As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12/4/13 - "Didn't I kill you already?"

MunchMunch Registered User regular
Six-Gun Gorilla #6; "I think that's an ending."
In this final issue, Simon Spurrier and Jeff Stokely wrap up their story, and take never-ending serial fiction to task.

6aocLTI.jpg

When the TPB comes out, I really recommend everyone check it out. What started as a comic about a monkey with a gun, became a really thoughtful reflection on the nature of story, and those that create it.

The Fox #2; "Hero us, courage man!"
Dean Haspiel and Mark Waid continue to flesh out this average-Joe hero, by sending him to an alien realm, teaming him up with fellow Archie hero, Bob Phantom, and confronting him several severed heads on pikes, all of which have his face. It's fun!

And in the Shield back-up, JM DeMatteis and Mike Cavallaro do a fun flashback story about the Shield's exploits in WWII. It starts as a superhero v.s. monsters story, and becomes an examination of how the different patriotic heroes of America, Germany, and Japan were just faceless stereotypes, easily pitted against one another, as their identities stripped them of their basic humanity.

I have to say, Cavallaro's art is really great. It's a bit like Dan McDaid, by way of Chris Samnee. There's a similar exaggeration of form, but with Samnee's attention to black-spotting and line quality.

GTCIEOD.jpg

Absolution: Happy Kitty Special; "I don't want to play anymore."
Precognitive assassin, Happy Kitty, has her origin revealed in this one-shot, by Christos Gage and Paul Duffield. Duffield's been noticeably absent from comics since completing Freakangels, with Warren Ellis, so it was nice to see him back here.

Happy Kitty's always been one of the more troubling aspects of Absolution; for a book that gleefully depicts the murder of pedophiles, rapists, etc. it's always been a little odd to have a teenage character running around in a schoolgirl outfit. But, this book does a good job of fleshing her out, and making her feel like a whole character. It's a bit cliche, following a similar route as most assassin-gone-straight movies and books, but for the space he had, I think Gage did as best as could be expected. If he'd had a whole mini-series to work with, I think he could have turned her into a much richer character.

HIbKy1r.jpg

I do think Duffield does a great job. The action scene above, particularly the way it cuts between the mob boss' words, to show Happy Kitty's pure speed and efficiency, shows that Duffield's able to execute action. He also does some really great, quiet scenes, where a lot of the emotion's expressed solely through his art.

It's a good book. Check it out.

Prophet #41; "The dream dies."
XZQn9fo.jpg

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Holy crap Inhumanity #001.

Images + big spoilers

inhumanity01.jpg
    inhumanity02.jpg
    inhumanity03.jpg
    inhumanity04.jpg

This is how you do a character death right.

I'm almost never one for a character death - I usually find it's being done for gratuitous shock value or lack of imagination over what to do with a character. But here it works so well.
    There's emotion and meaning and it isn't being done just to show what the score is with some big villain. There's a good chance this one will stick since Karnak is long established but not exactly a widely known character.

He was my favorite Inhuman after Black Bolt and he ended his life to free his people from the shackles of their past, of which he himself was one such shackle with his ability to see faults - but only faults as he perceived it, through the lens of rigid Inhuman society. That kind of limited view would only harm this new Inhuman nation. He took himself out of it because it was the only way to truly protect it - from himself. It was meaningful, powerful, and sad.

Hope they don't just have him be in a coma next issue, though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    My moment of the week is all of action comics. Greg Pak continues to make every other person who touched superman in the last two years look the fool.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Amazing X-Men #2
    XMJ9dQx.jpg
    sxZgHfS.jpg
    rLgOA3m.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Cataclysm #2

Huge improvement over the first issue, once Tony Stark figures out that Galactus is from the 616 universe, he realizes that they in fact have something of an expert in that area.
    UcRyNbJ.jpg
    2rmfcng.jpg
    FAAGY3R.jpg
    6S8nVf9.jpg

And then.. we get our Frodo moment.
    6Wpu40i.jpg
    K6R0Qsj.jpg
    6fAzgLE.jpg
    OnoMMKG.jpg

But who will be our Boromir?
    VMF6OVp.jpg
    wUg9Uhj.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love Jason Aaron's mission to make Bobby Drake a force to be reckoned with

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Secret Avengers #12

Ales Kot joins as co-writer before taking over full time with the new #1 next year, and the wonderful Butch Guice takes over on art and suddenly I am really excited for this book. It begins, with some defectors from AIM Island.
    9uItBAs.jpg
    iCufJUi.jpg
    vfxbBoo.jpg
    AQCABma.jpg
    KLFFK3I.jpg
    jJD39ta.jpg
    Pi2sPM9.jpg
    UzbkjQW.jpg
    g9LNGpy.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Velvet #2 Brubaker writes car chases like I play Sleeping Dogs.
    PAyLrdR.jpg
    ZtERcCj.jpg
    Gf6kPc2.jpg
    aIkQgXN.jpg
    3W1WWMn.jpg
    v2SgaLU.jpg
    NLeq2KG.jpg

CSIrKgp.jpg
    OVBepdi.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Velvet looks pretty great

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Velvet looks pretty great

It's awesome. Anyone who liked his early Captain America stuff should give it a shot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Cataclysm #2

Huge improvement over the first issue, once Tony Stark figures out that Galactus is from the 616 universe, he realizes that they in fact have something of an expert in that area.
    UcRyNbJ.jpg
    2rmfcng.jpg
    FAAGY3R.jpg
    6S8nVf9.jpg

6Wpu40i.jpg
    K6R0Qsj.jpg
    6fAzgLE.jpg
    OnoMMKG.jpg

VMF6OVp.jpg
    wUg9Uhj.jpg
    Any explanation for the suit Reed's wearing? Not too shabby if used as the suit for a rebooted UF4.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Cataclysm #2

UcRyNbJ.jpg
    2rmfcng.jpg
    FAAGY3R.jpg
    6S8nVf9.jpg

6Wpu40i.jpg
    K6R0Qsj.jpg
    6fAzgLE.jpg
    OnoMMKG.jpg

VMF6OVp.jpg
    wUg9Uhj.jpg
    Any explanation for the suit Reed's wearing? Not too shabby if used as the suit for a rebooted UF4.
    no explanation, kinda looks like the one bagely drew in the now F4 though[/spoiler[

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic