As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    EDIT: How the fuck can Titanfall be "revealed" when we've already seen a metric shit ton of the game in action already?

The reveals have been watered down for a couple of years now. It'll just be a second trailer.
    EDIT: Oops, sorry.

Borrowing from GAF:

twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/405875619084664833
    twitter.com/camilluddington/status/405944572825452544

Tomb Raider PS4/Xbone ports and a Tomb Raider 2 announcement then.

It'd be funny if they only announced the ports though, as it'd be a great example of Square Enix Europe (Eidos) vastly over-estimating how many people give a shit about their series. Ports are the things you announce quietly, not with a bang. Especially when you appear on a show with Uncharted 4, a game that will easily outsell Tomb Raider on just one console.

ZING.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Would they have had enough time to really do anything for a new Tomb Raider? They would still hopefully be over a year and a half (or more) away if they want to make another game of the same quality. I would predict it's just an up port to PS4/Xbone.

But maybe if we're lucky they have added a bunch of extra single player content because honestly, nobody gave a shit about the multiplayer in that game whatsoever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    if they add some new content to the next-gen port of Tomb Raider then it might be worth another playthrough. but yeah, its certainly something that could be announced any day of the week. it doesn't need any fanfare. i do think its a bit early for the sequel reveal though. think we may have to wait for E3 for that one.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Would they have had enough time to really do anything for a new Tomb Raider? They would still hopefully be over a year and a half (or more) away if they want to make another game of the same quality. I would predict it's just an up port to PS4/Xbone.

But maybe if we're lucky they have added a bunch of extra single player content because honestly, nobody gave a shit about the multiplayer in that game whatsoever.

Warner teased Batman: Arkham City at the VGAs a year and a half before release, so I figure that's what they'll do here. I definitely think they're going to be aiming for a shorter turn around with the sequel though, as they really can't afford another 4-5 year development cycle and $100 million budget.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    AC was also teased insanely early in Game Informer.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Most games are teased insanely early in GI.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »

Your way of thinking about what games should be is stuck in the past

Quality over quantity...

But there is a reason people have been playing the Original Mario Bros. for 25 years now, why Nintendo has had it on every one of their systems. It's because its a classic that still is as good to play now as it was 25 years ago. Same reason people still instill Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines when ever they see that one thread pop up. The games we have now you wouldn't give two shits about playing again in three years. You won't see Sony porting all their PS3 games over to PS4, just the newer ones that people might not have played yet. Heavenly Swords might not get a 4D Virtual Reality Update in the future like Prince of Persia got with it's HD updates. So if I'm old fashion about game designs and what counts as a good game, then I must not be the only one.

I guess we will run ourselves in circles arguing the point but I believe you can have Quality and Quantity without sacrificing one or both. Personally, I don't care how much work was done to get people's faces as realistic as possible. When ugly games like Minecraft can outsell 99% of the console market, it might be time to rethink what's important to gamers.

The Last of Us didn't go for 'quality over quantity' though. It had a story that they gave as much time to as they felt was necessary. It's actually admirable that they didn't pad the length of it with elements that didn't really tie into the narrative.
    Heck, Portal and Portal 2, both fairly short games (the first being incredibly short) were two of the best received games of the generation, if not of all time, and for good reason. They were both incredible.

It's perfectly okay if you personally aren't into narrative based single player games. It really is. That doesn't make them bad though.
    The Last of Us did a fantastic job of combining story, well conveyed characters, and gameplay, into an incredible overall experience. People aren't lauding it for 'realistic faces'. They're lauding it for delivering an incredible, impacting experience. If you didn't get that out of playing it, that's okay, though I almost feel sorry for you, because it was an incredible experience.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    As much as I bitch about Last of Us, I did enjoy it but like I said I enjoyed GTA V more. My favorite games on the PS3 were Heavy Rain and Siren Blood Curse so its nothing about disliking narrative games.

