As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA "Big Year"] PATV and PAR are sacrificed to summon Lookouts and Automata

DedwrekkaDedwrekka MetalHell adjacentRegistered User regular
edited December 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
A wild apocalypse appears!

http://penny-arcade.com/2013/12/06/changes

The 18th of last month was Penny Arcade’s 15th Anniversary.

There was never a lot of time to think about what we wanted Penny Arcade to be like. It’s like us, I guess, by default; sort of a mess. We just tried to make the best decisions we could, any time a decision was called for. It doesn’t always work out. And sometimes, you do things because “that’s what you do.” You “grow your business,” for example. You “extend verticals.” I honestly don’t know about the second one. I’ll ask Robert. But at 15 years, we’re taking a minute to figure out what we want to be when we grow up.

Child’s Play and PAX have lives of their own, now. They’re vital, and they need an obsessive level of care. We will do everything in our power to ensure that these things outlast us by a wide margin.

But I don’t think I want to “grow my business” anymore; I sort of want to do the opposite. And I’m tired, sick to death, of saying “Maybe Someday” when it comes to the things we really want to make. So, we’re not going to do that anymore. The next year is going to be a pretty big one, one of the biggest yet; it’s the year the previous fifteen have been leading up to in the literal sense but also in other ways. I think they’re going to be “big years” from now on, frankly. And it hurts pretty bad, but I don’t know where PATV as a “channel” for third party shows and The Penny Arcade Report fit into that. We’ll be shutting those things down at the end of this year.

I think they’re beautiful and useful and important; I use them every day. It’s possible that you do, too. I hired people to run them, or paid them, and I am making their lives worse by doing this. Losing Ben is especially painful - he did everything we asked of him, and more. The only comfort is knowing that everyone affected by this is excellent, as is attested continually by their excellent work, and will certainly land on their feet. We’ve tried to connect the dots for them where we can. Still hurts. But, starting January 1st,

You can find “Shut Up & Sit Down” at:
shutupandsitdown.com.

Loading Ready Run can be easily found at:
http://loadingreadyrun.com/.

You’ll be able to find Extra Credits at:
https://www.youtube.com/extracreditz. Yes, with a Z. Talk to them about it.

And for now, but not for long I would imagine, you can keep an eye on Ben Kuchera at:
https://twitter.com/benkuchera.

But it’s time to start making good on some of the promises we’ve made in our work. Recognizing that things like the Pins or The New Kid or Daughters of the Eyrewood or Thornwatch or The Lookouts or Automata deserve every ounce of our resources. Novels and albums, too - all these things that got put off in the interests of Empire. Essentially, we’ve decided to be Penny Arcade.

And I’m looking forward to it.

(CW)TB

Edit: Ben Kuchera's Goodbye
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/it-was-a-great-two-years-but-now-its-time-to-say-goodbye

Alright, so maybe not an apocalypse level event, but definitely a big something that might merit some discussion/reaction/debate/torches.

Dedwrekka on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Huh. Wonder if the LinkedIn stuff had anything to do with this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Personally I'm looking forward to it. The stuff they expanded in to was nice and all but I'd trade it all for them to be able to focus on their various side projects.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

What LinkedIn stuff?

As for the news at hand, PATV will be missed. That was pretty unique content. I wonder if they'll at least archive the content.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

I'll admit I had to look that up. But I think the guy who currently holds that job actually answered that pretty well on his own.
    (Warning, the link leads to Social Entropy)

For the others who missed it:
    Penny Arcade Posts The Scariest Job Ad of All Time
    On Penny Arcade, Exploitation, and the Myth of the Do-Everything Rock Star

Penny Arcade's brutally honest job posting spurs Internet backlash

I think the fact that people can actually enjoy the work experience at Penny Arcade confuses the internet, who seem to think that there's three guys with guns just out of frame in PA:The Series.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I'll admit that I am really sad that they got rid of the Penny-Arcade Report, which turned into a genuinely interesting video game news site for me.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'll miss PATV but it seems like we might still get the occasional series or video.

hopefully Strip Search 2: Strip Harder is a go at least.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I'll admit I had to look that up. But I think the guy who currently holds that job actually answered that pretty well on his own.

I think the fact that people can actually enjoy the work experience at Penny Arcade confuses the internet, who seem to think that there's three guys with guns just out of frame in PA:The Series.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh shit I am not going to touch that with a 100 yard pole.

