As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Baltimore Comic-Con news

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
I don't know much news right now, so that's your job

so far all i know is
Keith wrote: »
Blankspace wrote: »
Chuck Dixon back on Robin after The Resurrection of Ra's.

holy goddamn fucking shit oh my god

edit: And Scott Kollins is DC exclusive

Garlic Bread on

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really need to pick up Beyond! but SK's art on Anihilation Prologue scared me away from the hardcover...

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A few bits from the DC Nation Panel -
    Manhunter will return when DC has enough scripts in to schedule it.

Are there plans for Jack Knight or an Absolute Starman? Wayne: “Will you see Starman available again in the future? I suspect you will, but the format isn’t set.”

DiDio: “Will you see Jack Knight again? Defintely.”

Asked if he has any more “cosmic” stories coming, DiDio said that they are talking with Jim Starlin about dong something, presumably after The Death of the New Gods, with Starlin hinting that it would be more Mystery in Space.

Grant Morrison’s storyline in All-Star Superman will run for 12 issues, and the series will then move into standalone stories with various artists after that.

Are there plans to put Nightwing with another DCU group since he’s off of the Outsiders? Wayne, “Maaaaybe.”

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah, damn. The new Ant-Man is going to be in The Intiative. I will be compelled to purchase that book when this happens.

Also, "Secret Invasion" keeps getting bandied about, which I'm guessing is Marvel's next summer event.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    From Newsarama:

DC Nation Panel
    DC started their programming portion of the Baltimore Comic-Con on Saturday with the DC Nation panel, covering, well…a little bit of everything. The room was full of fans who at many times, were more than a little contentious with the panelists and DC Sr. VP and DCU Executive Editor Dan DiDio.

DiDio opened the panel by thanking the crowd for coming to the panel, and expressing his hopes that everyone had enough water, as the panel was slated to run one hour and 45 minutes (which it ultimately did). He then introduced the panelists: Ran Marz, Jann Jones (newly promoted Sr. Coordinating Editor), Sean McKeever, Jimmy Palmiotti, VP of Sales Bob Wayne, Kurt Busiek, and Jim Starlin whom DiDio described as “a man who likes to kill characters almost as much as I do.”

DiDio also introduced assistant editor Adam Schlagman and DC’s newest staff member – Sr. Story editor Ian Sattler, both of whom were seated in the audience.

DiDio gave the standard disclaimer and instructions for a DC Nation panel – saying that he wanted to keep it as interactive and as freewheeling as possible. Asking at the start who is reading Countdown, the room responded with lukeward applause. Breaking things down and asking by storyline, all of the storylines received middling applause and a handful of raised hands from the audience, and some fans expressing their likes among the stories.

The panel moved into a free-flowing question and answer session.

Asked if the Palmerverse was part of New Earth or some separate place outside of the “52 Earth” multiverse. DiDio explained that there are 52 earths, and then alternate dimensions within each universe, as well as alternate timelines and microverses within each.

“Why put a number on the earths in the first place?” a fan asked.

DiDio pointed out that the number of earths goes back to the final battle of 52 where Mr. Mind’s actions caused the 52 identical earths to change from one another.

IN that vein, a fan then pointed out that the original Crisis seemingly simplified the DC Universe, and that 52 needlessly complicated things in their eyes. DiDio asked the crowd if they felt that the developments and 52 earths complicated tings, or allowed for more story potential. “More story potential” was heard over the din.

Asked about the Challengers Beyond the Unknown one-shots that explore some of the various earths, Marz said that the purpose of the series of one-shots is that the characters serve as proxies for the readers – through the story, they investigate the world to see where they are, and how it’s different from the earth they know.

Are there any series currently running that are set on another earth, unbeknownst to readers? DiDio: “No.”

A fan said that they felt that smaller characters are being lost in the shuffle, and asked what’s going on with Cassandra Cain. DiDio joked that he couldn’t hear the question, and asked the person next to him to ask their question. The second fan said that they had the same question. “We’ve got a story coming up in Gotham Underground where she’ll be seen,” DiDio said. “Along with the Bat Family.”

The “Titans Tomorrow” storyline, McKeever explained when asked, shows the Titans of the future of New Earth, not one of the 52 other earths.

Asked to talk about the thought process that led to Bart Allen’s death, DiDio said that they always had the plan to bring Wally West back as the Flash, and that one of the thoughts was to drop the “multiple Flashes” in the DCU that had been running for a while, hence the collapsing of the Speed Force and one true Flash. The storylines in Flash and the JLA/JSA crossover began to converge, and “It’s one of those things that just happened,” DiDio said, saying that, to be true to the story that was being told, Bart had to die.

