As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCHRPG] Batman: Arkham Asylum- Act 2: Joker's Asylum

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Nightwing jumps sideways causing Terry to sail past him. "I lost my arm in the second Battle of Gotham when Brainiac caused Cyborg to crash the Watchtower into the city. Had to undergo surgery and I still lost it. So when Green Arrow found Cyborg's arm, he attached it to me. We've lost a lot of heroes. If you would just stop fighting me and listen maybe you won't be one of them."
    Future Nightwing: Dodging Batman (Solo d8, War Harden d8, Cyber Enchanced Reflexes d10, Combat Master d10): 2#1d8 4 8 2#1d10 7 4 15 d10.

@dresdenphile Not buying those 1s.

@Matev and @Auralynx are you guys splitting up or continuing onwards?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Nightwing

I shook my head. "There's more good than bad in that lot, and Jason Todd's resurrection as the Red Hood had nothing to do with me. What's your end game, here? How do I get out?"

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Terry

"Your story just keeps getting worse and worse. None of what you say has happened...does...will happen! I want the truth, and I want it now!"

I lunge again, hoping to take this guy down once and for all.
    Solo d8, TK d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Combat Expert d8, Nightwings stress d8. Using Focus and Claws to combine Strength and Combat to a d10, then back it down to a d8, add d6 and increase physical stress inflicted:

Attack Nightwing: 1d8 6 1d8 2 1d8 3 1d6 3 1d8 3

Better, I guess? I'll spend 2 PP to make that a 12 with a d10 physical stress.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze searches for a gurney, clearly intending to haul one or more henchmen to the infirmary and perform an autopsy...

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Sorry I haven't updated lately. Been under the weather lately. I'll update this and my other games this weekend.

• Options
    Mary Grayson turned her shattered face sideways. "Get out? Why would you want to leave us, my sweet robin? Stay with mommy. I've missed you." The lights dimmed a bit, or was that Nightwing's imagination?

Terry barely misses Nightwing with his claws as Nightwing spins sideways again. "You want to know what's going on? A few months after Booster Gold brought you into the past, Brainiac came back. He had some alien technology we never seen before and before we could get prepared properly, half of the heroes on Earth were either dead or enslaved. Hell, at one point, I was fighting with the Jokerz because they were all the help I could get. Then Cyborg got infected." Nightwing was quiet for a few seconds. "We didn't even know. He crashed the Watchtower into Gotham. We lost a lot of heroes that day. Since then, I've been running with Green Arrow, Hawkwoman, Spellbinder, a few of the Jokerz crew who haven't died or left, and some of the Neo-Gotham's police force. That was an adventure in and of itself, getting the Jokerz and police to fight side by side." Nightwing closed his hand cannon. "Its been hell on everyone. Its been harder since Bruce died. I've enjoyed fighting alone, but with Batman dead, Superman enslaved, and Wonder Woman fighting in Metropolis I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here." Nightwing turns to look at the Batman statue. "That's why I'm here. I guess I'm looking for hope."

Future Nightwing vs. Future Batman: Dodging Future Batman (Solo d8, War Harden d8, Enchanced Cyber Reflexes d10, Combat Master d10): 2#1d8 2 6 2#1d10 7 6 13 d10

@Auralynx give me a Tech roll to see how much you learn from the autopsy.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mr. Freeze

Oddly unstopped by Batman, Freeze wheels the creature to the infirmary and goes to work.

Mutant autopsy: Solo d10 (9) + Cold and Calculating d8 (3) + Medical Expert d10 (5)= 14, d8 effect.
    Pretty sure autopsies involve Medical.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Mr. Freeze tries to learn what he can from the frozen bodies, but without the proper medical tools, plus the icy condition of the bodies, little can be gained from them.
    Cut here, slice there (2d6, 2d8, 1d10): 2#1d6 4 4 2#1d8 7 3 1#1d10 9 16 d8

• Options
    I'm not going to be able to participate in this thread for a while.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    i'm at a bit of a loss on how to proceed. can i switch to bat-vision to see a waypoint? ;)

• Options
    Sure.