Again its my option vs. yours and we are both wrong and right.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    High five for the Heavy Rain and Siren Blood Curse love! I never finished Blood Curse so i'm playing back through it at the moment, my only issue with it is it's SO dark. I don't mean in tone, I mean literally, it is a DARK game.

Heavy Rain is also one of my favourite games of this generation, along with Uncharted 2 (ok, all of the Uncharteds). Beyond: Two Souls I'm just tying up now, it's certainly not as good as Heavy Rain but I've enjoyed it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Its almost impossible to play with lights on cause of glare. I played that whole game at night with no lights on and it was an experience.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

More hints (images instead of embedded because the questions are important as well:

WjvZ7cC.jpg

8jeWekA.jpg

So that basically confirms the first proper gameplay reveal of The Order: 1886, as well as something Broken Age related (console port?).

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    More hints (images instead of embedded because the questions are important as well:
    WjvZ7cC.jpg

8jeWekA.jpg

So that basically confirms the first proper gameplay reveal of The Order: 1886, as well as something Broken Age related (console port?).

it confirms that The Order will be shown in some capacity at least. hopefully we'll get to see some gamelay, but i wouldn't be surprised if we just get another trailer.

WjvZ7cC.jpg

8jeWekA.jpg

it confirms that The Order will be shown in some capacity at least. hopefully we'll get to see some gamelay, but i wouldn't be surprised if we just get another trailer.

Geoff also replied to another tweet suggesting a gameplay reveal with "that would be a good idea," so I'm pretty sure it'll happen. Plus, they've already released screenshots and off-screen gameplay footage, so it's not like they're hiding it.

WjvZ7cC.jpg

8jeWekA.jpg

Geoff also replied to another tweet suggesting a gameplay reveal with "that would be a good idea," so I'm pretty sure it'll happen. Plus, they've already released screenshots and off-screen gameplay footage, so it's not like they're hiding it.

fair enough. it will be nice to see it in action. wonder if we'll get any hint at a release. even just the usual vagueness of Summer/Fall 2014 would be fine.

WjvZ7cC.jpg

8jeWekA.jpg

fair enough. it will be nice to see it in action. wonder if we'll get any hint at a release. even just the usual vagueness of Summer/Fall 2014 would be fine.

Funny you mention this as Tim Moss (director of tech at Sony Santa Monica) just tweeted this to one of Ready at Dawn's founders a couple of days ago:

So if I were to guess, I'd say The Order in September and Uncharted 4 in Oct/Nov.

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Sony usually releases 3 or 4 big first titles a year and spreads them out

1 in Feb/March - aka The GOW slot
    1 in June/E3 time - aka the Infamous/Tlou slot
    -sometimes 1 in September/october If they have 2 late in the year blockbusters - The LBP/Beyong 2 souls slot
    1 in November - The Uncharted/GT slot

I can see Uncharted 4 in november and The order in That June slot

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The problem here is that we as gamers have stopped asking for better games.
    What's this "we" shit?

More on topic: The fact that Hotline Miami isn't anywhere on those lists is a fucking travesty.

Hotline miami was last year though.

steam_sig.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    12 hours is a long game to me, if a game is over 12 hours I'll probably pass it by (with the exception of handheld titles).

I'd rather have a tightly crafted, shorter, single player experience than a long drawn out one. It's why I usually avoid open world games, or at the least just stick to the main story missions.

If I were to pick a Game of the Year it'd be a choice between:

The Last of Us
    Guacamelee
    Dragon's Crown
    Rayman Origins

So by default in the VGAs I'd have to go: The Last of Us.

AMEN

open world games lack a decent story, and focus. It makes it very hard to care about the story the world and the characters

Can you imagine how boringly watered down TLOU would be If we had to go gather up 25 clicker heads for some insignificant collector who has literally nothing to do with the main story line?
    Is there any video game website/magazine end of the year awards that anybody actually trusts/take seriously?

