As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I wasn't really that into a lot of Earth One, but I did like Birthday Boy as a sort of crossover point from "normal murderers/mobsters" to "bizarre themed villains"

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    He wasn't. Pre New 52 he had just wrapped up the Secret Six arc, which was all about him learning to appreciate other people more, even developing a fatherly relationship with Scandal Savage, but then rejecting that and going back to trying to kill Batman. Still, he deferred to his team and some issues, and while he was a cold-blooded killer he killed with purpose.

So, now, the New 52 version is yet another in a long line of shitty Bane stories. Which is a shame, he's got one of the more interesting personalities of the Bat-villains.

Yeah damn. This issue was really gory and just in bad taste really. He's just killing dudes left and right but they all worship him like a god. It also sort of implies that he kills a young girl.

They've basically taken Movie Bane and put him through an Avatar Comics filter. Haha okay nothing is as gorey as Avatar but it leans heavily in that direction.

I also thought Bane used to e pretty interesting because he was all about disciplin and strategy! The only cool thin is it looks like he's starting an all out war with the Court of Owls.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    I also thought Bane used to e pretty interesting because he was all about disciplin and strategy! The only cool thin is it looks like he's starting an all out war with the Court of Owls.

RIP Court of Owls. It was nice knowin' ya.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'd say that Damian: Son of Batman was disappointing except that I expected it to be mediocre anyway so really it just met my expectations

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    I'd say that Damian: Son of Batman was disappointing except that I expected it to be mediocre anyway so really it just met my expectations

I read the preview and the voice for Damian seem waaaaaaay off.

• Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Agreed. He felt like a punk kid and not the haughty aristocrat in the making that Morrison always used for the character's voice. At least they kept the character's signature -ttt- verbalization of annoyance. I mean, this is a boy raised by Talia and the Batman...why would anyone think he'd speak even remotely like a regular kid?

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
    Yeah Damian's voice is terrible. He might as well be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. The fact that he switches to killing people at the drop of a hat is dumb, the reactions of the people around him are weird and underplayed, the art is GREAT. I just don't think that the art will carry me beyond the first issue. I think that Andy Kubert could have benefited from a writer.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The worst thing about the setup though is
    Batman died due to a booby-trapped Joker fish.

talk about story bait waka waka

somewhere old Aquaman is going "really dude?"

TexiKen on
    Yeah although to be fair, given the last page I think there's a bit more to it than that.

Still though really disapointing comic and very much the worst case scenario in terms of having Danian back!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What do you folks think of Batman Zero Year? I think it sounds really neat, at least in this interview. And that palette looks neat.

Hyb2NQR.jpg

It's pretty good. Snyder is aight. He's just a tiny bit too "Hollywood" for me. But he's not making a total mess of it or anything.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's pretty good. Snyder is aight. He's just a tiny bit too "Hollywood" for me. But he's not making a total mess of it or anything.

The most recent issue was the first where he really clicked for me. That was a good comic. Even before the New 52, I more appreciated his Batman run than liked it.

Severed and American Vampire are classics, though. I just think that, like Lemire, he's more at home with his own ideas than the franchise work.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Amigu
    what does "too hollywood" mean in hipster jargon?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I agree that Zero Year could've been much, much worse. It's far from perfect, and I don't think it's going to be an "essential story" in a few years when he's no longer leading the charge on the entire bat-line, but I'm actually liking a year-long revised origin story for Batman, which I never would've imagined back when it was first announced.

I am a little worried about the endings to his arcs so far though, because they've all been weak and fairly abrupt. My biggest problem with his run so far, though, is that beyond Alfred and a couple bits with Dick in Court of the Owls, the Bat family are more accessories to Bruce than actual characters. And I'm betting the weekly's focus on the cast will make this worse in the main Batman title.

@douglasdanger couldn't tell you, I'm a punk!

Kidding. I guess I'm trying to say nothing that Snyder does would look amiss in a big budget action movie. I really like some of the Hollywood action movies but there's a certain visual language that they use that I see mirrored in his work. Also there is a limit to what blockbusters can get away with. Basically there's no weirdness in Snyder's run. Well at least not compared to say Morrison's run. Snyder just strikes me as a writer who wishes he was working on a film script or a TV show.

There's a market for that and he does it really well but it's just not my sweet spot. I think comics can be more boudary breaking.

QEz1Jw1.png

Kidding. I guess I'm trying to say nothing that Snyder does would look amiss in a big budget action movie. I really like some of the Hollywood action movies but there's a certain visual language that they use that I see mirrored in his work. Also there is a limit to what blockbusters can get away with. Basically there's no weirdness in Snyder's run. Well at least not compared to say Morrison's run. Snyder just strikes me as a writer who wishes he was working on a film script or a TV show.

There's a market for that and he does it really well but it's just not my sweet spot. I think comics can be more boudary breaking.

Zombie ninja owls wasn't weird enough for you? I mean, yeah it's not as weird as Morrison's run, but anyone looking to out-weird Morrison is going to end up with a massive brain hemmorage, probably induced by hard drugs and black magic.

Good point. Court of Owls was probably my favourite arc so far. It's not just the themes though, it's just something about how the stories are told. Vague I know.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Good point. Court of Owls was probably my favourite arc so far. It's not just the themes though, it's just something about how the stories are told. Vague I know.

Plus, it gave us Talon which has been a pretty good comic!

