As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider Ps4/xbone is just the pc version, right?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Tomb Raider Ps4/xbone is just the pc version, right?

It's got all the DLC, so GOTY edition

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Nintendo could have advertised so much to all these poor souls watching the VGX. Remember, they had a bunch of games that audience would have been interested in, like Bayonetta 2, or the new Smash Bros, or even X, which at the very least has open worlds and giant robots.

Instead Nintendo went "HEY VGX, CRANKY KONG IS IN OUR NEW DONKEY KONG GAwhat do you mean Amazon leaked that reveal a week awhat do you mean you don't give a shit about cranky you're watching the VGX you should be cranky

and the whole "I'm wearing a Metroid pin and I'm here with someone from Retro Studios who made the Metroid Prime games, but no, I'm not going to talk about Metroid in any fashion other than saying the word Metroid" thing.

At first I thought they were doing a little show and then were going to go for a "one more thing..." and then nothing.

I want to believe that they did have something else but when Geoff got super antagonistic Reggie gave a secret signal to say "Fuck you you don't get a trailer".

I'd laugh if they did a Direct next week with the trailers they didn't show due to that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    As soon as this went internet only it became pointless for anyone to throw anything major on it. A website countdown or a Nintendo Direct type press release will reach the same number of people and you don't have to share the spotlight. The fact that there are 3 new systems on the market and none of them bothered to give this show anything says it all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    hahaha that's pretty great.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    A shame that this Tomb Raider re-release isn't coming to the Wii U as previously rumored, I likely would have picked it up.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Lol...this entire thing was even more of a joke than I thought it would be.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Rakai wrote: »
    As soon as this went internet only it became pointless for anyone to throw anything major on it. A website countdown or a Nintendo Direct type press release will reach the same number of people and you don't have to share the spotlight. The fact that there are 3 new systems on the market and none of them bothered to give this show anything says it all.

The show sucked and publishers clearly didn't think it was a big show anymore but no, not even close. The one time I bothered to look, there were well over a million people watching the show on Twitch alone. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo's only done that once, with their E3 Direct this year.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    The Twitch chat rooms must have resembled a /b/ raid. Just endless flowing bile.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A shame that this Tomb Raider re-release isn't coming to the Wii U as previously rumored, I likely would have picked it up.

What would be the point in porting a PS4/XB1 quality version where those visual upgrades are the whole point of the release to a system where you'd have to downgrade the looks back to where you started with the original release?

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

What would be the point in porting a PS4/XB1 quality version where those visual upgrades are the whole point of the release to a system where you'd have to downgrade the looks back to where you started with the original release?

Hmmm... I suppose we'll see how well it sells. Tomb Raider is very cheap right now on PS3/360. Will this definitive edition sell at full price or budget price? Are there people who own a PS4/XB1 who didn't own a PS3/360 and are going to grab this?

Plus, doesn't the game have a bunch of flaws. I haven't played it, but I understood Lara is basically a violent mass murderer by the end of it. I suspect they aren't going to fix that.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    jouGXp6.png

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Interested to see if the Tomb Raider release will be 60fps/1080p.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Plus, doesn't the game have a bunch of flaws.

Not really, no. Pretty much every aspect of the game is polished to a mirror sheen. I mean, the multiplayer is shit, so there's that. They probably aren't going to fix that.

I haven't played it, but I understood Lara is basically a violent mass murderer by the end of it. I suspect they aren't going to fix that.

There's nothing to fix

She certainly becomes more and more cold-hearted as the game progresses, both in her willingness to kill and the way in which she does it (kill animations are even altered as the story progresses to become more violent), but it's not something jarring that takes you out of the game. It's rather gradual, or as gradual as it can be in a ten-hour game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Plus, doesn't the game have a bunch of flaws.

Not really, no. Pretty much every aspect of the game is polished to a mirror sheen. I mean, the multiplayer is shit, so there's that. They probably aren't going to fix that.

I haven't played it, but I understood Lara is basically a violent mass murderer by the end of it. I suspect they aren't going to fix that.

