As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How cold is it where you are?

DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
This is what we had in the Seattle area on Dec 7th
Clear
Actual: 32 | 19
Precip: 0.00
Average: 46 | 36
Precip: 0.19
Weather Underground. I understand there is snow about the country. People going to work? Staying home? What are you talking about it is sunny and hot where I am?

Just curious. Anyway, I'm off work in 2 hours, so go home to nice bed and sleep soon. Oh, and a pond on the campus where I work froze.
Ice%20Thickness.jpg?psid=1
Two pieces. The thicker one took a hammer to break ice and get out.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It's not really cold here. I mean, it's cold in my mouth, because I'm eating ice out of the glass of gin & tonic I have right now. But its not frozen outside.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    39°F here in Hunts Vegas, TX.

So... getting on the colder side for this part of Texas. Unfortunately, looks like it's going to start heating up again in the coming days. Really hoping we get some snow this year. Which, I understand snow can be a serious pain in other parts of the world, but down here it's mostly still a welcome novelty given that actual snowfalls that accumulate on the ground are a rarity. I think in my life it's happened three, maybe four times? Most years even flurries are a rarity that we may not see.

Still, one of those handfuls of times we actually had a heavy snowfall started around 11pm on Christmas Eve. It was pretty freakin' awesome.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Half and inch of snow which fell two days ago, -2C. Stockholm, Sweden. THOUGH VERY SUNNY AND HAPPY MOOD OUTSIDE YAY!

We get snow later and later every year.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's just 32 F right now. Yesterday's snow is already going away. Yesterday's freezing rain was crazy though.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    21°F here, still inches of snow on the ground.

We're not supposed to get snow until late december (earliest), but mostly it happens in early February and early March. So, having had two snow storms this year (and already beating our yearly snowfall total in two weeks!) is quite unusual.

Edit: My kids school is canceled because a lot of the backroads are still a bit slippery, but it's finals week at my uni and the roads are clear enough for the adults to go get their testing on.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Helsinki, Finland.

-13°C / 8.6°F

Liable to get warmer tomorrow or Wednesday. So far the cold record of the winter has been -37°C / -34.6°F in the northernmost part of the country.
    People here practically never stay at home, nor do places/universities/shops/whatever close due to cold/snow. It's a bizarre thing I've never understood about the U.S.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    This is from the steam thread, but in Seattle, people don't know how to drive, or when they shouldn't.
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    Also...
    *picture of a car not entirely covered by snow*

Looks like I'm not going anywhere. Steam day?

...why don't you just brush the snow off? :P

I swear you people wouldn't last ten minutes in Alaska. :)

Snow is something I can see from two different perspectives. I did my driver's ed in Winnipeg during the winter, so I can understand the concept of driving in the snow comes down to, "don't be an idiot."

However, I now live on the coast where the concept of a straight, flat road seems as realistic as Lovecraftian geometry. Minus 15 Celsius means the roads and the snow are dry, so it's much like sand on top of the pavement. Temperatures hovering right around freezing mean a layer of ice under the snow. As someone with a rear wheel drive/rear engine vehicle on the coast, anything close to an inch of snow means staying home and playing video games all day.

Since I have manual steering (thank you, God) I have very good idea of when I'm not in full control of my vehicle. On my way home on Thursday there was about 1-3cm of snow on the road. However, there was a full mile or so where I knew my steering wheel was only giving my car a rough suggestion on where it should go.

Coastal drivers are terrible in the snow, full stop. However, driving in the snow in Kansas or Alaska, is an entirely different experience than driving in the snow in Portland or Victoria.

I live in greater Seattle area. I will leave you with this on that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

I know exactly where that is from the violin shop on the corner and question why any human being would even glance down that road at the abyss that is at the bottom.

