As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shaving the noggin UPDATE: Page 2

AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I've never been too happy with my hair in the past few years. This is partly because it's difficult to get it to look good, but moreso because I actually started losing my hair at age 17 (I'm now 20). My hair's very very noticably thin, especially when looking down on me, and I practically have no bangs anymore.

So I'm thinking of dispensing with the pretenses and just shaving it.

I can think of some pros for this (no more washing hair, don't have to deal with it in the morning), as well as some cons (number of things I gotta shave gets increased to 3). I just wish there was a way to test this out without taking the plunge and having to live with the results for a good while.

I know it's hard to give advice without a look at my face, and I don't have a recent shot, but here you go:

eliasattacksfx8.jpg

That was 3 years ago last month, and my hair's gotten much more thin. I'm just posting it so you might be able to imagine how I'd look shaved. Make note that I actually wear glasses about 50% of the time.

Andorien on

• A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well how down are you on the thinning hair? I say shave it (not skin, with the razor blade) if it will help you be happy again. Its really not so bad, you can probably pull it off just fine. Just leave a little hair, you know so that its dark, and not just skin.

A-Rod on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    I say go for it. Of course, I use a bic on my head, so I would say that. People underestimate how quickly their hair grows, too. After 5-6 days, mine grows enough that it looks like I have a weird buzzcut where all my hair is the same length.

Also, glasses are good with a shaved head. It makes your head look less, for lack of a better word, naked. Take the plunge. Also, make sure you have a good cap/hat of some kind. During the summer, you can get a sunburn (which sucks) and during the winter, let's just say I never believed the "you lose 30% of your body heat through your head" thing until I started shaving. You do.

Doc on
  • TelemachusTelemachus uncomfy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You're a good-looking guy; you could pull it off. If you do go with a shorn scalp, you might want to borrow electric clippers if you know someone with a pair. It's surprising how much of a difference a tiny bit of hair can make, and you can incrementally trim more off if you don't like it. They make clippers that vaccuum the hair as you trim it, which drastically reduces the amount of work involved.

Telemachus on
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You look remarkably like a red X inside a white box....

If I could see the pic, I'd chime in. But without seeing what you look like, I can't really give a fair opinion. Ah hell, just shave it.

Double Deuce on
    edited September 2006
    You look remarkably like a red X inside a white box....

If I could see the pic, I'd chime in. But without seeing what you look like, I can't really give a fair opinion. Ah hell, just shave it.

Did you base that name off of the bar in Roadhouse, or something else?

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Did you base that name off of the bar in Roadhouse, or something else?

I've never seen Roadhouse. It's been in my Netflix queue for like three months. :wink:

Double Deuce on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maybe he had a nice poop before signing up here, Doc.

As for shaving, it really does grow in fast. If you have a reasonably idea that you don't have any weird bulges on your head, then you'll look fine with a shaved head and you can see how you like it.

Or, Halloween is coming up, sort of, so just wait until then and shave it. Then, if you feel you look silly or people give you shit just tell them it was for your Hallloween costume. That's how I decided on if I like having a mohawk or not the first time.

shadowane on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ok, I'm still not 100%, but I'd like to know more about the process.

Right now, I've just got my normal razor (Mach 3 turbo), and a standard 3 disk(is that what those round things are called) electric razor that I don't use very much. I have no idea which to use or how to go about doing it.

What is a shorn scalp?

Andorien on
    edited September 2006
    If you can borrow some electric trimmers from someone, it will be a huge help. You'd want to use the bare metal (no attachments) clippers to get it down to long-ish stubble. If you still feel like it, use the Mach 3 to take off the rest.

I use a thing called a headblade ( http://www.headblade.com ) for the top and upper sides. They sell them at some drug stores. They are nice if you are considering keeping it up.

How tall are you? It tends to look better on taller guys.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    If you can borrow some electric trimmers from someone, it will be a huge help. You'd want to use the bare metal (no attachments) clippers to get it down to long-ish stubble. If you still feel like it, use the Mach 3 to take off the rest.

I use a thing called a headblade ( http://www.headblade.com ) for the top and upper sides. They sell them at some drug stores. They are nice if you are considering keeping it up.

How tall are you? It tends to look better on taller guys.

I don't think I have access to any electric trimmers, though I suppose I could look around. I don't actually know anyone who's gone and done this personally.

I'm 5'8".

Andorien on
    edited September 2006
    Anyone who seems like they might do haircuts will probably have trimmers. They're good for more than just shaving heads. If you can't find someone, though, you could just snag a pair at Target for $30-$40. If you end up liking the results, that'll pay for itself pretty quickly.

Telemachus on
    edited September 2006
    Seriously, can everyone else see his picture? Why can't I?

Double Deuce on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006

I can't either.

ege02 on
    edited September 2006

try this.

Andorien on
    edited September 2006
    I had to do the old right click, view image.
    You won't regret it :winky:

Oh...nevermind then.