“Then why does that seem to be where all your stories seem to go?” a fan asked.

“Because herpes doesn’t sell comics like death does,” Palmiotti answered back.

The fan then pointed out The Death of the New Gods slide that was up – “Death was already in the title, so I felt obliged,” Starlin joked.

“It seems like there are other dramatic tools that you can use,” the fan responded.

Didio asked if the fan felt this was a particular concern about a particular character, and the fan said that at this point, the deaths are “soap opera” deaths – that she doesn’t expect them to stay dead, “Thank you Jason Todd.”

Vamping, Palmiotti pointed out, “But we have a fabulous wedding coming up,” noting the Green Arrow/Black Canary slide that was up.

DiDio said that the fan does have a real concern, but it’s not being done randomly, saying that there were going to be four deaths and a wedding in 2007.

Another fan pointed out that the fear that many fans had was the “Dallas fear” that characters would wake up and the “dead” characters would be back.

DiDio thanks a fan who pointed out that death is an inherent risk of what the heroes do, and that, realistically more should be dead.

Asked if fans will see the Earth-2 JSA DiDio’s answer was a clear “Yes.”

When will we see the end of the Kryptonite story in Superman Confidential? Jones: The creators are working on it, and it will be out and put back into the series when it’s done.

A new artist will be coming on board Flash very soon, replacing Daniel Acuna, DiDio and Jones confirmed.

Asked if there was a chance to see the post Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes, DiDio reiterated that Jim Shooter would be joining the series with issue #37, and that there are many plans coming for the Legion’s anniversary next year.

A fan asked DiDio to promise him that DC would not cancel Checkmate or Shadowpact, DiDio said that both series have a lot of fans in the offices, and have big things coming up; but then added that DC has a lot of books coming up next year, so it’s hard for him to say what will make it.

Does DC have any plans to do DVD rom collections a la the Marvel collections? DiDio said that they don’t have any plans due to the fact that when DC has tried it, they have not sold very well.

Manhunter will return when DC has enough scripts in to schedule it.

Will Ollie survive his wedding, given that there are plenty of replacement “Green Arrows” running around the DC Universe a fan asked. DiDio asked Jones if Ollie was in the Wedding Planner, to which Jones replied with a yes. DiDio’s non-answer answer caused some murmurs among the crowd.

There are no plans for Barry Allen coming up, DiDio said, noting that was the first time he answered the question about Barry correctly.

When asked about Parallax and DC’s plans for him in the future, Busiek replied with a “Wait until you meet Perpendiculax.”

“You’ve been just holding back, waiting to use that joke for a long time now, haven’t you?” Marz asked.

DiDio added that the Parallax story is about Kyle, and that he’s a favorite character at DC, and they enjoy using him and plan to continue. Marz pointed out that he loved the fact that people refer to Kyle as “Kyle” rather than “the new Green Lantern” or by a hero’s name, showing that they really identify with the character.

Palmiotti said that he has no plans whatsoever to put Jonah Hex into the Hex continuity, but maybe a one-shot might be cool, someday, but it would be completely unconnected to the regular series.

Is there any chance for a Kurt Busiek team book? DiDio and Busiek made plans to talk about it on Monday. “We’ll get back to you,” DiDio said.

How many characters realize that there are multiple earths? DiDio said that he’d like to think that it’s limited to the characters who were exposed to the idea of 52 earths at the end of 52, and those who have learned about it in Countdown. As a concept, the multiverse is being contained as best as possible to keep things accessible.

Asked when Brad Meltzer would be coming back to DC, DiDio pointed out that Meltzer is busy with his next novel, and is working on Buffy for Dark Horse, but will be welcome back as soon as his schedule allows.

Will we be seeing Earth-1 or any of its heroes in the next year? DiDio: “In the next year? No.”

Are there plans for Jack Knight or an Absolute Starman? Wayne: “Will you see Starman available again in the future? I suspect you will, but the format isn’t set.”

DiDio: “Will you see Jack Knight again? Defintely.”

Asked about Jonah Hex’s upcoming artists, Palmiotti said that Russ Heath will draw #25, and for the foreseeable future, the series will stick with its “done in one” approach, which allows artists to jump on the series for an issue to try it out.

Asked if he’ll bring elements similar to Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane into his work on Teen Titans, McKeever said that he won’t be going the full romance route at all, but he will be focusing on the characters, and focusing on the interactions between the characters. McKeever pointed out that DiDio is the oncoming editor for Teen Titans. “Basically he’s babysitting me,” McKeever joked.