I will admit this knowing full well it will be ridiculed but I like metacritics award process...
    Their awards go to the top game in each category and GOTY goes to highest reviewed game to come out that year

no MS, Nintendo, SONY bias
    no Mario/zelda bias/anti bias
    No FPS anti bias
    No PC bias

Just numbers... and numbers never lie

A lot of people like the Giantbomb GOTY awards but they're hardly taken seriously. Even so, they're taken far more seriously than Metacritic's awards, which are a joke (just like Metacritic scores).

The only legit awards the industry has are the GDC Awards and BAFTA Game Awards.

Yea alot of people on this forum seem to love the giant bomb guys... i dont get it lol

Every single open world game I've ever played became monotonous after the 20-30 hour mark except for Red Dead Redemption. They caught magic in a bottle with that game. I poured hundreds of hours into Skyrim, but I look back on that more as a shameful addiction than anything I'm truly glad I spent the time on. It's a beautiful wilderness with no heart, I constantly kept feeling like Bethesda thinks I'm a child but I kept playing anyway.

Studios just need to treat their audience with more maturity for stuff to get better. TLoU and most everything Rockstar puts out are great examples. Spec Ops was a masterpiece that just happened to play like shit, intentionally.

Then you should play Saints Row IV. It has story, fun characters and is a great game. Plus the open world jerkishness is all part of the setting since the Boss is a narcissistic psycho-er, "puckish rogue".

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I wonder if he says in-engine instead of in-game because it's all just a bunch of bullshit that won't be anything like the game we eventually play.

In engine would be a trailer made with the in game engine
    as opposed to in game which is gameplay footage

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Last of Us better take every damn category. All of them. Every single one, even best xbox game because why the fuck not?

Oh, Zelda can have handheld.

I'm absolutely expecting a graphical downgrade similar to what happened with Watch Dogs. Maybe it won't show yet but I get the feeling Ubisoft are deliberately releasing bullshit gameplay trailers (bullplay?) to make the most of the next gen hype. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Anyway, some news:
    • Reggie said "new look at an upcoming Wii U game" about their appearance, so it's obviously a game that's already been announced. Bayonetta 2 is my guess.
    • Dying Light is confirmed.
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth is confirmed, with Matt and Trey making appearances.

Either this show is going to be absolutely packed with games or there's going to be very little actually announced because so far, they've got a lot of games that have already been announced.

So here's my current lists:

Confirmed reveals
    • Broken Age
    • The Division
    • Dying Light
    • Quantum Break
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth
    • Thief
    • Titanfall
    • The Witcher 3

Rumoured reveals
    • Fallout 4
    • Mass Effect 4
    • The Order: 1886
    • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4/XBO)
    • Uncharted PS4
    • Unknown Nintendo Title (previously announced)
    • Unknown Sony Santa Monica New IP

well they seem to be making major changes to the show this year with a larger focus on reveals and new looks at up coming titles. from the shows site,
    While its roots lie in the Video Game Awards, VGX will abandon the traditional Hollywood style award show to feature more world premiere game trailers than ever before, plus extended deep dives into the next generation of games, new looks at gaming culture, one-on-one interviews with the industry’s most visionary creatives and expert panels digging into what’s coming to consoles in 2014 and beyond. The new format features more games, less fame, in an intimate studio setting.

http://www.spike.com/vgx/about

and its starting pretty early too, 6PM ET/3PM PT, no idea how long it's set to run for though. it could be that we'll see a total reversal of what they've done in previous years and instead of an awards show with trailers thrown in it'll be more 'Hey have a look at all this cool stuff that coming soon! oh and we're giving out some awards too', which is how people looked at it anyway.

• JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hopefully that Nintendo reveal is smash bros. They haven't announced any new characters or really shown gameplay since e3.

Plus everybody loves smash, it might sell a few more consoles than boyonetta 2.