• Options
    Terry

I look around to see if there's an exit out of this illusion.
    Solo d8, TK d8, Cybernetic Senses d8, Covert Expert d8

Find Exit: 1d8 2 1d8 4 1d8 3 1d8 3

Blerg. 7 with a d8.

Batman and Mr Freeze are going to find me simultaneously crying and punching the air in a few minutes, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Terry's bat vision shows only the batcave and Future Nightwing.

"I could use your help." Nightwing ask. "I'm looking for a file. Something Bruce has on Brainiac. But the problem is once I turn the Bat Computer on, Brainiac will know. His forces here within a few minutes, if we are lucky. Can you hold them off while I try to hack into the Computer? I had asked Thea Queen but she's gone MIA. It won't take long."

See through the fog (2d6, 2d8, 1d10): 2#1d6 2 4 2#1d8 3 8 1#1d10 2 12 d8

• Options
  • Options
    "We can be a family again." Mary says. And as if a curtain had be pulled back, a bright, white light appeared from across the tent and illuminated the room. It was the Circus, on the very night Dick's parents had died, all those years ago. The people in the stands wore bright colored suits and dresses, but Nightwing could tell something was off. They had no faces. Except one person in Green.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that. Who is the Boy that wants to be the Bat?" The Riddler stood up and walked down to the stage. "You don't want to go with them, do you? Sure you would be with your family, but would you who you wanted to be?" Riddler pointed to one of the three rings. In it stood Dick Grayson in the Batman uniform. "Isn't that more to your liking?"

• Options
    Terry

"Fine, I'll 'hold off' the bad guys for now," I growl, waiting for the other shoe to drop on this ridiculous situation. I get into a fighting stance, ready to take on whatever comes next.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Future Nightwing starts by connecting a line from his arm to the Batcomputer. In a few secs, the screen lights up. "Access Code" the digital voice of Alfred ask. "D1G568" Future Nightwing responds.

The Batcomputer gives Nightwing full access, and he goes to work on searching the files. "When I was Robin, Batman discovered that no mater what Brainiac changes, he always has the same frequency to communicate with his otherselves. My thoughts are if we can jam that frequency, Brainiac will lose control of not only his army but all the capture heroes." Brainiac's file pops up on the screen. "Damn, 600 Gigabyte file? That's going to take 5 minutes or so."

Then the Batcave lit up with lights. "Do not resist. This is a kindness." the electronic voice of two Brainiac bots sound.
    Doom Pool: 2d6, 2d8, 1d10

Scene Distinctions: Dark Cave, Batcomputer
    3PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d8 Physical Stress
    Future Nightwing [ ] d8 Physical Stress
    Brainiac Bot 1 [ ]
    Brainiac Bot 2 [ ]

6PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson) d6 Physical Stress, d8 Mental Stress, Enhanced Senses shutdown...

2PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
  • Options
    Terry

"I really hate all of this, but robots are definitely something I can deal with." I leap backwards, flinging two Batarangs at Braniac's minions. I'm still rattled by all of this, so I'm not sure if this is going to work or not...
    Solo d8, TK d8, Batarang d8, Combat Expert d8, Area Effect d6

Attack Robots: 1d8 8 1d8 2 1d8 2 1d6 4 1d8 1

12 total with a d8 and a d8 physical stress headed toward the robots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "I'm not the one doing this. At least not me personally. See, you must have figured out that this isn't real. Maybe? That your parents, myself, we are all those annoying voices in your head. Your parents are that voice that says 'Why don't I have a normal life? Stop running on roof tops, get a nice, normal girl. Raise a family. Me? Well. I'm those thoughts you feel guilty for having. That one day you will be Batman. One day you will no longer be considered to be a sidekick by Bruce." The Riddler walked over to Dick's Batman self. "Does your heart's desire be what you truly inspire? What will you do to make that real?"

"Projectile Detected" Brainaic Bot 1 says as it fires a laser beam from it's eyes at the batarang aimed at it. The batarang explodes, but Terry's other batarang dodges the laser beam and hits the Brainaic Bot in the neck. "Technical Difficulties. Alien object jamming horizontal rotators."

"Hostile detected. Neutralize with Extreme Force." Brainaic Bot 1 says as he fires two shots at Terry.

Nightwing: Eat of the Apple (2d6, 2d8, 1d10): 2#1d6 3 5 2#1d8 6 8 1#1d10 6 14 d10 Heart's Desire Complication.

Brainiac Bot 1: Projectiles Detected (Buddy d6, Just Like The Real Thing d8, Target System d8, Eye Lasers d8, Combat Expert d8): 1#1d6 4 4#1d8 8 2 7 1 15 d8

Brainiac Bot 2: Projectile Detected (Buddy d6, Just Like The Real Thing d8, Targeting System d8, Eye Lasers d8, Combat Expert d8): 1#1d6 6 4#1d8 3 6 3 6 12 d8. Tied so Brainiac Bot 2 takes d8 Physical Stress.

Brainiac Bot Attacking: Firing Lasers (Buddy d6, War Machine d8, Targeting System d8, Eye Lasers d8, Combat Expert d8): 1#1d6 4 4#1d8 2 3 2 2 7 d8

3PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d8 Physical Stress
    Future Nightwing [ ] d8 Physical Stress
    Brainiac Bot 1 [ ]
    Brainiac Bot 2 [ ] d8 Physical Stress

6PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson) d6 Physical Stress, d8 Mental Stress, Enhanced Senses shutdown...

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Terry

I see the Braniac drone swivel the laser cannon, so I leap behind the one that just took the Batarang to the neck. The damaged bot, seeing the incoming lasers, puts up a shield to protect itself. However, ol' Lame Brain must have diverted most of the processing power to the shooter, because the broken bot doesn't calculate the trajectory of the laser properly and ends up sending the bolts back at his buddy. Two neat little holes get punched through that robot, and the tin can staggers backward, surprised (well, as surprised as a walking computer can be, I guess).

"Maybe you need to update your Java, Braniac; you're having a hell of a time hitting me as it is!"
    Solo d8, TK d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Acrobatics Master d10,

Dodge Braniac Bot Lasers: 1d8 2 1d8 6 1d10 8 1d8 5

That's a 14 with a d8. I'll spend a PP to inflict a d10 physical stress on the bot that shot at me, since that's 5+ over his roll.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    While Brainiac Bot 1 tries to compute what just happen, Brainiac Bot 2 spins it's head around with a loud screeching of metal on metal. "Hostile Target. Why fight when you have already loss?" The Brainiac Bot fires another blast of Eye Laser at Terry.
    Do Not Resist (Buddy d6, War Machine d8, Targeting System d8, Eye Laser d8, Combat Expert d8): 1#1d6 6 4#1d8 1 4 6 5 12 d8. Spending d8 from the Doom Pool to buy that 5. 17 d8.

• Options
    Terry

Too cocky...dammit, Terry.

I can't get out of the way this time, and the blasts hit me dead on. The suit's sensors start going nuts, pop-ups and alerts blaring inside the helmet.
    Reaction to Braniac 2: 1d8 2 1d8 1 1d10 5 1d8 6 1d8 3

11 with a d8. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Your turn to attack again, @dresdenphile

• Options
    Terry

I throw two more Batarangs, but the damage from that last laser blast has got the targeting computer all screwed up. I have a feeling this is going south faster than I had hoped.
    Solo, TK, Batarang + Area Effect, Combat Expert, Bot 1 Stress, Bot 2 Stress

Attack Robots:
    1d8: 1 [1d8=1]
    1d6: 1 [1d6=1]
    1d8: 5 [1d8=5]
    1d10: 7 [1d10=7]

Surprisingly, not the worst roll I've ever done. So, 12 with a d4 stress coming at each of the bots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nightwing

"A nice, normal girl, Riddler? As long as she's a redhead, I guess." I follow the embodiment of my guilt, if he is to be believed, to my 'Batman-self'. "That uniform doesn't really fit me, Riddler. I've tried it. Maybe I will again one day, but I don't think it'll stick. Bruce is a lot of things, but... despite my past, despite what I've seen, I still think I'm more of an optimist than Bruce. So no. That's not what I want.