Busiek confirmed that Carlos Pacheco will be leaving Superman with issue #668, the finale of the “Camelot Falls” storyline. The writer added that the writers are currently framing plans for 2008, the 70th anniversary of the character. Coming up is “The Third Kryptonian,” followed by the debut of the new Insect Queen, and a major “earth(s) shaking” crossover between Superman and Action Comics.

Asked if he has any more “cosmic” stories coming, DiDio said that they are talking with Jim Starlin about dong something, presumably after The Death of the New Gods, with Starlin hinting that it would be more Mystery in Space.

Asked if DC would ever consider publishing extra-sized hardcovers a la Marvel HCs, Wayne said that readers will soon see announcements about more collections coming up in 2008.

When asked about the possibility of an Infinity Inc. collected edition, Wayne asked the fans who would buy it to raise their hands – and not many hands went up. That’s the problem, Wayne said, there’s not that much demand.

Will there be a new release date for the Captain Carrot Showcase edition? Wayne said that hopefully all will get new release dates, given that “we screwed up some stuff” and shouldn’t have announced them until we were sure everything was ready to go. Wayne said that it would be the second half of 2008 before the previously announced books would show up.

Grant Morrison’s storyline in All-Star Superman will run for 12 issues, and the series will then move into standalone stories with various artists after that.

Asked about the new writer for Robin – DiDio announced that, following the Ra’s Al Ghul storyline, Chuck Dixon would be returning to write the series. Look for a conversation with Dixon about his return coming later this afternoon.

The prose story that Grant Morrison wrote in Batman starring the Joker was an aspect of the Joker, and a story and presentation that Morrison wanted to show, DiDio said, and it’s not related to the coming Dark Knight movie, or will necessarily be seen in frequent use in the DCU.

Asked about other Warner Bro. properties, DiDio said that DC is working on another Space Ghost miniseries, as well as a Jonny Quest series.

While published by DC, Static and Milestone are owned by Milestone, DiDio said, when asked about the characters showing up in the DCU, and while DC would like to use the characters, negotiations haven’t worked out to allow for the characters’ return. Although, Didio added that, in working with Dwayne McDuffie, he’s hopeful that there will be opportunities to work though the negotiations and bring the characters back into print.

DiDio confirmed that Dwayne McDuffie will be bringing Firestorm to Justice League of America.

Asked what the “big project” he was leaving Aquaman to tackle, Busiek said that the project has been delayed for a year, but is still in the works, still coming, and has, in fact, gotten bigger.

The story elements from “The Lightning Saga” which seem to have been left hanging will be touched upon as part of the Legion’s anniversary next year.

Peter Tomasi will write Nightwing after Marv Wolfman, and Scott McDaneil will not be teaming with Dixon on Robin.

Are The Death of the New Gods or Final Crisis related to the ending of Seven Soldiers? According to DiDio, yes. Some elements from the ending of Seven Soldiers will play into the start of Final Crisis.

Are there plans to put Nightwing with another DCU group since he’s off of the Outsiders? Wayne, “Maaaaybe.”

The full Absolute Sandman collection will run four volumes, Wayne said. Volume 2 has been printed and is in transit now.

For the final ten minutes of the panel, DiDio moved into the lightning round:

Any Earth 26 (Captain Carrot’s earth) characters in Countdown: Arena? DiDio: Yes – Blue Beetle from Earth-26.

Any progress on the Superboy lawsuit that can be discussed? Wayne: “No comment.”

Any word on the Marv Wolfman/Gerorge Perez Teen Titans graphic novel? DiDio: It’s up to to when their schedule allows, but Perez is busy on Brave & Bold and has a big project coming up in 2008.

Will the Watchmen movie allow for Watchmen merchandise? Wayne: Nothing ready to roll out now, but there will be something coming in 2009.

Are the Amazons coming back? DiDio: The New Amazons are.

Are there any future plans for the Wonder Twins? DiDio: None.

Is Watchmen one of the 52 earths? DiDio: No.

Are there more Legion, Flash or Justice League Archives coming? Wayne said that when you get up to the issues that can be affordably bought by collectors the demand for the Archive Editions goes down. It’s something that they’re working on.

Did DiDio know that Bart Allen would die when Flash #1 came out last year? DiDio: I knew that he would be replaced.

Where will Despero be seen again? DiDio: The Green Arrow/Black Canary Wedding Special.

Marvel Mondo Panel
    The Mondo Marvel panel at Baltimore Comic Con was conducted by Marvel editors Tom Brevoort and C.B. Cebulski, as well as Marvel exclusive artist Barry Kitson. The panel started the panel by taking questions from the audience.

