As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The best part of [Steam] Thanksgiving sale is DLC sandwiches the next day!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Since I haven't actually bought anything for myself yet this sale, should I get Shadowrun Returns or State of Decay?

Absolutely.

That doesn't really help me much, since I should only buy one for now.

State of Decay then. Some-or-much of the appeal of Shadowrun Returns is dependent on having a pre-existing love of the setting (I do, therefore I love the game but...).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, I was not home in time for Gunslinger. Oh well. Next time.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I remember playing a demo or something of this deadlight game. was kinda cool iirc.

and a lego game. I've never played a lego game.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    is shadowrun returns good? Most of the reviews that aren't by somebody who's absolutely in love with the setting seem to kind of sandbag it

I have yet to actually finish the game, but the writing and presentation is quite excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the combat though, but a lot of that might be balancing issues since the ideal paths seem to be heavy focus on guns or rigging. Particularly decking and rigging as a combination is pretty easy to do, and opens up a lot of extra routes/content in addition to being crazy good at combat. Where as playing my Shaman has been... incredibly underwhelming. And buggy. I've similarly heard there's not a good reason to go melee, but I think they also recently buffed melee adepts.

The game's design is very linear without much options for exploration. The game only has auto-saves due to a limitation where saving in combat caused the AI to freak out. It's strength is it's writing and the availability of custom campaigns, but it is a very limited game in many ways that could certainly use a decent amount of work.

I did melee at launch and not only was it viable, it was pretty easy. You do pretty great damage as a melee dude.

Anyway, yes, Shadowrun Returns is good. I highly enjoyed it. The writing is excellent and sucks you into the world. It is pretty linear, but that's not really a bad thing. Recommended :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

Yes. That's right. So far I haven't even scored zero. Go me!

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

I'm in for the cost of a hand tailored three-piece tux and a cravat.
    Just don't bury me in it pls ;_;

We don't bury people on this ship. We just toss the pieces out the nearest airlock.

Just looking for names or is there actual multiplayer?

No multiplayer, sorry. Just names...

Then throw me into the grinder, Just let me have a fashionable pink hat if possible!

And my axe!

Look I've played this game. I don't think you guys have any idea just what the fuck you are volunteering for.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I just finished a game of Steam Marines. In exiting after the embarrassing total wipe of my crew, I saw that I had achieved a new personal high score:

(In related news: I am currently hiring a crew for a space mission. The pay sucks, but you get stylish steampunk outfits. Any takers?)

We don't bury people on this ship. We just toss the pieces out the nearest airlock.

Then throw me into the grinder, Just let me have a fashionable pink hat if possible!

And my axe!

Look I've played this game. I don't think you guys have any idea just what the fuck you are volunteering for.

All I know is that I came waaaaaay to late to the game for Fishman's XCOM LP, and I don't think I ever accomplished anything in Chiasaur's TftD LP, so, dammit, I am going to sign up early for this one.

• Options
    So...Rome II. I see it's on sale, and by god, I want somebody to gift it to me please.

Figured this shouldn't be BOTP'd.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So...Rome II. I see it's on sale, and by god, I want somebody to gift it to me please.

I'd say get it. I've been wanting it since it came out and 50% off is pretty nice, so I picked it up as soon as I saw it. I'm a total sucker for Total War games, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I remember hearing there were massive issues that may or may not have been patched out.

If it's okay now, it apparently certainly was not at launch.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular

Oh, you are clever. Even I read the quote twice and didn't realize it.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So...Rome II. Any good? Because I see it's on sale, and by god, I love Rome.

Since nobody else will be that guy,I will.

When in Rome!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

And my axe!

I was promised a steampunk suit to die in and that's good enough for me.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I remember playing a demo or something of this deadlight game. was kinda cool iirc.

Deadlight starts out strong and then takes a quick and irrevocable detour into shit-town.

$3 might be worth it for that first bit alone, just feel free to quit the game when you think "Damn, this sewer level just keeps going..."