"What I do want, is to get out of here. You're the Riddler, right? Give me a clue."

• Options
    Both Batarangs hit the Bots, but they clatter uselessly off. "You need to hurry up, Terry. Brainiac is in the Batcomputer." Nightwing says. "I'm only 25% complete and trying to hold him off."

Brainiac Bot 1 fires another eye beam at Terry, this time moving out of the way of Brainiac Bot 2. It wasn't going to make that mistake again.

"A Clue? How about a Riddle. A hiker went without sleep for seven days and wasn't tired. How come?" The Riddler says as he waves a hand over Dick's Batman persona. The illusion fades into smoke, as does most of the circus, leaving only Nightwing, Riddler, and the Flying Graysons all in a pool of white light in a sea of darkness.
    I'll take 2 of those 1's for a nice and shiny d8 for the Doom Pool.

Brainiac Bot 1: Brace for Impact (Buddy d6, War Machine d8, Alien Armor d10, Combat Expert d8, Terry's Stress d8): 1#1d6 2 3#1d8 5 5 5 1#1d10 5 10 d10 so no damage.

Brainiac Bot 2: Brace for Impact (Buddy d6, War Machine d8, Alien Armor d10, Combat Expert d8, Terry's Stress d8): 1#1d6 2 3#1d8 3 8 1 1#1d10 3 11 d8 so no damage.

Brainiac Bot 1 vs Terry: Attacking Hostile Target (Buddy d6, War Machine d8, Targeting System d8, Eye Laser d8, Combat Expert d8, Terry's Stress d8): 1#1d6 4 5#1d8 2 5 5 7 7 14 d8

Doom Pool: 2d6, 2d8, 1d10
    4PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d8 Physical Stress
    Future Nightwing [-] d8 Physical Stress
    Brainiac Bot 1 [ ] d10 Physical Stress

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Mr. Freeze

"Interesting, wouldn't you say, Batman?"

Freeze glances over his shoulder to where he's certain the Caped Crusader is lurking... but there is no sign of him. Victor frowns.

I must assume he planted some sort of tracking device on me or is otherwise monitoring my presence. Still...

Abandoning his botched autopsy, Freeze heads for the roof... and the air-conditioning system.
    I'm just gonna assume @Matev has pulled a Batman and will dramatically reappear at some point for the moment. Freeze is off on his own agenda.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    You and Batman are pretty much done with Act 1. I'm just finishing up Terry and Nightwing and then I'm going to do some XP.

• Options
    Yeah, we seemed to be at a coda anyway, just figured I'd set him loose to Batman things since we're both Solos anyway and it'll let him go at his own pace.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Terry
    Reaction to Braniac Robot: 1d8 6 1d8 8 1d10 7 1d8 3 1d8 4

15 with a d8.

The suit's sensors come back online just as the Braniac bot takes another shot at me This time, I'm ready for the lasers, so I dodge out of the way fairly easily. "So sorry, hallucination; I'll try to hurry up and destroy the super-advanced killer robot from the future!'

I sprint towards the shooter and leap onto it, claws extended. Hopefully, I can open this vending machine up and focus on his buddy.
    Solo d8, TK d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Combat Expert d8 (combining those to a d10, then stepping it back and adding a d6 for Focus and Claws to inflict Physical Stress + 1)

Attack Robot: 1d8 7 1d8 1 1d8 3 1d6 3

10 with a d10 physical stress

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Brainiac Bot grabs Terry in mid-air and throws him to the ground. "Subject shows signs of similar combat knowledge as Subjects Batman, Nightwing, and Robin. Another student of Subject Batman? Data, unimportant. Current Objective: Eliminate Threats, Capture Subject Nightwing."