The first question was, will there be more female heroines in lead roles in comics, and will there be more White tiger?

Brevoort: Yes, there will be more books with female leads. With White Tiger, he said Marvel's not sure what they're doing. "We're definitely going to pick her up again," he said. "We have to figure out where."

Will there be more Fairy Tales stories by Cebulski? Cebulski: Spider-Man Fairy Tales finishes up this week. Next is Avengers Fairy Tales. Brevoort joked that there are plans to do Punisher Fairy Tales.

Another fan asked if Loners will become an ongoing? Cebulski: It's still a mini, although the team will appear in a 10-page story in the Marvel Holiday Special. "Hopefully there will be some news on Loners soon," he said.

Will we see the real Elektra anywhere? Brevoort: "That's a good question. You'll have to wait awhile until Secret Invasion." He added that fans will see the Skrull Elektra body in Illuminati #5. "It's all coming, but not for a little while yet."

Asked about whether Secret Invasion will be able to redeem Tony Stark? Brevoort:
    Iron Man's a more interesting character right now. "I think what has always made Iron Man a unique character is that he'll do whatever it takes to get that job done and make that stuff happen," he said, adding a promise that fans will not find out in Secret Invasion that Stark was a Skrull. "That would be an enormous cheat," he said. "So I'll tell you right up front now, he's not a Skrull."

A fan asked about Young Avengers. Brevoort said that fans who want an ongoing series that picks up where the first volume left off are "going to have to continue to wait I'm afraid."

But he and Cebulski announced that there will be a five issue mini-series in January that will focus on the Young Avengers, with each issue done by a different writer and ocusing on a different one or two characters. The writers will be:

Ed Brubaker - Patriot in #1.
    Brian Reed - Hulkling meeting Captain Mar-vell in #2.
    Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa - Wiccan and Speed in #3.
    Paul Cornell - The Vision in issue #4.
    "We haven't said who's doing the fifth issue. So there will be more Young Avengers stuff on the way."

Will She-Hulk continue pursuing legal avenues against Tony Stark, or has that now been dropped as a storyline? Brevoort: "It's rendered moot when it comes to her," he said, explaining that it doesn't mean the idea of Tony Stark being sued has been dropped. "I have a feeling that if it will be followed up anywhere it would be Avengers: The Initiative, because that's a title Dan [Slott] also writes."

A fan asked if Wolverine is indestructible. Cebulski: Marc Guggenheim will be addressing the healing factor in his upcoming issues of Wolverine.

Brevoort asked Barry Kitson how he likes working with Matt Fraction on The Order and what he thinks of the scripts he gets from the writer. "The fun thing about Matt is he rewrites his scripts even after I draw them," he laughed, adding that he tries to guess which pages Fraction might change so he won't have to draw them. He said the scripts are "pretty detailed, but he's been incredibly good to work with. He's very open to anything I want to throw in."

Kitson laughed, "My claim to fame is that it was my idea to put the jetpack on the bear in issue #1."

A fan asked if he knew the team in the first issue would be fired and there would be a whole new team introduced in the second issue. Kitson said it wasn't really a surprise to him because they said, "we need you to design six new characters," so he knew they would end up being the team. But he said the team that was in the first issue wasn't going away. "Although they get sacked, they don't just disappear," he said. He also said this was the "first entirely new team with no back-connection to Marvel characters that Marvel has done for a long time, so that was part of the fun of doing it."

A fan asked about The Falcon and whether there would be anything special about him for his 40th anniversary in 2009. Brevoort: It's still a little early for to think about 2009 - "We're still thinking about 2008. Now that you've just reminded me that the Falcon will have an anniversary, yeah there probably will be plans."

Will there be more Spider-Ham? Brevoort: Not any plans now.

What will happen to the Annihilation characters once Conquest is done? Will there be more of them? Brevoort: Nova has four issues that tie into Conquest, but after that, he's "getting propelled to a whole new area of space that nobody else in the Marvel Universe has been to yet." Brevoort said the character would find a Russian cosmonaut dog that was launched into space years ago with a "celestial head that has been turned into a city."

He added that Starlord, Quasar and "all those guys" will be tying into Conquest for now, obviously, but after that -- "there's plans for stuff," if sales are good and "all goes well."

Will there be plans for The Hulk around movie time? Cebulski: There will be some plans announced soon.

Will there be more Ultimate Misty Knight? Cebulski: The best bet would be the Warren Ellis Ultimate Iron Man/Ultimate Hulk crossover story because he created Misty Knight, "so she may show up in there." Brevoort: She's available, so while there are no specific plans that he knows of, Brian Michael Bendis may have plans.

