As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    How are you guys recording your daily runs?

I use OBS.

It's free, pretty easy to use and it compresses the video as it records, so if you're not planning on doing any editing you can just throw the files directly on Youtube.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dear Journal,

When pushing a box of explosives off a ledge, be sure not to do it when there is a spinner spider occupying that same space. Pushing it halfway over the ledge might stop the spider from ascending its web, but you can be assured that it will explode as soon as you push it off the ledge.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    My second encounter with Olmec

A bat knocked me directly under his golden visage

It is now my mission to murder all bats

All right, just did the December 1st daily challenge! And this is the first time I've recorded myself playing. I did not try commentary, but maybe I'll give that a shot in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al36sCMaTnQ

I had just been reading up about the kapala, so when the opportunity presented itself, I took it. The kapala is awesome! I had a close call with the ghost around the 13-minute mark, and I did something very dumb in the Black Market which resulted in my death. I honestly thought I could pull it off, as I've done it before. Oh well.

I made a lot of stupid mistakes here, but it was a pretty good run overall.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Watched about ten seconds of your run before I realized I should do mine first. Weird shit happens at around 4:20 - anyone want to explain I did there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBTf-80ZKs

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Climbing gloves basically make you auto-latch onto a wall. Handly, but also can get you horribly killed forever.

M A G I K A Z A M
    But how did I kill the snake?

Okay...that, I don't know. I kinda just assumed you whipped at pretty much the exact perfect time.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Looks like you jumped, bounced off the low ceiling, and hit the ground over the course of a couple frames. So the game treated you as landing on top of the snake.

There's some weird things going on with the hitboxes in this game. They seem to employ some kind of fuzzy or predictive element based on your vector, or something. It's most noticeable when you're trying to whip fucking bats out of the air and inexplicably get hit from a couple boxes away.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The god damned bats are the worst thing in this game.

Nah. The bats are easy to take care of.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Made it to 5-1 today with $425800 in my back pocket.
    Missed some opportunities to turn some jewels into diamonds by bringing the ghost in on the wrong side.

Had only 2 bombs on me going into hell and I had to approach the shopkeeper at the exit at eye level and nothing to hit back with.
    I had trouble getting Olmec down the hole too which cost me some extra bombs.

DaxterMax on
    Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
    Watched about ten seconds of your run before I realized I should do mine first. Weird shit happens at around 4:20 - anyone want to explain I did there?

No idea what happened with the snake there.

As far as how you could have dealt with that giant spider: next time you come across one where its web is right next to the ground, just duck and drop a bomb on the web.

You're also having trouble with getting off ladders in the middle of a shaft. I suspect you're holding up or up-left the whole time. Just hold left or right, whichever direction the ledge is in, after you jump off the ladder.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    How are you guys recording your daily runs?

I use OBS.

It's free, pretty easy to use and it compresses the video as it records, so if you're not planning on doing any editing you can just throw the files directly on Youtube.

I tried OBS, but found the quality of FFsplit a little better.

2013-12-01: http://www.twitch.tv/nailbunnypd/b/483866367

2013-11-30: http://www.twitch.tv/nailbunnypd/b/484087827

Here's one with OBS: http://www.twitch.tv/nailbunnypd/b/483787193

Also, everyone should add me so I can feel somewhat accomplished when Peewi smashes my score.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png

I think you just squeezed above the snakes head enough for it to register as a head knock.
    I had the exact same thing happen with the snake on the other side of the one you hit.

SteevL wrote: »
    All right, just did the December 1st daily challenge! And this is the first time I've recorded myself playing. I did not try commentary, but maybe I'll give that a shot in the future.

I had just been reading up about the kapala, so when the opportunity presented itself, I took it. The kapala is awesome! I had a close call with the ghost around the 13-minute mark, and I did something very dumb in the Black Market which resulted in my death. I honestly thought I could pull it off, as I've done it before. Oh well.

Any specific reason you bombed to the right on the first level (at ~2:00)? I like how you whipped the dog for blood. Pretty ruthless. I guess that's what it takes to survive.

SteevL wrote: »

Any specific reason you bombed to the right on the first level (at ~2:00)? I like how you whipped the dog for blood. Pretty ruthless. I guess that's what it takes to survive.

I was hoping there was more over there than just one bar of gold. I was immediately disappointed.

I like how you double spike the boomerang guy. I could almost feel the panic set in too when the Ghost was after you. The Black Market bit was pretty funny.
    Really enjoyed that vid, even without commentary.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    So have you ever wondered what frustration and bafflement looks like in picture form

Look no further!

I fell into the pit in the ice caves, the ankh broke, then I looked away for a second, and when I looked back at the screen this had happened:

R697QAX.jpg?1

L4Wwm93.jpg?1

Run-down:

- moai broke open
    - hedjet appeared but was not obtained
    - my spelunker re-appeared at the main entrance
    - ankh image kept growing larger

If the ghost hadn't appeared I would have stuck around to see how much bigger it would've gotten.

I am genuinely not sure what bug happened here, but it's the first time I've ever encountered such a thing!

edit: I just noticed that my health was also reduced to 1, despite being on 4 before I fell into the pit and not hitting anything after the resurrection! Curiouser and curiouser.

simonwolf on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Huh. Wonder if it's reproducible.

edited December 2013
    Apparently the ankh growing and covering the screen is a pretty common glitch, if a cursory google is anything to go by

Not sure what triggers it, but consider this a cautionary tale!

simonwolf on
    I played the daily challenge for December 2nd just now and also recorded (minimal) commentary for the first time. I made it to 1-4, but it was a pretty bad run. I'll post it tomorrow.