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Thanks @Dyvim Tvar for some Pacmanney goodness. Sorry I didnt respond right away, was Dark Souling, which can notably be pretty intense.

• Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    @Pierceneck could not help but see @Luchaire's clever edit and act accordingly.
    [img][/img]6o4er3n.png
    [img][/img]DVqH0qy.png
    L5eyxuJ.png
    FO2r81A.png

You people...are too classy. It shames me.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    larva mortus also a good time. love me some top down shooters... played a bunch of splatter on desura and I think it's on steam greenlight

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Did Shadowrun ever patch the whole "You can't save whenever you feel like it" thing that everyone complained about?

That's about the only thing holding me back from buying it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

And my axe!

If you need more cannon

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Did Shadowrun ever patch the whole "You can't save whenever you feel like it" thing that everyone complained about?

It's being fixed when the expansion launches, which is supposed to be in January.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    is shadowrun returns good? Most of the reviews that aren't by somebody who's absolutely in love with the setting seem to kind of sandbag it

I have yet to actually finish the game, but the writing and presentation is quite excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the combat though, but a lot of that might be balancing issues since the ideal paths seem to be heavy focus on guns or rigging. Particularly decking and rigging as a combination is pretty easy to do, and opens up a lot of extra routes/content in addition to being crazy good at combat. Where as playing my Shaman has been... incredibly underwhelming. And buggy. I've similarly heard there's not a good reason to go melee, but I think they also recently buffed melee adepts.

The game's design is very linear without much options for exploration. The game only has auto-saves due to a limitation where saving in combat caused the AI to freak out. It's strength is it's writing and the availability of custom campaigns, but it is a very limited game in many ways that could certainly use a decent amount of work.

I did melee at launch and not only was it viable, it was pretty easy. You do pretty great damage as a melee dude.

Anyway, yes, Shadowrun Returns is good. I highly enjoyed it. The writing is excellent and sucks you into the world. It is pretty linear, but that's not really a bad thing. Recommended :D

Ah, then feel free to ignore that. Haven't tried melee myself, I just remember reading that it's kind of outclassed by guns.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    @Pierceneck could not help but see @Luchaire's clever edit and act accordingly.
    [img][/img]6o4er3n.png
    [img][/img]DVqH0qy.png
    L5eyxuJ.png
    FO2r81A.png

You people...are too classy. It shames me.

/sniff

This brought a tear to my eye.

I <3@Pierceneck ...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Since I haven't actually bought anything for myself yet this sale, should I get Shadowrun Returns or State of Decay?

Absolutely.

That doesn't really help me much, since I should only buy one for now.

State of Decay then. Some-or-much of the appeal of Shadowrun Returns is dependent on having a pre-existing love of the setting (I do, therefore I love the game but...).

State of Decay it is, then. Thanks :)

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    And with that, I'm done for the rest of this sale. Later!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    And with that, I'm done for the rest of this sale. Later!

Target acquired..

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hey everybody. Pardon a jetlagged fellow still recovering from Thanksgiving/birthday celebration, as I lack the state of mind to appraise State of Decay: Is SoD as awesome in execution as it is conceptually? I gather it's a mix of running from hordes of zombies while building up fortifications and helping out other people, but does it all work well, or are there any headaches I should know about? I'm already snagging a few other things (fuck yeah Wizardry bundle) but I want to know if there's a general go-ahead to add that to the cart.

Also, have you people bought Shadowrun Returns, and if not are you aware there is a void in your soul?

Edit: Also, belated thanks to @Luchaire and company for clearing up Bleed. An off-forum (or are you?) buddy of mine nailed me with that, The Shivah, and Monaco, and Bleed was the only one I didn't know much about. Remembered hearing it was awesome, though, and it sure looks the part, albeit in a "hope you remember how to not suck at Contra" sort of way. Oh well, the struggle is the glory.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

It's being fixed when the expansion launches, which is supposed to be in January.