In fact, half mile away....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hblLvfCE72k

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Saw Snow for the first time Ever, so that was kinda nice.
    883254_10202979867722564_1390812626_o.jpg

1496276_10202979867682563_1382007624_o.jpg

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    39 degrees Fahrenheit in Peyongtek, South Korea. I'll be asking my doctor if its okay that I learn to Ski.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    At present it is -12 deg C/-17 deg C w/wind chill (10 deg F feeling like 1 deg F w/wind chill) but going up to -5 with a few inches of snow being forecast between this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Saw Snow for the first time Ever, so that was kinda nice.
    883254_10202979867722564_1390812626_o.jpg

1496276_10202979867682563_1382007624_o.jpg

Yay snow!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I guess I take it for granted that some places, or people just don't see snow. I don't think we get some real snow every year, but it is just a drive up to the mountains to see in greater Seattle area.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Helsinki, Finland.

-13°C / 8.6°F

Liable to get warmer tomorrow or Wednesday. So far the cold record of the winter has been -37°C / -34.6°F in the northernmost part of the country.
    People here practically never stay at home, nor do places/universities/shops/whatever close due to cold/snow. It's a bizarre thing I've never understood about the U.S.

A lot of that in the US is in regions that don't get regular massive amounts of snow. I'd wager if heavy snowfall were enough to shut down Finland the country wouldn't operate for a quarter of the year. For y'all, it's a part of life, and society just works around it.

Like here in Southeastern Texas we'll close down a lot of things, because of how rare major snowstorms are. And enough people are absolutely retarded and don't realize that icy conditions are nothing like rainy conditions when it comes to driving, and when it happens there's oodles of wrecks from idiots trying to zoom around at 75mph in their oversized pickups... doesn't tend to end well. So we shut things down, because it'll probably only be for the day, and it'll encourage people who are ignorant of the conditions, or simply inexperienced in driving in those conditions, from going out on the road, and to keep the people who do know how to drive in icy conditions from getting killed by someone who doesn't.

Which is also part of it. Public transportation in most of the US outside of NYC is looked down upon and the vast majority of people drive themselves, and part of that is the more "sprawling" design of American cities compared to European ones.

So, to summarize:

1. Less frequent/heavy snowfall in much of the country
    2. People in that much of the country by and large have no idea how to handle driving in snowy conditions.
    3. Alternative forms of transportation to driving yourself are typically off the table.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Helsinki, Finland.

-13°C / 8.6°F

A lot of that in the US is in regions that don't get regular massive amounts of snow. I'd wager if heavy snowfall were enough to shut down Finland the country wouldn't operate for a quarter of the year. For y'all, it's a part of life, and society just works around it.

Like here in Southeastern Texas we'll close down a lot of things, because of how rare major snowstorms are. And enough people are absolutely retarded and don't realize that icy conditions are nothing like rainy conditions when it comes to driving, and when it happens there's oodles of wrecks from idiots trying to zoom around at 75mph in their oversized pickups... doesn't tend to end well. So we shut things down, because it'll probably only be for the day, and it'll encourage people who are ignorant of the conditions, or simply inexperienced in driving in those conditions, from going out on the road, and to keep the people who do know how to drive in icy conditions from getting killed by someone who doesn't.

Which is also part of it. Public transportation in most of the US outside of NYC is looked down upon and the vast majority of people drive themselves, and part of that is the more "sprawling" design of American cities compared to European ones.

So, to summarize:

2. People in that much of the country by and large have no idea how to handle driving in snowy conditions.
    3. Alternative forms of transportation to driving yourself are typically off the table.

Ah, that actually makes it a lot clearer. I wonder why I didn't think of it that way before.

I imagine the problem with nr. 2 is that there's a... "4WD"-problem? People thinking that just because they have a huge 4WD truck, they have magical traction? I've seen some videos on youtube where people start slipping with their cars, and just gun it, as if though slamming the throttle on full would fix the slide.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Currently -1°F in Omaha, Nebraska. Wind chills putting it at around -17°F, looking to dip near -20° by the end of the day.

So basically fuck Midwestern winters.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Helsinki, Finland.

-13°C / 8.6°F

So, to summarize:

Ah, that actually makes it a lot clearer. I wonder why I didn't think of it that way before.

I imagine the problem with nr. 2 is that there's a... "4WD"-problem? People thinking that just because they have a huge 4WD truck, they have magical traction? I've seen some videos on youtube where people start slipping with their cars, and just gun it, as if though slamming the throttle on full would fix the slide.

At least in Texas, yeah, that's a big part of it. The majority of the people I've seen driving recklessly and causing/getting into accidents in cold weather around here have been guys in the bigass pickup trucks.

And, unfortunately, Texas is chock-full of rednecks who love to drive the biggest pick-up trucks they can as fast as they can (and then bitch about high gas prices). Sure, all that weight will help prevent hydroplaning in the rain, but on ice it just means it'll be that much harder for you to get control over your Ford F450 Super Duty when it goes into a slide (which, when you're going 70, it almost certainly will).

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    -13C in the canadian federal capital area. Nothing to complain about here, i vastly prefer the cold to scorching heat.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    I can agree with you on that jean. I hate the hot.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Where I live here in Sweden it's around -5 degrees celsius which is apparently around 23 fahrenheit (why would anyone use fahrenheit) but towards the north of Sweden the temperatures are hitting -37 degrees celsius or -34 fahrenheit

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    A half decent -4 Celsius here in Oslo. Unfortunately it's getting warmer. And the snow was so nice as well! Everything will be an ice covered shit stain from Hell in a few days time.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    its a lovely 10 degrees celsius here in South England. No snow so far although i'm sure we'll have some at some point and the entire country will shut down when it does snow

• Options
    Neli wrote: »
    Where I live here in Sweden it's around -5 degrees celsius which is apparently around 23 fahrenheit (why would anyone use fahrenheit) but towards the north of Sweden the temperatures are hitting -37 degrees celsius or -34 fahrenheit

Because it's a cycle. Everyone in the US is raised with it, thus it's what they're comfortable with, and thus it's all we use, meaning the next generation grows up with it...

Everyone with half an education is aware how silly it is, but if you started blurting out "it's -5 degrees outside" over here, 9/10 you'd be met with a blank stare while the other person tried to figure out if you had a broken thermometer, were bullshitting them, or finally coming to the conclusion "Oh, right, Celsius". Same reason we still use feet and miles and pounds over here. Sure, they're kinda silly, but they're also deeply ingrained into the culture at this point.

And I'd argue it's not a big deal. It's only a factor with international/scientific interactions, and Americans participating in either are more than happy to abandon our F for C.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Today: Frickin' cold
    Tomorrow: Goddamn chilly

• Options
    Jean wrote: »
    -13C in the canadian federal capital area. Nothing to complain about here, i vastly prefer the cold to scorching heat.

The heat is one of two things I don't like about living in Texas.

The other is the more "fundamentalist" branch of Republicans.

Thankfully, the all the thunderstorms and the more fiscally-focused conservatives help balance that out.

Also? Blue Bell ice cream. I've tried all the other "major" brands, and can confirm they are utterly inferior. Nothing like Blue Bell chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream on a scorching summer day.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Lessons learned from First Time Ever Going Out in Snow:
    • Use umbrella and pull scarf over face -- snowflakes hitting you in the face sucks
    • Tuck pant legs into snow boots
    • Miraculously, the usual morning rush at Starbucks is non-existent on the first snow day of the year

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2013
    Neli wrote: »

Because it's a cycle. Everyone in the US is raised with it, thus it's what they're comfortable with, and thus it's all we use, meaning the next generation grows up with it...

Everyone with half an education is aware how silly it is, but if you started blurting out "it's -5 degrees outside" over here, 9/10 you'd be met with a blank stare while the other person tried to figure out if you had a broken thermometer, were bullshitting them, or finally coming to the conclusion "Oh, right, Celsius". Same reason we still use feet and miles and pounds over here. Sure, they're kinda silly, but they're also deeply ingrained into the culture at this point.