At this point, Brevoort suggested to Cebulski that he call Bendis to find out for sure if he had any plans for Ultimate Misty Knight. Cebulski called and left a message, apologizing for calling so early on a Saturday morning.

Will the X-Men: Messiah Complex story make the X-Men titles more cohesive? Brevoort: Yes. It will definitely make the titles more cohesive and will set them up for what comes after that. "It's the first time we've done a crossover in a long time so it feels like a novelty," he said, adding that Marvel "used to do them all the time" in the X-Men universe.

A fan asked about Chesterquest. Cebulski recapped what he has been reporting on Newsarama about how he's traveling, looking for new pencilers for interiors and covers, with guaranteed work for 12 pencilers with Marvel. He said the winners will be announced at New York Comic Con, with a gallery of their work and a party for all the winners. He suggested that those interested go to http://www.chesterquest.blogspot.com and look for updates on Newsarama.com.

Will there be another Baron Zemo mini-series? Brevoort: No plans. When he next appears, "we'll pick him up in the place where he was" when the last story ended.

Will there ever be more Ultimate Hulk/Ultimate Wolverine? Brevoort: The scripts are in for Issue #3 and Issue #4, "but we won't be publishing it until all the scripts are in. "

Will the current Ant-Man, Eric O'Grady, be seen elsewhere in the Marvel Universe now that his series is ending? Brevoort: He's moving into Avengers: The Initiative.

A fan asked the panel to settle a debate: "Jessica Jones' baby is a Skrull, right?" Brevoort: "We never said that... Wait and see."

Will there be more New Universal? Brevoort: It's not canceled, but just on hiatus.
    "Warren's gotten behind on some stuff." What's the timeframe on the return? Cebulski: Next year.

Will there be work from Michael Turner? How is his health? Brevoort: "Mike's back." His health is getting better. He'll be doing the next three issues of Soulfire, then after that will begin work on a Marvel project. Cebulski: "Given some changes in the Ultimate Universe, the Ultimate Wolverine project may not be happening, but we do have another Michael Turner project. Look for an announcement soon."

Will there be more work from Clayton Crain soon? Brevoort (to Cebulski): "Can we say?" Cebulski: "I don't think so." Brevoort: After February, there will be a project from Clayton Crain, but it can't be announced yet. "He's hard at work on it already."

Why was there no Dr. Strange in the Mystic Arcana story? Cebulski: Obviously, he was in use in places like World War Hulk and New Avengers. Marvel wanted to focus on lesser known magical characters. "There is a larger story," Cebulski added. "There will be a new announcement soon about more in the Marvel magic universe."

How can you have Captain America ongoing with no Captain America? Brevoort: "So far so good." Will we see him again? Brevoort: Yes. "On a lot of tombstones. "He's dead. Steve Rogers is dead. As for what that means for the Cap book, yeah, we're going to continue publishing it."

The next fan asked, to the laugh of the audience, so when is Steve Rogers coming back? Brevoort: "Dead. Steve Rogers is dead. Dead."

Will there be ongoings anytime soon from Jeff Parker and Christos Gage? Brevoort: X-Men First Class an ongoing now from Jeff Parker, and with Gage, "t's just that the opportunity hasn't come."

Will there be a Dr. Strange ongoing? Brevoort: No plans. "He'll be seen elsewhere," including the New Avengers Annual in January. Sales of the Brian K. Vaughan mini-series "were only so-so," so they're not sure Dr. Strange could support an ongoing right now, but will be using him a lot.

When does the Breakworld story in Astonishing take place? Brevoort: There's going to be an Issue #23 and #24, and once it's all finished up, it will be easier to tell when it fits.

Will there be more of Magik from New X-Men? Cebulski: There's a one-shot coming out next summer addressing Magik, Ilyanna, Colossus and Wolverine.

Is Marvel doing a weekly series? Is Amazing going weekly? Brevoort: Not weekly, but will it will come out (after One More Day) three times a month. He explained that Marvel is calling the writers on Amazing Spider-Man "The Spidey Braintrust" and named a few writers, including Dan Slott, Marc Guggenheim, Bob Gale and Zeb Wells. He also said there will be a variety of artists working on the book, but each on a story at a time with just one artist, naming Chris Bachalo, Phil Jimenez, Salvador Larroca, Steve McNiven and John Romita Jr. He said the issues were starting in December.

Cebulski joked: "As Tom likes to say, we don't do our books weekly, we do them strongly."

Brevoort added: "We don't count down, we count up."

