As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Crayon wrote: »
    Yep. There's something I've been thinking about all night, it's been plodding and sitting there-I'm pretty sure they took zero journalistic votes into account with these awards. I'm absolutely positive they just spread the shit around to appear they know what the fuck they're doing. Naughty Dog winning like I knew is my paranoid cement on that truth.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/69033335628/jeff-as-a-spike-tv-judge-do-you-have-any-input-on-the
    Anonymous asked:
    Jeff, as a Spike TV judge do you have any input on the nominees? How does that get hashed out? Nothing against Spike or the demographics they're after, but the list they put out is a haphazard mess. The Best Voice Actress category is super gross, too.

We get a blank sheet with each category listed. I fill mine up with a few games in each category, then email it in. Some time after that, the nominees get announced. Then, from that list of nominees, I vote on winners in each category and file that by email. Then, I guess, they’re announced on TV during the show.

Or, at least, that’s how it’s been in past years. I guess they’re livestreaming online this year and then airing some sort of edited down, lower-key version of the show on Spike in some kind of ungodly weeknight timeslot next week. Not having to rope in a TV audience should hopefully make the show better, since they can just focus on games and not “stars” or whatever. Still, seems weird to not have it be a big ol’ live TV broadcast, since that was sort of its main appeal.

No no. I know what THEY say, I just don't believe it. I know they VOTE, I'm saying that they don't use them.

you know it's possible that people voting like things you don't

Minus that part where they spread around every studio for every category. Yeah, that could be why I think that. I fully get "logic" and that people like different things than I like. You see, I know what you're saying and it is possible, but I also find it possible that the entire show is bullshit as evidenced by what is now happening. Yeah, I'm sticking with that. Thanks for the obvious point out though that people like different things.

Crayon on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The real tragedy here is that last year's VGAs was actually pretty good.

We got Dark Souls 2 announced from VGAs. Walking Dead got GOTY.

It's just incredible how they took such a sharp left turn that this is now even worse than the worst VGAs.

I see comments like this but I don't understand. Maybe it's because I've muted the pewdiepie and outdoor guys segments but I think last year was just as painful as this one.

This concert isn't the worst but why are they still going? Is this seriously the end?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Why is this still going???????

The "show" part is over, now it's just a concert.

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Yep. There's something I've been thinking about all night, it's been plodding and sitting there-I'm pretty sure they took zero journalistic votes into account with these awards. I'm absolutely positive they just spread the shit around to appear they know what the fuck they're doing. Naughty Dog winning like I knew is my paranoid cement on that truth.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/69033335628/jeff-as-a-spike-tv-judge-do-you-have-any-input-on-the
    Anonymous asked:
    Jeff, as a Spike TV judge do you have any input on the nominees? How does that get hashed out? Nothing against Spike or the demographics they're after, but the list they put out is a haphazard mess. The Best Voice Actress category is super gross, too.

We get a blank sheet with each category listed. I fill mine up with a few games in each category, then email it in. Some time after that, the nominees get announced. Then, from that list of nominees, I vote on winners in each category and file that by email. Then, I guess, they’re announced on TV during the show.

Or, at least, that’s how it’s been in past years. I guess they’re livestreaming online this year and then airing some sort of edited down, lower-key version of the show on Spike in some kind of ungodly weeknight timeslot next week. Not having to rope in a TV audience should hopefully make the show better, since they can just focus on games and not “stars” or whatever. Still, seems weird to not have it be a big ol’ live TV broadcast, since that was sort of its main appeal.

No no. I know what THEY say, I just don't believe it. I know they VOTE, I'm saying that they don't use them.

Minus that part where they spread around every studio for every category. Yeah, that could be why I think that. I fully get "logic" and that people like different things than I like. You see, I know what you're saying and it is possible, but I also find it possible that the entire show is bullshit as evidenced by what is now happening. Yeah, I'm sticking with that. Thanks for the obvious point out though that people like different things.

You do realize that people like Gerstmann, in fact specifically Jeff himself would have zero problem writing off participating, and would verbally blast the whole thing openly on twitter, podcast, etc if that were the case, right?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There's supposed to be Titanfall footage after it, or something.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I tried dialing that number from the end of the Titanfall video. "This number cannot be dialed from your calling area."

It's from space!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

There's still a small segment coming if I got it correctly.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    C2B wrote: »

yes - some more exclusive titanfall - hopefully not a commercial from an in-game company either.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    C2B wrote: »

Yeah, they said the concert is around 20 minutes, then there's one more segment afterward.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »

Anonymous asked:

You do realize that people like Gerstmann, in fact specifically Jeff himself would have zero problem writing off participating, and would verbally blast the whole thing openly on twitter, podcast, etc if that were the case, right?

Did you read how they do it? They aren't a panel. They are mailed it. They vote. They email it back. I don't know if there's a way to call bullshit on that from their angle.

My gods, you are all throwing out absolutely obvious things. Yes, I posited a crazy theory. That's it. Calm down folks.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »

Anonymous asked:

Did you read how they do it? They aren't a panel. They are mailed it. They vote. They email it back. I don't know if there's a way to call bullshit on that from their angle.

My gods, you are all throwing out absolutely obvious things. Yes, I posited a crazy theory. That's it. Calm down folks.

they work for Spike, you've stumbled upon the truth and they're here to silence you! quick run!!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    600+ post? I'm not reading that. All those nice reveals are already all over Youtube. Skip the VGA, see the Reveals only minutes after they happen. Save your souls.

• KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    Just another Robotics Commercial. Bah.

At least McHale gave Donkey Kong: TF another shoutout. Woo.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean it's possible that earth is controlled by lizard people but i don't think you get to get wound up when people say that's crazy

liEt3nH.png
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    The Titanfall number is just a mock call system for Hammon Robotics. "Your call is important to us, please hold....the Ogre Class is bla bla bla.... Hammond Robotics donated to something something..... call volume is currently at maximum, please try your call again later.... someone in marketing is no doubt having the amount and frequency of these calls charted into fancy graphs to track interest generated by that train wreck of an awards show".

Aaaaannd...back to the concert.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch the show. I've never watched any of the video game awards because I don't want to support it. At the risk of saying something terribly offensive myself, the VGAs (and X) sound like a video game minstrel show. Offensive and shameful. The target audience probably doesn't realize how degrading it is and anyone who does realize probably should feel bad for coming anywhere near it. That's all I have to say.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    wow that guy sings so terribly

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    The Titanfall number is just a mock call system for Hammon Robotics. "Your call is important to us, please hold....the Ogre Class is bla bla bla.... Hammond Robotics donated to something something..... call volume is currently at maximum, please try your call again later.... someone in marketing is no doubt having the amount and frequency of these calls charted into fancy graphs to track interest generated by that train wreck of an awards show".

Weird. It's the second toll-free number I've tried to call recently that would not allow me to complete the call.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    wow that guy sings so terribly
    This instrumental of this song that was in the game was soooo much better.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    600+ post? I'm not reading that. All those nice reveals are already all over Youtube. Skip the VGA, see the Reveals only minutes after they happen. Save your souls.

I've done this every other year

Now I shall return to doing so for the future

dN0T6ur.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    IT'S OVER

tears_of_joy.jpg

IT'S OVER

I MADE IT

I MADE IT

I MADE IT

LOVEYOUALL

Till next year.

I'm going to work on my denial right fucking now!!!!!!!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMJsKuR1lE2k1v-pUKm9-EMk5XAhdzscoe5kelJCnaz4O9botXcQ

I didn't watch the show. I've never watched any of the video game awards because I don't want to support it. At the risk of saying something terribly offensive myself, the VGAs (and X) sound like a video game minstrel show. Offensive and shameful. The target audience probably doesn't realize how degrading it is and anyone who does realize probably should feel bad for coming anywhere near it. That's all I have to say.

So you're criticizing something that you've never watched ever, and genuinely being as hyperbolic, and borderline offensive with your comparison as possible. Fantastic job!

I'm not even saying they're good. They're typically pretty damned bad, but inoffensively so. They're just silly backslapping, and stuff put together by clueless tv executives to try and cater a certain demographic. Seriously comparing it to something as racist and offensive as an actual minstrel show is just, well, really fucking ignorant.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    It is not over, for it eternally will remain inside your memory.

e: know what let's reminisce. Tell me your favourite joke of the VGX, please.

Dac Vin on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    We made it guys.

Which way to Grief Counseling?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    We made it guys.

Right this way...

----> ta32.jpg

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'll take the gin.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So, No Man's Sky thread?

Kroenen wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    We made it guys.

Right this way...
    ----> ta32.jpg

before anyone asks, those are not miniatures and you've got to drink them all. its the only way the grieving process will work.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    With it all being over now, I'd like to ask my question again.
    How bad was it?

cB557 wrote: »
    So, No Man's Sky thread?

it was the perfect reveal, because after that i want to explore the vastness of space and find comfort and solace on desolate alien worlds.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Looking at the list of winners, I think that they got absolutely everything wrong.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    How bad was it?

its not something that can be described. the only way to truly know would be to have experienced. consider yourself luck for in this, ignorance is truly bliss.

Shadowhope wrote: »
    Looking at the list of winners, I think that they got absolutely everything wrong.

getting things wrong seemed to be the theme for the show so.....

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    What happened to my last three hours? I can remember No Man's Sky being announced but everything else is a blank.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    It is not over, for it eternally will remain inside your memory.

e: know what let's reminisce. Tell me your favourite joke of the VGX, please.
    Man I can't even choose, I mean even picking a category is tough, I've narrowed it down to "sexist" and "transphobic" but I can't imagine how I'd ever choose between those two categories, let alone eventually pick a favorite from one of the categories.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I watched the 2011 show and I felt myself die. Like I wanted to burn my PS3 and 360 and never touch games again. I believe that was the year they played Fruit Ninja in Real Life and I did throw my 360 controller at the tv. TV: 1 Controller: Busted.

Video Game Awards are good. Spike TV's Video Game Show isn't about video games, its about C-D list celebrities to show that they are hip and cool and nerdy so some poor neck beard who sees tits will watch their show/movie/youtube series.

But since so many video game companies need a way to get their product out there, and places like Game Informer are seen as trashmags, this show is important but not for long. The fact that this is now being streamed instead of being on TV shows that a: gamers don't care for VGA(X) and b: the internet is better at getting that same info out.

So, see everyone next year when we all watch this trash again then bitch about how we all watched this shit again.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    How bad was it?

Completely unstructured and lacking direction of any kind, to the point where Joel McHale began openly criticizing and mocking everything - the set, the ineptitude of the cameraman, the lack of planning regarding segment dialog. He borderline harassed guests a few times, apparently out of frustration. They argued with Reggie at one point. There were a group of musicians, I guess, outside who were just saying random things to burn time - while achieving new heights of corniness.

I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing at times.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thank you all for making this wedding im at fun.

I assure you, I've been at the open bar working hard to erase all your memories.

This next one is for you, PA.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.