As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA Releases Command & Conquer for Free

124»

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I started with WC2 myself, and my RTS experience had been pretty much limited to Blizzard, Myth and some AoE (until I realized how much that series sucks, that is).

As far as speed goes, it IS true that it's pretty much insane how quickly all the infantry units are produced... oh well, this only encourages the player to build up massive armies of them, which really feels great when you're instructing that huge tide of tiny bunches of pixels to flood over the enemy base... bwahahaaa.

I find that setting the speed to one under max gives it a pace pretty close to the "more mainstream" RTSes... minus the quick unit production, of course. Okay, so they do walk pretty slowly across the map, but you're looking at it from so far above that it pretty much just compensates, I'm sure if you could zoom in to Starcraft-altitude they'd move about as fast. :P

Max speed is just unplayable though... clearly only in there for when you just wanna build up your Tiberium supply and don't really intend to control anything at that speed.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Also, I finally realized that Beyond The Dark Portal's "Medieval Man" is a wink at/parody of C&C... damn you Blizzard and Westwood, if I'd played them in the order they were released I'd have found it much funnier! *shakefist*

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not to triple-post or anything, but I just remembered that last night, right before I went to sleep, at 3 AM, I was watching the cut-scene where the GDI network goes down and Kane "hacks into" your computer and starts talking to you... and I mean, I was in the dark and it was late and I was really tired, but for a second there, when he said that he knows where I live and that he's coming to get me, I felt pretty uneasy. It was like one of the most effective 4th-wall-breaking moments in videogames that I remember... gave me the goosebumps.

What a great antagonist. :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Not to triple-post or anything, but I just remembered that last night, right before I went to sleep, at 3 AM, I was watching the cut-scene where the GDI network goes down and Kane "hacks into" your computer and starts talking to you... and I mean, I was in the dark and it was late and I was really tired, but for a second there, when he said that he knows where I live and that he's coming to get me, I felt pretty uneasy. It was like one of the most effective 4th-wall-breaking moments in videogames that I remember... gave me the goosebumps.

What a great antagonist. :D

In my old job, I once walked over to the video deparment at like midnight and all the hundreds of TV's were showing was Kane, declaring the will of NOD. It was an ad for C&C3, but at that time of night seeing like seeing kane on every TV was a little scary.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hahaha

LewieP on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    'Oh my God it's happening!'

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think I broke the game. See, I was on that one mission (the GDI one where you have to kill some turrets to let some boats through, except that oops, once the boats spawn they get murdered by that laser turret thingy), and getting quite frustrated that everything I threw at that base just splattered there like a bug on a windshield because of that stupid laser turret. I wanted to take out the SAMs so I could airstrike the turret and open the way for my guys, but no luck, one of the SAMs is actually guarded by the turret.

So, in frustration, I started screwing around and built sandbags right into the enemy base. Didn't take me long to realize the AI wouldn't attack them, so before long I had boxed in his barracks and troops, and cut the harvester from the refinery. Then I just started building stuff in his base, towers and barracks mostly. I started making engineers and went and took over most of the buildings, which the Nod defenses would then start attacking... I essentially made them kill their own base. After that, winning was a piece of cake.

Am I a bad person?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No, perfectly valid tactic. It was always fun to somehow sneak an engineer into the enemy's base and take over the buildings. Especially the construction yard.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, but... the "I build a wall around your refinery so you can't have any more resources" part... ah, I guess it's alright since that'd never work against a human opponent anyway. Cheese tactics are fair game against the computer, I suppose. :P

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, but... the "I build a wall around your refinery so you can't have any more resources" part... ah, I guess it's alright since that'd never work against a human opponent anyway. Cheese tactics are fair game against the computer, I suppose. :P

Yeah, this was a tactic way back in the days of Dune II as well. It was always fun building turrets right up to the enemy base.

Needless to say, AI and gameplay design have improved these days. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe it was called the "Spiderbase strategy".

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It is a little sad how overpowered an APC of engineers is. 10 tanks and a few dozen infantry? Get wiped out. 5 engineers and an APC? Cut off their construction and steal half of their money, and cripple their base.

I actually make a point of not destroying enemy bases. I always convert them entirely to my side (if the mission setup doesn't make that too impossible or anything).

Scooter on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One feature of Dune 2 that I'm amazed few (if any) games implement even today is automatic repair flights.

Basically you built your carryall's (Dune 2's equivalent of a troop transport, could carry any vehicle, and probably any infantry) and they operated on automatic. When your spice harvester filled up in the field, it wouldn't trundle back to base, it would wait and then get picked up by one of your carryall's and flown back to the refinery in a few seconds. But the BEST bit about them was that when a unit reached 50% or less of its health, a carryall would fly out to it and dump it into your vehicle repair bay (assuming you hbad one at the time).