Telemachus on
    edited September 2006
    Okay, yeah, I'd try shaving it. I think it'd look good on you.

Double Deuce on
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the help everyone, I'm probably going to mull it over for the next couple days at least. Until then, feel free to throw more suggestions/insights/kinky fantasies.

If I go through with it, I'll try to get a photo up.

Andorien on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    if you are good with photoshop you could always mock up a shaved head picture to give you a general idea of what you might look like.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm not sure if you are aware of this but HAIR GROWS.

I've shaved mine off to about a half, within two month's it'll be of length where you can restyle to something short with shape.

I don't regret doing it at all I've always wanted to see how I look with shaved head, now I know. (My girlfriend at the time however, not terribly impressed)

Blake T on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    is.. is he planning on shaving with the sword?

Deusfaux on
    edited September 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    is.. is he planning on shaving with the sword?

Yes.

Andorien on
  • SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    With that pic being a little out of date it is hard to tell whether or not you should go with the Mr. Clean look. I was in the same boat, started losing hair around 17 and at age 21 I has a noticably receeding hairline. Sucked. I started shaving my head about 4 months ago, and I love it. Before you actually go ahead and take the plunge, go to a barber and let them know what you're going to do. They will give you a super short cut, and that makes it easy to do the rest yourself. I typically use either a Mach3 or a Fusion when I'm shaving my head, both give you a VERY close shave. As far as shaving cream/gel I'd recommend something called "Head Slick". It's a mentholated cream that comes in a little yellow and black dispenser. It's made by the same company as the Headblade (as earler mentioned). I also tried using the headblade earlier when I started shaving, but I found that after I used a traditional razor I really couldn't get as close with the Headblade.
    Whaever you decide to do, realize that it is a pretty major transformation (appearancewise). People will most likely have strong opinions about how it looks, and surprisingly enough most of them will be good. People who don't think it looks good typically won't say anything, so you should get nothing but good feedback. The earlier poster is right, your hair does grow back pretty fast. Worst case scenario, you have to wait a week or two and you end up with an all over buzz cut.
    Some studies have shown that a shaven head adds 10% muscle mass!
    Good luck!
    (No studies actually exist to this effect)

SigmaCondition on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Andorien,

I am in the exact same boat as you, excepting the fact that I'm twenty-eight and have been shaving my head for three years (and I'm 5'11"). Let me preface my whole position by saying one simple thing:

You will look like a pimp-supreme if you shave your head.

Having thinning hair is not a crime; having a combover is a crime. There is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting Mother Nature's little whims and going with the flow. The sooner you start taking it down to a buzz, the sooner everyone will realize that you are a mature adult with more confidence than that thirty-year-old guy who wears a ponytail to hide his bald spot. After getting accustomed to the buzz, shaving it actually looks better. And it feels better too.

As for your particular features, I look somewhat similar to you: dark eyes, heavy eyebrows, a bit of a babyface. It won't look bad as long as you don't have any nasty bumps or skull surgery, and even then, it's a conversation piece. Go with it; revel in the fact that bald is ALWAYS in style and save money on expensive products.

footnote: If you decide to shave, get a buzz first, then tan, then shave to give your head an all around even skin tone. And if you do decide to shave, I've found that a moisturizing body wash with aloe vera (Lever 2000, I love you) can help your scalp remain smooth and supple without losing excess skin oil. (But then, I have slightly oily skin, so, your call....)

Darth Waiter on
  • MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've been thinking about doing this too, although I'll probably wait until winter break, or after graduation (I'm a senior now). One thing I've always wondered is, are all heads shiny under the hair? Almost everyone I see with a shaved head is shiny, which is a look I'd personally rather avoid. Do people do something to make it shiny, or do you have to do something to make it non-shiny? It should be noted that I'd probably leave a little bit of stubble, enough so that my head is still brown, but I'm sure scalp would be visible underneath.

MengerSponge on
    edited September 2006
    Mine goes matte fairly quickly. You could just get electric clippers and use them without an attachment. That gets fairly close.

Doc on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thats what I use. It reduces it to a barely visible, but quite potent, stubble. I like the added traction, personally, and it isn't shiny. But if you like smooth, clippers are definately not for you, not as a complete solution anyway.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited September 2006
    24 hours of stubble feels a lot like very coarse sandpaper. It's great when I do JiuJitsu. People let go of headlocks really fast when I start to slide out. :D

Doc on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm just going to give you my condolences, Andorien.

My hair started thinning when I was 17. It sorta goes through spurts, every couple of years I get a couple months of thinning. By the time I'm 30, I'll probably be shaving my head, too; for now, I'm just enjoying it while I've got it. :?

More stem cells, dammit! I don't care if it involves injecting dead babies into my scalp, I want my hair!

Thanatos on
    edited November 2006
    UPDATE:

Well, I did it. No pictures since I don't have a camera, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I was thinking I'd have to go through a period of getting used to it before I decided I liked it.

Now I get to see the look on the parents' faces in the morning.

Andorien on