As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I design PC's at my work and have experience shipping big ones cross country. The biggest issue you will have is whether your CPU cooler and hard drives are attached well to the inside of the chassis.
    If drives are mounted to rails in the tower, they're probably fine, if they're on tooless plastic clips or sleds, you might have issues with them shearing off if the box gets dropped. For CPU coolers, it depends on the attachment method. Intel push-pin coolers will probably stay in place, big heatpipe towers are fine if they're mounted using screw thru plates. If it's a heavy cooler attached by push-pins, there is a risk that it'll come off and bounce around inside the tower. Big video cards need secured. CardKeeper makes a product that will lock them down at the front and back...but most cards will stay put if there are two screws at the back panel and a locking PCIe tab.

If you have any of those problem components, you will need to open up the case and pad the inside. Bubble Wrap works for this, or soft foam blocks. You need enough padding to softly cushion anything that might break loose, but not so much that it's pushing on capacitors and pins on the motherboard. Remove the packing once the machine arrives at BYOC.

To pack the exterior of the machine to save it from shipping damage, at work we use custom cut semi-rigid foam planks to float the machine in the middle of the box. I've seen some builders use the rapidly expanding foam pillows. Do not trust packing peanuts...they'll shift around like sand and the computer will sink to one side where it can take a hit. I would probably try to find a box with 2-3 inches of extra room all the way around the computer, then I would use spongey corrugated foam for the outer layer, and maybe wrap the machine in bubble wrap for the inner layer. Think about it like you were going to drop the machine from chest height...what would you want to drop it onto to save it.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    Anybody has any experience shipping their PCs to PAX as opposed to driving it up? If anybody has any suggestions on best shippers or best practices, it could help our group out a bit. [The current idea is just boxing everything up and UPSing it to the hotel.]
    There is actually a FedEx office right on the inside of the BCEC. My advice is to have FedEx receive it there.

Sounds like a great idea, actually. Wonder if there's any way to pick it up from there and set it up early with the rest of the BYOC stuff. I'm picturing trying to maneuver through the expo hall with a computer in tow, and it's not pretty.

If memory serves (though I would call them to make sure), that office opens up at 9am and you can get your shipment on Friday morning and setup with the rest of BYOC folk.
    FedEx Office Center
    http://www.fedex.com/us/office/services/conventions/locations/Boston.html

Services & Hours

Boston Convention and Exhibition Center
    415 Summer St.
    Boston, MA 02210
    usa1323@fedex.com

Hours:
    Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
    Saturday–Sunday: Call

Special Services
    Large-format color printing, signs and banners, pre-convention printing and file assistance.

For more information about Boston Convention and Exhibition Center click here.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    BYOC folk get in two hours early right?

edited November 2013
    FireWater wrote: »
    BYOC folk get in two hours early right?

In past PAX's, 3Day/Friday + BYOC Badge Holding Attendees have been allowed into BYOC at 8AM on Friday Morning in order to setup their equipment. I suspect that there will be no change in that policy this year. We will be working on trying to ensure proper communication with all parties involved so that we prevent door access issues of last year.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Vapok wrote: »

In past PAX's, 3Day/Friday + BYOC Badge Holding Attendees have been allowed into BYOC at 8AM on Friday Morning in order to setup their equipment. I suspect that there will be no change in that policy this year. We will be working on trying to ensure proper communication with all parties involved so that we prevent door access issues of last year.

Will the BYOC twitter be used this year to keep everybody in the loop?

A.Sabot on
    Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
    A.Sabot wrote: »
    Will the BYOC twitter be used this year to keep everybody in the loop?

I can't make any promises so far out, but I will do the best I can at making sure someone is updating the twitter feed during PAX. Whether or not it'll be specific to the lines on Friday morning, we might be all a bit too busy. But, we did make efficient use of the Prime twitter this last Prime. =)

Vapok
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    How active is the east byoc? Do a lot of people sit and game?

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    FireWater wrote: »
    How active is the east byoc? Do a lot of people sit and game?

