As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade] Founders packs are live

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    the f2p orks should have un-unequipable pink bows on their heads, problem solved

815165 on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Bows? That sounds like it's against lore. Now, pink hair squigs is a thing I could get behind.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Well, now i'll be really disappointed if I can't have a pretty pink bow for my Ork :(

t5qfc9.jpg
  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Heh, I just brought up the topic of female chaos space marines on the official forums and some people get really upset at the idea. B)

I mean, I can't personally see a reason why there couldn't be female CHAOS Space Marines. If you've spent a few millennia in the reality twisting warp you'd think a change of genders wouldn't be out of the question. I don't think they even make new chaos marines in the same way the imperium made marines

I just figured this was an interesting topic because the regular Space Marines are 100% male and the orks, while technically a fungus, are also obviously male. That only leaves the Eldar for women characters or as I'm hoping, Chaos as well. Otherwise we'll end up with 3 of the 4 factions as sausage fests
    Are you serious? I know that gender equality is a popular thing now, but it's not for Space Marines. There are, however, female Imperial Guardsmen and female Inquisitors.

steam_sig.png
    I'm not talking about gender equality and i've seen no good argument against female chaos space marines at all

And the imperial guard isnt in this game

t5qfc9.jpg
    I'm not talking about gender equality and i've seen no good argument against female chaos space marines at all

And the imperial guard isnt in this game
    Well, maybe it's male Space Marines will be more massive and more strong that female ones. And you don't need another mark of power armor just for females.

steam_sig.png
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Femaleish Chaos space marines would make a bit of sense for Slaanesh. Not so much normal Space Marines. Orks are a-sexual. Eldar, yeah.

I'm wondering if they'll be adding anymore Imperiaum factions into the game later and how that will work. Maybe throw them in as classes and add more classes to the other sides? Soroitas could work as a class.

Pretty sure "chaos magic" negates the idea that men are always stronger than women. And yeah I'm only speaking Chaos here. They wouldn't need new power armor, just a different face and voice

t5qfc9.jpg
    At least there's not any mentions of female Space Marines in lore.

steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Redthirst wrote: »

Essentially Battle Sisters?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Sisters of Battle are a bit different. Their power armor and augmentation isn't as powerful but they make up for some of it with zealotry and faith based crazyness. Sisters of Battle and Orks are my favourite factions out of all of them and I really hope they add SoB eventually <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    If there is no lore to support changes, I would advise against making a female version of everything.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    There's no specific lore about it and there's no specific lore against it

Personally I think it fits CHAOS to be chaotic and include things that the imperium does not have

t5qfc9.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I thought all the CSM were just converted Space Marines. ie, Chaos doesn't create their own marines/train them up from the regular plebs. So there would have to be female marines first. So I could see Chaos sisters of battle in that sense, but I had also thought that the Space Marines were a-sexual since they were bioengineered. At least the original ones were. Or is that old fluff that's been retconned out?

edited December 2013
    They do make their own marines nowadays though it's a messy and ridiculously disturbing procedure

But even with the old traitor legions you still have the fact that they spent the last 10.000 years inside a reality altering timespace (the warp)and serve under gods who like to warp and change the form of their minions... so yeah

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    Malkor wrote: »
    Redthirst wrote: »

Essentially Battle Sisters?
    Sisters of Battle aren't actually Space Marines. They're ordinal humans, with great training and discipline and a power armor designed for them. And if by the will of Slaanesh or Architect of Fate one of the Chaos Space Marines will turn into female, I doubt it will be female in the traditional sense, so there still be low voice, and helmet will hide face.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to see how they will create Chaos faction in game. Because it's hard to get all Chaos forces fight together. There are rivalries between Chaos gods(like Tzeentch hates Nurgle and Khorne hates Slaanesh), so it's hard to imagine all of the Chaos forces fighting alongside each other.

Besides, there are a few Legions which will be hard to implement. World Eaters are known for killing everything they see, including their own fellow World Eaters.
    And there's also Thousand Sons, where all of their non-psykers are just a spirits trapped inside their power armor, who can't fight without Sorcerer.

And yeah - double post, sorry about that.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
    When the chaos factions stop warring and unite to go on a crusde they call it "Chaos Undivided". It's usually just a temporary alliance but it happens every now and then. In the lore it's usually Abaddon who leads this stuff
    Abaddon the Despoiler, once named Ezekyle Abaddon, is the Warmaster of Chaos, a Chaos Lord and the greatest Champion of Chaos Undivided in the galaxy. He is the commander of the Black Legion of Chaos Space Marines and is rumoured to be the clone-progeny of the Warmaster Horus, the greatest Traitor in Imperial history, and at one time his most favoured son amongst the Space Marines of the Sons of Horus Legion. He is now infamous for leading Black Crusades, the terrible military campaigns during which the normally fractious Forces of Chaos unite under his leadership and launch a massive attack against the Imperium from within the Eye of Terror. The most recent of these attacks, the 13th Black Crusade in 999.M41, led to the partial capture of the vital Imperial Fortress World of Cadia and an expansion of Chaos-controlled space into Imperial territory for the first time since the Horus Heresy.