Bot 2 only beeps it's reply before firing its eye lasers at Terry.

• Options
    Terry

Too slow, again. The lasers lance across the suit, which screams with more alerts and pop-ups in the HUD.
    Reaction to Braniac Robot: 3#1d8 1 2 2 1d10 7

Boo-urns. 9 with a d8

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac Bot 1 takes advantage of the situation and tries to grab Terry but before he can touch him, a blast throws him back. Terry looks over at Nightwing, still connected to the computer with his cannon arm open. "Buying you time. Brainiac is almost found me in the system. I got to concentrate on that."

Terry now finds himself dealing with only one bot.
    Paying d8 to interrupt the scene, which is Nightwing attacking Bot 1. Since Bot 1 had d10 damage, it's upped to d12 and he's out.

Doom Pool: 2d6, 1d8, 1d10
    4PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d10 Physical Stress
    Future Nightwing [-] d8 Physical Stress
    Brainiac Bot 1 [X] Stressed Out

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    Terry

Flipping to my feet, I rear back with my fist and slam it into the bot's head. Hopefully, the suit has enough power left to take this drone out.
    Solo, TK, Enhanced Strength, Combat Expert, Bot's Stress+ Focus:

Attack Bot 2: 1d8 4 1d8 8 1d8 8 1d10 1

16 with a d8 stress coming his way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sparks fly as Terry's fist slam into the Bot's head, but he's doing less damage then he believed he would have done. The Bot steps back and fires at Terry.

• Options
    Terry

I flip backwards, grabbing the remains of the downed bot as I leap away from the beams. The lasers hit my improvised shield and bounce back the Brainiac robot, catching the metal man completely off-guard.
    Solo d8, TK d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Acrobatics Master d10, Bot stress D10

Reaction to Braniac Robot: 1d8 2 1d8 8 1d8 7 1d10 5 1d10 8

I'll spend 2 PP to make that 23 with a d12 physical stress reflected back to him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The bot's head explodes into a flash of metal, fire, and sound. The bot falls dead next to his companion. Nightwing disconnects from the computer system. "Ok, I got the data. Thanks, I own you one. Now let's get out of here."

Suddenly, the cave shakes violently. "Ok, let's not go out the front door. Let's go out the back way." Terry and Nightwing make their way towards a secret sewer door that Batman had sealed away long before Terry became Batman. Nightwing blasts the door away with his arm cannon as the shaking gets worst. "Ok, we are out of here..." Nightwing is cut off as more Brainiac Bots fill the cave and start firing. A large stalactite falls down between Nightwing and Terry, trapping Terry in the cave and throwing Nightwing into the sewer. "Terry! Terry!" Another blast drops more of the cave down on the Batcave, destroying the Batcompter. Terry looks up to see another stalactite fall above him...

Terry opens his eyes. The world is upside down and he's moving. More accurately, he's being carried. "That gas must have done a number on them." Some brutish thug says. "This one won't stop calling for his mommy. Heehee."

"Yeah. Superhero cries for mom. I can't wait until I tell the boys." Another thug says. Terry feels weak and can't seem to move his arms yet. But they are also tied behind his back, he observes, as more of his feeling comes back. "Scarecrow said to drop them in here."

Terry lets out a grunt as the thugs toss him to the ground. Briefly, Terry sees the cell as the Batcave, but then it's gone, replaced with a normal cell. Nightwing gets thrown next, still out of it. The cell door locks and Terry listens as the thugs walk over to one of the guard stations.
    Still Standing? (Solo d8, War Machine d8, Alien Armor d10, Combat Expert d8, Terry's Stress d10): 3#1d8 6 4 7 2#1d10 4 4 13 d10. So BOOM!

@jdarksun, have you figured out Fake Riddler's Riddle?

• Options
    Nightwing

"...because he slept during the night?"
    I don't get what the Riddler is hinting at.

• Options
    Riddler nods before waving his hand around him. Suddenly, Nightwing feels a small shake before he finds himself alone in a white ring of light surrounded by the darkness.

You got the riddle right...