I wish a feature like that had been present in Supreme Commander. After the cool stuff they did with ferry points and how patrolling aircraft automatically returned to refuel and repair, I was kind of expecting the ability to set my transports to take my units out of battle after a certain % damage, and then fly them back in.

subedii on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    It is a little sad how overpowered an APC of engineers is. 10 tanks and a few dozen infantry? Get wiped out. 5 engineers and an APC? Cut off their construction and steal half of their money, and cripple their base.

I actually make a point of not destroying enemy bases. I always convert them entirely to my side (if the mission setup doesn't make that too impossible or anything).

There was a C&C game I HATED playing because the AI would always send an APC in with engineers and take over my entire base in the first 2 minutes of the game.

I don't remember which C&C game it was though.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember that happening to me alot in Tiberian Sun & Red Alert 2. In Tiberian Sun, Nod would use those underground transports and pop up in the middle of my base. The cement was a life saver.

Akoot on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the AI would constantly try to engi you in Tiberian Sun.

Make sure you patch it up, then you can cement and quickly wall up your MCV and any other buildings that don't produce units.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah that's what I did. I'd also have a patch of no pavement near my MCV with lots of turrets surrounding it. Thinking about the game makes me remember the fun strategies in it. Like the harvester full of blue tiberium dropped into the enemy base by a carryall.

Akoot on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I started with WC2 myself, and my RTS experience had been pretty much limited to Blizzard, Myth and some AoE (until I realized how much that series sucks, that is).

Assuming you're referring to Age of Empires, D:.

I grew up on AoE, AoE: RoR, and AoK. Man.

(I don't include Age of Mythology as part of the series, btw. And I haven't played AoE 3, because by that time I'd converted to Rise of Nations.)

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »

(I don't include Age of Mythology as part of the series, btw. And I haven't played AoE 3, because by that time I'd converted to Rise of Nations.)

Yes. Age of Empires sucks, it is sterile, it has no personnality and all the sides not only play the same, but LOOK the same, too. It feels like it was designed, drawn and coded by a soulless machine with no concept of "fun", "attractive" or "variety". Seriously, it's like the designers had a checklist of everything that should be in an RTS and just checked every box without breathing any life into it. I hate that.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Yes. Age of Empires sucks, it is sterile, it has no personnality and all the sides not only play the same, but LOOK the same, too. It feels like it was designed, drawn and coded by a soulless machine with no concept of "fun", "attractive" or "variety". Seriously, it's like the designers had a checklist of everything that should be in an RTS and just checked every box without breathing any life into it. I hate that.

Burn in a fire. Rise of Rome and The Conquerors is awesome.

rayofash on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

There was a C&C game I HATED playing because the AI would always send an APC in with engineers and take over my entire base in the first 2 minutes of the game.

I don't remember which C&C game it was though.

That would be Red Alert 2. This can be solved by building walls around your construction yard and building like 2 defense turrents by it. they'll always try for the con yard so they just get massacred by the turrets.

Me and my friend tried playing C&C 1 at the weekend, got it working over LAN with the patch we found here. And oh my god it's the slowest game in the history of man. It takes YEARS to get any units, even on the second highest speed setting!. and whats with having to have all your buildings touching? These things are both fine in single player as it's balanced for it, but in multi if you start by some trees you're screwed cos you can't build anything!

Then we played red alert for a bit and realised just how tight it was in comparison.

Then we played red alert 2 for a bit and laughed at the rubbish AI.

It was a good weekend.

malerik on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Okay, GDI mission 11 can seriously fuck right off and die. The guys just attack relentlessly and I begin with 6 grenadiers and an undeployed base. I can't even build it up, I just get ass-reamed before I can even build any defenses, much less take out that fucking base.

D:

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm stuck on an alternate mission where you have to protect Mobius's hospital.

Except the fucking civilians, which count as a failure if 9 of them die, like to walk around in the tiberium and kill themselves.

re: above poster, sometimes on those lone unit missions you really need to turn the speed down. You see, in TibDawn the computer can make a decision for each "tick". On the fastest speed, waiting a couple of seconds to place a building down lets the computer decide to make 3 different units and move a couple of forces to attack. On the slow speeds, waiting a couple of seconds only lets them decide to build a unit.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ugh, I remember both of the above missions -- the former from when I replayed the game in The First Decade, and the latter during my original playthrough 12 years ago.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I'm stuck on an alternate mission where you have to protect Mobius's hospital.

Except the fucking civilians, which count as a failure if 9 of them die, like to walk around in the tiberium and kill themselves.

re: above poster, sometimes on those lone unit missions you really need to turn the speed down. You see, in TibDawn the computer can make a decision for each "tick". On the fastest speed, waiting a couple of seconds to place a building down lets the computer decide to make 3 different units and move a couple of forces to attack. On the slow speeds, waiting a couple of seconds only lets them decide to build a unit.

I hated that hospital mission so much.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg