As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA75OACyL78

Spelunky is a platformer where you play an interpid adventurer who enters a cave looking for treasure. The twist is that the game randomely generates the levels each time, and it's balls hard. Success in Spelunky comes not from the quick reflexes it takes to jump on spiders or whip bats but rather from foresight, resource management, and good decision making. Spelunky 2 is the same, except you play as the daughter of the adventurer, on the moon, and there are other new things.

Spelunky is awesome because you can play it basically forever. It has a ton of things to learn, like most roguelike-likes, so much of your time is spednt figuring out what various enemies or items do, how to navigate certain traps, and so forth. Then, as your skills improve, you realize the game is much deeper than you thought, and you begin to play differently. Finally, the game has all sorts of secrets which give you ways to beat the game more impressively or visit secret levels and so on. It's different each time you play and constantly evolving along with your skills. Spelunky 2 is also that.

Even better, all the various elements of the game, which are at their heart simple, combine in unexpected ways to add serious depth and unexpected hilarity. An errant rock pushed by your bomb rebounds off the wall, striking you in the head and causing you to fall, unconscious, onto an altar to Kali, so the dark goddess immediately accepts the sacrifice and ends your life, and your run. Or you throw an error from a dodged trap at a snake, only to miss and hit an exploding frog, whose death kills a pug and angers the shopkeeper that was selling licks from the pug. The shopkeeper chases after you with a shotgun until you die. Spelunky 2 has that sort of thing too.

Or, in other words, this is Spelunky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcy6RhoV8Is

Spelunky begas as a free Windows game which is much like the game we have now, but with less stuff in it and pixel graphics. The next version, Spelunky HD (or just "Spelunky"), came out on consoles and PC. It costs money and it has updated hand-drawn graphics, along with a ton of new stuff. It's pretty dope. Spelunky 2 is also out on consoles and PC and also has hand-drawn graphics.

One cool thing about Spelunky is the Daily Challenge. Each day, every play can play it: you get one go on a randomly generated map which is the same for every player. Compete against your friends list to score the highest on the daily challenge! Ditto for Spelunky 2.

So let's play the Daily Challenge! Every day! Until we die! Or get bored!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zcS7SxfKUQ

TychoCelchuuu on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So to get the discussion started:

Cool Stuff:
    Bananasaurus Rex Solo Eggplant Run
    Bananasaurus Rex kills the fucking ghost

My Progress
    I just bought Spelunky today and aside from playing the free version a bit this is my first time playing it (although I've watched Idle Thumbs stream it so I know a fair amount about the game).

I'm terrible at the game. I recorded myself on my first daily challenge and I lasted about 3 minutes. It's uploading right now and I'll post it here. You should do the same! Let's get a feel for how people are doing. I can't talk much about today's challenge since, hey, 3 minutes, but it did give me the climby gloves and a web gun pretty fast, so maybe it was a good run for some people? I've heard some people don't like the climby gloves because they can make you grab a wall when you don't want to. And then die. Because this is Spelunky.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Welcome to the Jungle.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I got the game on Steam today too. The stuff I got at the beginning of the daily challenge seemed pretty good! Too bad I screwed it up pretty early. I don't even remember what killed me.

I was probably fatigued from my first regular run which got me to the UFO level, where I was killed by the exit when a turret somehow fell on me and exploded.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ikKREYSIc

(Some mild spoilers in the video. Mostly on unlockable stuff)

Don't take naps on Kali's altar, ladies and gents.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    edited November 2013
    Don't know if it's highlighted, but last night Bananasaurus Rex did a high-score run on the daily challenge and took it the whole way, even going so far as to
    get himself perma-ghosted by pissing off Kali so that he could turn the rubies under Yama into diamonds.

After killing Yama and ghosting the rubies, instead of winning the game he decides to use the lava at the bottom of the room to kill the ghost just for kicks. In the attempt, he accidentally whiffs an input on a rope and ends up Climbing Gloved to the wall, where the ghost devours his soul.

I laughed so hard I cried :)

Of course, he still topped the leaderboard by a margin of $200,000 or so.

Sokpuppet on
    My very first daily challenge run. It went... well... just watch I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVphbnRvt4A

Eventually you'll master aiming the bomb so it hits the web right beneath the giant spider. :)

What time of the day does the daily challenge switch over? I accidentally did tomorrow's challenge about an hour ago.