Jediabiwan on
    well they seem to be making major changes to the show this year with a larger focus on reveals and new looks at up coming titles. from the shows site,
    While its roots lie in the Video Game Awards, VGX will abandon the traditional Hollywood style award show to feature more world premiere game trailers than ever before, plus extended deep dives into the next generation of games, new looks at gaming culture, one-on-one interviews with the industry’s most visionary creatives and expert panels digging into what’s coming to consoles in 2014 and beyond. The new format features more games, less fame, in an intimate studio setting.

http://www.spike.com/vgx/about

and its starting pretty early too, 6PM ET/3PM PT, no idea how long it's set to run for though. it could be that we'll see a total reversal of what they've done in previous years and instead of an awards show with trailers thrown in it'll be more 'Hey have a look at all this cool stuff that coming soon! oh and we're giving out some awards too', which is how people looked at it anyway.

It does sound like it'll be a much better show this year (though Spike's still producing it, so it'll still be fairly trashy) but I also think that since it's not being shown on live TV (Spike are showing delayed footage on Monday at a shitty hour), publishers won't be as willing to announce big games on it. And while there will almost certainly be more people streaming it than would watch it on TV, I doubt publishers will see it that way.

i think a large part of the audience has always been people streaming it anyway. i'd guess that it has a pretty decent global audience and yet it only gets shown on TV in NA(only US?), and the earlier show time, and it being a Saturday makes it an easier sell for people in other territories(Europe at least, Aus/NZ might be a bit late).

also, there's still the day after when all those trailers are up on youtube and being posted on every gaming forum and every gaming site. there's still plenty of exposure to be had. you'd think if any industry was aware of the power of the internet as a marketing tool, it'd be the games industry. it's pretty much where the bulk of their marketing is done already.

I will be up to watch it actually.

I am curious to see if they fuck it up or not really.

famous last words and all that, but i can't see how they could possibly make it any worse than it's been in the past.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    famous last words and all that, but i can't see how they could possibly make it any worse than it's been in the past.
    hahahahah on man, I think that takes a serious lack of imagination. Let me just leave you with two words: poop onstage.

If you want to get an idea how, check out the PS4 and Xbone launch events they ran.

i watched the PS4 event. i don't think it was inherently worse than the VGAs have been, reveals being way over hyped beforehand aside. didn't watch the Xbone event though. but yeah, i expect a general theme of crapiness, just not to any greater level than we've seen previously.

at the very least i'm sure you could make a good drinking game out of it. that's gotta be worth something right?

It depends on how much I value my liver the next day.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    hahahahah on man, I think that takes a serious lack of imagination. Let me just leave you with two words: poop onstage.

*Day after VGX*
    It would be irresponsible to say that all he did on stage was poop. He used poop, yes - because poop was his medium.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Double post due to forums shitting their pants... Hey at least they are keeping with the theme.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    i think a large part of the audience has always been people streaming it anyway. i'd guess that it has a pretty decent global audience and yet it only gets shown on TV in NA(only US?), and the earlier show time, and it being a Saturday makes it an easier sell for people in other territories(Europe at least, Aus/NZ might be a bit late).

also, there's still the day after when all those trailers are up on youtube and being posted on every gaming forum and every gaming site. there's still plenty of exposure to be had. you'd think if any industry was aware of the power of the internet as a marketing tool, it'd be the games industry. it's pretty much where the bulk of their marketing is done already.

I know but I think the idea is that the people that go out of their way to watch the stream will find out about the news regardless, whereas being on TV may capture a mainstream audience. It's pretty shitty logic because no-one watched the VGAs anyway but it's the logic most executives use for some stupid reason.

Oh and it's FAR from being on late in NZ. It's on at noon on Sunday. The west coast of the US is GMT-8 and we're GMT+12, so it's actually pretty close. It'll be a lot worse in Europe, where it'll end at 3-4AM.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    ...Isn't CliffyB unemployed at the moment?

What the hell could he possibly be working on?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    deilY2O.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

This discussion has been closed.