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    The only way I'd consider that linkedin ad was if they paid $200k (adjusted for cost of living wherever) with a guaranteed severance if it came to it. I was once an enterprise architect/web developer/supervisor for the desktop team/SAN engineer/WAN engineer/guy that has to go to all of the boring IT meetings and it was not fun. At all. You're on-call 24/7 365 and you can never, ever stop working - because even managing professional services (contractors, etc) consumes a lot of your time. I was young and dumb and was barely making $60k USD. Hah. Man I was taken advantage of.

But on the topic of PATV and PAR, I'm sad they're going but like Jerry mentioned those people are all talented (and connected) enough to land right on their feet.

jeffinva on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Eh it's more art and I always lag behind on news anyway so I don't have a problem with this. It's sad for those who enjoyed this aspect of PA but I can't fault PA for wanting to go in a different direction and having to make decisions. You can't do everything and at least a lot of people got their stuff out in the meantime.

• Options
    Jerry's reasoning as I understand it is "do I actually want to do this, or am I doing it for the sake of doing it?" Which, how can you argue or object to that? Makes perfect sense.

It also makes me worry about other places that try to do the same. I know Idle Thumbs has been slowly expanding what they do, for example, but I hope they don't over exert themselves.

• Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    Wow. I feel surprisingly sad that there won't be another Strip Search.

PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I guess this explains why the pa report has been pretty dead for the last week and a half. I will miss it, but I am excited to see them doubling down on things like the Lookouts and Daughters. I will also miss being able to watch extra credits and checkpoint here on the site, but I am glad that it appears that they will be continuing on their own. I wonder what will happen to strip search now that they are canceling PATV, didn't they already start accepting applications for a second season? Anyway, I choose to see this as more of a positive than a negative as I am a huge fan of all things Eyrewood, and hope that everyone negatively affected lands on their feet.

Edit: I just saw Khoo's post in the comic thread about the PATV closing only affects third party programs and that PA:TS will continue, I hope this means strip search will as well as it is also a first party program (despite being produces by LRR).

LostNinja on
  • Options

No, it's that the internet considers a job that requires you to be on call 24/7, to play four different jobs with their own unique skillsets, and where the compensation is expressed as low to be problematic at best, for a number of reasons. If the exact same listing was put up by, say, EA, we would all be openly criticizing it.

• Options
    BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    They get rid of a useful site like PAR yet keep this?

i-BCJJ7mQ.png

Can someone explain this to me please? On second thought, please don't.

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

No, it's that the internet considers a job that requires you to be on call 24/7, to play four different jobs with their own unique skillsets, and where the compensation is expressed as low to be problematic at best, for a number of reasons. If the exact same listing was put up by, say, EA, we would all be openly criticizing it.

And rightly so. If EA put up a posting like that we would be asking why a company with thousands of employees needs one guy to do so much. But PA has only 20ish (or less). Its completely understandable for a small business to want one person to fill multiple roles. That's what small businesses do. Your employees work as a group for the company doing many things and are only exclusive to a single task where it makes sense.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »

And rightly so. If EA put up a posting like that we would be asking why a company with thousands of employees needs one guy to do so much. But PA has only 20ish (or less). Its completely understandable for a small business to want one person to fill multiple roles. That's what small businesses do. Your employees work as a group for the company doing many things and are only exclusive to a single task where it makes sense.

They're not such a small business, though. By all accounts, they're pretty profitable.

I mean, are you counting the forum mods? Those guys are unpaid PA volunteers/employees. They have seasonal unpaid volunteers/employees to work the cons. They're not the smallest of small business, they just don't pay anybody but Mike, Jerry and Khoo.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

We're talking about a company that runs three massive trade shows internationally, manages a multimillion dollar charity, and has a sizable multimedia empire that has done work for household names (even if they have announced they are scaling it back to refocus.)

Your definition of "small business" probably does not match mine.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They're not such a small business, though. By all accounts, they're pretty profitable.

I mean, are you counting the forum mods? Those guys are unpaid PA volunteers/employees. They have seasonal unpaid volunteers/employees to work the cons. They're not the smallest of small business, they just don't pay anybody but Mike, Jerry and Khoo.

This is incredibly inaccurate. I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head who draw some kind of income from PA, services they pay for to maintain operations, and all the other projects they fund to try and accomplish things.

Strip Search was not made for free, and trade shows don't just magically erect from the ground without paid staff.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I think they meant "the only people they pay well are..."? Which is a claim that none of us know is true, I presume.

Or should I stop putting words in mouths? Yea I should stop.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Brinkman wrote: »
    They get rid of a useful site like PAR yet keep this?

i-BCJJ7mQ.png

Can someone explain this to me please? On second thought, please don't.

Trenches isn't done by the PA guys anymore. At this point the only thing they do is link to it and keep the site going.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, but I've worked more difficult and demanding jobs for less with people that I absolutely hated, and I don't see what's being offered there as being necessarily bad, especially backed by how the person who's actually held the job describes it (from the sounds of it at least some aspects of the job is backed by multiple people in the building). But maybe it's just that bad in terms of what someone could be getting paid somewhere else?
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

And Erica, Levin, Josh, Kiko, Jeff, Mike, David, Brian, Jeff, and previously Ben and Kenneth.
    I'd toss in Jamie and Kristen but they may have their time paid for by Child's Play.
    About 16 in total, plus their new PAX person and anyone not on their contact page yet.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options

Indeed, but the actual point is that PA should be employing more people than they do if they require this of their employees. Multiple tasks is okay, multiple actual jobs seems a bit much for what is ultimately just the pay of one job.

I mean, it's not the worst job ever and I figure you can get exploited way more somewhere else. But they ask a lot for little while making buttloads of money. This ain't no start-up, this is a company running on so one should treat is as such. "You get to hang out with us" shouldn't be a reason to not treat you fairly.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Julius wrote: »

Indeed, but the actual point is that PA should be employing more people than they do if they require this of their employees. Multiple tasks is okay, multiple actual jobs seems a bit much for what is ultimately just the pay of one job.

I mean, it's not the worst job ever and I figure you can get exploited way more somewhere else. But they ask a lot for little while making buttloads of money. This ain't no start-up, this is a company running on so one should treat is as such. "You get to hang out with us" shouldn't be a reason to not treat you fairly.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185114/about-the-penny-arcade-job-posting/p1

From the guy who has the job and actually does it, it's not the terrible all consuming job that people want it to sound like.
    I also don't think it's reasonable to think Penny Arcade is just rolling in the dough, because frankly we have no idea how much they make. We can infer from the kickstarter that they get roughly $700,000 in advertising fees from the whole site ($1mil level - Kickstarter/Amazon fees, Merch, ect), and that at least the vast majority of that goes into actually paying for the entire enterprise. And that on top of that they still have to do their "shill" work with Penny Arcade Presents and other projects.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Multiple tasks is:
    - Empty all the trash cans
    - Clean the bathroom
    - Wash the windows

You are a janitor in that case. The job posting was listing jobs / titles as tasks, which have many tasks within them and underestimated (by a long shot) what each of those roles required.

... DAMN IT I slipped into the vortex.

• Options

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185114/about-the-penny-arcade-job-posting/p1

From the guy who has the job and actually does it, it's not the terrible all consuming job that people want it to sound like.
    I also don't think it's reasonable to think Penny Arcade is just rolling in the dough, because frankly we have no idea how much they make. We can infer from the kickstarter that they get roughly $700,000 in advertising fees from the whole site ($1mil level - Kickstarter/Amazon fees, Merch, ect), and that at least the vast majority of that goes into actually paying for the entire enterprise. And that on top of that they still have to do their "shill" work with Penny Arcade Presents and other projects.

Yes it is not the terrible job that some people say it is. But it is a lot of work and not all that well paid.

And speculation about PA's money based on their kickstarter is silly. Just ask yourself this: If they can't pay the money for the job then how are they making money? A company employs you because you make money for them, they can't be seriously losing money by employing you.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Yes it is not the terrible job that some people say it is. But it is a lot of work and not all that well paid.

And speculation about PA's money based on their kickstarter is silly. Just ask yourself this: If they can't pay the money for the job then how are they making money? A company employs you because you make money for them, they can't be seriously losing money by employing you.

You...you do understand that the Kickstarter was directly related to their revenue stream and not just an excuse to bilke people out of money right? It was also one of the few times we've gotten a look behind the curtain of how much it takes to run the site since Mike and Jerry were forced to beg for money on the site.