Depends on time and events going on. Just an estimate on past experience, but during prime floor hours 10am-2pm, it is pretty quiet, 2-4 is moderate traffic as people get tired of lines and after 4 until close is prime time. It will never be as crowded as you expect though, a lot of people use it to park a machine to show off, and others use it as a quiet zone to get away from the cattle drive that is the floor.

You will meet some cool people and it is worth the experience, but you will spend significantly less time in there then you would think... too much else going on.

• legolego Registered User regular
    Hello. Super stoked. Second PAX East, First BYOC!

I have a kinda important question. As you might expect, lugging a tower, monitor, and applicable cables and peripherals is a lot! I'm driving to PAX, so shipping it would be kinda silly, but I was wondering, how do you do the "last mile" as it were. Multiple trips? Secret carrying cases? Powers of levitation? I really would prefer to not have to balance my case on my hands through the shuttle bus to the parking lot and back multiple times, so if you have any pro tips please let me know!

PAX East since 2013, PAX West since 2016
    lego wrote: »
    Hello. Super stoked. Second PAX East, First BYOC!

I have a kinda important question. As you might expect, lugging a tower, monitor, and applicable cables and peripherals is a lot! I'm driving to PAX, so shipping it would be kinda silly, but I was wondering, how do you do the "last mile" as it were. Multiple trips? Secret carrying cases? Powers of levitation? I really would prefer to not have to balance my case on my hands through the shuttle bus to the parking lot and back multiple times, so if you have any pro tips please let me know!

Great question... I have a not so great answer. =)

How you get your equipment to the threshold of the BCEC building is up to you. You can cart it, you can lug it, you can.. actually even ship it to the FedEx Office location directly in the BCEC (located in North Lobby). We're also going to have a Drop Off Location where you can have someone drive you right up to the doors of the BCEC and drop off you and your equipment. We'll even provide a "coat-check" for PC equipment so that you can drop it off, and go park your car, and then come back and retrieve your equipment.

However, once you get to the threshold of the BCEC doors, per convention union rules, they do not allow four wheeled carts. That is the rule... and as many have seen, sometimes that rule is bent depending on the size of your case, but we try really hard to hold fast to that rule. In select locations, in the past, there have been two wheel hand carts available. You can also bring your own two wheel hand cart if you so choose.

The drop off location will typically always be the closest entry point to BYOC, so the recommendation is to drop off your equipment before parking the car. The haul from the South Parking Lot is... well... substantial.

Vapok
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I plan to bring a two-wheel cart (didn't even think any style of cart was banned, happy I accidentally made the right decision). I'll be happy to lend it out so long as it gets back to me. I don't plan to be there at 8 sharp, however, probably closer to 9:30.

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    I have found that a folding 2 wheel cart is more than adequate for hauling tower and monitor. Additionally, I keep the original packaging for my monitor so that it is pretty well protected for the journey.

JfqWFk8.png
  • PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin. Can I come in through the connected entrance with my equipment?

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    What are the chances of walking to the BYOC area and finding somebody willing to loan out a cart?

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Politician wrote: »
    I'm staying at the Westin. Can I come in through the connected entrance with my equipment?

Yes, as it is part of the "public" area of the convention center. Thant entrance opens when all the others do. However, you may not be allowed in before 8am (@Vapok may have a more firm answer on that).
    What are the chances of walking to the BYOC area and finding somebody willing to loan out a cart?

I may be willing to loan mine out. In the past there have been loaner carts.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
    edited December 2013
    Politician wrote: »

That entrance will open up at 8AM along with all of the other entrances to the building. The only entrance that *should* open up earlier is the SouthWest entrance (to be finalized at a later date).

Also, we've had issues in the past with carts going through the skybridge from Westin to BCEC. So be aware that, you may have issues, and that the hike is quite far. Be patient and courteous to all convention center staff and security folks. They're just doing their job! =)

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    For those of you that have the option, it might be worth switching your rig to a MicroATX build to make the trip easier on yourself. I drive in every year and swapped myself to the Bitfenix Prodigy M case, so I will have a much easier time packing it and bringing it in as it has carrying handles integrated into the case. However, keep in mind that a small hand cart is much cheaper than a $100 case.