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    I think the daily challenges are running off of UTC time maybe?

Some quick tips I find useful
    • Never whip a pot unless it's from a distance. Best to pick them up and use them as weapons.
    • Always try to carry something. A rock, pot, rat, (broken) arrow. Any of these can be used to trigger the shooting arrow heads.
    • Don't be afraid of dying (outside of the daily challenge). You'll die probably several hundred times before completing your first run. Every time you die you'll probably learn something new.
    • You can carry pots/rocks/arrows between caves so bring something with you if you can through a level. You might need it when you enter the next one.
    • Don't anger the shopkeeper (until you know how to deal with them)

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Well...look on the bright side. Your estimation of how long you'd live was pretty good!

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Well...look on the bright side. Your estimation of how long you'd live was pretty good!
    Yeah I'm actually sort of perversely proud of that.

This game has gotten its hooks into me, deep. I bought it today and I already have 2.3 hours played. I've gotten much better! I definitely don't whip pots from point blank anymore (nor do I do that in the game). A discovery: this game is even better if you turn the music volume down to zero and instead play the Indiana Jones movie scores in the background.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I had some sort of climbing tool. Why I chose to try to outrun the boulder, I'll never know.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Urrrgh, I blew it. This thread made me go for my first daily run in months. I stupidly got myself battered down to 1 HP in the first stratum, but I came back from it. Robbed the Black Market, but stupidly forgot to go back for the Hedjet. I guess it was for the best, though, because I got smashed by a Thwomp on the first level of the temple (which cost me the jetpack, of course). I still mined out a decent portion of the temple levels. At the bottom of 4-2, I stuck a bomb to a shopkeeper and he ran off and exploded offscreen. I went to replace my useless scepter with his shotgun and noticed an idol in a half-blown-up room. I forgot the temple idol rules and thought the room was already triggered from the explosion, so I foolishly picked it up. I tried to bomb my way out, but there wasn't enough time, so I had to dodge to a blown-out section to the left and wound up sealed in a 1x1-space tomb with no escape.

298,125 and #79 for the time being, which I guess isn't too terrible. I was sure I was in for an easy 4-4 clear when I hit the temple with a jetpack and a bajillion bombs, though.

I had some sort of climbing tool. Why I chose to try to outrun the boulder, I'll never know.

I usually just place a rope nearby and climb it after grabbing the idol.

I find that it's almost never appropriate to get the idols in the first area in the remake. It seems like 90% of the time it will destroy a shop and the other 10% of the time it'll still destroy as much or more loot than you get. I guess you can fully explore the level, make double sure there's no shop, and then go back for it, but that usually costs multiple ropes that you don't have yet so early.

Times I killed myself with a rock tonight: one. Times I injured myself with a rock tonight: that information is classified.

• Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    I am not very good at this game.

Spent a little time with it last night, and (among many, many other deaths) died the following unexpected ways:

* While figuring out how to avoid the arrows from arrow traps, jumped down past one far enough away from it to avoid the arrow... only to be killed when the arrow struck a wall and bounced back and downwards, skewering me in the head.

* The first idol I found, I somehow miraculously avoided both the boulder and the hordes of spiders that descended upon me. Made my way down to the end of the level, and lo and behold, a few short paces from the exit, there's the idol, wedged underneath the boulder at the end of its path of destruction. Overwhelmed by greed, I placed a bombo underneath the boulder, and retreated to a safe distance.

The bomb propelled the boulder back towards me, crushing me instantly.

* While this death wasn't mine... the 3rd or 4th damsel I found in the mines was separated from me by a short length of rock wall. That's no problem when you have bombs! Blasted my way through to her, even though the bomb was placed a little closer than I had intended. Picked her up off of the ground, and, after carrying her for a while, noticed that I didn't see the stars circling her head that I had seen on previous damsels. It wasn't until I saw my kill list on the summary screen that I realized that I had been carrying her severed head around like some sort of grisly trophy. What kind of madness have I been driven to down here in the caves?!?!

Did anyone play the daily today? How far did you get? I didn't get overly far - my run is uploading to YouTube right now and I'll post it later.

I accidentally did today's run yesterday, and I did terribly.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I died a humiliating death.

