As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How cold is it where you are?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Fahrenheit is a better scale to use during the summer, but Celsius is much more logical to use in the winter.

It's slightly below freezing here, but it feels much warmer than that for some reason.

hypothermia

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I almost slipped on ice a couple of times walking to work this morning...

...in San Jose.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

...in San Jose.

"Can you show me the way to break my back in San Jose? "

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

...in San Jose.

"Can you show me the way to break my back in San Jose? "

Pay rent! mirite people?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Just below freezing on Vancouver island; it's been chilly all week.

Guess Global Warming really was just a hoax afterall.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Low 40s during the day here, but it's been getting into the mid 20s at night. We consider this incredibly cold because we live in a normal, non-hideous climate where god doesn't keep trying to throw ice-based plagues at us.

We were promised a chance of snow over the weekend, but we didn't get any because the meteorologists are big stupid liar-faces. (It hardly ever snows in Sacramento. It's happened once in the 19 years I've lived here.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Fahrenheit is a better scale to use during the summer, but Celsius is much more logical to use in the winter.

It's slightly below freezing here, but it feels much warmer than that for some reason.

When it's well below freezing, the air doesn't feel as cold simply because its drier. Around the freezing point, the water vapour in the air that conducts heat hasn't turned into ice/snow/rime/hoar yet, so it contributes to the air feeling colder at 0 centigrade vs. -5 centigrade or so. Dry, colder air doesn't sap your heat quite as readily.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yellowknife, 400 kms south of the Arctic Circle.

It's warmer today, -26 Celsius. We were down to -32 Celsius yesterday.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I have a friend who lives up in Kotzebue, AK. It was colder here in Seattle than up in Kotz this weekend. ¬_¬

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Current conditions are 15F with a 12mph wind gusting to 25. Going to be even colder tomorrow and colder still on Wednesday before the heat wave rolls in this weekend and gets us to near 30.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    My car said it was a toasty 6°F on my drive into work.
    Snow still all over the place, but the major roads are pretty clear. Yay, Colorado.

Yeah we've had single digits for a week straight and it sucks

the heating in my apartment isn't really up to the task, the indoor temperature keeps steadily falling

I've had to break out the space heater to stay warm :(

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I think today is actually a record high -- a balmy 86F/30C in FL, with lows in the upper 60s.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I think today is actually a record high -- a balmy 86F/30C in FL, with lows in the upper 60s.

Man, how hot does it get during summer? I'd personally hate it there.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

110° or so, but with the humidity it feels like satan's asshole

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

The abominable snowmen will almost be ready to hibernate for spring with those balmy conditions.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    34 in Maryland, 20 minutes north of DC. According to Weather Channel, got 3.5 inches of snow yesterday (though I think that is a big overestimation) and supposed to get another 2-4 tomorrow. Trees are covered in ice and roads are very slushy.

I live up in Westminster (20-30 mins northwest of Baltimore) and we got closer to 8, 8.5 inches yesterday. My puppy loved it and went nuts. And they've upped it to 4-6 for tomorrow for most of Maryland.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

It definitely feels like it's around 110, but it pretty much never actually cracks 100 near the water, it's just in the upper 90s pretty much all the time. The humidity totally makes it feel like satan's asshole.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

The abominable snowmen will almost be ready to hibernate for spring with those balmy conditions.

You ain't kidding.

Though Jan/Feb is when the temp really drops. We hit -52 last Winter.

• Options

Ughhh....

• Options

Fun fact: Satan keeps Florida right next to his toilet so he can use it as a wet-wipe.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular

When it's well below freezing, the air doesn't feel as cold simply because its drier. Around the freezing point, the water vapour in the air that conducts heat hasn't turned into ice/snow/rime/hoar yet, so it contributes to the air feeling colder at 0 centigrade vs. -5 centigrade or so. Dry, colder air doesn't sap your heat quite as readily.

I just want to go on record and say that "rime" is one of the coolest (pun accidental, but I'll take it) words in the English language.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Fun fact: Satan keeps Florida right next to his toilet so he can use it as a wet-wipe.

And this is why god invented air conditioning

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oricalm wrote: »
    34 in Maryland, 20 minutes north of DC. According to Weather Channel, got 3.5 inches of snow yesterday (though I think that is a big overestimation) and supposed to get another 2-4 tomorrow. Trees are covered in ice and roads are very slushy.

I live up in Westminster (20-30 mins northwest of Baltimore) and we got closer to 8, 8.5 inches yesterday. My puppy loved it and went nuts. And they've upped it to 4-6 for tomorrow for most of Maryland.