There's nothing to fix

She certainly becomes more and more cold-hearted as the game progresses, both in her willingness to kill and the way in which she does it (kill animations are even altered as the story progresses to become more violent), but it's not something jarring that takes you out of the game. It's rather gradual, or as gradual as it can be in a ten-hour game.

Eh, ok. I had read a few review reviews criticing it for going from "crying over her first kill" to hacking people in the head with climbing pick-axes within a matter of minutes.

I had been planning to get it for PS3 for ages, but my PS3 is gone now. Maybe sometime in 2015 when I finally get a PS4, I'll grab a bargain bin copy.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Tomb Raider is in my top 3 games if the year. 100% worth playing if you haven't yet.

And it's a very gradual and natural cuve of character development through the game. And by the time Laura finally has a grenade launcher and is screaming that she'll be hunting down the villains late in the game... you want them to pay as much as she does.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Tomb raider had the flaw of being forgettable.

The "character development" was laughable and badly performed. TLoU and even BioInfinite wipe the floor with it.

Bubby on
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider was a great game but I agree with its detractors that it doesn't do a very good job with making Lara seem any better than all the men she's slaughtering. In fact towards the end of the game, I actually had more sympathy for the pirates (excluding their leader) than I did any of the main characters.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Different strokes for different folks

Tomb Raider will likely find its way into my top five at the end of the year

The Last of Us might crack the top ten, and Infinite has basically no chance whatsoever

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

It would be more of a matter of the Wii U getting a game it hasn't gotten before, such as Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut, which is an amazing port.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I hope this is the last year of this shit. Spike TV is for Frat guys who believe that Madden and Call of Duty are the crowning achievements of gaming and their video game show shows that mentality. It gives gamers a bad image the same way assless chaps cowboys give gay people a bad image.

As far if Id pick up Tomb Raider for the PC, it would depend on what the pc has going on the console versions don't and how the mod community is. If the best mod is a nude skin, then Ill pass.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I agree the whole "gritty survival" stuff didn't matter to me. I remember when you got the Survival Instincts feature and thinking about the old guy telling her "Lara, remember your training! Press Q to activate Laravision so you can view key items and objectives!" Food is XP, medicine is for cutscenes only.

The thing is that you could cut all that out and swap young-Lara for the typical Lara, or perhaps Nathan Drake, and the game would still be excellent, because the environments and action speak louder to me than all the grimdark.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I hope this is the last year of this shit. Spike TV is for Frat guys who believe that Madden and Call of Duty are the crowning achievements of gaming and their video game show shows that mentality. It gives gamers a bad image the same way assless chaps cowboys give gay people a bad image

I'm just glad this wasn't on tv anymore/*only* a stream.

C2B on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    There's tons of intelligent, respected, and well known members of the gaming community, why won't someone just set up a new game awards show? Hell, Penny Arcade probably has the resources for that sort of thing, right?

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Tomb raider had the flaw of being forgettable.

The "character development" was laughable and badly performed. TLoU and even BioInfinite wipe the floor with it.

There was character development in infinite? News to me, and I played it twice. I guess we have to separate development from progression, really. I thought tomb raider was a better game...mostly because the gameplay in infinite was the worst. The absolute worst.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    After watching some of these clips, I feel like Geoff is the guy that brought a knife to a gun fight. And Joel basically said "Where is the anthrax. . .I'll bring that." Just wonderful levels of awkward - justifiably initiated by McHale. I mean did none of these guys ever watch a clip of The Soup?

Also those game reveals. . .give me a break. I do believe people who have the impression that other developers were like "The hell do we need this shit for." At least with the VGA's you had a huge theater and a platform to deliver your wares. This was basically some late night cable show with trailers in between. Can't believe I actually was excited for this crap.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    There's tons of intelligent, respected, and well known members of the gaming community, why won't someone just set up a new game awards show? Hell, Penny Arcade probably has the resources for that sort of thing, right?

