pink hat if possible!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Thank you very much both @DaringDirk and @Shdwcaster for shooting me with a copy of Max Payne 3. <3<3<3
    I'm sorry, Shdwcaster, but Dirk's bullet hit my game bank just a few minutes before yours did but I was away when it happened.
    I hope you can find old Max a nice home (not a hard task since, who would not want that endearing alcoholic and violent ex-cop in his/her life?).

Huh. In my line of business, you learn to shoot first, and think about the mess you leave behind later. Better yet, wash the bitter pills of forgetfulness down with some cheap whisky to avoid thinking about it at all. So I shot first, and consider it a 'win', while some poor bastard has to collect the bodies. Maybe I won't wake up tomorrow, wouldn't bother me none. But if I DO wake up, it'll just be to more of the same...

I told myself that gift targets were like buses: Miss one, wait a few minutes, and another will show up. It numbed the pain a little. Not as much as my friend Jack did, but a little. Jack's a good friend though. Doesn't say much, helps me forget all the missed opportunities... Damn it, empty again. Time to hit the corner liquor store for another bottle.

Just watch yourself, my friend. Believe me, I know. Once you go down that road, you pick up speed, because it all starts to go downhill. And there is no bottom, for every bottle you drink there's another to buy, or steal. You lose yourself, because you WANT to lose your sorry excuse for a self. You make no friends, and every corner you turn, every person you run into, they could be the last. That guy there, is he really reachin for a light in his pocket for a cigarette? Or is that a gift with your name on it, the last gift you'll ever receive? And in just a couple of weeks it will all start again, another sale, another daily, another flash...

The trouble with looking in a bottle to get away from the monsters in your head, is that sometimes you find another monster at the bottom of the bottle. Sometimes, it turns out that monster is you. And sometimes, @ HiT BiT gifts you Papa & Yo just for trying to pass your monsters on to him.

Someday, somehow, I'll pay him back. I don't know when, but the last thing he's going to hear is the "Ping" of an incoming gift pop-up.

Considering the tear stained and bruised source material for Papa & Yo.....

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I thought Gunslinger was a 3rd person thing but the screens look like an FPS of some sort? Is it open worldy or linear level kinda stuff?

It is first person, not sure why you would think it was third person, no game in the series has been.

It is absolutely linear, except that occasionally the unreliable narrator will change his mind or have a new recollection and the game will rewind or a mission will take a different path. There is definitely no exploration, though there are 'nuggets of truth' which have background information on the historical figures and incidents referenced in the game hidden in each level.

Combat is highly arcade-like with skillshots, combos, and bullet time. There are lite RPG elements where you get XP for killing copies stylishly and unlock new skills. The framing device of the protagonist telling the story of his adventures and his audience interjecting allows crazy things to happen.

Aside from the story mode there is a pure arcade mode where you just try to shoot your way through a level and beat high scores. There is also a mode devoted entirely to the quick draw gunfights occur as boss fights in the campaign, which are truly unique game design in any shooter.

It's also really beautiful, the visuals strike what is IMO an ideal balance between realism and Borderlands-esque cel-shading.

It is the best short and sweet, self contained, single player shooter experience I have played in a long time.

Pretty much this. All of it. Great game. Playing it with varying western movie themes is highly recommended.

Or the Young Guns 2 soundtrack.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    What is Steam Marines?

Is it like FTL?

EDIT: no, doesn't look like it. neat looking though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    All these people getting and gifting Gunslinger just warms my heart. That's one of those games like Half Life 2 and Bioshock Infinite that I would love to be able to play again for the first time.

Yes, it's great. Gaslights post above summed up most of the reasons why. If you are at all a fan of westerns, very arcadey first person shooters, and/or the unreliable narrator concept, this game will truly tickle your fancy. It only takes about five hours to play through too, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome and leaves you wanting more.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm at work and just saw the email. Thanks @dyvim for Chainsaw Warrior! Just what I need right now :p

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

Yes, it's great. Gaslights post above summed up most of the reasons why. If you are at all a fan of westerns, very arcadey first person shooters, and/or the unreliable narrator concept, this game will truly tickle your fancy. It only takes about five hours to play through too, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome and leaves you wanting more.

