As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - Them There End Times

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I groan every time Jerry starts writing this kind of stuff. I grew up in the South and I have never, in my entire life, met a single person that speaks this way.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    I groan every time Jerry starts writing this kind of stuff. I grew up in the South and I have never, in my entire life, met a single person that speaks this way.

I think this guy could just as easily be from some Spokane exurb.

I find the expression on the baby's face highly amusing.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular

Pretty much this. For that matter, I once had an employee who was born and raised in the wedgwood/sand point area of seattle who talked more or less like this, complete with bizarre similes (e.g. one time he described a customer as being "madder'n a bobcat inna briar bush")

faits.png
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    faits wrote: »

Pretty much this. For that matter, I once had an employee who was born and raised in the wedgwood/sand point area of seattle who talked more or less like this, complete with bizarre similes (e.g. one time he described a customer as being "madder'n a bobcat inna briar bush")

Amazing. All my life I've had folks adopt this shitty mode of speech as soon as they hear I'm from the South, and it's always baffled me. It would be truly crazy if folks thought that's how Southerners talk based on people they've known who lived in the absolute farthest point from the South in all of the continental United States.

• OolongOolong Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure Jerry has referred to this as something along the lines of "Modern Carny," so it's not supposed to be a Southern thing.

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Can somebody translate word bubble in the second panel to normal English?

steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah I readily recognize that accent as uneducated semi rural rather than southern.

More importantly I desperately want that middle panel sans text.

• HelicaonHelicaon Registered User regular
    They are going to take Photographs of my backyard, analyse my canines' faeces, work out what kind of dog food I feed them and send me some gosh-darned coupons for the brand he loves best?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Can somebody translate word bubble in the second panel to normal English?

"They're going to take pictures of my backyard, analyzing my dog's shit. Figure out what kind of dog food he's eating. Send me some kind of goddamn coupe for what he likes best."

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    @Helicaon @KalTorak
    Thanks. Now I see it.

steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I really hope there's a podcast for this one.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

I grew up in Michigan and aside from the "gul demm" and "animalizin" I hear somebody talking like this every few months or so. Every few days if it's an election year. It has gone down substantially now that I'm not working in retail, at least.

Hevach on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think this Prime Air idea is awesome, but I doubt it'll ever become a thing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    faits wrote: »

Amazing. All my life I've had folks adopt this shitty mode of speech as soon as they hear I'm from the South, and it's always baffled me. It would be truly crazy if folks thought that's how Southerners talk based on people they've known who lived in the absolute farthest point from the South in all of the continental United States.
    Come to Arizona. You will be amazed at the number of people who speak this way.

I don't think it's supposed to mirror any sort of real accent. Just one Jerry likes to make up. Judging by Mike's tweet about the "privacy nuts" in Seattle, I would say that this strip is about one of those Seattle people.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think this Prime Air idea is awesome, but I doubt it'll ever become a thing.

I honestly don't see the point. Seems like it'd be cheaper (and not much slower, barring traffic issues) just to hire a kid and get a van to deliver your stuff locally if that's what they want to do. And with that you don't have any of the crazy problems you might have with a drone, like the package being exposed to open air the entire time or, you know, possibly being dropped in the middle of nowhere if something goes wrong :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    The point is:

A drone will deliver videogames to me in 30 minutes

;P

• businessgypsybusinessgypsy Registered User new member
    Stereotyping regions and races is fun! Can we look forward to watermelon eating, low alcohol tolerance, laziness and bad driving in future comics?

what kind of region or race is this stereotyping, exactly?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

oversensitive white people, apparently

Pony wrote: »

oversensitive white people, apparently

hooooooooooooooooooo

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Come now, you know that people just wait around for every comic to get posted and try to make make up SOMETHING to be angry about. Sometimes they have to reach a bit further than others to really get that anger rolling.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    In the annals of people unjustifiably taking offense at perceived stereotypes in PA comics, I'd say this instance is less ridiculous than the furor over John Videogames, at least.

Would anybody be interested in talking about the merits and problems of the actual Amazon drone delivery idea here?

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote: »
    In the annals of people unjustifiably taking offense at perceived stereotypes in PA comics, I'd say this instance is less ridiculous than the furor over John Videogames, at least.

Would anybody be interested in talking about the merits and problems of the actual Amazon drone delivery idea here?

Nah, I think it's too patently ridiculous to consider as a real thing. Drones are for reconnaissance and assassination, the idea of using them for retail deliveries is so laughably futuristic it sounds like jetpacks and robot maids to my brain.

I can't take the idea seriously.

• NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

People might shoot down the drones and steal the contents. Or just for the hell of it. More imaginative people might rig up their own drones and chase the Amazon ones...

My God. It would be Elite, for real.

Unlike the inherently evil and bad Obamadrones, Amazon drones are the product of the free market, and are therefore unconditionally trustworthy and benevolent.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

As someone who has lived in Alabama, Arkansas, and Texas (not the same I know but close) for the vast majority of his life...it's pretty accurate to rural and even suburban southern accents. I honestly don't know how you could live in the south without running into it.

South, heck - try upstate New York.

Yeah rural is really a more accurate name for the accent. Of course, the south is primarily rural so that's why it gets associated with the region.

edited December 2013
    Fuckin', I'm from Ontario and people talk like this in rural Canada.

It's a product of smaller, closer knit communities. To get all nerdy ass linguistics n' shit about it, when you have a close community of people of similar education levels, words merge, lose letters, and blend together because communication becomes increasingly colloquial and commonly understood. You need less words, enunciation, and clarity in what you are saying because people get you because they're your people.

It's not restricted to rural communities either. You see it in close-knit urban communities too, or in nomadic or transient communities that keep more to themselves. My father's an Irish Traveller, and hel'fuck bey, lemme fuckin' ta'you sa'thing ba'how tey fuckin' go, bey.

So if you're from the South of America (but not, you know, South America, because that's not confusing nomenclature) and this comic is making you feel reflexively defensive, you need to relax.

Pony on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hell, you could put Bachmann in the last panel and it would fit perfectly

Don't some of you guys have better things to do than display overblown outrage over comic strips

As a hilarious side note autocorrect made that post enormously difficult.

Don't some of you guys have better things to do than display overblown outrage over comic strips

Especially since amazon baby thief drone is one of the funniest gags.

yeah there's like cops and the prison system to rage about
    i kid, i kid

Pony wrote: »
    So if you're from the South of America (but not, you know, South America, because that's not confusing nomenclature) and this comic is making you feel reflexively defensive, you need to relax.

we just call that The South

alternately, Sherman's Slip 'n' Slide

Stereotyping regions and races is fun! Can we look forward to watermelon eating, low alcohol tolerance, laziness and bad driving in future comics?

Holy shit...

You should look into becoming a professional boxer. This is the longest reach I've ever seen!

• TubeTube Registered User admin

Sit down and have a serious think about whether this is the stupidest fucking comparison you could possibly make.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Wait, is low alcohol tolerance a stereotype now? Who's it supposed to be for?

Zyrxil wrote: »
    Wait, is low alcohol tolerance a stereotype now? Who's it supposed to be for?

maybe it's the Irish equivalent of taking back the n-word