And I'd argue it's not a big deal. It's only a factor with international/scientific interactions, and Americans participating in either are more than happy to abandon our F for C.

Fahrenheit is not a dumb scale.

Its temperature ranges match up well with what people are likely to experience, and there's no inherent reason to like it more or less than Celsius - it has the same benefits and flaws, the only reason it's less useful in science is because it's not as easily converted to Kelvin, the One True Scale.

It just kinda gets thrown in with the rest of the metric stuff, which actually is superior because of ease of conversion and relation between units. But as much as I hate the US clinging to imperial, Fahrenheit isn't inherently inferior (unlike, say, pounds/feet/inches).

Shivahn on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Currently 15 F in Kansas. Been getting down to 5ish at night.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    35°F

Which wouldn't be so bad but we haven't had power since 2:00pm yesterday, so it's that cold inside now, too!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    It's a bit cold, feels more like January / February, but nothing unusual here...28 / 15 windchill.

Had a light dusting of snow, but the roads were fine this morning.

Also, feet / inches aren't totally stupid, at least for construction. 10 doesn't divide into thirds cleanly, and even quarters make you deal with fractions / decimals. Twelve is much easier to work with when you're doing a lot of measuring and cuts, and makes most everything into integer operations.

Weight / volume are similarly handy for divisibility in the imperial system. Volumes also have a nice progression from teaspoon -> gallon that are easily divisible, and progress in simple measurable units that relate to the commonly used volumes of ingredients for cooking. But hey, metric is still better all around if you're used to it.

Just that imperial isn't as completely useless and backward as it's made out to be.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    It's -30 C and with the wind feels like -40 C been like this for the last week or so.

Only good thing about this weather is that the lakes and rivers will be ready for ice fishing soon :P

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

This has always been my stance in life. Hell of a lot easier to warm up than cool off.

The Canadian in me would like to play the smug card and laugh at the people going nuts over -2/30 weather. But I can't anymore. I was born and raised in -40 Albertan winter. But I've lived on Vancouver Island for too long. Now I'm acclimatized to the weather here, and when it hit -2 a day ago, it was cold. It actually fucking snowed here too, but the typical snow we usually get - if at all - where it barely covered the grass and is gone by day's end.

I'm silently hoping we get dumped on. It's not unheard of, it just rarely happens. I've got pictures of the last dump we got a few years back. You'd swear the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man had exploded outside the window.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Fahrenheit is a better scale to use during the summer, but Celsius is much more logical to use in the winter.

It's slightly below freezing here, but it feels much warmer than that for some reason.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Just because you're used to suffering doesn't mean it doesn't suck :P

But, yeah, much prefer cold to heat... especially hot and humid.

Why I still live in Virginia, I may never know.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    It was 5°F in Utah for me this morning.

So...fuck.

Also snow, all of the snow.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    My car said it was a toasty 6°F on my drive into work.
    Snow still all over the place, but the major roads are pretty clear. Yay, Colorado.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's 4 degrees Fahrenheit here, and that's warm. Last week was quite firmly sub-zero.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    34 in Maryland, 20 minutes north of DC. According to Weather Channel, got 3.5 inches of snow yesterday (though I think that is a big overestimation) and supposed to get another 2-4 tomorrow. Trees are covered in ice and roads are very slushy.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's cold because I don't have a heater
    Temp wise it's 26f

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Helsinki, Finland.

-13°C / 8.6°F

So, to summarize:

It's also important to note that areas that might be considered to have typical "winter" weather will vary heavily on this as well. Areas near large bodies of water tend to have milder temperatures, but get inundated with the white stuff - systems pick up moisture in large amounts, then happily dump it on the coast. Inland areas are the opposite - less water means less snowfall, but it also means more extreme temperatures.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Pretty mild, was 32 coming in, an inch on the ground.

We'll pay for it in Feb I'm sure

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+