More directed at Vapok (or whoever knows a lot about the security), I own an Oculus Rift development kit and would not have any issues bringing it down to demo for all you lovely guys over at BYOC. The only thing I want to know a little bit more about before I decide to bring it is if I can check it in at the front desk to have it watched over when i'm not using it? I don't know if you guys do special requests like this, however, I feel like it would be a nice thing to do to spare everyone at BYOC from a giant line if a vendor decides to bring one to East this year.

On one last final note, Gotta commend you Vapok (I believe it was you) for how you handled the door situation last year. Things were getting incredibly tense between a few BYOC goers and BYEC staff and you guys defused the situation very professionally, so props. Thank you for making sure we don't have the same issue again this year.

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
    @Trandescent that would be great if your brought it. I am doing the opposite of last year, this year I am bringing a full tower and three monitors. Last year I had a shuttle pc and I wished that I had brought my full rig. That being said I live 20 minutes from Boston. I personally would love to see a rift, so I am excited for that!

edited December 2013
    @Trandescent Oculus Rift... (Everyone go.. ooooooooohhhh...)... That's pretty awesome! BYOC Security, as a rule, does not keep people's personal things up at the desk. Lot of other additional liability and stuff like that. Plus, we wouldn't want everyone ending up crashing their stuff at our desk. That said, this is pretty cool, and I wouldn't want something as petty as .. I dunno.. security... to be the factor that prevents you from doing this. Send me a PM, and we'll work out some ideas on how best to keep this secured.

I also want to comment on the switch to MicroATX. If you are thinking about rebuilding before PAX, I definitely recommend taking a look at Mini-ITX toasters (as I call 'em). I built one using this case (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=261&area=en). You'll see it at PAX East, since I'm bringing my rig. I like the Silvestone Tek cases a lot.

Thanks for the kind words there. Yeah, that was quickly developing into a bad situation. I was just doing my job. =) I think at the end of the day, we all need to breathe and realize that it's going to be ok. Though I admit that the gentleman with the center traffic office was.. how should I put it... violating Wheaton's Law.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Ooh, beautiful case. Bookmarked incase I ever want to go Mini-ITX. I swapped myself over to the Bitfenix Prodigy M. Love the case- the only downside at the moment is that I only have one connector on the mobo for case fans so i'll have to get a splitter or something along those lines to get the other one working (but im not looking forward to going in that case again any time soon. big hands and micro don't mix)

Here's hoping to a smooth year with BCEC staff and BYOC alike B)

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Got my Mini-ITX build coming in the largest PC case I have made yet...(I could of went with a bigger motherboard, but I was just going with a modest build this year).

Still working on it but heres a 75% done pic of the build (Baron Nashor from League of Legends):
    Minecraft model:
    K6JGwkf.jpg
    Real life model:
    qPTnwNY.jpg

Had the wife hold up the head as I still need to attach the leds to the eyes/teeth that I also havent gotten yet. Its about 4-5 feet tall and weighs an ungodly amount. Will be interesting lugging this in from Ohio and into the BYOC... Can't wait for PAX!
    Build log here for those interested: http://www.overclock.net/t/1456608/build-log-8-bit-baron-nashor-case-mod-league-of-legends

• DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Hello all.

Your friendly neighborhood PC Security Manager here. Keep your eyes peeled here for info on Group Seating signups, my plan is to get this out in the next few days. If anyone has any specific questions please post them here or shoot me a PM.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Group Seating Information
    GROUP SEATING IS OPEN!

Group Seating Requirements
    • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
    • Your group must check-in to BYOC on Friday together. No longer a requirement
    • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
    • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
    To request group seating, email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
    Include the following information when requesting:
    • Group Name
    • Number of People (include handles too)
    • Desired Location

BYOC Table Layout
    Group Seating will be updated once per day, each morning.
    BYOC_2014_Seating.png
    • RED - Reserved for Admin Use
    • BLUE - Group Seating Reserved
    • GREEN - Available Seats

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    edited January 2014
    Case Mod Showcase Information

Want to show off your awesome case mod near the entrance to BYOC? Want to sit in proximity to other case modders? We've carved out an area just for you! Register to sit in our Case Mod Showcase area of the BYOC!