t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2013
    When the chaos factions stop warring and unite to go on a crusde they call it "Chaos Undivided". It's usually just a temporary alliance but it happens every now and then. In the lore it's usually Abaddon who leads this stuff
    Abaddon the Despoiler, once named Ezekyle Abaddon, is the Warmaster of Chaos, a Chaos Lord and the greatest Champion of Chaos Undivided in the galaxy. He is the commander of the Black Legion of Chaos Space Marines and is rumoured to be the clone-progeny of the Warmaster Horus, the greatest Traitor in Imperial history, and at one time his most favoured son amongst the Space Marines of the Sons of Horus Legion. He is now infamous for leading Black Crusades, the terrible military campaigns during which the normally fractious Forces of Chaos unite under his leadership and launch a massive attack against the Imperium from within the Eye of Terror. The most recent of these attacks, the 13th Black Crusade in 999.M41, led to the partial capture of the vital Imperial Fortress World of Cadia and an expansion of Chaos-controlled space into Imperial territory for the first time since the Horus Heresy.
    Chaos Undivided is another faction of Chaos. They worship Chaos as a whole. It's not the condition when all of the Chaos forces are fighing together, it's just another way to worship Chaos. Abaddon with his Black Legion, and a bunch of other Traitor Legion worship Chaos Undivided. And while he can unite all Chaos forces to launch a Black Crusade, these forces will still continue to fight each other. Remember that it's Chaos gods who are fighing, not their mortal minions. And there is no way Abaddon can unite them - he's a mere mortal, not even Primarch, not even Daemon Prince.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    People who make a stink about "gender equality" when talking about CSM/SM are a couple things:

First, they are ignorant of the canon.
    Second, they continue to be ignorant of the canon and speak before doing any kind of research.
    Third, they are pot stirrers.

Quit stirring the pot. That's not your job.

Here's a really quick explanation:
    The Emperor designed and built the Primarchs (the first true super humans) in his image. That technology was then used as a framework for creating the space marines. Since the Emperor based the technology upon the male human (which he is), male humans are used to make these super humans.

It's deeply important to realize that within the world of 40k, the space marine is no longer a human. The genetic engineering which goes into making an apex human into a Space Marine pretty much makes them something else. They are the defenders of humanity. They are not sexual, they are not "male or female", they are...

Space Marines.

Anon the Felon on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Correct me if i'm wrong but the factions they have in the game, ie Black Legion, Night Lords, Iron warriors and the Word Bearers are all Chaos undivided anyway

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    People who make a stink about "gender equality" when talking about CSM/SM are a couple things:

Second, they continue to be ignorant of the canon and speak before doing any kind of research.

No one is speaking about gender equality

t5qfc9.jpg
    Neli wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but the factions they have in the game, ie Black Legion, Night Lords, Iron warriors and the Word Bearers are all Chaos undivided anyway
    They are. It seems I missed the last edits of the OP.

steam_sig.png

No one is speaking about gender equality

Which is why I didn't quote anyone, or use any notification tags. Gender had come up, and in this topic, that grinds my gears.

That's also why I put it in quotes. I tried used the words in a "this subject" context.

I apologize if that wasn't clear.

I just hope they don't do what Warhammer Online did and force certain factions together. In WAR you had the orks, dark elves and chaos all working together which was really weird.

If they don't though, we'll have 4-faction warfare which sounds crazy. Are there any other games that did 4 faction PvP?

t5qfc9.jpg
    I just hope they don't do what Warhammer Online did and force certain factions together. In WAR you had the orks, dark elves and chaos all working together which was really weird.

If they don't though, we'll have 4-faction warfare which sounds crazy. Are there any other games that did 4 faction PvP?
    Perhaps there won't be 4-faction PvP. For example, on one battlefield it will be Space Marines vs. Eldars and on other one it will be Chaos Space Marines against Orks.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013
    What the fuck? It said that there was an error with posting my message. And now I can't delete it.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
    The Eldar have been known to manipulate the Orks into working with/for them.

Personally, I think all the races should be separate. With guilds/clans able to sign NAP's with other guilds to join them in a fight or something.

edited December 2013
    I wish I had made this thread a poll so I could see what faction you all were going to play :(

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm playing as Chaos. I have a Typhus the Traveler style character in mind I wish to make, but bent towards Tzeentch and mixed in with Eliphas the Inheritor and Ahriman. Psykers better be a big deal in this game for such a character to work and rip the battlefield apart.

Factions should be separate completely and the only times players of different factions come together, lore and believability aside, should be when one faction becomes resurgent and players, on the fly, come together in a given battle temporarily to crush that faction before resuming crushing each other. No formal ties, just momentary convenience.

I agree with Anon to a point in regards to female Space Marines, but I don't think it's just because of the Emperor being a man creating super male surrogates in his image, and thus creating super human others. It's just as much the lack of innovation and loss of technology and the lack of a primary female human on the Emperor's level from which to create surrogates that prevents it in the lore. I don't know that I see Space Marines as being beyond gender though; they are sold as male power fantasies and are created from male humans and look the part. You can call them not human, but you can't really say they aren't male though.