Brevoort further explained that the new writers for Amazing "all got together in December last year to block out a year of Spider-Man stories." He said there will be a larger story, but that there will also be smaller stories within that larger story that different writers will be telling. He said that at first, one artist will work with one writer, but after that, the artist may work with a different writer -- they will not always be the exact same combination of creative teams.

What is the future of the Avengers after World War Hulk? Brevoort: "It's very much like where it is now. It's going to be building up the paranoia and stress of the Skrull invasion. He mentioned the Hood's going to be putting together his power base and fighting, and of course the Avengers title will be affected by Secret Invasion.

Another fan asked about whether Steve Rogers is really dead. Brevoort: "They threw his body in the ocean ... Namor's watching it right now ... Every six months they poke it with a stick ... He's dead!"

Will Thor be joining the Avengers? Brevoort: In Issue #3 of Thor, "that will give you the first inkling of where Thor will sit in the Marvel Universe. I can tell you for sure he'll be part of Secret Invasion."

Will things get better for Spider-Man? Brevoort: The title "Brand New Day" (the title of the storyline following One More Day) will speak to the character as well as the storyline. Things will still be chaotic but it won't be quite as bleak as it has been for the last year.

Why did Cap have to die? Brevoort: It was an opportunity to tell new stories about Cap. "In some ways, he's more beloved now than when he was alive," he said. Now Marvel can tell stories about what role he played in the Marvel Universe.

Will there be more Icon series and more Book of Lost Souls? Cebulski: "JMS has plans for more Book of Lost Souls, but his plate's full right now." He mentioned that he has several comics he's writing plus movie work.

Brevoort: "Icon books are the easiest for people to put aside." Cebulski: There is supposed to be a Kick-Ass project from Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. from Icon as well as more project coming from other creators that will be "announced soon."

Are there more plans for the 2099 universe? Brevoort: Spider-Man 2099 has been appearing in Exiles. As for other characters, "it's possible. At the moment there's not a plan, but it's a place that could be revisited."

Will Shang-Chi get a mini-series? And can Adam Warren do it? Cebulski: Adam Warren has an open door to work at Marvel. There are currently no plans for a Shang-Chi mini-series.

Is the Marvel What-If? series still continuing? Brevoort: There are five or six What If? stories coming at the end of this year and that will likely continue in November and December in every year.

More Marvel Zombies? Brevoort: Marvel Zombies 2 is coming out very soon.

At this point, Brian Michael Bendis called back. Cebulski held the phone up to the microphone so fans could hear Bendis' voice saying: "No!"

Cebulski said, "so no plans for Misty Knight at this time, I guess." Then after holding it up to his ear and thanking Bendis, Cebulski added, "He says "Jessica Jones is better."

Cebulski then announced that Runaways will be available as an audio book that will compile the first season of the series that was done by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphonso. "I believe it will be available as an mp3 on Marvel.com."

As a final question, a fan asked if Hulk will ever get to kill Iron Man and just "rip his head off." Cebulski suggested that the fan read Warren Ellis' Ultimate Hulk/Ultimate Iron Man story. "Maybe."

Brevoort then announced that the Iron Man movie footage that was seen at San Diego Comic-Con will be aired on television this week as part of a teaser trailer. "It looks phenomenal. I think it will be debuting during 'The Hills' on MTV," he said. The crowd groaned and laughed. "But it will be eventually shown on good shows too," he laughed.

KVW on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    heh heh herpes
    Are The Death of the New Gods or Final Crisis related to the ending of Seven Soldiers? According to DiDio, yes. Some elements from the ending of Seven Soldiers will play into the start of Final Crisis.

Oh snap.

august on
    edited September 2007
    I'd expect nothing less from Morrison.

Bad Karma on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hopefully Dixon can channel some of his old magic and make Robin kick ass. Pretty cool that Tomasi's getting an ongoing too. I haven't read a lot of stuff he's written, but The Light Brigade was pretty bitchin'. Also psyched for more Loners and Ant-Man.

Munch on
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    I'd expect nothing less from Morrison.

I forgot Morrison is writing Final Crisis. Doh.

Still: it'll be nice to see some continuity there.
    More Marvel Zombies? Brevoort: Marvel Zombies 2 is coming out very soon.

Jesus H. Christ.

august on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    From Newsarama:

Please either just link to the articles, or post highlights. Don't post the whole thing (or most of it).

DJ Eebs on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Ah, damn. The new Ant-Man is going to be in The Intiative. I will be compelled to purchase that book when this happens.