Considering they're closing down the Penny Arcade Report and PATV by the end of the year, they're probably not interested in that sort of thing.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    thinking about it, i kinda get the feeling that the only people in the 'studio' along with Joel and Geoff were the production crew*. at any point when there was clapping it was because McHale initiated it, at times commenting on the fact and even he eventually gave up, there was no cheering or fanfare when awards were announced and the biggest 'audience' reaction came from McHale's "Holy Crap!" reaction after one of their outdoor segments.

they went from one extreme to another, a huge concert hall/arena packed to to rafters to an empty warehouse. surely finding a nice middle ground between the two would have helped save this thing from plumbing the depths that it did?

*and the occasional developer of course, but it doesn't seem like they were on hand all the time.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Considering they're closing down the Penny Arcade Report and PATV by the end of the year, they're probably not interested in that sort of thing.

This, as well, but also don't forget that Gamasutra runs the Game Developers Choice Awards with a small industry panel and, while they're not great either, they're at least less of a train wreck than VGA/VGX.

I drank through about an hour and a half of the show before I had to tap out. So instead I applied some Vita screen protectors in my drunken state, which went about as well as you'd expect, and that still went less terribly than VGX.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Considering they're *EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE* by the end of the year, they're probably not interested in that sort of thing.
    I'm sorry, what did you say?

But yeah, you do have a point.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The ONLY positive representation of a gamer (not a dev) who appeared last night was Elijah Wood.

And that includes those stupid youtube celebs.

(Well Matt and Trey, but I'm counting them under devs here. And they weren't at their best yesterday either)

C2B on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    even Elijah Wood i wouldn't count, because he technically wasn't on the show. they just showed some footage from the Broken Age development documentary.

also i says a lot about your show when an appearance from Matt and Trey is one of the least offensive things about it. but then only having them on for around 20 seconds will help with that i guess.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Pluses: Better than the old VGAs, at least.

Minuses: Pretty much everything else, including the fact that the so-called awards show didn't even award several of their awards that they told people to tune in to see awarded.

Seriously, why even dress it up with that? If you want your three-hour gaming fap-fest to show off trailers and chat up game devs midway between E3s, then just do that already.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Nintendo could have advertised so much to all these poor souls watching the VGX. Remember, they had a bunch of games that audience would have been interested in, like Bayonetta 2, or the new Smash Bros, or even X, which at the very least has open worlds and giant robots.

Instead Nintendo went "HEY VGX, CRANKY KONG IS IN OUR NEW DONKEY KONG GAwhat do you mean Amazon leaked that reveal a week awhat do you mean you don't give a shit about cranky you're watching the VGX you should be cranky

and the whole "I'm wearing a Metroid pin and I'm here with someone from Retro Studios who made the Metroid Prime games, but no, I'm not going to talk about Metroid in any fashion other than saying the word Metroid" thing.

I thought it was Geoff who brought up Metroid, not Reggie?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I didn't watch this last night because my sister was in a school production of Sweeney Todd, which me and the family went to go see. Judging from the last 10 or so pages, it was just as much of a horror show minus the neck slicing and meat pies.

I'm actually forward to getting the new Tomb Raider port since I missed it the first time around, and No Man's Sky looked pretty good. Aside from that, the whole show sounded awkward for everyone involved.

And why was Cranky Kong the only thing Nintendo had to show? Why does Geoff Keighley think he can talk to people like he talked to Reggie? Why didn't Joel Mchale start making meat pies out of Geoff Keighley? I need answers! :P

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Police. They were too afraid to intervene.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a comparison shot of Lara's old face vs. her new face? I remember hearing her face was getting tweaked but I couldn't tell how, outside of what looked like a general softening/rounding

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It was worse than the old vga's. Esoecially than last years which was cringeworthy but remotly acceptable. Imo, it was the worst I've ever seen due to the youtube celebs and the terrible production.

C2B on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Does anyone have a comparison shot of Lara's old face vs. her new face? I remember hearing her face was getting tweaked but I couldn't tell how, outside of what looked like a general softening/rounding

They got one on GAF. The jaw got a small change and it looks more colorful.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
This discussion has been closed.