Good, a reason to hold off.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Holy crap. I think I played X3:AP for about 10 hours today while being sick and having delicious DLC sandwiches.

Reality is bent.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Hey everybody. Pardon a jetlagged fellow still recovering from Thanksgiving/birthday celebration,.
    another birthanksgivmakkuah? you don't say...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Kinda bummed that XCOM and Shadowrun both took this strategy, the "massive problem gets fixed in the thing you have to pay for" strategy.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Oh, also I got a 40% off Company of Heroes 2 coupon that stacks, taking it down to $11.99 USD. If anyone wants it. Just PM or shoot me a trade request.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Well I thought I was out of here.
    Damn you, @DaringDirk
    ohp32hQ.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So Steam Marines is entertaining... but why randomized stats? It's a little odd when I can have two of the same class, and one starts with 7 AP and 6 range and the other starts with 5 AP and 4 range.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    So right as I was posting that last one....
    @akajaybay happened.
    upB7q2K.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I just got the strangest Steam notification ...

CB9ag6z.jpg

Thanks for Bleed, @Berylline! <3

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Kinda bummed that XCOM and Shadowrun both took this strategy, the "massive problem gets fixed in the thing you have to pay for" strategy.

TBH I never really had an issue with the lack of saving in Shadowrun (besides the obvious "I don't really feel like playing anymore" conundrum). The combat isn't hard enough that you're constantly dying and restarting, I think I only died once for the whole duration and it wasn't at the end.

However the lack of saves really shows when playing combat-heavy mods. I put about 40 mins into a 5-starred one in the Steam Workshop that had me very, very slowly punch about 20 dudes to death only to be killed by some enormously powerful wizard, then being forced to repeat it from the start. The writing was pretty darn good but I've only got one life to live for goodness sake.

I don't believe it to be a dealbreaker for the main campaign, but it'd certainly be a welcome addition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    @Firebird, a fellow Texan and a very classy fellow, bestowed the gift of Dead Pixels upon me. Truly, your generosity knows no bounds! Thanks!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

Actually, saving anywhere is getting patched back into the main game (for Shadowrun, that is).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    TeeMan wrote: »

TBH I never really had an issue with the lack of saving in Shadowrun (besides the obvious "I don't really feel like playing anymore" conundrum). The combat isn't hard enough that you're constantly dying and restarting, I think I only died once for the whole duration and it wasn't at the end.

However the lack of saves really shows when playing combat-heavy mods. I put about 40 mins into a 5-starred one in the Steam Workshop that had me very, very slowly punch about 20 dudes to death only to be killed by some enormously powerful wizard, then being forced to repeat it from the start. The writing was pretty darn good but I've only got one life to live for goodness sake.

I don't believe it to be a dealbreaker for the main campaign, but it'd certainly be a welcome addition.

That's pretty much my stance on it, too. I very much enjoyed the built-in campaign, which has enough map transitions that dying in combat or quitting abruptly doesn't put you back too far. Some of the user-created stuff is pretty good, but it's also not often built around this limitation. An actual saving feature would be a serious boon, and I'm glad they're implementing it.

Edit: The custom content kind of requires a long-term approach, in my opinion. People are still making mods for stuff like Baldur's Gate, and I've no doubt the Shadowrun community is going to be coming up with stuff for a while. It could take years for the truly interesting stuff to emerge, but the game definitely is (or will be) more than just the official campaigns - and that'll be a reason to revisit it down the line.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    God I'm a dumb. I mean sure, drop that game on the wishlist before taking a nap because you've already been in trouble with Luchaire once this sale. But maybe you should pause and think before you just announce it to the whole thread.

Idjit.

psyck0steammarines_zps7f325f6e.jpg

Thanks @Psyck0! If what's been said about 10x the difficulty of XCOM is true, and catching up on the thread and witnessing the demise of many a classy PAer indicates it is, I'm sure to provide a near infinite supply of nourishment.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.