Also, "Secret Invasion" keeps getting bandied about, which I'm guessing is Marvel's next summer event.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with The Initiative - Slott packs that book with a lot of great comic stuff in every issue. I'd say it's one of the best books Marvel is putting out these days.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited September 2007
    I don't doubt it. I enjoyed the WWH tie in issues quite a bit. The problem is that I can't afford to expand my pull list right now.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I don't doubt it. I enjoyed the WWH tie in issues quite a bit. The problem is that I can't afford to expand my pull list right now.

you fucking re-add Justice society first

Bloods End on
    edited September 2007
    Give me three dollars a month and I will.

wwtMask on
    edited September 2007
    Only if you drop Black panther

Bloods End on
    edited September 2007
    Can't, I've already paid for a subscription.

wwtMask on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm just happy to get more Ant-Man. I hope he still gets to shine being part of a team, or at least in a team book.

Mr Pink on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Will the X-Men: Messiah Complex story make the X-Men titles more cohesive? Brevoort: Yes. It will definitely make the titles more cohesive and will set them up for what comes after that. "It's the first time we've done a crossover in a long time so it feels like a novelty," he said, adding that Marvel "used to do them all the time" in the X-Men universe

The only X-Book that hasn't had the Astonishing team featured in it lately is X-Factor. Every other book is back at the mansion at least once an issue and they're all tripping over each other! The reasons you used to do crossover events was because the Blue and Gold teams stayed the hell away from each other! Arghghahgagh

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

so far all i know is

Great news but man, the "Tim’s dating life is going to get a lot more interesting" part of his interview gets me a little worried. I really hope they're not going to ignore the shit that's happening in Teen Titans like Beechen did. That was just plain stupid (especially since Beechen was writing both Robin and Teen Titans at the time).

Also, :v: to the guy that didn't want DC to cancel Checkmate and Shadowpact. Sure, don't cancel Checkmate but Shadowpact? It's pretty boring. There are much higher quality comics that don't sell that well (like Blue Beetle and All New Atom).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am just glad they're keeping Kurt Busiek busy with this "big project" and possible team book.

Lux on
    edited September 2007

so far all i know is

Great news but man, the "Tim’s dating life is going to get a lot more interesting" part of his interview gets me a little worried. I really hope they're not going to ignore the shit that's happening in Teen Titans like Beechen did. That was just plain stupid (especially since Beechen was writing both Robin and Teen Titans at the time).

Also, :v: to the guy that didn't want DC to cancel Checkmate and Shadowpact. Sure, don't cancel Checkmate but Shadowpact? It's pretty boring. There are much higher quality comics that don't sell that well (like Blue Beetle and All New Atom).

Different tastes pal. I just hope none get cancelled. Though I'm definately interested in what these "big things" coming up are.

In other news, Tomasi takes on Nightwing in 08', with Rags Morales drawing issue #140 (and hopefully beyond!)

Bad Karma on
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma on
    edited September 2007
    I'm really not sure what niche a new Vigilante title will be filling in the DCU. Manhunter already has the whole "violent legacy superhero with connections to a lot of the DCU" thing covered, and the last Vigilante mini they tried out tanked. Though that could have just been because Bruce Jones is so godawful. Still, it seems odd to launch a spinoff title from a book that isn't selling all that well itself, with a legacy character (which have been failing left and right lately) taking on the mantle of a hero that's never really been all that popular. But who knows, maybe it'll be awesome.

Tomasi on GLC should be pretty cool though.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I assume this came out of Baltimore too, but it's just a Bad Signal post I thought was funny enough to share. Warren Ellis on Desolation Jones & Dan DiDio:
    Apparently, it's been reported on Newsarama that Dan Didio, when asked
    a question about DESOLATION JONES -- which I've previously said is on
    a hiatus -- said that he believed the series wouldn't continue due to my
    being exclusive to Marvel. This is, of course, what happens when you put
    on the spot a guy who doesn't run the Wildstorm operation day-to-day or
    have any reason to know anything about my Marvel deal. Dan Didio has
    many powers, several of which are far too disgusting to mention in public,
    but telepathy is not yet one of them.

DESOLATION JONES has been put on pause for several reasons, including
    my wish to get enough pages in the bank to take the series monthly from
    the forthcoming #9. My Marvel deal does not preclude me from continuing
    JONES.

The other reason I know JONES is being continued, is that DC themselves
    are currently involved in the brokerage of a very interesting media deal that
    I cannot yet discuss. Which is something else that poor old Dan would
    have no reason to know.

So when you next see Dan Didio, sitting sadly in the lobby of a convention
    hotel ruminating on why no-one loves him and how no-one understands
    that all the pretty girls have to die... give him a hug. Tell him it's
    going to be all right. Do it for me.

