As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spike VGX Awards] Come for the reveals, leave with the shame

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    It gives gamers a bad image the same way

The kind of people who refer to themselves as "gamers" all the time tend to do inflict far more damage on themselves than any outside force ever could. And seemingly being represented by the likes of pewpewdie and Fatal1ty is significantly more damning than any shitstorm Jack Thompson ever tried to stir up.

NNID: Rehab0
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    It gives gamers a bad image the same way

The kind of people who refer to themselves as "gamers" all the time tend to do inflict far more damage on themselves than any outside force ever could. And seemingly being represented by the likes of pewpewdie and Fatal1ty is significantly more damning than any shitstorm Jack Thompson ever tried to stir up.

The stuff people do in the gaming community is usually localized and rarely escapes it. What outside forces do stay there and encompass the media sometimes if the shitstorm gets rolling. Hard to say what's more damaging, but I'd venture to say the latter considering that's headline bait material and ticker scrolling bait.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Maybe I'm just old and don't get the emergent demographic - the people shows like this appeals to. I look at the YouTube personalities with large followings and they're just loud cartoons to me. On one hand I want to say that this is probably how my father felt about the young entertainers I used to watch as a pre-Internet kid. But honestly, I don't think any generation has ever had it this bad. They're offering nothing you couldn't find by just watching any random 12 year old play a video game - and many of these personalities are grown ass men and women.

jeffinva on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It comes down to the fact that no matter what you do on Youtube, the only way people will watch your shit is if you have tits, you're flaming gay, sound like Fred, or you have a British accent. Normally people don't get much of the spot, which is ashame as some of my favorite Youtubers are normal people.

I blame it mostly on Spongebob Squarepants. That's when cartoons died and when Youtube was becoming popular.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Woah woah woah. Are you talking shit about Spongebob Squarepants? Pistols at dawn.

• DversedDversed Registered User regular
    Seriously dude. I was with you until the Spongebob part.

Well, look at the character. He's a mentally retarded character who is gay but we can't making him gay because he's in a kids show, that finds blowing bubbles and catching jellyfish entertaining and just about every popular Youtuber, from Fred to that =3 guy, act just like him. This Pewpewdie guy is like the South Park version of SB.

Its might be a good show (especially compared to the garbage I've seen now days. What happen to Doug and Angry Beavers? Or Bill Nye The Science Guy?) but it's what started this downward dive to stupidity where we have crap for Kids shows.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dude, you're gonna lose this conversation because Adventure Time exists.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Stupid Youtube personalities distilled down to a show would be Uncle Grandpa.

It is literally "lawl randum" and it is the worst.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

and regular show, and phineus and ferb and young justice(well that did exist). we could go on but there's a western animation thread over in D&D for that.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Why can't everything be like when I was a kid, grumbled humans through all time.

I'm not familiar with pewdiepie, why does everyone hate him?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Why can't everything be like when I was a kid, grumbled humans through all time.

you'd have to searching through the early pages of the thread, but there was a video posted of him and people's reactions to him. its... its not pretty. not by any means.

Not all the kids shows today are crap. I find myself watching Kick Buttowski more than I'd like to admit. Never got into Adventure Time because I'm lost as to who is who but it doesn't look too bad.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

you'd have to searching through the early pages of the thread, but there was a video posted of him and people's reactions to him. its... its not pretty. not by any means.

That would be this one.

http://youtu.be/FFbVKL-Meo0

I'm sorry.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    It comes down to the fact that no matter what you do on Youtube, the only way people will watch your shit is if you have tits, you're flaming gay, sound like Fred, or you have a British accent. Normally people don't get much of the spot, which is ashame as some of my favorite Youtubers are normal people.

I blame it mostly on Spongebob Squarepants. That's when cartoons died and when Youtube was becoming popular.

Tell us how you really feel.

Crayon wrote: »

Tell us how you really feel.

Like my happiness died and I want Samurai Jack back!

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I like a lot of the video content out there. It's not all Pewdiepie.

I get a lot of enjoyment from Game Grumps and Giant Bomb and Two Best Friends, what I've seen of Yogscast and Continue stuff has been alright.

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Zero Punctuation is also great when he isn't being a massive asshole.

Zero Punctuation is funny but 90% of the time I can't agree with him.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I watch a lot of Etho, and from his XCOM video's that I've watched, Marbozir seems good too.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    A shame that this Tomb Raider re-release isn't coming to the Wii U as previously rumored, I likely would have picked it up.

What would be the point in porting a PS4/XB1 quality version where those visual upgrades are the whole point of the release to a system where you'd have to downgrade the looks back to where you started with the original release?

It would be more of a matter of the Wii U getting a game it hasn't gotten before, such as Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut, which is an amazing port.

