As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    What happened to my last three hours? I can remember No Man's Sky being announced but everything else is a blank.

consider yourself lucky and leave it that. some things are best left forgotten.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    S1h4F2M.png

I watched the 2011 show and I felt myself die. Like I wanted to burn my PS3 and 360 and never touch games again. I believe that was the year they played Fruit Ninja in Real Life and I did throw my 360 controller at the tv. TV: 1 Controller: Busted.

Video Game Awards are good. Spike TV's Video Game Show isn't about video games, its about C-D list celebrities to show that they are hip and cool and nerdy so some poor neck beard who sees tits will watch their show/movie/youtube series.

But since so many video game companies need a way to get their product out there, and places like Game Informer are seen as trashmags, this show is important but not for long. The fact that this is now being streamed instead of being on TV shows that a: gamers don't care for VGA(X) and b: the internet is better at getting that same info out.

So, see everyone next year when we all watch this trash again then bitch about how we all watched this shit again.

and that's the sad thing, this year featured no C-D list celebs or any celebs really*, and it was so much worse as a result. i don't know how they managed it, but somehow they did and it was terrible.

*unless you could McHale and the musicians

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have to work tonight, and even without watching the show I need to drink.

i suggested making a drinking game of the show, but i'm glad no one followed through* on that idea because the show was at all times sobering and any attempt to dampen the pain with alcohol would have proven fatal i'm sure.

*oh please tell me no one went through with it. or if you did that you've called for an ambulance already.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    So, No Man's Sky thread?

Done.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i suggested making a drinking game of the show, but i'm glad no one followed through* on that idea because the show was at all times sobering and any attempt to dampen the pain with alcohol would have proven fatal i'm sure.

*oh please tell me no one went through with it. or if you did that you've called for an ambulance already.

I was saved by the grace of watching it alone with no alcohol in close range.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I didn't watch it, but I'm glad to know that Cranky Kong is Scrooge McDuck now.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    We're there any new trailers for new games?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    We're there any new trailers for new games?

Three posts up is the only thing.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    @Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    @Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

Running for the hills to get away from that show, I guess.

Geoff said there'd be something from Sony there and had ruled out The Order, so Uncharted 4 was the obvious guess (especially given its history at the event). Turns out Geoff lied.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    @Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

it was rushed to a safe, undisclosed location prior to the show to ensure that it couldn't not be help to ransom by the terrorist organization Spike.

also, anyone else wondering if the footage for The Order really just wasn't done in time, or if maybe someone just knew this was going to be such a monumental disaster and didn't want the game to be linked to it?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Watching the Nintendo section again, it's just such a fabulous trainwreck.

Reggie looks annoyed that they aren't playing ball, Geoff is outright antagonistic, and Joel is just so uncomfortable. Go Seahawks.

@UnbreakableVow, are you going to spend $59.99 on a port of Tomb Raider?

Sure

Taramoor wrote: »
    Watching the Nintendo section again, it's just such a fabulous trainwreck.

Reggie looks annoyed that they aren't playing ball, Geoff is outright antagonistic, and Joel is just so uncomfortable. Go Seahawks.

honestly, i think for the most part the 'reveals' were pretty weak this year*, but even with that Nintendo dropped the ball. seriously, Donkey Kong is the best you could come up with? i'm sure its a really fun game, but is that really the biggest thing you've got to show right now? there's nothing else that you could have brought that might help you content with the onslaught from two new next-gen consoles? the WiiU is dying on its ass right now and that showing is not going to help it in any way.

*seriously, its like there's little to nothing due in the first year of the next gen. even the games we did get to see, we didn't really see anything new. TellTale, Double Fine and Hello Games being the exceptions/stand-outs.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's what console gamers did already, right? Because I guess this was built for PC + next gen?

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Nintendo could have advertised so much to all these poor souls watching the VGX. Remember, they had a bunch of games that audience would have been interested in, like Bayonetta 2, or the new Smash Bros, or even X, which at the very least has open worlds and giant robots.

Instead Nintendo went "HEY VGX, CRANKY KONG IS IN OUR NEW DONKEY KONG GAwhat do you mean Amazon leaked that reveal a week awhat do you mean you don't give a shit about cranky you're watching the VGX you should be cranky

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    My goty was BioShock Infinite. But hey, different strokes, etc.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Nintendo could have advertised so much to all these poor souls watching the VGX. Remember, they had a bunch of games that audience would have been interested in, like Bayonetta 2, or the new Smash Bros, or even X, which at the very least has open worlds and giant robots.

Instead Nintendo went "HEY VGX, CRANKY KONG IS IN OUR NEW DONKEY KONG GAwhat do you mean Amazon leaked that reveal a week awhat do you mean you don't give a shit about cranky you're watching the VGX you should be cranky

and the whole "I'm wearing a Metroid pin and I'm here with someone from Retro Studios who made the Metroid Prime games, but no, I'm not going to talk about Metroid in any fashion other than saying the word Metroid" thing.

@Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

it was rushed to a safe, undisclosed location prior to the show to ensure that it couldn't not be help to ransom by the terrorist organization Spike.

also, anyone else wondering if the footage for The Order really just wasn't done in time, or if maybe someone just knew this was going to be such a monumental disaster and didn't want the game to be linked to it?

I doubt it

The VGAs were always a disaster, and that's where The Last of Us got its reveal

It seems to have done pretty well for itself

@Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

I doubt it

again, i'm eating my earlier word here but this year was so much worse. i didn't think they could pull it off, but they really did manage to lower the quality of this years show dramatically. i'm stunned by just how badly that went.

• KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    Y'know...for some reason, I've always saw Chris Hardwick as a poor-man's Joel McHale...but I would've much preferred him hosting this.

Kroenen wrote: »
    Y'know...for some reason, I've always saw Chris Hardwick as a poor-man's Joel McHale...but I would've much preferred him hosting this.

i think McHale would have preferred that too.

That's what console gamers did already, right? Because I guess this was built for PC + next gen?

Right. It was $60 on PS3/360 and $50 on PC back when it came out in March. Prices have dropped enormously since then, with the PC version hitting $10 during the last Steam Sale (which it'll obviously hit again during the Christmas Sale) and yet the the PS4/Xbone version at $60. You'd think they could have at least lowered the price down to $40.
    Kroenen wrote: »

Hardwick actually hosted last years DICE Awards (I always forget it but it's one of the three actual reputable game awards, alongside the GDC Awards and BAFTA Game Awards). I'm not sure he'd slum it down on Spike.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I'm in the midst of a resurgence of interest in Nintendo games myself, with a new WiiU and Zelda: ALBW. But everything about that presentation highlights, to me, why Nintendo is rapidly falling behind with the general gaming audience. I just hope the console has legs enough to get me new, more traditional-controlling Zelda and Metroid games within the next 12 months.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I fell asleep as it started, woke up just now.

I think I got off pretty light.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

and the whole "I'm wearing a Metroid pin and I'm here with someone from Retro Studios who made the Metroid Prime games, but no, I'm not going to talk about Metroid in any fashion other than saying the word Metroid" thing.

At first I thought they were doing a little show and then were going to go for a "one more thing..." and then nothing.

I want to believe that they did have something else but when Geoff got super antagonistic Reggie gave a secret signal to say "Fuck you you don't get a trailer".

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to go home and watch this. From the sound of it this may rival Jamie Kennedy's New Years eve special.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to go home and watch this. From the sound of it this may rival Jamie Kennedy's New Years eve special.

Goddamn, KDOC is a local station here and what I wouldn't give to have seen that supposedly legendary trainwreck live.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular

It wasn't quite that bad.

@Unco-ordinated

So where was Uncharted 4

I doubt it

I'm not sure if you noticed but major publishers have clearly given up on the show. Two new robots in Titanfall was the biggest AAA announcement they had and it was so big they had to split it into two parts. I'm not sure whether it's because the show isn't on live TV anymore or because they've given up on it being any good but there's a clear lack of interest from all the major companies.

At this stage, it's still a great platform for Telltale and Hello Games though. The 2-3 million hardcore gamers that were streaming the show was a huge audience for them.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doing a pretty great job cultivating the perception that they have fuck all idea what they're even doing these days.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular

Sure

Same here. Lookin' forward to it, in fact.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Nintendo failed miserably there. Oh boy, Cranky Kong is playable! That's about as exciting as ... I dunno, what sucks in general? They could have officially announced a new Metroid Prime and guaranteed quite a few Wii U sales in the process, but why do that?

*sigh*

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    iHcmnGP7UT4Rc.gif

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Aoi wrote: »
    I didn't watch the show. I've never watched any of the video game awards because I don't want to support it. At the risk of saying something terribly offensive myself, the VGAs (and X) sound like a video game minstrel show. Offensive and shameful. The target audience probably doesn't realize how degrading it is and anyone who does realize probably should feel bad for coming anywhere near it. That's all I have to say.

So you're criticizing something that you've never watched ever, and genuinely being as hyperbolic, and borderline offensive with your comparison as possible. Fantastic job!

I'm not even saying they're good. They're typically pretty damned bad, but inoffensively so. They're just silly backslapping, and stuff put together by clueless tv executives to try and cater a certain demographic. Seriously comparing it to something as racist and offensive as an actual minstrel show is just, well, really fucking ignorant.

Ummmm...to be fair they're both homophobic and transphobic and used those as punchlines using a demographic that already has negative views towards women and gays. Doesn't matter if he watched it, and it wasn't hyperbole. I did watch it and that's what it was. Spare your mountaintop songs.

Crayon on
    Let's be real, the only reason there was a Banderas reference was to appease NeoGAF and prevent them from going too hard on the show.

Worst part is, it probably worked.

Let's be real, the only reason there was a Banderas reference was to appease NeoGAF and prevent them from going too hard on the show.

Worst part is, it probably worked.

That was all Naughty Dog's doing though.

This discussion has been closed.