They can pay the money for the job, no one is saying that they can't pay the person doing the job. But the assumption seems to be that Robert, Mike, and Jerry are smoking rolled up franklins while sitting on a configuration of the other 13 people in the company, based purely on...well nothing. There's no real evidence that they make a lot of money other than the fact that the company invests heavily in new projects.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    They advertised the compensation as "we're not all that money motivated", but require 24/7 on call support and specifically state that the role is expected to have a terrible work/life balance.

Not only is that unsustainable, but it's downright shameful. They wanted one guy to do at least two jobs on the cheap.

"But Deebaser", you say, "the guy who quit said that if there were two people, they'd both have a lot of down time!"

Yeah, and they'd also have some coverage so they aren't expected to drop everything for work at the drop of a hat.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    But but but but but SAND, yo. I desire western space operas so hard you have no idea.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    There's no real evidence that they make a lot of money other than the fact that the company invests heavily in new projects.

I've seen enough pics and vids to have a decent idea of Mike's house at this point. Dude's not livin' small. But that's not really the point; the point is that, even at a "competative" wage for one of those jobs, the potential hire would be making 1/4th of what they should be expending on that. There are two options here: One, they're proposing to completely underpay and overwork someone in exchange for being in their presence, or Two, they can't actually afford anything more, because despite all their enterprises they're "poor", indicating that Khoo's not the financial genius people continue to call him.

I'm not betting on the later.

Houn on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have no comment beyond fuck yes more Automata. I was so sad it appeared dead, so this is great news.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The side projects had lots of unrealised potential. If it was the general clutter holding them back from doing them properly then this seems a great move

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OhoniOhoni Registered User regular
    I don't post around here much, but I've been reading PA for the majority of its lifespan. I won't miss the loss of PATV much, the only shows I watched were the core Penny Arcade series that they haven't updated in forever, and Strip Search, which was great. I will definitely miss PAR though, that's become my favorite gaming-related site out there. You guys run kickstarters for things all the time, run a kickstarter to save Penny Arcade Report, even spun off into an independent entity!

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I like Penny Arcade but to be honest, good riddance to PA Report.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Nope

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Also this thread is so much not about that fucking job posting

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Good on 'em for going back to focusing on what they really want to do. I never, ever watched PATV or read PAR, so if those were distracting them from doing comics that they wanted to do and we wanted to read, then it's a good thing for everyone. Except Ben Kuchera I guess, but he'll get another job.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

the PATV cut-backs are only for the 3rd-party shows.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Aw man Jerry's post :(
    Guessing that means there goes a hope for more PA:TS and Strip Search S2.

If it's any consolation, the changes to PATV are for 3rd party content only. Season 4 of PA:TS will be launched in January.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

the PATV cut-backs are only for the 3rd-party shows.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Aw man Jerry's post :(
    Guessing that means there goes a hope for more PA:TS and Strip Search S2.

If it's any consolation, the changes to PATV are for 3rd party content only. Season 4 of PA:TS will be launched in January.

Wonderful. I thought as much based on how the loss of PATV as a channel was phrased.

It's their company, if the current direction wasn't what they wanted, more power to them.

In this era, I applaud a company that goes after quality production over endless growth for growth's sake.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is Checkpoint one of the PATV projects that will be canned, or was that coming from somewhere else and therefore probably still going to be somewhere else? I enjoyed it as a little news blurb thing.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Checkpoint is done by Loading Ready Run, who are pretty cool. I'm sure it'll continue on their site.

I don't really get how cutting third party shows frees up their time, but whatevs. I'll be able to get my fix of LRR and EC elsewhere, I'm sure.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i posted my thoughts about this over in the industry thread, but i guess they're better off in here.
    when talking about the end of PAR and PATV*, i think it's worth noting the things that haven't been talked about yet. after last years Kickstarter there's been no mention of how the site will be funded next year. will ads be returning to the front page or have they found another means of income? there's been no mention of the next season of PATV/Strip Search.

i get the feeling that there's more to this announcement than we've so far been told, and that we should expect to hear more about the future of PA in the coming weeks.

*though this change only seems to pertain to 3rd part content. seems PATV will still exist in some capacity.

i really think this is just the beginning of the changes we'll be seeing at PA. it seems that they want to focus their time and energy on content creation, to actually go back the roots of what PA is, a creative outlet for Mike and Gerry. hopefully it wont be too long before we start to hear more about their plans for the future.