Well, let me take that back. I died many humiliating deaths. One of them happened to be on the Daily.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I managed to beat the game for the first time, after around two hundred runs, on Friday night

Let me say something about Spelunky: it is the only game I can ever remember playing that has made me furious to the point of verbally expressing my frustration at the computer. I got spelunk'd* in the temple after an amazing run down and I threw my controller down and swore loudly enough that someone came up from the other end of the house to make sure I hadn't somehow grievously injured myself.

and now I have to try going for a Hell Run

*spelunk'd, v. - to be killed in a manner that wasn't entirely the game's fault, but you didn't see coming

I too died in a way that does not suggest nobility or poise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVAxE04E6wQ

I too died in a way that does not suggest nobility or poise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVAxE04E6wQ

That'll teach you to throw rocks in a shopkeeper's direction!

The great thing about Spelunky is how it always feels like you're learning something. For example, today I learned not to use a mining pick on a floor tile within the bounds of a shopkeeper's store.

simonwolf wrote: »
    I managed to beat the game for the first time, after around two hundred runs, on Friday night

Let me say something about Spelunky: it is the only game I can ever remember playing that has made me furious to the point of verbally expressing my frustration at the computer. I got spelunk'd* in the temple after an amazing run down and I threw my controller down and swore loudly enough that someone came up from the other end of the house to make sure I hadn't somehow grievously injured myself.

and now I have to try going for a Hell Run

*spelunk'd, v. - to be killed in a manner that wasn't entirely the game's fault, but you didn't see coming

Pshh.
    It took me a little over 1200 runs for my first Olmec kill.
    I spend way too much time trying fancy stuff like speedruns...

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I haven't been doing commentary, but I've been recording my daily challenge runs for a few weeks now.

It'd be great if I could get some people on my friends list that could eventually challenge my daily overall score.

Did anyone play the daily today? How far did you get? I didn't get overly far - my run is uploading to YouTube right now and I'll post it later.

I think the last run I posted about would have been the same one (it resets at...7:00 EST, I believe). There was a jetpack in either the shop you died in or the next one and loads of bombs in the black market. I don't recall anything else spectacular about the seed.

I think I may try my hand at recording some of my daily runs too. Not sure if I'll try recording with commentary just yet, though.

• Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    I killed Olmec a few times in Spelunky classic. I haven't played HD nearly as much, but all three times that I've reached him have led to the same fate; I bomb my way down through the floor, drop him in the lava, then get hit by a bat and fall in the lava with him and die.

Once or twice would have been funny, three out of three times is just embarrassing. Stupid bats.

Always be ready to nail things above you with a rope. Rope is cheap and plentiful.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Been playing this game much more now they patched daily challenges into the vita and PS3 versions. Only problem is that I have to be at home to play a daily challenge as it's the place where my vita has a network connection :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Always be ready to nail things above you with a rope. Rope is cheap and plentiful.

Except when it isn't.

The cape and the jetpack make ropes unnecessary in a lot of situations, but once in a while you might end up in a position where you're out of ropes and wish you had one.

Of course it also happens that you get ropes in five crates in a row and you're wondering where all the bombs are.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    The first-and-only time I defeated Olmec, I was so excited that I didn't notice the scorpion that pounced at me as I was exiting the pit

I was extremely relieved when my stunned spelunker managed to land on a piece of ground and not fall into the lava

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    How are you guys recording your daily runs?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I picked up the Vita version of this today, and it's really catching me. I've had the PC version for a while, but for whatever reason it wasn't quite working to get me interested. Being able to murder myself with makeshift Rube Goldberg machines of spike traps and hurled rocks is really satisfying in handheld form!

How are you guys recording your daily runs?
    I use DXTory, but other options are FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, nVidia Shadowplay, and Open Broadcaster Software.

I don't remember if I did today's daily challenge last night, but it's not letting me do a daily challenge cause it's searching for...something.

steam_sig.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dear Journal,

After dying, I must remember that I no longer have a jetpack.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dear Journal: Trying to be cocky and ghosting the vault when you haven't properly cleared the area of spikes is a bad idea.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Dear Journal,

[Tycho adds another hatch mark next to "do not accidentally jump on spikes"]

So I got this monkey that poops jewels.

steam_sig.png

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I purchased Spelunky while it was one of the Steam Flash Sales yesterday and, after spending a couple of hours to warm up and learn the basics, ended up with a score of $45100 on the daily challenge (dated 2013/12/01). Not bad for a first attempt, but I'm looking forward to seeing how my scores improve with more time with the game.

4463rwiq7r47.png