I look at that as both a failing of the lore in that respect and the male-centric misogyny inherent in Warhammer's organic, testosterone fueled origins. Sisters of Battle are not Space Marines, cannot become them or their equivalent, and are not a suitable enough compromise, in my eyes at least, to this enduring question. And people keep bringing it up because it's dumb that we can't have Space Marine equality and the stuff that comes with that because the lore is structured in such a way that it would be equally dumb to go back, retcon a whole host of important stuff, and fix it.

488W936.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    A'yeap. You can argue for faith to the lore, just don't tell me the lore isn't a regressive look back to the sausage-fest origins of war gaming because it totally is.

That said, I'll probably play an Eldar anyway and they've always had girl and boy miniatures.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    A'yeap. You can argue for faith to the lore, just don't tell me the lore isn't a regressive look back to the sausage-fest origins of war gaming because it totally is.

That said, I'll probably play an Eldar anyway and they've always had girl and boy miniatures.

Sometimes you can't even tell which is which!

Also, Dr. Keenbean shared this in the WAR thread, not sure if it's been linked here yet. Prepare for sometimes hard to understand European accents speaking English and a bunch of devs cosplaying as various Imperials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FGbjveo981k

The devs at one point point out that all factions fight each other.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I can get why people would complain about the gender stuff, but really, with all the modifications and augmentation that goes into a SPESS MEHREN, probably the only people that'd be able to tell the difference is the apothecaries tending them.
    mSPtEcD.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited December 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Psykers better be a big deal in this game for such a character to work and rip the battlefield apart.
    It will be really hard to balance psykers. For example, Eldar Farseer will always be much more powerful than any Librarian.
    Besides, I can be wrong, but aren't Tau completely immune to psyker attacks? Of course, there's no Tau in this game, but the devs said that they will add new factions eventually.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
    Tau are not immune to psychic attacks.

They are just an infant race, and don't have the psyker touch. Which is why they can't navigate the warp, and why the Necron's and Tyranid's don't really bother them, they don't have an imprint on the warp and are relatively invisible.

Yes, there have been run ins between these races. As far as I remember, the 'Nids have a hard time detecting them, and the 'Crons view them as inferior and a non-threat. Either of those races could leverage a fraction of their might and totally erase the Tau, I always find that interesting.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Also this thread makes me wish for the nth time I hadn't given away my eldar army but then I remind myself that painting those damn things for my entire childhood is a large part of the reason my vision is as seriously bad as it is.

edited December 2013
    lorefart incoming

The thing with the Tau is that, unlike a lot of the other factions, they're not stagnant at all. The Imperium has ground to an almost complete halt when it comes to technological progression. The Eldar is a race completely in decline, the Chaos factions (and gods) are too busy fighting eachother and fucking around in the eye of terror to make real progress and still rely a lot on the technology from 10.000 years ago. While the orks constantly make technological advances many are lost as one clan gets stomped by another or discarded as not orky enough or just end up blowing up the inventor in the end or whatever. The Necron are metal zombies who are pretty much the same as they were millions of years ago. The only real race trying to evolve and move forward like the Tau constantly would be the Tyranid I think

If the Imperium wanted to wipe out the Tau they could do so. Same for any of the other major factions, really. The Tau is such a small faction in the context of the 40K universe.

But, they've only been around for a few thousand years and already sport equal or superior technology to a lot of the other races. It's implied that if they can survive they will most likely sprint past the other factions in terms of technological might due to how rapidly they're progressing and their unique doctrine of absorbing other civilizations they come across rather than annihilating them.

As for psychers, they can still attack and hurt Tau though the Tau has some innate resistance to warp based powers

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    40k cannot be an MMO universe. What makes 40k so much fun is that there are numerous different armies to pick from, and they're all vastly different. You can be the super tough but super expensive space marines that can take on hundreds of weaklings all by themselves, or the numerous throw-men-into-the-meatgrinder-until-the-enemy-chokes imperial guard, who also happen to field some very powerful vehicles, or the warping in horrifying Lovecraftian demons, or the endless mindless terminator-esque necron, etc.

You try and make an MMO out of this universe and you think "Hm.. What races can we make playable characters? Well there's the space marines.. and.. uhh... "

Yes, I suppose technically you could do Eldar and Orks, but there's no way around the fact that a giant chunk of the fanbase won't get to play as the race they've been collecting for years and years.

edited December 2013
    Oh wow I just read the new Necron codex. They changed a looot of stuff with the Necrons. They have individuality and a lot of them have free will now and no longer serve the C'tan at all. There are tomb kings and everything and instead of the Necrons working like a hivemind towards the goal of eradicating life in the universe, now each tomb world has its own agenda, mostly to restore their dynasty to glory. That basically changes everything about them

I'm not sure what to think of this new direction but it sounds like they should be easier to implement as player races, now that they're less "mindless terminator army" and more of a Tomb Kings army of the dead kind of deal

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Yeah you can negotiate with the Necrons now. As far as lore goes they're almost an entirely new sort of faction

HSFxw2y.jpg

A quote from the Necron codex. The Necrons politely asking the people to evacuate. Before they'd just phase in and murder everything without a word spoken

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]