I like Snyder, but his author-original work is on a whole level above in quality over his Batman work.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Plus, it gave us Talon which has been a pretty good comic!

I like Snyder, but his author-original work is on a whole level above in quality over his Batman work.

Even as someone who did enjoy the Joker arc I kind of feel like he is to much of a fanboy. His arcs are often looking back at Batman's past and tying things up and merging elements he likes with other elements he like but at the same time a refusal to actually touch what he feels is sacred. The Joker arc is full of references to past Joker stories and essentially wants to be part two of "Killing Joke" but at the same time he sort of pulls his punches. The idea that Batman did have the relationship with the Joker that has been speculated over the years and so is him ending that relationship but its afraid to actually change the Joker or Batman in anyway. Joker disappears in his usual style and Batman goes on. Snyder teases a shocking reveal from the past but it ends up so lame and mild youre confused.

Then his Red Hood and all of Year Zero has been cutting hard around anything that the Killing Joke or Year One did when he should have just wiped one of those away and started fresh.

Is it any surprise that something he added wholesale to the mythos unbeholden to previous stories has been the most well received?

Quire.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    DC even gave him the A-OK to change status quo's and do something big with the Joker arc and he pulled his punches and gave it a lame ending!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Batman: The Black Mirror is his best Batman story

Keith wrote: »
    Batman: The Black Mirror is his best Batman story

Super-agree. That arc was on a whole other level. Ah, how I miss the days of Grayson as Batman. I've been told it's sacriligous, but I massively prefer Grayson as Batman to Wayne. I'm a sucker for the weight on the shoulders of a legacy hero though. I would've even liked to have seen an arc where Connor tried to fill Superman's shoes if the previous line had survived. Alas, it seems Legacy is a dirty word now...

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    So, Batman #28 spoiler and Batman Eternal teaser
    hsNmaa9.jpg

There's also
    15F9bMq.jpg
    Harper Row, going by the name Bluebird

m1w89e4.jpg
    Mystery Batcomputer operator. Most likely Carrie Kelly

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    With that name, it makes me wonder if Snyder is a fan of The Explorers Club.

Interesting that Batman may end up with an all female back up team.

I hope Snyder will actually use them.

His stories have revolved around the Bat-family so far, but the family itself seems to only show up for a few pages here and there to be used as a plot device. It's the most frustrating thing about his run for me.

Also I really don't want to pick up Eternal, but I acknowledge that it will probably be good.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    gross, didn't even see this double post

AtomicTofu on
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I hope Snyder will actually use them.

His stories have revolved around the Bat-family so far, but the family itself seems to only show up for a few pages here and there to be used as a plot device. It's the most frustrating thing about his run for me.

Also I really don't want to pick up Eternal, but I acknowledge that it will probably be good.
    Finally, you mentioned that you wanted to focus on the new generation of these new Bat allies -- does that mean we're not going to see the regular Bat family members making an appearance?

No, they're all over the book. Tim is all over the book, Harper is all over the book; I don't want to say anything about Dick only because his status is more of a mystery right now because of what's happening in "Forever Evil" and I don't want to give away any spoilers about what's going to happen to him. There are big stories for your favorite Bat characters and there are stories for the new ones too -- we just want it to be a big celebration of all things Batman this year.

Yeah, in Eternal, but I was hoping we'd get to see them in whatever the next current-day arc of Batman is. My worry is that Batman will be taking a back seat to Eternal, where all the status quo changing stuff happens in Eternal and Batman is just him having more solo adventures.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    I don't understand, is
    Spoiler
    actually a popular character?

• SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    I don't understand, is
    Spoiler
    actually a popular character?
    I think she became more popular as Batgirl, but yeah, she's fairly popular. I didn't realize that until I started reading these forums a few years back, but she seems to have a pretty major cult following.

Edit: Damn it, you got me.

Sinogue on
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    I don't really understand that. The character just seemed to be a dumping ground for Bad Things (R) to happen to her. How is she interesting in any way?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    she's a batgirl that isnt barbara gordon, a fact that apparently pleases a lot of people considering cass cain also somehow has a fanbase

i never really liked either of them

She's a character that is representative of an under-represented part of the fanbase, in what seems to have been a very positive way during her times as Spoiler and Batgirl.

Pretty much any character that has been around for more than a couple years is going to have an outspoken fanbase, though.

I'm still pressing to get Bibbo back into comics.

Zyrxil wrote: »
    I don't really understand that. The character just seemed to be a dumping ground for Bad Things (R) to happen to her. How is she interesting in any way?

She started out as a character that wanted to be a superhero just because she could (and to stop her dad's crimes). She's also a strong female character that fights for what she wants; most of her career had the Bat-family telling her to stop being a superhero but she kept on going anyway and eventually proved herself to them.

Plus, despite "bad things" happening to her a lot, she was pretty much the only genuinely happy/bright character in the Bat-family.

I became a fan during her stint as Batgirl.

Like Keith said, she was a happy Bat family character. Her interactions with Damien were fantastic.

• Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, there was actually kind of a backlash to her being named Batgirl as I recall it. Part of that was further distancing Cass from the Bat family, but part of it was also that I don't think a lot of people were clamoring for more Spoiler. But Bryan Q Miller's run was fantastic and Steph specifically was a lot of fun.

Merlin the Tuna on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    ...must not go on Batgirl rant...

I'll just link an article on Steph instead.