If this rerelease was going to be on the PS3 and 360 as well sure, but it's PS4 and XB1 specifically for the graphical updates.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Good grief.

**edit** video blocked already. It was a montage of some of the more awkward moments.

You poor bastards who actually watched this thing.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Video is blocked already.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I was kind of hoping no one here gave this garbage the time of day. Their strategy worked. It was utter garbage, and yet people won't stop talking about it, and far too many people tuned in due to some sort of trainwreck mentality.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular

Do you think rape jokes and screaming like a child are the height of comedy? If so, you just might have a career as a Youtube superstar.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping no one here gave this garbage the time of day. Their strategy worked. It was utter garbage, and yet people won't stop talking about it, and far too many people tuned in due to some sort of trainwreck mentality.

Trick question: if you didn't yourself watch it, how do you know it was utter garbage

Trick question: if you didn't yourself watch it, how do you know it was utter garbage

I'm going to guess he read some of the posts in this thread that make that very point.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie

At least it had the trainwreck mentality behind it, which is way more than past VGAs could claim

The Nintendo segment was painful to watch in the best way

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I glanced at it when I heard it was on. I managed around 10 minutes.

wVEsyIc.png
    I got through the whole video. I laughed at the guy at the end who was like "I guess that's about as bad as it gets." Then the face says something and he goes "Then there's that."

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    A Former Spike/GameTrailers Employee On Why The VGAs Are So Terrible
    A lot of people seem a bit confused as to just what the hell is going on with the VGAs. As a former employee of both Spike and GameTrailers, I can tell you exactly what's happening.

I've worked for Spike and GameTrailers in web content, and both times, I left, on good terms, the same way: A few ranks above my boss's head, a new executive was slotted into place, and the first thing he did was, essentially, piss all over everything to establish dominance. Usually that meant people (like me) getting fired and at least one of the editors on the site forced to quit, or deciding to leave before the hammer came down. It also meant budget cuts with higher demands.

To give you an idea of the scale of the problem, I have no bitterness over my firing because the first day of work I realized that what they wanted me to achieve was impossible. I wasn't told this in so many words, but the job of myself and a fair number of good guys was to get GTs views up so they wouldn't get killed by YouTube. I worked hard for my money and was very well paid, but I knew the clock was ticking down the moment I was told I couldn't use a YouTube embed because "YouTube is our competitor."

The VGAs are really to promote GameTrailers, a site Viacom has spent a lot of money on and is probably going to wind up killing sooner rather than later. The short of it is that Viacom had to demonstrate to publishers that there was a compelling reason to not just post everything on YouTube. They haven't done that.

The VGAs this year had the rank stench of executive piss about them, to be honest, starting with the name change: I know the staff there still and VGX is definitely an order from on high. They can be cheesy but they wouldn't do something like that voluntarily. I'd lay down money McHale was a last-minute addition to the show and that neither he nor GT wanted him on there. The budget cuts, again, classic Viacom executive: I guarantee that the new guy just cut the budget in half and sent it back with a note saying "Do Better."

So, essentially, the VGAs suck because they have an impossible job; Make gamers care about Spike and GT. Once GT gets shut down, and I give that a couple more years, expect the VGAs to go with it.

So there you have it.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fascinating.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    If the VGAs die, is Keighley contractually obligated to commit seppuku?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

One can hope.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    If the redditor is being truthful, it would explain the near complete lack of respect for the show itself by everyone except Keighly. It bled through the production.

Speaking of which, just a few opinions about the shit show itself (the horribleness of it all really stuck with me):

I understand why a company would want to hire a popular, witty celebrity as a co-host. But they would have been better served letting McHale use his improvisational talent in smaller bites. They should have had him out by the stage, quickly bantering with who had just finished their segments as a sort of followup. He could have worked off of what was just shown and discussed, and his intros and outros still could have been written jokes. Those guys screaming about cheese or whatever would have never been a part of the show.

The actual co-host should have been someone else recognizable from the industry. There are plenty of people to choose from. They could have gone with a pretty face like Belmont or Hardwick, someone who tends to be a more insightful observer (Gertsmann would be ideal but I doubt he would have done it even for top dollar), or just gone the easy route and just hired Adam Sessler.

jeffinva on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Its always the titanic falls that we weren't expecting or hyped about that hurt us the most.

NNID: Rehab0
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular

I can't even bother with him anymore after he shat all over TLoU. Goes against his love of HL2 and Silent Hill 2 in almost every way.

Bubby wrote: »

I can't even bother with him anymore after he shat all over TLoU. Goes against his love of HL2 and Silent Hill 2 in almost every way.

What?

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    "We're resetting," she said. "We're literally just resetting the table so we can bring it to more people, so we can use our collective Viacom reach in a broader way."

Man I can't wait for them to show up at my house with a rebooted table.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
This discussion has been closed.