Believe me, when one of the people you're competing against is me, no run is a bad run.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    That meat dude is pretty gross. Then I realized that's tomorrow's daily so I stopped watching. I SHALL RETURN SOME DAY.

• PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Just discovering this thread, yay. Been playing the Daily Challenges off and on, but haven't cleared the main game yet. Farthest I've been is the temple world, I think.

One particularly memorable moment, I stopped to take a screenshot of a particularly ridiculous randomly generated segment, and while I was fumbling around for the F12 key, got hit by the same thing I was taking a screenshot of, two spike totems surrounding the exit. First time I've ever flung my controller across the room for this game, haha. Didn't expect they'd hit me standing on the edge of the ledge where the cape then landed.

1024x576.resizedimage

...That was the stupidest death I've ever had in this game, on today's daily. Okay. So, I accidentally throw the damsel at a flytrap, then it falls asleep in front of the exit, and then I try to throw it just as it wakes up and eats me...

I end with 4800 gold because I bought the jetpack. *facepalm*

M A G I K A Z A M
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm having issues editing the video of my run. Trying to figure out why the hell it's so zoomed in. Probably have it at a weird aspect ratio or something.

Anyway, here's my run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR55K3dUOUU&feature=youtu.be

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Well here's the original source file video, if you want to be able to see everything on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUPXlm2Nts&feature=youtu.be

steam_sig.png

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Didn't do well today because I picked a fight in the black market and it uhhh, didn't go well. I did discover that shopkeepers are not immediately killed by mantraps which pretty much ruined my plans of homicide for today.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I wasn't recording it, but I managed to get the Speedlunky achievement with just 10 seconds left to go for being below 8 minutes.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I haven't gotten past the Ice Caves in this, but then again I play pretty sporadically because I just pick up a game on the Vita every now and then.

Bats may be easy to kill but many times they show up when a bunch of other potentially lethal things are going on. I've lost count of the number of times a bat (or several bats) show up to ruin my day when there are spikes and/or giant spiders around.

joshofalltrades on
    Here's my 12-2-2013 run:

http://youtu.be/edfryuMH9cY

First time recording commentary. My commentary is mostly me reacting to doing dumb shit by saying "AGGGHHH". I'm using FRAPS to record the video as well as my voice and it took a view tries to get the levels right. I guess I could record the voice track separately in Audacity but I know I wouldn't be happy with my attempts at synching the audio in Windows Movie Maker.

Anyway, not a great run. I'll go for another one tonight.

I had a pretty crappy run at it today. Robbed the first shop in 1-2 which went fine.
    The shopkeeper got me on 1-3 though as I approach the exit all wrong :(

Will have to see if I can get setup to record some of them. My upload is poor though so not sure how long it would take to do that.

I've got crappy upload speeds too, so what I am doing from now on is copying the video to my laptop and uploading it from my work connection. I'm also shrinking it down quite a bit before uploading; the above video was about 5.8 GB before I shrunk it down to a manageable 176 MB. Maybe I should look into other programs...

OBS has been pretty good for me. Try that?

steam_sig.png

I just did the December 3rd daily challenge. It went better than yesterday, but...ugh. Still more sloppiness. Maybe tomorrow I will make it out of the mines.

Even though I'm giving commentary, I try not to talk too much because I hate the sound of my own voice. I do try to explain my decisions, though.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Uuuuuugh, today's daily challenge.
    I bought the jetpack, and then the boomerang, then started climbing the snake pit to the left of the boomerang using the jetpack. It was going extremely well, despite some tricky maneuvering to get up onto the same level as the little spider so I could finish him off with the boomerang.

Then I landed under one of the arrow traps, and tossed my boomerang diagonally to trigger it.

Arrow bounced off the wall and right through my eye, apparently.

Gods, my equipment was killer, too.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I am ranked 8th on PSN for today's Spelunky daily challenge! But I should have done so much better :( I got stuck due to the climbing gloves on a wall just millimeters high enough for a mummies insect to catch me on 4-3 and I died. Would have certainly got past Olmec for the +50k bonus to get a 300k+ run.

Ended on $255100, which is actually really disappointing for me because this daily challenge is awesome having both
    a shotgun and jet pack
    early if you can get them. So mad with myself right now.

Edit: And what is really infuriating is that I have been to 4-3 twice out of the four dailies I've tried with plenty of bombs to make Olmec very easy but screwed it up literally at the last moment both times. :(

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I think I need more of you folks on my Steam Friends List for leaderboard action. My username here is the same as that for Steam.

As for today's daily challenge (dated 2013/12/03), I did rather poorly.
    Bought the early jetpack, but ended up dying to a giant spider at the bottom of 1-3 when I got trapped when it jumped down as I was entering the shop. For some reason, I thought I was skilled enough to kill it in melee combat, but it did not end well. Final score: $14,350.

Today's not been a good day for me anyways, I played about a dozen lives today and I think I only got to the Jungle stratum twice. Tomorrow is another day!

4463rwiq7r47.png