It looked like it was snowing like crazy during the Ravens game yesterday! I'm so jealous of your 8 inches, I love snow! Hopefully the predictions are right for tomorrow, I'd like to finally get more just a light dusting!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Where I live here in Sweden it's around -5 degrees celsius which is apparently around 23 fahrenheit (why would anyone use fahrenheit) but towards the north of Sweden the temperatures are hitting -37 degrees celsius or -34 fahrenheit

Because it's a cycle. Everyone in the US is raised with it, thus it's what they're comfortable with, and thus it's all we use, meaning the next generation grows up with it...

Everyone with half an education is aware how silly it is, but if you started blurting out "it's -5 degrees outside" over here, 9/10 you'd be met with a blank stare while the other person tried to figure out if you had a broken thermometer, were bullshitting them, or finally coming to the conclusion "Oh, right, Celsius". Same reason we still use feet and miles and pounds over here. Sure, they're kinda silly, but they're also deeply ingrained into the culture at this point.

And I'd argue it's not a big deal. It's only a factor with international/scientific interactions, and Americans participating in either are more than happy to abandon our F for C.

Fahrenheit is not a dumb scale.

Its temperature ranges match up well with what people are likely to experience, and there's no inherent reason to like it more or less than Celsius - it has the same benefits and flaws, the only reason it's less useful in science is because it's not as easily converted to Kelvin, the One True Scale.

It just kinda gets thrown in with the rest of the metric stuff, which actually is superior because of ease of conversion and relation between units. But as much as I hate the US clinging to imperial, Fahrenheit isn't inherently inferior (unlike, say, pounds/feet/inches).

They're both arbitrary, however having water freeze at 32, boil at 212 and turning ovens to 400 is just silly. Fahrenheit is defined by three points - the natural temperature of a specific brine mixture, the natural temperature of an ice water mixture... and blood temperature. At least celcius is consistent

You just use 2/5 degree increments in talking about the weather instead of 5/10

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I hear it's cold in Seattle.

Wouldn't know, I'm in Guam on business this week. Ninety and sunny. Getting some beach time
    In.

#winning

• Options
    Get out. Nobody likes a braggart
    Take me with you!

• Options
    I'm so jealous of your 8 inches

If I had a nickel...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm so jealous of your 8 inches

If I had a nickel...

Hey that is completely taken out of context! I was obviously talking about his penis.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

You heard it here first, folks!

The Gulf of Mexico: Satan's Toilet.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

You heard it here first, folks!

The Gulf of Mexico: Satan's Toilet.

That's BP's motto!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, this weekend we were hitting -40 with the windchill. It is oddly one of my favorite temperatures to hit, because it is the same in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

I also like Celsius as a measurement much more, due to being on a scale of 0 (freezing) to 100 (boiling) and -40 (alcohol freezes). So much easier.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I hear it's cold in Seattle.

Wouldn't know, I'm in Guam on business this week. Ninety and sunny. Getting some beach time
    In.

#winning

Ugh, Guam's so muggy. The poor man's Hawaii.

Super fun strip though. Highly recommend the fake tattoo parlor if you want to freak out a loved one.

I guess we're getting a few inches of snow tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a snow day.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    Japan: Because Anything Can Be Anthropomorphized Into A Cute Girl.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Calgary, Edmonton & Red Deer are locked into some terrible snow Hell right now.

I'm so glad I'm no longer there.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Just hit ZeroF.

That's like -18 for you foreign devils.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Calgary, Edmonton & Red Deer are locked into some terrible snow Hell right now.

I'm so glad I'm no longer there.

Yeah, hitting -40 and having been on the receiving end of ~36-48" of snow in the past month has not made me a happy camper. (I'm not actually camping, I'm huddled in my mancave next to my PC tower to keep warm).

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Six degrees and a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Or in other words, my idea of perfect winter weather.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    We consider this incredibly cold because we live in a normal, non-hideous climate where god doesn't keep trying to throw ice-based plagues at us.

You must mean Oklahoma!

We get ice year round!

6d1aa91538a86974d94570fd7bf3fd8e.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    In other news, my Traction Control light has been getting a workout. While the main roads are clear, I guess the city is taking a "wait for the sun" approach to neighborhood streets.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    34F in Juneau, Alaska and just kinda cloudy: Because this state is god damn huge and not all of it is a frozen tundra wasteland!

wWuzwvJ.png