Sounds very "The Darkness 2"-y

Edit - Oh hey $5? Yeah, I'll buy that. Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll let you know what I think after Tuesday.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aaah! After an absolutely awful day at work, I get home and see that @DoctorArch had gifted me Blades of Time. Thanks! I actually saw potential in X-blades, and from what I've heard, blades of time is better, so hey!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Steam Marines reminds me of SOTS:TP

• Options
    Well, that was my best Steam Marines run yet. Commanded by Private Assreamer leading Private @Buttcleft, Private @Sokpuppet, and Private Corrigan (he got drafted)... we lasted all of 14 turns and are still 422 points from reaching the lofty score of ZERO.
    The crew:
    sm1.jpg

Corrigan got blindsided.
    sm2.jpg

Buttcleft zigged when he should have zagged.
    sm3.jpg

Assreamer got reamed.
    sm4.jpg

Final humiliating score.
    sm5.jpg

Time to do it again...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Deadlight, Castle Crashers, Lego Lord of the Rings, Castlevania Lords of Shadow are the new flash deals, no new price changes yet.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Steam Marines reminds me of SOTS:TP

SotS: TP is highly derivative, in the mechanical sense, of older genre titles like Doom RL and Mystery Dungeon.
    It also reminds me a lot of the old Gold Box RPGs like Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Which is an absolute gem, if you can get past the incredibly dated everything.

I keep hoping for Steam releases of Shiren the Wanderer titles...

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    And then @Maguano comes in and hits me over the head with Antichamber!
    Thanks!

Now to duck out of here before anyone else sees me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Accidentally put 3eeve down instead of @GoodKingJayIII when issuing thanks for Dark Souls. Wanted to make sure proper credit was given to his forum name, not just the Steam one!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    is shadowrun returns good? Most of the reviews that aren't by somebody who's absolutely in love with the setting seem to kind of sandbag it

I have yet to actually finish the game, but the writing and presentation is quite excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the combat though, but a lot of that might be balancing issues since the ideal paths seem to be heavy focus on guns or rigging. Particularly decking and rigging as a combination is pretty easy to do, and opens up a lot of extra routes/content in addition to being crazy good at combat. Where as playing my Shaman has been... incredibly underwhelming. And buggy. I've similarly heard there's not a good reason to go melee, but I think they also recently buffed melee adepts.

The game's design is very linear without much options for exploration. The game only has auto-saves due to a limitation where saving in combat caused the AI to freak out. It's strength is it's writing and the availability of custom campaigns, but it is a very limited game in many ways that could certainly use a decent amount of work.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Well, that was my best Steam Marines run yet. Commanded by Private Assreamer leading Private @Buttcleft, Private @Sokpuppet, and Private Corrigan (he got drafted)... we lasted all of 14 turns and are still 422 points from reaching the lofty score of ZERO.
    The crew:
    sm1.jpg

Corrigan got blindsided.
    sm2.jpg

Buttcleft zigged when he should have zagged.
    sm3.jpg

Assreamer got reamed.
    sm4.jpg

Final humiliating score.
    sm5.jpg

Time to do it again...

My long rifle penetrates everyone.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    finally threw about 10 minutes into Krater which I got who knows how long ago

pretty cool game! so far feels like a pretty regular arpg except you're controlling 3 (so far) cahracters at once.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Since I haven't actually bought anything for myself yet this sale, should I get Shadowrun Returns or State of Decay?

If it matters, I don't have any prior knowledge of the Shadowrun setting.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Since I haven't actually bought anything for myself yet this sale, should I get Shadowrun Returns or State of Decay?

Absolutely.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Steam Thread Community Service Sale Announcement

I picked these up earlier today but just noticed this; Wizardry 8 is 50% off making it 4.99US.

Wizardry 6 and 7 bundled together are half off for 2.49US.

The bundle with all three? 75% off making it 3.74US.

They are giving you a buck and a quarter to get Wizardry 6 and 7 along with Wizardry 8. You know what to do. Go get your free money.

Drake on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Not only is he just a Lieutenant, @Luchaire, but he's just a desk weeny lieutenant at that. :D

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Then throw me into the grinder, Just let me have a fashionable pink hat if possible!

And my axe!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    After getting out of Thor II, severely bummed that Kat Dennings isn't on a better television show that I might actually enjoy watching, I checked my phone to see a deluge of gifts!

I'm going by Steam names, so if I miss your name completely, that's really your own fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YZDbeu2li8

Anyway,
    @HukTonFonyX quickly fires a copy of Gunslinger through my hat, knocking it to the ground
    @FireBird tells me to look over there, pushes me down, and drops a copy of Really Big Sky on my head
    @Shade teaches me how to crush 'em with FF7!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Absolutely.

That doesn't really help me much, since I should only buy one for now.

• Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    So...Rome II. Any good? Because I see it's on sale, and by god, I love Rome.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
This discussion has been closed.