As a note, this is optional and not required if you're bringing in a case mod.
    Case Mod Showcase Registration is Open

Case Mod Showcase Requirements
    • For starters, have a case mod!
    • Provide us a picture of your case mod (either finished or in progress).
    • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
    To request Case Mod Showcase, email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
    Include the following information when requesting:
    • Full Name
    • Case Mod Information (tell us what's neat about your mod!)
    • Seating Preference within the Case Mod Showcase (if any)
    • Include a picture of the case mod (work in progress pics are fantastic!)

BYOC Table Layout
    Group Seating will be updated once per day, each morning.
    BYOC_2014_Seating.png
    • Orange - Case Mod Showcase

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2014
    thorkon wrote: »
    Got my Mini-ITX build coming in the largest PC case I have made yet...(I could of went with a bigger motherboard, but I was just going with a modest build this year).

Still working on it but heres a 75% done pic of the build (Baron Nashor from League of Legends):
    Minecraft model:
    K6JGwkf.jpg
    Real life model:
    qPTnwNY.jpg

Had the wife hold up the head as I still need to attach the leds to the eyes/teeth that I also havent gotten yet. Its about 4-5 feet tall and weighs an ungodly amount. Will be interesting lugging this in from Ohio and into the BYOC... Can't wait for PAX!
    Build log here for those interested: http://www.overclock.net/t/1456608/build-log-8-bit-baron-nashor-case-mod-league-of-legends

13+-+1

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    :D You bringing in a mod this year?

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am. It is very early in the build. I still need primer, paint, clearcoat, a second video card, a motherboard, and a power supply. I have the rest from my suitcase PC. I had to get two BYOC seats, as my monitor is a custom-build triple-screen 1080p LED number. The PC has a linear actuator with remote and a sliding motherboard tray... so when running, you can slide the whole motherboard out the back of the case. A lot of custom cabling needs done. Here's an early shot...Be8TeH2CEAAUMjT.jpg

p3HkbcM.png
    DGhmf5o.jpg

Looking forward to seeing that. Those triple monitors gonna be nice.

I am bringing my three monitors this year. No modded case, I am not talented enough to do that :(

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    XCt78ra.jpg

I just had to!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • jugernughtjugernught Registered User regular
    Hey, I am looking for the Protheory team from 2011. I have 4 people going this year and would like to get team seating.

jugernught wrote: »
    Hey, I am looking for the Protheory team from 2011. I have 4 people going this year and would like to get team seating.

Erhum... http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28989667/#Comment_28989667

Vapok
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I assume this person was with that particular group in 2011 and since they have 4 they want to get back together with that group to meet the minimum requirement of 6 for group seating.

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I've sent off an email to the pax_pc email address regarding a group booking, but haven't heard anything back. It's been a couple of days. Should I be worried, or are you guys just busy? :)

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    I've sent off an email to the pax_pc email address regarding a group booking, but haven't heard anything back. It's been a couple of days. Should I be worried, or are you guys just busy? :)

I too have sent an email and have not got a reply nor has the diagram been updated. I would just like some confirmation. Thanks!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • FlaeorFlaeor Registered User regular
    I'm in the same boat as the last two people. I sent it the day after the group seating sign-up went up, and I haven't seen an update, despite the FAQ saying they'd be checking and updating it every morning. I'm guessing BigRed did that last year, but he's not running it this year, and yet someone copypasta'd that in.

BigRed actually did not run it last year. PAX Prime 2012 was his last PAX running BYOC.

Apparently the emails were not making it to the person responsible for group seating. I think this may now be resolved, and you probably don't need to re-send anything (the person responsible for group seating can feel free to correct me).

Hey guys, the emails are just starting to trickle into my email now. I will work on these tonight. I will respond to everyone directly with confirmations.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    As promised. I have processed all of the emails I was sent and updated the seating chart in the OP. If you think you were missed please let me know in a PM and I will track it down.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy