As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Thread; Wearing Adam Pardy's Helmet

19495969798100»

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Completely unConfirmed, but I'm hearing that Neal got 5 games. I was not expecting him to get that many, to be honest.

EDIT: Apparently this is his third suspension?

Also, completely forgot there was a Leafs/Bruins game yesterday. Just saw the crushing Phaneuf hit on Miller. Literally cringed watching it.
    http://youtu.be/hZDJrfhz1Qw

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    That still Jack Edwards? Can't stand the guy.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    A lot of people apparently can't. I don't mind him and occasionally find him entertaining with the crazy shit he says.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I don't think you can expect the same as Scott's 7 games for Thorton, @Le_Goat because it was basically a pre-meditated assault vs a bad hit in the confines of a contact sport. I also think the league is looking to make an example for him - Politics will be at play because the optics of this is so bad.

Neal deserved way more than 5 games, but it's notable that he got the max punishment on a play that didn't actually injure the guy (NHL punishment is always based on injury or not, even if I don't agree with that).

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I think Neal should've gotten more. He's done stuff like that before and needs to learn that's not acceptable. Maybe he'll figure it out this time.

Matrias wrote: »
    I don't think you can expect the same as Scott's 7 games for Thorton, @Le_Goat because it was basically a pre-meditated assault vs a bad hit in the confines of a contact sport. I also think the league is looking to make an example for him - Politics will be at play because the optics of this is so bad.
    You make a good point.

• ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    I don't see how anyone can call Orpik's hit on Eriksson clean when Eriksson never touches the puck. Other than that, the only other difference between that hit and the hit Gryba laid on Eller in the playoffs (for which he was suspended) last year is the lack of blood. Orpik's a cheap player.

Still doesn't excuse what was done to him. That was pretty gross to watch.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I think Neal should've gotten more. He's done stuff like that before and needs to learn that's not acceptable. Maybe he'll figure it out this time.

A solid month minimum if I were in charge. Probably a half season. That shit needs to go and fuck you if you do it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I figure Phaneuf for 3 games. Still an idiot in that game.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Valleo wrote: »
    Orpik's a cheap player.

No suspensions since 2006 for, iirc, his hit on Eric Cole.

Totes dirt.

As for the Thornton suspension, you also need to take in mind that the NHL is currently being sued for itKs lack of actions taken to reduce concussions. The lawerys of that suit are, indeed, paying very close attention to how the NHL will handle Thornton. 10 games is my guess.

• shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    I don't see how anyone can call Orpik's hit on Eriksson clean when Eriksson never touches the puck. Other than that, the only other difference between that hit and the hit Gryba laid on Eller in the playoffs (for which he was suspended) last year is the lack of blood. Orpik's a cheap player.

Still doesn't excuse what was done to him. That was pretty gross to watch.

pretty sure he touches the puck behind his back, looks like the puck changes speed. Maybe slightly more clear in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVeb51AMmD8&feature=youtu.be&t=15s&noredirect=1

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Orpik's a cheap player.

Totes dirt.

As for the Thornton suspension, you also need to take in mind that the NHL is currently being sued for itKs lack of actions taken to reduce concussions. The lawerys of that suit are, indeed, paying very close attention to how the NHL will handle Thornton. 10 games is my guess.

I suspect a knee to the head is more likely to cause a concussion than the punches, which is probably what he's going to get the book thrown at about.

Well, yes, that is what I just said.

Concussion means the punishment is going to be bigger, doubly so because the NHL is currently being sued for their lack of action taken to reduce concussions.

And my point was that Neal's suspension is too light. The NHL pretends to care, but they don't actually.

Not saying that a knee to the head isn't bad and 5 games is light doubly so for a third suspension at age 26, but I think you are downplaying throwing a guy onto his back then throwing three punches (really two and an elbow) to a defensiveless man while his head is on the ice and you are standing over him throwing all you weight straight down.

I think they are probably both as likely to cause one, despite how easy it'd be for me to claim emperical evidence says otherwise :P

edited December 2013
    I would suspend Neal for like 40 and Thornton like 30 for the slew foot + 10 for the punches to a defenseless player.

I am for harsh discipline.

enlightenedbum on
    Realy wish I could hear what Jermey Roenick thinks about this topic. I'm at the bar, but the tagline on the piece is "Orpik refused to fight Thornton" So...

probably missing some amazing analysis

edited December 2013
    Oh now theyre showing Bertuzzi Moore.

Maybe not as bad as I thought.

Burtletoy on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Fuck Bertuzzi. That is all.

edited December 2013
    Le_Goat wrote:
    Also: Anyone heard how Orpik is doing? Last I heard was the he was conversing, which is a good sign.

Bylsma said he was doing 'quite good'

Shero said he was in bad shape

Bylsma restated his quote as doing quite well for being unconcious for at least 30seconds and being taken off the ice on a strecher. And that he doesn't have memory of anything after the anthem before the game.

Sounds better than some concussions and worse than others.

Burtletoy on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The suspensions in the league will continue to be a joke until 5 games is the minimum suspension that is handed out for anything. If the league truly wanted to change player behaviour, they'd be handing out ten, twenty, thirty game suspensions for truly egregious plays.

But the league doesn't want to change player behaviour badly enough to make those decisions.

:so_raven:
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It is more likely that the league doesn't want to deal with the NHLPA, if you start handing out huge suspensions the union is going to start getting pissed off. Remember when they tried voting out fighting and it was the union who said they didn't want to get rid of it?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Orpik's a cheap player.

Totes dirt.

So suspensions are the only barometer for whether a player is cheap. Gotcha.

Orpik is a lot like Ulf Samuelsson. Cheap late hits, often after the play is dead, hits from behind. He's may not be a predator like Torres, but still a cheap piece of shit.

edited December 2013
    I'm dying to hear your opinion about Shawn Thornton

ie: favorible zone starts, 8 minutes a night, 2n worst corsi on the team. I wonder what he gets paid for. (it isn't to play hockey)

Burtletoy on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Bruins fan compares a penguin he doesn't like to to Ulf Samuelson? now you know he's not being objective.

the only thing wrong with that hit is it's maybe an interference penalty. it's not dirty at all and clean enough to eat off of. Loui could have the puck, still get hit the same way, concussed, and it'd still be clean.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited December 2013
    I'm not a Bruins fan, and I think Shaun Thornton is kind of a waste of a roster spot. I just don't like Brooks Orpik.

Edit: As an aside, I'll mention that I'm a long time Quebec/Colorado fan, and since moving to Ottawa in 2005 have started following the Senators as well. And it kills me every time Kassian is dressed, taking a spot away from a real hockey player, to play for 2 minutes.

Valleo on
    Aegis wrote: »
    I figure Phaneuf for 3 games. Still an idiot in that game.
    Looks like he got 2.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Yzerman is playing in the alumni game. All is right with the world.

Edit: Also, Datsyuk is back and scoring goals. All is good

quovadis13 on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    One hell of an ovation in Calgary for Iginla. Wow. Always loved the guy. Kinda gets you right in the feels.

Jayricho on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    OV with 4 goals jebus. Glad I have him on my money roster.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    OV with 4 goals jebus. Glad I have him on my money roster.

Yeah, I've got him in the PA league but my opponent has him in my money league :(

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited December 2013
    TSN posted this from Florida....

1500756_10152245742731055_1348745586_o.jpg

Must have been interesting peeling the paper off with the glass already installed.

Jayricho on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Are we sure It's glass and not just a chunk of cardboard they pull out of a dumpster? It is the panthers after all.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Detroit lost there in a shootout. Surprise!

Jayricho wrote: »
    According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, the “plywood” was actually a pane of plexiglass that had the protective backing still stuck to it. The Panthers originally tried to use a piece that had the backing stripped from it, but that pane broke on the way to the ice and this was the “third string” glass. And much like a third-string quarterback, it was annoying and ineffective.

The NCAA announced sites for the next several Frozen Fours today. 2016 is in Tampa (second time, somehow). Who's the host school?
    Wisconsin!