-- Warren Ellis

Lux on
    edited September 2007
    Even more DC news spinning out of the events at Baltimore!
    As Didio introduced the panel members, he announced that Aragones would be the new writer on The Spirit, (as well as the Bat Lash mini)and that Tucci would be co-writing and drawing a Sgt. Rock and the Lost Battalion mini-series.

Didio asked Calafiore to talk a little about Gotham Underground. "There's a power vacuum in Gotham City. The larger villains -- Joker etc. -- have been sort of sucked down into Salvation Run. So we're dealing with different factions trying to take over the Gotham underworld

Jones said there are also plans for a 10-issue Great Ten mini-series in 2008

"We're doing a piece on Mike Wieringo in the Flash next month," Waid said.

Didio: A new Vigilante series that's coming up soon. "There's a traitor among the heroes," Didio said.
    A fan yelled out, "Is it Iron Man?" to laughter from the whole panel and crowd.

Sales-wise, how safe is the Blue Beetle title? Is there enough support in editorial to save it? Wayne: Yes, there is enough support.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Baltimore_07/DCU_panel.html

Bad Karma on
    edited September 2007
    I thought Jeff Smith was going to do The Spirit.

Bloods End on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    From the CBR summary:
    A fan continued questions on "Secret Invasion," a new mini-series to come in 2008, and asked if Tony Stark was still a redeemable character. Brevoort says it's ultimately a personal decision. "I think Iron Man's a more fascinating character. The thing that's always made Tony Stark special is that he's a guy who, when he believes in what he's doing, will go against everyone else. What makes him heroic is that he does it, he carry that weight for the greater good." Brevoort says Tony Stark is the only character in the Marvel Universe who is definitely not a Skrull. Look for much more on "Secret Invasion" Monday here on CBR.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2007
    Are the audio of these up/going up anytime soon?

august on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    what the fuck is Bat Lash

edit: oh, apparently some western character

you can't have the name "Bat" in a DC book that doesn't include batman

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2007
    I'll pick up the first few issues if only because Sergio Aragonés is a fucking badass.

august on
    edited September 2007

Did you watch JLU? I mean, c'mon. He's the dandy gunslinger!

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Atom Eve is getting her own Mini.

Could be good, I guess.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited September 2007

you can't have the name "Bat" in a DC book that doesn't include batman

Sure you can, it's called Bat Lash.

Check out Jonah Hex #3 (2006), which features his guest appearance. (and oddly enough, with the exception of last months issue, the only one sold out at mycomicshop)

Bad Karma on
    edited September 2007
    Atom Eve is getting her own Mini.

Could be good, I guess.

Benito Cereno and Nate Bellegarde are awesome Blank. Track down Tales from the Bully Pulpit and Hector Plasm: De Mortuis if you can. When I finally get around to making an indy cred thread I'll scan some stuff from them.

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait

they're the guys from Tales of the Bully Pulpit?

Holy fucking shit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Even more DC news spinning out of the events at Baltimore!
    Sales-wise, how safe is the Blue Beetle title? Is there enough support in editorial to save it? Wayne: Yes, there is enough support.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Baltimore_07/DCU_panel.html

Does that really mean it won't get cancelled? I mean, editorial could support it now but still end up cancelling it a few months down the road.

Anyway, Tomasi on Nightwing and GLC gets a thumbs up from me. As does the news that we'll get a Great Ten mini.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2007
    Wait

they're the guys from Tales of the Bully Pulpit?

Holy fucking shit.

Well Cereno is. Bellegarde is just his most frequent collaborator, having done Invincible back-ups and some upcoming shorts for the Popgun Anthology with him. Dude's got an awesome style though. Kind of Cory Walker-like.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like how enthusiastic Shooter seemed at the panel. Makes me happy he's back.

Furu on
    edited September 2007
    "First, 2008 will see Star Wars: Vector, a crossover story that will be “similar to Civil War in its scope and style,” according to Dark Horse’s Jeremy Atkins. One constant character will experience the story as it travels through all four of Dark Horse’s Star Wars titles: Knights of the Old Republic, Rebellion, Legacy and Dark Times. John Ostrander and John Jackson Miller will oversee the story direction through the titles.

When it was pointed out that the fours titles occur in time periods that are hundreds, sometimes thousands of years apart, Atkins repeated that, regardless, there will be a single point of view character moving through the stories."

What in the fuck?

Crossovers don't work unless they take place in the same time. Or at least close to the same time.

Bloods End on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Bizarre. The only way I can see it working is if they used a droid as the PoV character or possibly a very long-lived alien Jedi.

DMAC on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm thinking droid, kinda like R2-D2 was around for every movie somehow.

Mr Pink on